^*~*~*^Official 2007 Secondary Questions Thread^*~*~*^

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DF38 said:
BU and Tufts are up there, just look at the list further up the page. I don't know about the others since I'm not applying there, but I don't know if the secondaries are out yet, you can try checking out the other secondary thread.

Yeah I realized that and fixed my post (dam you are fast checker), I have looked at the other secondary thread and it looks like they are out.

Members don't see this ad.

eternalrage said:
Yeah I realized that and fixed my post (dam you are fast checker), I have looked at the other secondary thread and it looks like they are out.
If I had them I'd post them for you, but I didn't apply to any of them. I think I saw that Albert Einstein is up for viewing on their website, so you could try poking around there and seeing what you find.

UC Irvine

In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class and also the potential of an applicant to contribute to society. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1800 characters, with spaces).

Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1800 characters, with spaces).

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1800 characters, with spaces).

Members don't see this ad :)
Meharry

Please indicate why you wish to attend Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine?

eternalrage said:
Anyone feel like posting essay questions for:

U of Rochester
Albany Medical
Albert Einstein
Brown
UConneticut

I don't have these yet.

Brown:

Please indicate your activities for the 2006-2007 year. If you are in school, please list your courses. If you are working, please describe your job, including duties and responsibilities. (Supplemental pages may be attached.)

Brown Med values applicants excelling in one or more of the following categories: a) medical leadership and excellence; b)academic accomplishment; c)research experience and productivity; and d) community service. Describe how you plan to become an exceptional physician embodying excellence in at least one of these areas. (Supplemental pages may be attached.)

Do all schools require our AMCAS ID to be on the letters of rec we send in? Some schools did not specify.

albe said:
Do all schools require our AMCAS ID to be on the letters of rec we send in? Some schools did not specify.
I would think, if possible, that you should include it. It's not like they're going to penalize you for putting it on if they didn't say to.

Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) does not have "formal" essays, but if you fit any of the criteria below, they ask you write an essay (no mention of length limit) on an attached sheet of paper, including dates. I want to make sure anyone applying to AECOM is aware of this so they are not surprised.

Please check where applicable:

I have taken time off between high school and college.
I have taken time off during my undergraduate years.
I have taken time off between undergraduate and graduate schools.
I plan to take off this year while I make application to medical school.
I have applied previously to medical school. Please list schools and years
I have applied previously to Einstein. Year(s) (If you have completed two prior
applications, you are not eligible to apply.)
I am presently enrolled in the Sue Golding Graduate Division of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine...
I plan to take my qualifying examination in been a student since
(It is required that a letter of recommendation be submitted from your mentor and from the Program Director.)
I am presently enrolled in Yeshiva University. I will graduate in
(year) (Month)
I had been accepted to medical school previously but chose not to matriculate.
I had been enrolled previously in a medical school.
I have not completed the pre-medical requirements.
I am presently holding a deferred enrollment to a professional school.
Have you ever received a failing "F" grade?
Have you ever been subject to a disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons in any of the schools you have
attended?
Are there any disciplinary charges pending or expected to be brought against you?
Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?
Are there criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?
Have you ever been prohibited or suspended from practicing in any professional capacity due to or as a result of
alleged misconduct on your part?

If you checked any of the above, please attach a separate sheet of paper with a detailed answer that includes dates.

Bumpin' for Albany questions... Please?

Does anyone have the secondary essay questions for Stanford?

Robizzle says,

"describe yourself (1000 chars)
if selected for an interview, what life experience would you most like to talk about (160 chars)"

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just checking here with everyone.

Duke, Emory, Mayo, Stanford, SUNY Buffalo, and UCSF are not out yet correct?

goodfella said:

Emory sent emails saying that they're still working on the secondary and it should be out in August... That's the latest I've heard at least...

I also applied to Stanford and didn't hear anything from them, but that could just be me...

goodfella said:

buffalo is out

Ummm..i just submitted my Irvine secondary but no where did I see that second essay topic on overcoming a struggle...the only one I remember seeing is:

"In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class and also the potential of an applicant to contribute to society. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1800 characters, with spaces)."

And when I submitted it didn't say Incomplete or take me back to the essay section...did i just screw up bigtime??? Once submitted, you can't view any of the sections again, any help would be nice..

:scared:

goodfella said:

Haven't gotten Duke, Emory, or Stanford. Mayo sent out an email requesting a check for $75, and UCSF has been sent out to some, but I think they're doing it in batches.

