NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure this was mentioned before, but I can't seem to find it... Approximately how long after the interview does one find out the committee's decision??

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the average cost of living is for NOVA? I think OOS tuition was about 35K but what is the school's estimate for your other additional expenses (housing, book, travel etc). I was looking on the website and couldn't find the total estimate but maybe i didn't look hard enough?

The current budget is as follows (it changes a bit each year):
Out of state, off campus...
Tuition- $35,545
Fees- 644
Books/Supplies- 8290
Room/Board- 14940
Transportation- 2592
Personal- 2241
Total- $64,225

There is a one page spreadsheet that you can get from general admissions of any school. It shows you resident and non-resident. For each it shows with parents, on-campus, and off-campus. Then the breakdown.

True, books are rarely purchased. You'll buy a few but not many. However, you'll spend an ugly amount on test packets and reviews. It evens out.

It's a pretty good bet that you'll spend every penny you get unless you have rich parents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I know the source has been posted here before, but I wanted to attach some recent match lists here so I can link to them. :)

Attachments

• NSUCOM Match List 2005.pdf
    83 KB · Views: 494
  • NSUCOM Match List 2006.pdf
    80.9 KB · Views: 550
  • NSUCOM Match List 2007.pdf
    84.8 KB · Views: 662
  • NSUCOM Match List 2008.pdf
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,912
The current budget is as follows (it changes a bit each year):
Out of state, off campus...
Tuition- $35,545
Fees- 644
Books/Supplies- 8290
Room/Board- 14940
Transportation- 2592
Personal- 2241
Total- $64,225

There is a one page spreadsheet that you can get from general admissions of any school. It shows you resident and non-resident. For each it shows with parents, on-campus, and off-campus. Then the breakdown.

True, books are rarely purchased. You'll buy a few but not many. However, you'll spend an ugly amount on test packets and reviews. It evens out.

It's a pretty good bet that you'll spend every penny you get unless you have rich parents.

Quick question that you might know the answer to since you're a student there.

I see on the stafford website that students can get $8,500 and $12,000 via stafford loans, but is rest of the cost able to be covered by federal plus loans alone, or are students going to be forced to take out high interest private loans to cover the rest?

Last edited:
Quick question that you might know the answer to since you're a student there.

I see on the stafford website that students can get $8,500 and $12,000 via stafford loans, but is rest of the cost able to be covered by federal plus loans alone, or are students going to be forced to take out high interest private loans to cover the rest?

grad plus loans are federal loans also. you can take up to the cost of attendence with grad plus. anything beyond that is private

How are you guys scheduling interviews?? Ive called ab out 10 times over the last 3 days, but all im getting is a machine.

How are you guys scheduling interviews?? Ive called ab out 10 times over the last 3 days, but all im getting is a machine.

I called around 2 pm (EST) and set up the interview for 12/2. Crap, now I need to buy a plane ticket.

I haven't flown on a commercial plane since 2002. Can I still bring toothpaste?

I called around 2 pm (EST) and set up the interview for 12/2. Crap, now I need to buy a plane ticket.

I haven't flown on a commercial plane since 2002. Can I still bring toothpaste?

As long as it's 2 oz or under. Basically a little travel size. Toothpaste was something I always bought and threw away at each interview.

Or you can have any size on a checked bag. The 2 oz rule is for carry-ons. And at my airport, the size limit is actually 3.5 oz or less, so it's not bad.

It is actually 3oz, and u need to put it in a quart sized ziplock bag along with any other liquids, gels, pastes (they each need to be under 3oz). You are allowed one quart bag, and u have to take out the bag and scan it seperately in the x-ray machine. If you are putting this in a checked back you can bring all the liquids you want.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

(I used to work for the TSA :p)

Lol well for some reason they told me at my airport that it has to be under 3.5 oz... but I guess they were on crack. :D lol I'd stick with redrumi's instructions and play it safe with the 3 oz. rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova, I love you. Please interview me or at least pick up my phone.

Grad Plus covered the rest for me. You may want to do a bit of homework on who to use for your lender as you'll have to make a decision in an hurry.

I just checked my status, and saw that i was i had an Alternate/Hold Status on my app.

I guess that means on on the waitlist, but has anyone received any acceptances from this status?

