NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, how do MPH classes fit in here? I really would like to get in touch with someone who is in this program. Thanks.

The MPH is online. You have to do well for a semester of med school classes before they let you do it.

Members don't see this ad.

aterry, do you not value your time? You'll be 25 minutes from Miami and you want to do an MPH?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha ILikeFood, I do, honestly (and yes I know I am a dork) its something I am interested in. I am glad I don't have to worry about it until I am in my second semester. Are you honestly telling me you don't want to spend every waking moment studying?? I sure as hell do.

The MPH is online. You have to do well for a semester of med school classes before they let you do it.

Uh. are you sure it's all online?

The MPH sounds pretty awesome, I just don't see myself really using it much, otherwise I'd be all over it. They are REALLY supportive of students that want to do it.

Woww thanks a lot for all the info!!

You're welcome. I aim to please.

Are you honestly telling me you don't want to spend every waking moment studying?? I sure as hell do.

I'm going to study like hell just like the rest of you dorks. But on Mondays, when tests are done, I'm not studying. I'm going to sleep, watch tv, go to the gym, or head to the beach.

Hey good to know people are balanced here. I would hate to go to school with a bunch of people who only knew how to study, no relaxing. I am so excited to be going to a school in a wonderful climate. I live in Cincinnati now and it is freezing!! Check out the link below to compare average highs and lows of where you are to Ft. Lauderdale!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...ew&sfld1=Fort Lauderdale, FL&clocid1=USFL0149

Uh. are you sure it's all online?

The MPH sounds pretty awesome, I just don't see myself really using it much, otherwise I'd be all over it. They are REALLY supportive of students that want to do it.

My understanding is that the free MPH is the online one. There's almost always a classroom component, regardless, orientation and exams and whatnot.

Personally I'd rather pursue this after residency. There are SO many options for practicing physicians to get MPHs, much faster, with much more focused material.

But I do wonder if the folks doing the free MPH during their free OMM fellowship year are able to get the MPH done in that year, or if it leaks over into rotations. Yikes.

Edit: I'm on crack. From the catalog:
M.P.H. Scholarship All College of Osteopathic Medicine students who have completed the first semester of their first year and are currently enrolled in NSU-COM classes and in good academic standing are eligible to receive a scholarship for the payment of M.P.H. tuition if they are enrolled in the on-campus program option. To apply for the M.P.H. scholarship, a brief letter must be submitted to the dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine. The student should indicate the reasons for requesting the scholarship in the letter. Students who receive the scholarship must remain in good standing with the college. Students are eligible for the scholarship while they are enrolled in the College of Osteopathic Medicine. The scholarship is not available after graduation, unless the student continues as an intern, resident, or fellow with any of the Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine affiliated institutions. All scholarships require renewal by the College of Osteopathic Medicine each academic year.

Last edited:
Hey good to know people are balanced here. I would hate to go to school with a bunch of people who only knew how to study, no relaxing. I am so excited to be going to a school in a wonderful climate. I live in Cincinnati now and it is freezing!! Check out the link below to compare average highs and lows of where you are to Ft. Lauderdale!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...ew&sfld1=Fort Lauderdale, FL&clocid1=USFL0149
That's gross. Since I'll be a doctor in four years, I must show emphathy for your plight. So take my word when I say a single tear now runs down my eye.

I'm in Los Angeles. Haha.

I think the only thing that'll suck is seeing all the old people in Florida, with their golden tans and permed hair. I'm talking to you DrMidlife

Hey good to know people are balanced here. I would hate to go to school with a bunch of people who only knew how to study, no relaxing.]

uhhhh.....what?
You are going to medical school. That, by definition, means you'll be surrounded by people who are wound so tight that they s*** diamonds. You'll either be one of them, or have to pan for gold to find the people who aren't. Then you do and you get to laugh a lot at the frantic clicking of highlighters. :)

Regarding OMM:
No, I don't feel like we get much of it. I feel like what we do get, as alluded to earlier, is so inefficiently/poorly taught that it feels like it takes years. OPP (OMM) lab is unquestionably my absolute least favorite part of the week. I hate attending that lab more than taking some tests. It's really a shame because I came in so excited about it. When I talk to friends in other DO schools they describe a fundamentally different experience. That said, there are plenty of people who like the OMM training that we are receiving.

