^*~*~*^Official 2007 Secondary Questions Thread^*~*~*^

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pemberley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got Georgetown's, thought I should post their question to help others out (They accompanied it with a letter warning those of us with crummy GPAs not to apply, emphasized that they were sending the link out to everybody with a validated AMCAS and we shouldn't spend our money needlessly if we're not in their range, etc, etc... Nice of them to warn us and all, but I wish if they were going to screen us out, they'd do it, not just talk about how they'll probably do it after I give them $$$)

Please submit a one-page essay, single-spaced, one side only, on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of white paper, with name, AAMC ID number, and date, which answers this question:

Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future?

Edit: At somebody's request, I'm putting a copy of the whole list here for newcomers who start at the beginning:

Edit: I took the list out of this post because if it's here, nobody but me can update it, and people get confused. Go to the most recent page in the thread for a complete, linked list of schools and secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Feel free to use this as the Official 2007 Secondary Questions thread.

I'll post a link to it in the sticky on the top of the page and edit the name.

MollyMalone said:
Feel free to use this as the Official 2007 Secondary Questions thread.

I'll post a link to it in the sticky on the top of the page and edit the name.

Does anyone know if Georgetown is rolling or not? I'm trying to figure out whether it'd be okay for me to put off the secondary for a while or to get it done in the next 2 weeks...Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia's Secondary Essay Questions

1. What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician?*

Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 2475 CHARACTERS.

2. In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?*

Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

3. Please list collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies*

Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 345 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?*

LIMIT WRITING TO 200 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

5. What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?*

Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1100 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.

Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 1300 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here.

Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges. The only exception is courses that do not fit into the course history pages. For courses that do not fit into the course history pages, upload a document at the bottom of the Additional Course History section.

You may upload only one document here. Merge your information into a single file before uploading it.

Fee: $75

Homer Simpson said:

1. What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician?*

Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 345 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?*

Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1100 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.

Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 1300 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here.

Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges. The only exception is courses that do not fit into the course history pages. For courses that do not fit into the course history pages, upload a document at the bottom of the Additional Course History section.

You may upload only one document here. Merge your information into a single file before uploading it.

does the * link to a note?

Homer Simpson said:

Hey, I was just checking out the secondary and I didn't see any of these questions, I'm only getting general info type stuff, which I can click links to on the right. Where'd you find these questions?
Thanks, good luck

ltrain said:
does the * link to a note?
No, I believe it indicates a required section.

fasteddieb85 said:
Hey, I was just checking out the secondary and I didn't see any of these questions, I'm only getting general info type stuff, which I can click links to on the right. Where'd you find these questions?
Thanks, good luck
On the navigation menu on the left side, click on "Program". Then scroll down, and you'll see them listed there after the section for MCAT scores.

On the navigation menu on the left side, click on "Program". Then scroll down, and you'll see them listed there after the section for MCAT scores.[/QUOTE]

Got it, thanks a lot

Case Western Secondary Essay Questions

Essay (Required)
The Admissions Committee is interested in gaining insight into you as a person. Type or Copy and Paste a brief essay on a subject outside of medicine, which has been an area of great interest to you. Please limit your essay to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Research Essay (Required)
If you have had experience doing research or other scholarly work, please describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. In addition, please add your thoughts about why this research experience has motivated you to consider a career as a physician investigator (limit your response up to an additional page).

Affiliations
Has any member of your family ever been affiliated with Case Western Reserve University and/or Cleveland Clinic as a student, staff, or faculty member? If so, please explain. If your answer to this question is 'no', please leave this area blank.

Fee: $85

Bump.

MCW Doesn't have any essays, kids. Rock on.

University of Chicago/Pritzker's Secondary Essay Questions (for regular MD applicants)

2400 characters for each essay including spaces

3A. Relate an experience in which you felt you truly helped someone. Please describe what you learned about your values and motivation for helping others.

3B. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice.

3C. At the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, we strive to identify students who will be a great "fit" with our Medical School. Our Mission Statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. Please include examples of past community, clinical, educational, and research experiences, as well as your future goals. "At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

9. Additional Information Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. There is a limit of 1000 characters including spaces.

This is different from last years. I had already started the questions doh!

Homer Simpson said:
University of Chicago/Pritzker's Secondary Essay Questions (for regular MD applicants)

2400 characters for each essay including spaces

3A. Relate an experience in which you felt you truly helped someone. Please describe what you learned about your values and motivation for helping others.

3B. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice.