Now I am a friend of ILikeFood;) Congratulations, dude!
I interviewed yesterday too and I just checked my email. I am in too!
Now I have to seriously decide where to go before my interviews start piling up. I am still here in the Keywest. So, I am just gonna' go out and go for a swim:cool::D

I just checked my status, and saw that i was i had an Alternate/Hold Status on my app.

I guess that means on on the waitlist, but has anyone received any acceptances from this status?

How are your stats?? It looks like they accepted a LOT of people already so they're probably just being extra careful with the rest of the interviewees. I'm not sure how much the NSUCOM waitlist moves. I know LECOM-B moves a ton, but I have no clue about NSUCOM.

facebook link NSU c/o 2013............for apartments you can go on rent.com or something and search the area to get ideas....alot of complexes advertise about how close they are relative to the campus. I think i'm looking at sunforest equity apartments.....2/2 is around 1200/mo and single is 1k+/mo..........sand and salt aren't much of a factor for your car unless you park on a1a

It is much more of a factor than you think. My brother was a high performance mechanic down there and all the wear and tear that one sees up north tends to show up a year or two earlier in south florida. You might not notice it much, but it is prevalent relative to the midwest or north.

Now I am a friend of ILikeFood;) Congratulations, dude!
I interviewed yesterday too and I just checked my email. I am in too!
Now I have to seriously decide where to go before my interviews start piling up. I am still here in the Keywest. So, I am just gonna' go out and go for a swim:cool::D
Congrats! When you headed back home?

Hmmmm I live on Long Island, and I'm literally on the water. Do you think my car has the same problem??

I was accepted today too. Hmmm there seems to be a lot of acceptances for NSU.... makes me wonder.

Grad Plus covered the rest for me. You may want to do a bit of homework on who to use for your lender as you'll have to make a decision in an hurry.

I thought stafford loans covered up to 32000 a year? :confused:

Subsidized Stafford per year: $8500
Unsubsidized Stafford per year: $32,000
Total Stafford per year: $40,500

Borrowing limits:
Aggregate subsidized Stafford limit: $65,500
Aggregate total Stafford limit: $189,125

I see that people who interviewed on Tuesday found out the very next day, so I'm assuming the committee usually meets on Wednesdays (maybe every other Wednesday?). Do you know if it is ALWAYS a Wednesday that they meet? I'm interviewing on a Tuesday so it would be great to find out the next day or even 8 days later.

I know they have a lifetime cap but I'm not sure how that is distributed. Still, 32k is less than half of what you take out in loans each year and a fraction of what you'll spend over the course of paying off your loans. You'd better get the tears out of your eyes about spending money now or you will be a sobbing wreck during the first two weeks of school ;)

Given the degree of speculation going on about loans, I would suggest that someone calls financial aid and posts correct info or you'll spend a month debating something that turns out not to be true. That's how med students are. Honestly, I don't give a damn about it. Why you might ask?...because it won't change anything. I can obsess all day long (as many do) but I'll still take the exact same amount out from the exact same lender at the exact same interest rate and pay it off in the exact same amount of time. So..who cares? lol

Med school inspires a flippant attitude about money that I never had prior to coming here. You will get nickle and dimed until you are bleeding money. $40 here, $150 there. Things like that happen in life. But during the first couple weeks of school it wasn't uncommon to have things like that 3+ times per day. Much of it is not practically optional.

But hey... we are where we want to be!

Hey, just noticed that the creepyoldladypicture posted the goods at 12:13 AM on a perfectly good socializing night.
A-good work, that'll end the speculation (who cares if it's true, she said it with authority)
B-get off SDN and go party ;)

How are your stats?? It looks like they accepted a LOT of people already so they're probably just being extra careful with the rest of the interviewees. I'm not sure how much the NSUCOM waitlist moves. I know LECOM-B moves a ton, but I have no clue about NSUCOM.

mcat 28
3.4. gpa.
published, and good volunteering

interview i thought went great. i talked to them for a while. all except one thing, they asked me who the father of osteo was, and i blanked. even though i talked about the philosophy more. i hope that wasnt the deciding factor.