WEIRD. I remember the overcoming struggle question. I wonder if there are different versions of the app?

IooI said:
Ummm..i just submitted my Irvine secondary but no where did I see that second essay topic on overcoming a struggle...the only one I remember seeing is:

"In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class and also the potential of an applicant to contribute to society. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1800 characters, with spaces)."

And when I submitted it didn't say Incomplete or take me back to the essay section...did i just screw up bigtime??? Once submitted, you can't view any of the sections again, any help would be nice..

:scared:

That or im a ****ing idiot...im ****ting bricks right now.

But thinking about it, if the application had been incomplete wouldn't the website have automatically sent me to the unanswered essay question??? Do u wanna be ballsy and try submitting yours while leaving a section incomplete and tell me what happens... :)

Can anyone give a word count for Rush's secondary? The sample app on their website does not state a limit.

Thanks

Here's the word from Stanford:

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school.

The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals.

1. Private Practice
2. Health Policy
3. Academic Medicine
4. Public Health
5. Health Care Administration

b. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

In 2003, the Stanford School of Medicine implemented a new curriculum to better integrate the scientific basis of medicine with clinical practice. A key element of this curriculum is a requirement for in-depth didactic and scholarly activities through participation in a scholarly concentration of your choice. Details of the curriculum and scholarly concentrations are available at http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum, which we ask you to review prior to answering the following essay question.

c. How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

There are also a bunch of additional questions for the MSTP.

Out of Stanford's 5 choices, where would primary care/internal medicine fit? Would that be public health?

And academic research = academic medicine?

BTW Anybody know UMass's secondary questions? Thanks!

dopey11 said:
Out of Stanford's 5 choices, where would primary care/internal medicine fit? Would that be public health?

And academic research = academic medicine?

I think academic research means academic medicine based on the choices in their list.

As far as where primary care fits in...I'm not sure that's quite the direction intended by that question. I suggest that you look at those five choices and think about which one describes how you plan to use your MD (rather than trying to see where the specialty you're interested in fits into those choices).

scentimint said:
Here's the word from Stanford:

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as .

Hey could you post the MSTP qs too?

dopey11 said:

If you are reapplying to UMMS, please describe how you have strengthened your credentials since your last application:

Please describe your attachment to Massachusetts:

Have you ever worked/volunteered or otherwise participated in any UMass Medical Center sponsored activities/programs? If Yes, describe:

What are your future medical career plans?

What career would you choose if medicine were simply not an option? Why?

These questions along with an endless supply of massachusetts residency verification questions make UMass's secondary especially dull :sleep: :sleep:

Lanced said:
Can anyone give a word count for Rush's secondary? The sample app on their website does not state a limit.

Thanks

Lanced,
I had the same question till I actually started the thing. Here you go. ALL OF THESE ARE INCLUDING SPACES.

Rush Secondary Essays and Prompts; Character limits:
1. (1000 character limit, incl spaces)
2. (1000 character limit, incl spaces.)
3. (1000 character limit, incl. sp)
4. (1000 character limit, inc sp)
5. List other careers you considered or enter "NONE":
a
b
c
6. (1000 character limit, including spaces)
7. List interests (outside of academics) in order of importance to you, with a. being the most important: (60 character limit for each answer, incl spaces)
a
b
c
d
e

8. Do you have skills/accomplishments/honors in any of the following areas: If yes, check off which apply. Check all that apply.
a. Artistic endeavors – painting, drawing sculpting, other
b. Entrepreneurial –have you started your own business, other
c. Athletics – Varsity athletics during college, other
d. Performance Art- music, theatre, dance, other
e. Other
Briefly describe (250 character limit includ spaces, for all of them together)

9. (1000 character max, incl spac)
10. (1000 character max, incl space)

whynot said:
Lanced,
I had the same question till I actually started the thing. Here you go. ALL OF THESE ARE INCLUDING SPACES.

Thank you sir

For durfen and anyone else who's interested...here are Stanford's MSTP questions:

The AMCAS application has required essay responses to MD/PhD program interest. You may use information from these responses in the sections that follow, but you are required to answer every question on the Stanford Supplementary Application, and it is not sufficient to simply refer to the AMCAS essays.

10. Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components.

Please be very specific, including the dates and amount of time you were so engaged. For publications or presentations that resulted or will result from this work, include a complete citation with the names of all authors and the status (e.g. submitted, in preparation).

Please limit your answer to 2,500 characters including spaces.

