2008-2009 University of Buffalo Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no essay question on University of Buffalo's secondary application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Woooo applying there for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what their policy on letters is? I can't seem to find any mention of it on their website... it's quite possible that I've gone blind, though...

Edit: It's on the application itself:

I. Letters of Recommendation: All Applicants

Required is either a Pre-Health Committee Letter, OR three letters of recommendation with at least one letter from a science professor. Letters from TA's, Instructors, etc. should be countersigned by the professor, if possible. (MSTP applicants are encouraged to forward a letter of recommendation from a research mentor/advisor as well.)

Applicants with Graduate School Education
If a significant number of years have transpired since your undergraduate education, you have the option of excluding undergraduate letters but must supply us with letters from three (3) of your graduate school professors.

If you choose to continue using undergraduate recommendations and you:

are just beginning your Masters or Ph.D. program, no additional letters are required.

have completed at least one year of a Masters or Ph.D. program, one (1) recommendation from a professor in your program is required.

have completed two (2) or more years. Two (2) letters from graduate professors are required.

Substitutions
Applicants unable to secure the required letters of recommendation should advise this Office immediately in writing. State the problem and set forth the credentials (name and title) of the people who will submit letters for you.

Last edited:
Has anyone else received this secondary?

If so, how long after submitting your AMCAS did you get it?

I got it within about 36 hours of my AMCAS being verified.

Anybody know if they like re-applicants...especially ones that interviewed there the year before? :confused:

The MSAR say re-applicants are looked at the same as any other first-time applicant. However, the actual stats of this years applicant pool which you are compared to may hurt or help your chances since it is different from last year's.

Does anyone know what their policy on letters is? I can't seem to find any mention of it on their website... it's quite possible that I've gone blind, though...

Edit: It's on the application itself:

I. Letters of Recommendation: All Applicants

Required is either a Pre-Health Committee Letter, OR three letters of recommendation with at least one letter from a science professor. Letters from TA’s, Instructors, etc. should be countersigned by the professor, if possible. (MSTP applicants are encouraged to forward a letter of recommendation from a research mentor/advisor as well.)

Applicants with Graduate School Education
If a significant number of years have transpired since your undergraduate education, you have the option of excluding undergraduate letters but must supply us with letters from three (3) of your graduate school professors.

If you choose to continue using undergraduate recommendations and you:

are just beginning your Masters or Ph.D. program, no additional letters are required.

have completed at least one year of a Masters or Ph.D. program, one (1) recommendation from a professor in your program is required.

have completed two (2) or more years. Two (2) letters from graduate professors are required.

Substitutions
Applicants unable to secure the required letters of recommendation should advise this Office immediately in writing. State the problem and set forth the credentials (name and title) of the people who will submit letters for you.

does any one know where to send these LORs since they don't use virtualEvals?

does any one know where to send these LORs since they don't use virtualEvals?

Somewhere in that secondary they list the address. I believe it is the same as the admissions office, but you should double check to make sure. :thumbup:

Somewhere in that secondary they list the address. I believe it is the same as the admissions office, but you should double check to make sure. :thumbup:

They list it in the secondary e-mail notification, but here it is if anybody can't find it:

Medical School Admissions
University at Buffalo
131 Biomedical Education Bldg.
Buffalo, NY 14214-3013

My LoRs were snail mailed 3 weeks ago and my app is still "incomplete". Any other VE people in the same boat?

Mine is complete now, but it took a while. I was marked complete there one or two weeks later than at most other schools.

How long after hitting submit and paying your fee does the status page show your secondary as being received?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do people have listed under "Current Status?" I'm at "No Action" which sounds like rejection, but I'm not sure.

What do people have listed under "Current Status?" I'm at "No Action" which sounds like rejection, but I'm not sure.

It's not a rejection. Mine said that until I got an interview invitation. I think it just means your application hasn't been reviewed (or any kind of decision made) yet.

No Action means there has been no decision yet a nd you are under review.

It will say "Non Accept" if you are rejected. I know from experience :(

No Action means there has been no decision yet a nd you are under review.

It will say "Non Accept" if you are rejected. I know from experience :(
Does it ever say "Pre-Interview Hold"?

I do not remember seeing that message.

ignore this, doing administrative stuff

where do you check your status? I received a email from them saying i was complete, but I just want to check online.

Thanks

hi guys,

do you know if the LOR is three maximum? or a minimum of three?
and, i know it says that it requires only 1 science, would it look bad if i sent 1 science and 2 from shadowing/volunteer experience? or should it be more academically related?

thanks! :)

Is their status page down for you guys too?