Regarding OMM:
No, I don't feel like we get much of it. I feel like what we do get, as alluded to earlier, is so inefficiently/poorly taught that it feels like it takes years. OPP (OMM) lab is unquestionably my absolute least favorite part of the week. I hate attending that lab more than taking some tests. It's really a shame because I came in so excited about it. When I talk to friends in other DO schools they describe a fundamentally different experience. That said, there are plenty of people who like the OMM training that we are receiving.

Yeah, I wish it was more consolidated. Whatever though, right? Just do your time.

I think the only thing that'll suck is seeing all the old people in Florida, with their golden tans and permed hair. I'm talking to you DrMidlife

Oh as if. I look about 27. And I'm not in charge of y'all's diapers, ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I look like Russell Wong. Our meeting should be a highly charged affair

Wong's hot. Unfortunately I'm like a v. young Madeleine Albright. With a bit of Bette Midler, but not enough.

Yeah, I wish it was more consolidated. Whatever though, right? Just do your time.

I think that when we get more into treatment we'll appreciate the slowlness of it a bit more, as it will probably let us get a better handle on the treatments. But the basic stuff? yikes. It's like pulling teeth.

That's gross. Since I'll be a doctor in four years, I must show emphathy for your plight. So take my word when I say a single tear now runs down my eye.

I'm in Los Angeles. Haha.

I just walked into work and it is 27 degrees out with flurries. (I am testing your empathy).

There will be aspects you'll miss with the weather up there too. I get a little more normal weather where I am in Florida, but I do love the brisk fall football weather and the crunching of leaves under my feet. I despise snow when I have stuff to do, but if it involves sitting around a fireplace with some nice wine and a movie...then I'm all about it.

I just walked into work and it is 27 degrees out with flurries. (I am testing your empathy).

Ew.

It's 40 outside for me, which isn't terrible. But it's dropping so that the highs later this week will be in the 30s.

And I'm kinda interested in the MPH, as well. You're not alone.

Looking at the class schedule, I'd have to say that it's one of my least favorite things about the school. I've seen a lot of the material before, so sitting in class that much might possibly be a complete waste of time for me.

I find the material interesting but I wonder when we go to class as we are pretty booked solid from 8-5ish throughout the week. I am looking forward to milder weather. You can get the feel of winter without having to deal with the freezing cold and all the darkness! I miss the sun!

For those of you who can't get in touch with Ellen- you may have better luck with Sarah in the admissions department: [email protected]

I scheduled my interview through her and she was very efficient at getting back to me. I also emailed her yesterday, and heard back this morning.

If you interviewed on 11/18 with me and got accepted this is what she said: "You will be receiving the packet in the mail within the next week or so. And yes you have until December 14th to pay your deposit"

Thanks so much for that information! Yay for getting a hold of someone too! I wonder who said they would go in and check with the admissions staff about this issue....

You have the same amount of light wherever you are during the year. The days are just more evenly distributed the further south you go. That being said, I'm in North Florida and it is still dark by 5:30 or so. (Later than up there, but still early enough to be a downer) I love summers and fall up north. I just hate having to trek around in snow.

Well I love the fall thats for sure...I am just looking forward to something different. I think you can be excited about something new without forgetting the things you liked about the old :) Are you in school now or starting with us?

Hey, does anyone know why the AOA match rates for Residency are falling? I looked at this link: https://www.do-online.org/files/lcl_optirepmatch.pdf and it looks like less people are getting their first picks than before. Is this because more are applying to MD residencies or because more DO schools are opening? I would love some info from current med students. Thanks!

Well I love the fall thats for sure...I am just looking forward to something different. I think you can be excited about something new without forgetting the things you liked about the old :) Are you in school now or starting with us?

I agree 100%. I live on LI and I love the weather here. We rarely get EXTREMELY bad snowfalls. A really big snowfall for us is 8-12 inches. But I do love the four seasons. The fall is beautiful, spring is like a breath or fresh air, and winter is great, but would be really wonderful if it were only like a week long (Christmas week) lol. But I'd definitely love a change, even for only a few years. I love the heat so it would be a lot of fun to experience a change for a while.

Any med students from NSU here who are parents? Please PM me.

Any med students from NSU here who are parents? Please PM me.

I can think of one off the top of my head...actually 2. if you give me your e-mail i'll happily e-mail them

as for checkign in with admissions, I just got home from school (pulled some extra time in the anatomy lab after OPP) so I didnt' get to check today(we were 9-3 then I went to lab) but tomorrow! I shall.

Thanks so much. Singinfifi, may I ask what your typical schedule is? I know the class schedule, but how much do you study and when? Thanks for all the help.