3C. At the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, we strive to identify students who will be a great "fit" with our Medical School. Our Mission Statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. Please include examples of past community, clinical, educational, and research experiences, as well as your future goals. "At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

9. Additional Information Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. There is a limit of 1000 characters including spaces.

Members don't see this ad :)
It could get pretty tough to find things in here once a few more secondaries & random questions are added, so I'm going to try an occasional index post. I don't really know whether this will work.

We have so far:
Case Western
Columbia
Georgetown
Medical College of Wisconsin: no essays
University of Chicago

Is that all we have so far? Do these links work for you guys?

Pemberley said:
It could get pretty tough to find things in here once a few more secondaries & random questions are added, so I'm going to try an occasional index post. I don't really know whether this will work.

We have so far:
Case Western
Columbia
Georgetown
University of Chicago

Nice job, the links work for me!

Pemberley said:

We have so far:
Case Western
Columbia
Georgetown
University of Chicago

EXCELLENT!!!!

Thanx for the links. :thumbup:

Homer Simpson said:
Case Western Secondary Essay Questions

Essay (Required)
The Admissions Committee is interested in gaining insight into you as a person. Type or Copy and Paste a brief essay on a subject outside of medicine, which has been an area of great interest to you. Please limit your essay to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Research Essay (Required)
If you have had experience doing research or other scholarly work, please describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. In addition, please add your thoughts about why this research experience has motivated you to consider a career as a physician investigator (limit your response up to an additional page).

Affiliations
Has any member of your family ever been affiliated with Case Western Reserve University and/or Cleveland Clinic as a student, staff, or faculty member? If so, please explain. If your answer to this question is 'no', please leave this area blank.

Fee: $85

I'm guessing the 1 page 3,500 character count is for single-spaced essay? 1page double-spaced only gives about 1,800.

naraeko said:
I'm guessing the 1 page 3,500 character count is for single-spaced essay? 1page double-spaced only gives about 1,800.
It's submitted online kind of like the personal statement on the amcas application. You can write it in word or notepad, then copy and paste it in the window. So, yeah, single space.

NJMS Secondary

In-state: no essays :D

Out-of-state (about half a page for each):
4a. Please describe the specific and/or unique reasons you have applied to NJMS.

4b. Do you have any current or past connections to New Jersey?
(i.e. family, friends, previous residence, etc.)

University of Michigan Secondary Essay Questions

B. NON-ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES. List up to six of your most valued recent non-academic activities (such as research, clinical experiences, community service, employment). Include information about hours per week and duration of involvement for each.

C.1 ESSAY.
Select one experience from your list in part B (Non-Academic Activities) and describe in a brief essay how it impacted on your decision to go into medicine. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

MSTP applicants only: Instead of the above, briefly describe why you decided to apply to the U of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., briefly explain (we recognize that your interests may change).

C.2 ESSAY.
At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

doesn't look like anyone has posted for GW yet, so here it goes:

Briefly describe the specific factors that motivated you to apply to The George Washington University School of Medicine. Please restrict your answer to 8 lines.

Then they have the usual if you have been out of school or convicted for something questions. The 8 lines is in a PDF.

Pemberley said:

We have so far:
Case Western
Columbia
Georgetown
University of Chicago

Links work fine. I would just be better if they were at the top of the page. Could you flip flop this post and the GTown one you have on the top to make it easier to read?

Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine. (500 words)

Also have to rank your achievements/distinctions and extracurricular from your AMCAS in order of importance.

Then there's the basic questions about if you've discontinued your education, explain why; if you've been comitted of a crime, explain; and are there any considerations that might prevent you from succeeding as a medical student, explain why you believe they won't be a problem.

Fee: $75, which you mail in with a certification form.

Only the one optional essay:

(optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

Otherwise it's mostly just the basic questions. The only weird thing is that they ask for your ACT/SAT scores, high school GPA, and high school class rank, so if you don't have those, you might want to try contacting your high school to see if you can get the information.

Fee: $50

Describe briefly how you selected your undergraduate school and major area of study (900 characters)

If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (700 characters)

If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (700 characters)

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college: (600 characters)

Briefly describe your most rewarding experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud: (900 characters)

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment: (1100 characters)

You submit the application online, then print off a copy and mail it to them with $75 and a 2.5" by 2.5" photograph of yourself with your name and social security number on the back of it.

jstuds_66 said:
It's submitted online kind of like the personal statement on the amcas application. You can write it in word or notepad, then copy and paste it in the window. So, yeah, single space.