I submitted on 8/12 and am still not complete. How long did it take the rest of you?

hi guys,

do you know if the LOR is three maximum? or a minimum of three?
and, i know it says that it requires only 1 science, would it look bad if i sent 1 science and 2 from shadowing/volunteer experience? or should it be more academically related?

thanks! :)

I just called. They said that 3 was the minimum and there was no maximum. Also, very friendly.

My status show "No Action." I did get the complete email.

Out of curiosity... does that status change when they review your file? Or would it only change upon making a decision on interview status?

My status show "No Action." I did get the complete email.

Out of curiosity... does that status change when they review your file? Or would it only change upon making a decision on interview status?

Mine only changed when there was a decision made last cycle. It went from "no action" to "non-accept", unfortunately.

I submitted on 8/12 and am still not complete. How long did it take the rest of you?

Bump...I am still not complete and it has been almost a month. How long did it take for the rest of you?

Bump...I am still not complete and it has been almost a month. How long did it take for the rest of you?

I think it took about two weeks after my letters were sent. That was in July, though, so they're probably more backed up now. Even then, they took a bit longer than most other schools for me.

20 days for me. It might be normal because of the volume of applications at this point.

Any updates from this school yet?

Been complete since end of August...

I just got a invite today! complete Aug 15th, IS.

They emailed me with a date (Oct. 15th) but I had to reschedule. It seems like they haven't invited many ppl since the interview date is so early, so don't worry, I'm sure there's lots more invites to come!! They also said they're mailing a letter as well, so keep checking your postal mail!

btw, they only interview on wed. i think since all the days available were on wed.

How long does it usually take them to mark your LORs as received?

so looking at the interview feedback, the interview questions here seems pretty nasty... All of the entries were from last year, so I was wondering if anyone from this year has had a interview already and are the questions similar?

so looking at the interview feedback, the interview questions here seems pretty nasty... All of the entries were from last year, so I was wondering if anyone from this year has had a interview already and are the questions similar?
The questions were definitely more thought provoking, often asking you to recall a certain point in time or event when you were stressed, felt depressed, etc....just really personal things.

It was actually a pretty relaxed interview. I did not get asked the weird questions...

thanks guys for the input...I definitely feel better now. was there a pop essay? I guess it makes sense that they would since we didn't write one for the secondary

hey i was wondering about interviews here. what sorta questions do they ask? are they still doing those random news article questions or methods of finding how many gas stations there are? or is it more like "tell me about a time when you..."

for those with interviews, how long after you were complete did you get your invite. i have been complete for about a month now! hate the waiting

Is it true that there is no advantage to being a NYS resident for Buffalo? When I posed that question, the office's response was "we pick the most qualified students."

I mean...it's a SUNY, something has to swing in favor of NYers...

for those with interviews, how long after you were complete did you get your invite. i have been complete for about a month now! hate the waiting

I'm interviewing next week and i think it took at least 6 weeks for them to notify me.

on another note. for those interviewed, did they ask you anything political like about the election??

Is it true that there is no advantage to being a NYS resident for Buffalo? When I posed that question, the office's response was "we pick the most qualified students."

I mean...it's a SUNY, something has to swing in favor of NYers...

UB hugely favors IS kids, and they don't deny that. Maybe you just got someone on a crabby day. They don't take many OOS kids, and those that they do tend to be pretty well qualified, but I think that goes for any state school. Last year they offered a seat to eighty some OOS kids, and I think about 35 took it, out of all of the OOS that applied. I don't know the percentages for IS, but they are much, much higher than those for OOS.

I want a Buffalo interview, badly. I love the school and the surrounding community!!

UB hugely favors IS kids, and they don't deny that. Maybe you just got someone on a crabby day. They don't take many OOS kids, and those that they do tend to be pretty well qualified, but I think that goes for any state school. Last year they offered a seat to eighty some OOS kids, and I think about 35 took it, out of all of the OOS that applied. I don't know the percentages for IS, but they are much, much higher than those for OOS.

Scowdeva, do you know how that intermediate pool works? I got put into it even though I feel I should be getting an interview with my stats, plus I am from upstate near Buffalo. Thanks...

They do favor IS, but I wouldn't call it "huge." Using the US News numbers, last year they accepted 13.9% of IS applicants, and 3.7% of OOS. If you want to see "huge" IS preference, look at schools like Kansas (accepted 40.8% IS/3.2% OOS) or even NJ Med (they accept about 27% of IS, and 1% of OOS).

As an NY resident, I don't know why the SUNYs don't show the same preference for IS students as other state schools.

As an NY resident, I don't know why the SUNYs don't show the same preference for IS students as other state schools.

I don't know but maybe because there are so many SUNYs and usually every New Yorker applies to most SUNYs. they probably think if they don't accept you, another SUNY will.

Status
Not open for further replies.