Thanks so much. Singinfifi, may I ask what your typical schedule is? I know the class schedule, but how much do you study and when? Thanks for all the help.

Mondays are test days. I normally go, take my test, then do something nice for my self be it get a massage (once a month...I joined this "massage club" thing that's pretty awesome...seriously Massage Envy...go join and if you do, PM me so I can give you my name because I get free massages if people sign up with me as a referral! anyway...), go to the beach, treat myself to a nice (diet unfriendly) lunch, or just hang out with friends for a few hours. this is NOT the time to run errands/be productive. Then I head home, study for about 2 hours (which normally involves reading for the classes I have in the AM, then wait for my friends to come over for Monday night dinner. no studying allowed.

Tuesdays I'm at school till 3 with labs. On tuesday afternoons I normally try to get out of school at 3. Sometimes I"ll meet with my physio tutor for 2 hours (which I HIGHLY advise, studying is SO much more productive with a tutor if you can afford it). What I *should* do after that is some anatomy...but I normally wind up starting on whatever test is the following monday. Outlining a plan of attack for the rest of the week/weekend. Then I'll read for whatever I have on Wednesday morning (There's dinner/2 hours or so to relax in there) and head to bed.

Wednesdays are laborous for me. I'm in school 8-5. It's lovely. Only not. I come home and HAVE to just chill out till about 7 or 8. Watch TV, hang out with friends, whatever. From about 8-12 I'll put in some study time (i figure, I'm already miserable, why not?) then realax till about 1. I never study until I go to sleep. It's just bad for the brain I think...and I always wake up with a headache.

On Thursdays I'm out at 3 (though some of my classmates, the ones that got to leave at noon on tuesdays are in till 5). Thursdays are a VERY productive study day for me, and it's not uncommon for me to do 2 hours of physio, 2 hours of anatomy and then 2 or 3 hours of me studying for whatever test I have coming up. Then i sit down and watch ER (no comments from the peanut gallery, I've been a fan since the beginning!) and go to bed.

Fridays I'm normally out at noon, unless I have IGC (shadowing) which puts me out at around 5. Friday's aren't as productive as thursdays, but they aren't bad. I'm normally good for about 3-4 hours. Then i'm done

This weekend schedule is when I'm IN town..when I'm out of town, it's anybody's guess, but normally I try to spread those hours out over the previous week (which means I don't do 2 hours of anatomy, I study for the next weeks test instead etc).

Saturdays I like to sleep in (w00t) till about 10, maybe 11. Get up, get out of the house (coffee shop, dennys, whatever) and study for my test on monday for a solid 4 hours. Run any errands I have, relax for a few hours, then hit the books again for another 2 or 3 hours before unwinding for the evening. This can be switched around if I ... you know...want to actually DO something on a saturday night. It's possible to do, I go out all the time with friends, to dinner, to a movie, I just don' tdrink when I do. That' sthe trick. not to wreck yourself for sunday!

Sundays are pretty much study/review days. I use all day. Starting at about 11 am and stopping at around 10. It is important to note that this is NOT cramming. It's REVIEWING I have stopped going over material "for the 2nd time" (the first time being when I saw it in class) by about 4pm. leaving me 6 hours to review EVERYTHING.

It sounds like A LOT I know it does, but I was just remarking to someone the other day that I don't think I study enough. Looking at that...I totally do. It's very manageable. Get a tutor if you can afford one, they are a godsend. don't be afraid to ask for help, and for God's sake, don't let yourself fall behind. My grades would be pretty flippin awesome if I hadn't basicaly missed 3 weeks of school at the beginning of the year due to an injury and then a week after the 2nd physio test (i got sick).

It's very doable. Eventhough our class days are stupidly long (or that's how it feels sometimes....) I still manage to have a life, have friends and yes, yes I even have a boyfriend :)

Lemme know if there's anything else I can help you with.

My days are far less interesting.

Weekdays
AM
-Class
Lunch
-Walk home, eat, lounge
Afternoon
-Labs, then walk home, eat, and lounge
530-6ish
-head back to campus and study until about 930

Weekends
sleep in
putter around, pack food so I don't have to come home, etc
11ish-head to campus and begin the grind
intermittent goofing off with other guys throughout the day
9ish-head home to get a good night's sleep

I cram a good work out into most days.
I usually grocery shop on Mondays after exams.
I try really hard to get 8-9 hrs of sleep.