11. Please describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background.
e.g. I grew up in New York City, as the 3rd child of a high school principal and homemaker. I attended Mann High School where my major interests were boxing and drama.

Please limit your answer to 500 characters including spaces.

12. Describe your reasons for pursuing medical scientist training in relation to your long-term career goals? Why are you applying to a combined degree program rather than graduate or medical school only?

Please limit your answer to 800 characters including spaces.

13. Describe your current lab affiliation and the weekly time commitment required. (e.g. I am working in the Griffin lab where I performed research in the summer following junior year for 20 hours per week)

14. Describe any other research experiences you think would be relevant to the MSTP admissions committee decision.

15. Describe any patient-related, teaching, and service-oriented activities relevant to the MSTP admissions committee decision.

Please limit your answer to 600 characters including spaces.

16. Describe any other aspect of your background you think would be relevant to the MSTP admissions committee decision.

Has anyone received a drexel or temple secondary and if so what are the questions?

TheAbbot7 said:
Has anyone received a drexel or temple secondary and if so what are the questions?
as far as I know, no one has yet received a secondary from Drexel. I think they are sending the invitations via snail mail.

Do you know what the word limits are? Thanks a lot!

Slackenerny said:
If you are reapplying to UMMS, please describe how you have strengthened your credentials since your last application:

Have you ever worked/volunteered or otherwise participated in any UMass Medical Center sponsored activities/programs? If Yes, describe:

These questions along with an endless supply of massachusetts residency verification questions make UMass's secondary especially dull :sleep: :sleep:

dopey11 said:
Do you know what the word limits are? Thanks a lot!

I don't know if there were any world limits. They don't state it explicitly.

The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence. You may use the back of this page or attach an additional sheet of paper.

Using the back of this page or a separate sheet of paper, briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

Trisana said:
Anyone has OHSU ques?

What values and personal attributes gained from your life experiences have best prepared you to enter the profession of medicine? (1 pg, separate paper)

and then a list of activities

Johnny_one_eye said:
Thanks to ToGodALLGlory for posting in the other thread...

And here are the essays in case they aren't already posted somewhere (limited to space provided on secondary):
1. Why should we admit you as a student to Southern Illinois University School of Medicine? (~2/3 page)
2. Why you have the qualities to become a good physician? (~1/2 page)
3. If you have previously applied to SIU, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application. (~1/2 page)
4. Please indicate any experiences which you feel to be specifically relevant to:
A. The study of medicine.
B. Self-directed learning.
C. The small group tutorial process used in the problem-based learning curriculum. (~1/2 page)

btw, yes there's a spelling/grammar error and yes it is like that on the secondary ;)

Ookay and what do they mean by 'self-directed learning??' Also, are you guys just listing the experiences, or talking about them too?? I hate essays!

What address should I use to send LOR's to OHSU?

Thanks!

Anyone have Rosalind Franklin (aka Chicago Medical School) yet?

Thanks

Lanced said:
Anyone have Rosalind Franklin (aka Chicago Medical School) yet?

Thanks

Haha, trust me, you don't want it! It's a headache, but if you do, here is it:

"At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you."

It's on a pdf, so you have an allotted space.

Duckwizard said:
Haha, trust me, you don't want it! It's a headache, but if you do, here is it:

"At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you."

It's on a pdf, so you have an allotted space.

Thanks, do you know the character limit?

I like the avatar. :)

Slackenerny said:

PastJast said:
Oregon - pdf form. No essay. Brief question about any financial or academics disadvantage.

oregon actually does have an essay, something about personal attributes gained through life experiences that have prepared you to enter medicine

Hey- I called LSU New Orleans and the woman in admissions says that it's changed and they don't send emails out anymore...and then she gave me the website which she said I should be able to get to by just going to the admissions website....BUT there is no direct link to the secondary.

I called twice b/c a week or so ago somebody else (or the same person) said I should get an email any day now....Now this lady is saying it's changed? Do they change horses in the middle of the stream????

Anybody else heard this? They've had my AMCAS and letters since 7/18/06.

spospo said:
oregon actually does have an essay, something about personal attributes gained through life experiences that have prepared you to enter medicine

my bad, I only skimmed through it.

A. If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2006-2007 academic year. (If you are not currently in school, you may leave this question blank.)
B. Briefly describe (in approximately 50 words) what you are doing if you are no longer a fulltime student.
C. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement. Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe it in more detail.
D. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any special interests attracting you to Emory.

My bad, somebody already put on Stanford.