Thanks for the info! One more question. Is the second essay about research experience also required for MD applicants or is it just for MD/PhD?

shantster said:
Links work fine. I would just be better if they were at the top of the page. Could you flip flop this post and the GTown one you have on the top to make it easier to read?

I'd been going to put a new summary post every so often at the "bottom", or newest position, but this would work too... First I have to get my butt in gear and summarize all the new ones that've been added.

While you wait, here's the contribution from the Uniformed Services Univeristy of the Health Sciences (note: the "space provided" is about a page and a half):

FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS: This form is primarily intended as
your instrument to tell the Committee in Admissions about your
specific interest in USUHS for your medical education and to explain
your motivation for military medicine and something about your
experience or familiarity with the military services. In addition, you
may expand your AMCAS statement and tell us whatever you would
like the Committee to know about you. Be creative and concise in
your comments. Please type double-spaced and do not exceed the
space provided. If you are unable to type directly on the form, feel
free to print on a separate sheet and paste (physically) in the space
provided.

There are no essays or open-ended questions of any type for RWJ. There isn't even really a secondary, they just want your money and LOR's. And the fee is $75.

Pemberley said:
I'd been going to put a new summary post every so often at the "bottom", or newest position, but this would work too... First I have to get my butt in gear and summarize all the new ones that've been added.

I think that would be easier to find, especially for people that are just reading this thread for the first time. It would be in the same position no matter what.

The bottom works too, but it might be a little easier visually the other way.

how long do these rush answers have to be

shammgod23 said:
how long do these rush answers have to be

char limit 1000. so something like 1/4 a page?

Baylor
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.

https://www.bcm.edu/as/admis_web/ms_app/login/login.cfm
Haven't received secondary from them, but the link was listed in MSAR.

various questions about your criminal background and state residency, $75, plus 3 300 word essays:

Why UVa?

Describe yourself and medical career as you see it in 10 years.

Greatest personal challenge as a physician and how will you address it.

:luck:

CavalierMD said:
various questions about your criminal background and state residency, $75, plus 3 300 word essays:

Why UVa?

Describe yourself and medical career as you see it in 10 years.

Greatest personal challenge as a physician and how will you address it.

:luck:

Perhaps not surprisingly, those questions are not all that different from EVMS's!

University of South Florida
Enter one to one and half pages for the Essay question.

Please provide the committee with an essay profiling yourself, including, for example, work experience, travel experience, fun and diversions, family traits, education, occupations, hobbies and interests. If married, please include your spouse (and children). This essay should be different from your AMCAS essay.

naraeko said:
Is the second [Case Western] essay about research experience also required for MD applicants or is it just for MD/PhD?
I was wondering the same thing, it's phrased as if it is just for the latter.

JimiThing said:
I was wondering the same thing, it's phrased as if it is just for the latter.

It is for all applicants.

Can you tell what's one of the important things they are looking for? ;)

Anyone have Pitt and Cornell? They started e-mailing them today...

Has anyone received Feinberg's secondary yet? I was just wondering what their secondary essays are...

Thanks!

If you are not attending college during the 2005-6 academic year, what are your plans? Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.
(i think they mean 2006-7?)

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Medical College of Cornell University. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense?

MSTP has no additional essays.

Fee $75

University of Pittsburgh
(Limit your responses to 250 words or less.)

1. Describe a personal experience which resulted in a substantial moral or ethical dilemma. What was the outcome? We are reluctant to accept assertions that you have never encountered such a situation. Please do not address cheating in an academic setting.

(optional)
2. The recruitment of a diverse student body is a major goal of the University of Pittsburgh's Medical School Admissions Committee. Please tell us whether facets of your life and education to date would contribute to the achievement of this goal. Such facets might include your early education, socioeconomic status, culture, race/ethnicity and work experience.

BUMP!
I know there are people who need this thread. :thumbup

Stonybrook's secondary has a question asking what non-medically related experience has been most influential in your life? What if that is all I wrote about in my PS? Should I just tell them that, or elaborate on it? (Although at this point, I don't think I could bring myself to do that...) :eek:

Hey everyone:

Wright State Boonshoft School of Medicine (Dayton, OH): No Essays, Just a fill-in of your pre-reqs.

NYU: An open field about what you've been doing if you have already graduated from college.

clarabelle said:
Stonybrook's secondary has a question asking what non-medically related experience has been most influential in your life? What if that is all I wrote about in my PS? Should I just tell them that, or elaborate on it? (Although at this point, I don't think I could bring myself to do that...) :eek:

i've seen a lot of people with your exact problem.
if u feel like you got your point across in your PS, i'd try to find another topic. there's no point in repeating. :)