NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are other schools besides KCOM offering student housing.

The rest of what you said is SO true!

I'm sure there are. Just none that I've been to!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes!!!! Also "Provisionally Accepted"!!! Thanks for the help aterry!

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked my status. It says "Provisionally Accepted". I am delighted!

Interview invite...I am looking forward to it...I wish I could do it earlier, but schedule doesn't really permit me to interview before January, so it goes...

So for those of you who got accepted, where did you go online to check your status to find out if you got accepted or not?

redrumi mentioned this earlier in post # 847.

If you have forgotten your user name and password, call the NSU webstar help desk. They helped me out when I had my brain fart.

Just found out I got in!! Ashley I interviewed with you, I'm glad we both got in! :D Hopefully I'll be seeing you and the rest of our group next year!!

I'm amazed this many people are on SDN that have been accepted. It must be in the 20s or 30s now. I know some NOT on sdn accepted too.

I'm amazed this many people are on SDN that have been accepted. It must be in the 20s or 30s now. I know some NOT on sdn accepted too.

I'm too lazy to do it, but it would be interesting if someone would get the actual number accepted from this thread.

Woo hoo!! Interview invite. That was quick. I just submitted all my letters less than a week ago. :horns:

Nova does ;)

I never got anything mentioning it when I went, not that it matters since I stayed with my brother about 10 minutes away!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know what this "provisionally accepted" means? Is it real? or did everyone who got interviewed get that? I am confused!

Do we know what this "provisionally accepted" means? Is it real? or did everyone who got interviewed get that? I am confused!

You got in.

Make it 30.

Who all is sure that they are going to Nova? Just wondering....

That's quite impressive. That means that around 12% of the potential class is on SDN. I doubt we'll all end up there, but still not bad.

I was wondering if you could maybe explain this better - I was a little but confused about the internship requirement that some states have for DO's before they enter residency. At my interview, it was implied that a lot of places do not require the internship anymore? I thought that the match list on NOVA's website was for residency placements - is that not the case?

hey I am hearing you on being confused about this... I looked at the link DrMidlife posted and it is not really all that clear. I understand DrMidlife's point about not getting your info from SDN, but the point of SDN is to help each other navigate making the biggest decision of our lives. If any one else has comments on this internship bit, I would be interested in hearing it. Maybe some of the NOVA folks can comment on this??

I am very interested in going to NOVA and I am looking at some of the MD family medicine residencies that are focused on evidence based integrative medicine... if you graduate from NOVA, do you have to do another internship (aside from MD residency) to be a certified DO??

Sad there is no Facebook group for NSU-COM c/o 2013

Sad there is no Facebook group for NSU-COM c/o 2013

There was one. I was invited to it like a month ago.

Also, with the traditional rotating thing. I suggest you look up as much information about the 5 states that "require" it as possible. It really isn't a big deal and many times you can get it waived. It doesn't affect your schooling, but it can slightly affect where you end up practicing if you don't get the requirement or approval of your internship.

Hmm I couldn't find one. Thanks for the heads up though.

My status has said "please contact admissions office" for 12 days now. They said last Tuesday that a decision had been made on my file that the dean had to sign off on. I still haven't heard from them and would like to know if I was invited for an interview. I'm in NY, was complete Oct. 3rd, and if I get an interview invite, it takes some time to schedule flights, hotels, etc. I'm starting to get really angry at this admissions office. Why have I heard nothing?? If it were a rejection, would it really say "please contact admissions office" and would the dean then need to sign off on a pre-interview rejection?? This is just so frustrating.

I submitted my secondary 10-3 and mailed the signature form the same day. I was never able to login on the website until tonight for some reason. I called before and left a voicemail to be called back although never was. My status online says I'm missing the signature page. So after close to two months, they are missing my signature of all things. Very frustrating.

Has anyone that interviewed on or before 11/12 heard a decision?