Many schools seem to over enroll to matriculate a full class. Every year it differs as to the movement of the waiting list based on the set population that applies every year. I hope that helps!

mcat 28
3.4. gpa.
published, and good volunteering

interview i thought went great. i talked to them for a while. all except one thing, they asked me who the father of osteo was, and i blanked. even though i talked about the philosophy more. i hope that wasnt the deciding factor.
Oh the glorious A.T. Still... I know that Dr. Tu asks that specific question every year.

Oh the glorious A.T. Still... I know that Dr. Tu asks that specific question every year.

On my list of "the best things about NSU" Dr. Tu is on it. Thanks to him I finally GET anatomy :)

As for whoever was wondering about "seeing a lot of acceptances from NSU", you have to realize that you're on the NSU thread, where (mostly) people who have been invited for an interview are reading/posting. NSU has a pretty decent acceptance rate for those that they invite to interview from what I understand.

:)

Have a happy thanksgiving everyone! Some of my fellow M1's and I are getting together at the house, so I'm going to go finish cooking!

Ilikefood and deepa100 i too got accepted yesterday after interviewing on tuesday. What a relief!! I am definitely sending in my deposit although I still want to explore some other options. My experience at NSU was amazing!;)

NSU has a pretty decent acceptance rate for those that they invite to interview from what I understand.

Oh wow really?? I'm really hoping to get in here... I interview Dec. 9th... very excited!!

kkahkes, your stats seem very compatible with last year's entering class... I wonder if it was the lack of remembering AT Still's name. That's really annoying. But at least it wasn't a rejection.

Do we need a certain computer for school? Also, is the school website the only place to get a medical t-shirt? How long does it take for the acceptance packet to get to you?

Do we need a certain computer for school? Also, is the school website the only place to get a medical t-shirt? How long does it take for the acceptance packet to get to you?

They have the requirements online, but in short..no not really. They say it has to have like 4 gigs of ram or something ridiculous but it really wouldn't matter that much.

Where else would you get tshirts besides going to the bookstore or maybe some class sponsored shirt? I don't think NSU Med shirts are a high demand item at malls. ;)

I see that people who interviewed on Tuesday found out the very next day, so I'm assuming the committee usually meets on Wednesdays (maybe every other Wednesday?). Do you know if it is ALWAYS a Wednesday that they meet? I'm interviewing on a Tuesday so it would be great to find out the next day or even 8 days later.

I interviewed on a Tuesday and found out 15 days later. :cool:

No (despite what Nova may tell you)
No (clubs sell them at an obnoxious rate)
No clue

Do Nova students take NBOME shelf exams?

Last edited:
I interviewed on a Tuesday and found out 15 days later. :cool:

That's annoying. Not as bad as NYCOM though... I interviewed 11/12, and was in the second week of interviewees, and I still have heard nothing. I told them I had an interview 12/02 that I'd prefer not to go on if I heard from NYCOM first, and still no luck. Not fun.

hey all, i had a question for anyone that has submitted the deposit to NOVA.. ok here it goes, on the acceptance agreement they ask for a NSU ID number, did anyone that submitted the form have one, or just leave it blank? thanks!

HPD library
1125081022.jpg

Histology lab
1125081025.jpg

OMM lab
1125081031.jpg

HPD library
1125081038.jpg

1st floor of Terry Building
1125081041.jpg

Lunch on the second floor of the Terry Building
1125081222.jpg

Office of admissions
DSCF0455.jpg

Last edited:
Office of Admissions
DSCF0473.jpg

Exiting the Terry Building for a tour of the relevant parts of campus
DSCF0456.jpg

Same
DSCF0457.jpg

Exterior of their enormous library
DSCF0458.jpg

The University Center "Recplex"
DSCF0459.jpg

Lobby of their huge library
DSCF0460.jpg

Lobby of their huge library
DSCF0461.jpg

Last edited:
Upward view: lobby of the library
DSCF0462.jpg

Same
DSCF0463.jpg

Same
DSCF0464.jpg

Headed to the Recplex
DSCF0465.jpg

Exterior of the Recplex
DSCF0466.jpg

Interior of the Recplex
DSCF0467.jpg

Last edited:
Interior of the Recplex
DSCF0468.jpg

Same
DSCF0469.jpg

Weight Room. On the same floor are two full length basketball courts and indoor rockclimbing
DSCF0470.jpg

Exiting the Recplex
DSCF0471.jpg

Random shot of oncampus housing from the tourbus
DSCF0472.jpg

Last edited: