^*~*~*^Official 2007 Secondary Questions Thread^*~*~*^

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can someone add ohio state please?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the length requirements on the Iowa essays?

ahhh123 said:
can someone add ohio state please?
In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities.
(600 words or less)
In the space provided, describe your motivation for a career in medicine and experiences you have had that helped confirm this desire.
(600 words or less)

I think the link to the Pitt essay is a little off. The second essay says nothing about "Such instances might include...." :confused:

Wake Forest 2ndary "essays":

In which service activity that you listed on the AMCAS application do you feel made the most impact on someone else?

Which service activity had the most impact on you?

Personal Comments (Complete if you have additional comments or something specific to say to the school):

No limit on any of them.

SUNY Downstate:

If you are not attending college/university full-time as of September 15, 2006, please describe your activities for July 1,2006-June, 2007.

[Only if this applies to you] If you are not from the New York City metropolitan area (Five Boroughs), describe what personal experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system?

[Only if this applies to you] If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend medical school in New York City, please explain

[Optional] If you have a specific reason why you have chosen to apply to SUNY Downstate's College of Medicine, please explain.

No word limit on any of them, and they all say to attach an additional sheet if needed.

Thread is way to helpful to be on 3rd page....so here is my first bump as a SDNer :)

Anyone get secondaries from the U of M-Twin Cities yet?

University of Kansas

"Please respond to the following questions. Your answers should not exceed 255 characters, including blank spaces. Questions 10 and 11 are required; you will not be able to navigate to other pages if question 10 or 11 is blank.

1. Of the experiences you listed on the AMCAS application, choose the one that had the most impact and describe how it has influenced your decision to become a physician.

2. If you are not a Kansas resident, what is your specific interest in applying to the University of Kansas School of Medicine?

3. Would you describe yourself as coming from a disadvantaged background? If yes, explain in the space provided. Otherwise, type NO in the space.

4. If necessary, update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation time, additions to your extracurricular activities, or other pertinent information.

5. If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

6. If you are currently enrolled, or plan to be enrolled during the next academic year, in a graduate or professional degree program, please describe your status within the program and your intentions to complete the program. You must also request a letter from your graduate program advisor or from the dean of your professional school. This letter must include acknowledgement of your application to medical school and a description of your status in the program.

7. Describe your student and employment status by answering the following: Are you a full-time student? How many credit hours do you average per semester? Are you employed? If so, how many hours per week?

8. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Please note relevant academic, employment and personal experiences.

9. For Combined MD/PhD Program Applicants: Do you also want to be considered as an "MD-only" applicant?

10. Have you ever been convicted for violation of a regulation or law relating to controlled substances (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved.

11. Have you ever been convicted of a felony (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved. "

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't find St. Louis University on this list, so I thought I'd include their stuff:

1. Please list the year/s of previous applications to this School:
2. Is any member of your family a student or graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine?
3. Were you a full time undergraduate student during the 2006-2007 academic year? If No, please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)
4. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? If Yes,... (no limit?)
5. Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?
6. I have read and understand the academic and technical standards and can comply with those requirements.

wow this thread gets lost too easily...but here are Penn State's questions: 3 essays, 50 word max for each (yikes)

Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (Maximum 50 words)

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)

Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 50 words)

:luck: :luck: :luck:

braluk said:
I heard UVM has started sending out secondaries. Anyone mind sharing the questions :)

here you go from their instructions:
1000 Character max each

Residency History

[1] Please list the cities and town in which you have lived from birth to the present. Please include the present approximate population of each.
Example:
Ages- Birth to 15 – Los Angeles, CA, population 1.2 million
Ages 15 – 18 – Montpelier, VT, population 8,300
Ages 18 – 22 – Burlington, VT, population 42,000

[2] Additional Information
Please list any additional information that you feel the admissions committee should be aware of during the application evaluation process.

I know people started getting stuff from Vermont. Does anybody know if they have essays and if so what they are? Thanks.

Penn state asks:

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)

you can't leave it blank it seems... so anyone else just writing NO?

Robizzle said:
Penn state asks:

i just wrote a little about my summer job but i don't know if it was what they were actually asking for. i couldn't think of a unique aspect of my application...is that pathetic? :( :confused:

Erina said:
i just wrote a little about my summer job but i don't know if it was what they were actually asking for. i couldn't think of a unique aspect of my application...is that pathetic? :( :confused:

not quite as pathetic as "No." ;)

Robizzle said:
not quite as pathetic as "No." ;)
well what i want to know is how we're supposed to know if there is something unique about our applications when we have no idea what the other applicants are like!

Erina said:
well what i want to know is how we're supposed to know if there is something unique about our applications when we have no idea what the other applicants are like!

haha i believe they mean pointing out taking time off, perhaps a really good publication, or some extreme experience like goin to africa. either way, i dont have any of that. and besides, all of those things stand out for themselves so i see no point...

Has anyone received Creighton's secondary invite? has anyone submitted Creighton?

jackieMD2007 said:
Hey everyone:

NYU: An open field about what you've been doing if you have already graduated from college.

NYU Secondary also asks: Has your education been continuous except for standard vacations? If no, please account for the time not in school. [no limit listed]

Does anyone know what the character/word limits are for NYU? My concern is if I go over some hypothetical limit, my essay will simply get cut off. Thanks.

:luck: Tulane :luck:

2. If you are not currently enrolled in a degree-granting undergraduate or graduate program, please indicate what you have been doing since you last attended school

8. Although interests may change, at the present time, in what field of medicine are you most interested?

12. What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had?

13. Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in the Tulane University School of Medicine.

Sorry if someone has already done this one, but I just got the Northwestern secondary (email) and wanted to contribute! :)

Essay 1 - Distinguishable Characteristics
Describe the distinguishable characteristics (non-academic) you possess and tell us how you think these characteristics will enhance your success as a FSM medical student and future physician.
(Limit your response to about 400 words)

Essay 2 - Personal Challenges
Describe a time when you faced personal adversity that was not school related. What coping strategies did you employ/develop? If you believe you have not had such an experience(s), feel free to tell us anything more you'd like the Committee on Admissions to know about how you deal with personal challenges (e.g. financial, relationship, family, employment).
(Limit your response to this space or about 400 words.)

Essay 3 - Other Professional and Personal Pursuits
Please select either a), b), or c) to answer:
If, by the time you enter medical school, you have not been (or, will not have been) enrolled as a full-time student in a formal education program for more than 6 months at any time, please list the dates below and describe what you did (or, will be doing) during your time away from formal education.

If you have been enrolled in formal education and have spent a semester or more overseas, please describe what you did and its influence on your personal development.

If you have been enrolled in formal education but option b) does not apply to you, please describe in detail an out-of-the-classroom activity that has influenced your personal development.
(Limit your response to this space or about 300 words.)

Good luck, everyone!

Robizzle said:
Penn state asks:

Just to be thorough, PennState asks 3 questions.

1) Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (Maximum 50 words)

2) Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)

3) Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 50 words)

Edit: Soooo.... nevermind. I guess this was already posted somewhere else. Sorry Robizzle you da man! :thumbup:

Could someone who knows how to make those handy links to posts update the previous list. I would, but I don't really know how. Pretty please :D

Sorry, I've been lazy lately.
The easy way to make those links is to open two windows to this thread.
  • In one window, hit reply on the last list, take away the {quote} and {/quote}. Then copy a line from one of the med schools already listed and paste where you want the new one to go. Change the name of the med school.
  • In the other window, click on the post number that's in the upper-right-hand corner of the post you want to refer to. This will give you the correct url. Paste into where the old url was in the old line, and you're good to go.

:)

We have so far:

Baylor
Case Western
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Georgetown
George Washington
Jefferson -- not really much of an essay
Johns Hopkins
Loyola Stritch
Medical College of Wisconsin: no essays
Mount Sinai
New Jersey Medical School
New York Medical College
NYU
Northwester
Ohio State Univeristy
Penn State
Robert Wood Johnson: no essays
Rush
Southern Illinois University
St Louis University
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Temple University
Tulane
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS)
University of California San Diego
University of Chicago
University of Colorado
University of Illinois Chicago
University of Iowa
University of Kansas
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
Univeristy of Pennsylvania: no essays
University of Pittsburgh
University of Southern California
University of South Florida
UVM -- I'm too lazy to find out what this stands for sombody "reply" and fix it?
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin
Washington University in St Louis
Wake Forest
Wright State
Yale

University of California, Irvine

UCI

In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class and also the potential of an applicant to contribute to society. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1800 characters, with spaces).

Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1800 characters, with spaces).

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1800 characters, with spaces).

UVM=University of vermont :)

Does anyone have University of North carolina's secondary essays?

Anyone have the essays for Wayne State?

Thanks.

respond to one question from each of the following two groups. please limit each response to one typed page (single or double spaced)

Group I
A. Describe a noteworthy experience you have had with others from diverse backgrounds (persons from backgrounds different from yours) and what you learned from that experience.
B. How would you personally benefit from training at an urban medical school?

Group II.
A. What individuals (excluding family members) has had the most influence on your life and why?
B.Describe your toughest challenge in life thus far and how you handled it.
C. What has been the most significant event or accomplishment in your life and why?

IF you have applied to the Wayne State University School of Medicine in the past you must also answer the Group III question.

Group III.
A. What is your understanding of why you have not been accepted to medical school thus far? What have you done to increase the likelihood that you will be accepted this year?

fyi, You have 4 week to turn them in through snail mail.

good luck

Hey...how is anyone who is not an URM addressing the optional question on the Pitt secondary? Are you addressing it at all and if you are how? I'm trying to decide if I should just leave it blank or come up with a creative answer.

Anastasis said:
Wake Forest 2ndary "essays":

In which service activity that you listed on the AMCAS application do you feel made the most impact on someone else?

Which service activity had the most impact on you?

Personal Comments (Complete if you have additional comments or something specific to say to the school):

No limit on any of them.

Anyone else considering leaving the personal comments part blank? I know I should do a why Wake, but really think its necessary?

ckdba said:
Hey...how is anyone who is not an URM addressing the optional question on the Pitt secondary? Are you addressing it at all and if you are how? I'm trying to decide if I should just leave it blank or come up with a creative answer.

I talked about my work experience as a Marine before college, and as a submarine officer afterwards.

ckdba said:

wait what optional essay....am i missing something??? i just looked and didn't see it (though I already submitted about a week and a half ago)

joanofarc0907 said:
wait what optional essay....am i missing something??? i just looked and didn't see it (though I already submitted about a week and a half ago)

If I'm not mistaken, he was referring to the essay question about the recruitment of a diverse student body. I thought this was optional, but cannot remember for sure. There were only two essay questions.

danjo said:
If I'm not mistaken, he was referring to the essay question about the recruitment of a diverse student body. I thought this was optional, but cannot remember for sure. There were only two essay questions.

I just checked, it def doesn't say anywhere that it is optional on the page. Hope everyone answered it :eek:

joanofarc0907 said:
I just checked, it def doesn't say anywhere that it is optional on the page. Hope everyone answered it :eek:

I just checked too...it definitely is NOT OPTIONAL! I'm not sure why I thought it was...must have been a different school!

danjo said:
I just checked too...it definitely is NOT OPTIONAL! I'm not sure why I thought it was...must have been a different school!

I don't actually have this secondary yet...but it says optional above it where it is posted on this thread...thanks for letting me know that it's not...guess i'll have to think of something now!

ckdba said:
I don't actually have this secondary yet...but it says optional above it where it is posted on this thread...thanks for letting me know that it's not...guess i'll have to think of something now!

Ah ha! Maybe that's why I was thinking it was optional! :oops:

Here's UCLA's Secondary (They don't take VirtualEvals by the way, so get your premed advisor to snail mail those LORs in!):

"The committee would like to know about your interests, experiences, and personal characteristics which are relevant to a career in medicine. Please only provide information you believe is important. It is not necessary or required to supply information in all sections. Each response is limited to 800 characters. A character counter for each response has been included to assist you with this limitation. You can save your information by clicking either the 'Save' or 'Update' buttons at the bottom of this form. The information entered on this form will not be available to the Admissions Office until you electronically file the information by clicking the 'Submit' button and pay the document fee."

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

UT-Memphis: $50.00 bucks, a photo, and an optional essay:

"Please attach sheet, if necessary, to provide additional information not previously provided in the personal comments of your AMCAS application. (optional)"

varunner said:
Does anyone know what either Vanderbilt's secondary or MCV's secondary essays are? Thanks!!

Here are VCU's:
1) Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours (limit of 250 words).

2) The admissions committee requests that you write another essay that provides us with some insight into you as a person. The content should NOT repeat anything that we can learn from the AMCAS essay. However, other than that you may discuss any topic you choose. The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

also
3) Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education