Don't forget that there are nights when I completely screw off and chunks of weekend days that I use to dive, go out on the boat, or just clean my kitchen. There is also plenty of socializing that goes on during "study time".

It really isn't about being productive 24/7, just a matter of choosing how your time is spent. I'm still figuring it out. It's amazing how much you'll have to trim out things that waste time; people, hobbies, changing your own oil, etc. You do that to make time for studying and playing. Then you choose how to use the time you have. It's frustrating when you goof off when you meant to study, not because you don't have time for it, but because the time you would have spent goofing off later will now be spent studying.

With that in mind, I'm heading to bed.
Feel free to keep the questions coming. If they are really specific (or you just don't feel comfortable publicly asking whether it's really true that we have to do 25 push-ups for every wrong answer in CP lab, we do), just PM me.

Last edited:
I've got a random Q: so the NSU gym is really nice, but since it's open to the whole campus, does it get really busy/crowded? When do people (med students) normally work out? And are the classes free, or do you have to pay for them?

I haven't spent a lot of time in southern FL so I'm a bit concerned about the heat for running; I'm not a morning person so getting up at like 6am to run is not an option with me. Hence, the need to be able to go to the gym and not wait forever for a free machine.

And do y'all feel like you have enough time during the day to study? I know that as a grad student I spend anywhere from 2-8 hours a day studying, but clearly the higher end of that isn't possible if you have class 8am to 5pm.

Loving all this info... it's great to see how life really is in med school, and how it varies among people.

Off topic question: is it true that the acceptance rate at NSU post-interview is relatively high?? I have my interview there a week from today and am really psyched. I'm hoping my chances are decent.

Loving all this info... it's great to see how life really is in med school, and how it varies among people.

Off topic question: is it true that the acceptance rate at NSU post-interview is relatively high?? I have my interview there a week from today and am really psyched. I'm hoping my chances are decent.
Be sure to read the interview feedback. It helped me a lot.

I have not received mine yet either but I am assuming because of Thanksgiving we should get them by Thursday or Friday depending on your location and when you interviewed. If you interviewed anytime before Nov 18th and have not received your letter maybe you should call? I don't know...

I interviewed on the 12th. My online status said "accepted" on the 27th and got my acceptance packet on the 1st.

That's good to hear! I interviewed on the 18th so maybe it'll come sometime next week! For those of you who received it already, can we pay the deposit online with a cc, or do we have to mail in a check?

Last edited:
I shall do a primal victory dance when mine comes.

I seem to recall seeing that 80% of those invited for interviews are accepted, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of the figure, or even remember where I saw it. Nevertheless, I have heard that the acceptance rates post-interview for most DO schools are pretty high so yes, your chances are good.

Despite that, I was pretty doubtful that I'd get in. I was wait-listed at LECOM-B after what felt like a great interview. My interview at NSU was comparitively awful. My interview panel made me feel like a suspect being grilled by a team of "good cop" and "bad cop" with the emphasis on "bad cop". But I was accepted. :) So, as others have said, read the interview feedback and prepare for the questions. But if you get the "aggressive" interview style I had, don't worry too much.

Good luck!

I hear the gym does get crowded in the late afternoon eve, though I've never braved the crowd. Lots of medical students during that time. In the morning it is empty. In the eve is it fine too. I go when it's empty. This is primarily a commuter campus with lots of grad programs so it doesn't have the hustle of most large campuses.

I run here but am quite used to heat and humidity. No matter who you are, to a certain degree you'll acclimate. During the summer you can run in the evenings. During this time of year, run outside anytime.. If you want to run inside, I'd be very surprised if you waited for a treadmill anytime. It's the weight room that gets plugged up by the damn sports teams.

There is enough time to study. There just isn't a lot of extra. We don't have class 8-5. When you see the schedule you'll see. 8-3 is a long day. There are 8-5 days but they are rare. 8-12 days are far more common. (plus, not everything is worth attending..hehe)

I too got grilled during my interview at Nova. It was the most antagonistic one I had.

If the interview felt awful then you probably got in. It is like that usually. My NSU interview was great but I lucked out and really hit it off with my interviewers. I was feeling good when they said "when you're going here" and "we really need someone with your experiences". That isn't the norm though. In comparison, my LECOM-B interview felt really forced and awkward yet I got accepted. I felt like I did ok on my KCOM, AZCOM and Touro-CA interviews and got waitlisted or rejected from all of them.

To aterry (think), I'm most likely going to be starting there next year. I'm placing the odds at about 9:1. I'm currently waiting on a response from school. I'm sitting on the waitlist of another school, but they wanted to see my grades and I did absolutely miserable this semester. I'm interviewing at one more, but it is more an excuse to head back up and visit family/friends in indiana.

I seem to recall seeing that 80% of those invited for interviews are accepted, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of the figure, or even remember where I saw it. Nevertheless, I have heard that the acceptance rates post-interview for most DO schools are pretty high so yes, your chances are good.

Despite that, I was pretty doubtful that I'd get in. I was wait-listed at LECOM-B after what felt like a great interview. My interview at NSU was comparitively awful. My interview panel made me feel like a suspect being grilled by a team of "good cop" and "bad cop" with the emphasis on "bad cop". But I was accepted. :) So, as others have said, read the interview feedback and prepare for the questions. But if you get the "aggressive" interview style I had, don't worry too much.

Good luck!

Great, thanks for the input. :thumbup: I know what you mean about LECOM-B. I felt my interview there went very well but I was waitlisted, too. I can't wait until my NSU interview and I will definitely prepare with the interview feedback section. I did that for my other interviews, as well.

My interview for nova was AWFUL. I was convinced I was screwed. However, I got in. Also..my LECOM-B interview was pretty flippin' awful, and my entire experience there matched. Oddly, I got in there too. Actually, thinking back, I'm not freaking sure what happened, as my only GOOD interview was WVSOM, but I got in everywhere I interviewed.

The moral of the story is: YOU JUST CAN'T TELL.

At least, I can't.

Oh good. physio is starting again.

Can you feel it? Can you feel my excitement? :D
(actually, I'm kinda sick...I like physio....)

Oh! It's nice to know that others are waiting for the stuff to come in the mail too. I was afriad I was the only one.

I felt that the NSU interview was a little more relaxed than LECOM-B. Both were very nice though... :3 Good luck!

Did anyone else get the e-mail about the website being updated? I'm having trouble checking the website (I wish the mail stuff would just COME)... you just put in your id and pin right to that webstar thing, right? Thanks for any help! :D

For those of you who can't get in touch with Ellen- you may have better luck with Sarah in the admissions department: [email protected]

I scheduled my interview through her and she was very efficient at getting back to me. I also emailed her yesterday, and heard back this morning.

If you interviewed on 11/18 with me and got accepted this is what she said: "You will be receiving the packet in the mail within the next week or so. And yes you have until December 14th to pay your deposit"

Um we only have until Dec 14th!!!! Thats only 11 days away AOA rules state if accepted between Nov 15 and January 14th are suppose to have 30 days!!! This is a problem for me they are asking for a ton of money! I haven't even gotten the official acceptance letter in the mail! Freaking out right now!

Um we only have until Dec 14th!!!! Thats only 11 days away AOA rules state if accepted between Nov 15 and January 14th are suppose to have 30 days!!! This is a problem for me they are asking for a ton of money! I haven't even gotten the official acceptance letter in the mail! Freaking out right now!

Just call them. :lol:

I am going to post the instructions for the webstar for anyone. It is so complicated so I understand the frustration.

Go to http://webstar.nova.edu/
choose admissions
enter login ID and password (from secondary)
scroll down to processed applications and click on fall 2009
this will bring up the page with the decision on it....look for decision and hopefully it will say provisionally accepted! (That is the "accepted" status for nova)

Let me know if I can help more.

Also, skiracr456, can you put your deposit on a credit card? This will give you more time with it. You may also be able to open a new credit card with a low intro rate and pay it off as fast as you can. I was freaking out too so this may help.

Be sure to read the interview feedback. It helped me a lot.

I tried to get on the SDN interview feedback thread but it will not load. Keeps saying 'error on page' and will just reload the main page. Anyone else having this problem?

That seems pretty unfair since it doesn't jive with AOA rules. I'd definitely call them (if you can get through) and ask them if that's really the case. You definitely should have 30 days.

Until you get your acceptance letter you have no responsibilities. Reading on SDN that acceptees have a responsibility does not put the same responsibility on you. You'll have 30 days from the date of your letter, which won't necessarily be the same date as folks who interviewed on the same day as you. Make sure you can receive and sign for registered mail at the address Nova has for you.

I seriously encourage you to not be worrying about deposit due dates. You're not losing your spot. Worst case, if something random goes wrong, you can reasonably argue that the date you receive your letter is the date the clock starts ticking.