My status website has said "contact admissions" for forever. I am frustrated because I have 4 interviews in December at lesser preferred schools. If I were to get accepted to Nova, I would probably not go to any of them. I have not bought any tickets yet. Consequently, the price of airfare is rising. but I don't want to buy a non-refundable ticket I might not need. It's like gambling.

Is it true I'll need to sign for an admissions packet? I didn't answer the door today because I was sleeping ( I work nights). If that's true, I guess I'll have to sleep in something I can answer the door in...

Has anyone that interviewed on or before 11/12 heard a decision?

My status website has said "contact admissions" for forever. I am frustrated because I have 4 interviews in December at lesser preferred schools. If I were to get accepted to Nova, I would probably not go to any of them. I have not bought any tickets yet. Consequently, the price of airfare is rising. but I don't want to buy a non-refundable ticket I might not need. It's like gambling.

Is it true I'll need to sign for an admissions packet? I didn't answer the door today because I was sleeping ( I work nights). If that's true, I guess I'll have to sleep in something I can answer the door in...

Yes it comes by certified mail so you (or someone) has to sign for it.

Nudity works just fine. You can also go to the post office and pick it up.

I would definitely email Ellen Rondino. She has been very helpful for me. I think if you explain your situation she may tell you on the phone/email. I will PM you her email address as I don't know how people would feel about it being in such a public forum. Good luck and I know she is doing interviews today so she probably won't respond, but I would let her know that it is urgent!

Finally got the invite. I had to email Ellen and she called me back and told me an interview invitation was emailed to me on Nov. 14th.. which is odd since I was told on the 18th that I would be informed shortly of their decision:confused:. This admissions dept. is so very odd lol... Anyway, anyone interviewing on Dec. 9th?? See you then :thumbup:

hey I am hearing you on being confused about this... I looked at the link DrMidlife posted and it is not really all that clear. I understand DrMidlife's point about not getting your info from SDN, but the point of SDN is to help each other navigate making the biggest decision of our lives. If any one else has comments on this internship bit, I would be interested in hearing it. Maybe some of the NOVA folks can comment on this??

I am very interested in going to NOVA and I am looking at some of the MD family medicine residencies that are focused on evidence based integrative medicine... if you graduate from NOVA, do you have to do another internship (aside from MD residency) to be a certified DO??

I don't know too much about this but I think it is the state that requires the 1 yr. internship. FL and MI are two of the (5) states that require the internship. I am not sure if you still have to do the 1 yr. internship if you don't do your practice in those states. For other states, usually, the one year internship is rolled into your residency program. I am also interested in talking about this. I did use this forum for info from time to time and benefited from it. So, it is not all untrustworthy information.

I would definitely email Ellen Rondino. She has been very helpful for me. I think if you explain your situation she may tell you on the phone/email. I will PM you her email address as I don't know how people would feel about it being in such a public forum. Good luck and I know she is doing interviews today so she probably won't respond, but I would let her know that it is urgent!

Thanks a million for the info! Here's hoping I hear something soon.

To the folks who are looking for more info about how internship and residency works: why would you look for info about med ed structure in a school-specific thread populated by premeds? Nova does not own this.

There is an FAQ at the top of this forum. In that FAQ, which Chocolate Bear just updated, is everything you need to know, with links to reputable sources.

Of particular interest should be the article in Academic Medicine in 2003 called "Does the Osteopathic Internship Have a Future?". I will leave it as an exercise for you to access that article. Hint: you don't need PubMed.

So I decided to check that damned web site for the 15th time today and to my astonishment it no longer said, "Please contact admissions".

Provisionally accepted.

I could not be happier. :D

So I decided to check that damned web site for the 15th time today and to my astonishment it no longer said, "Please contact admissions".

Provisionally accepted.

I could not be happier. :D

Congrats.

I interviewed 11/7 and saw the "provisional acceptance" online today. woop

Congrats to everyone who got accepted today! Where will you go?

So, I received the secondary on the 18th and sent it back to them that same day. I received an email invite today!
icon10.gif

I know it not an acceptance, but is my first invite, so I've been happy all evening. Now to pick an interview date before XMAS break.....

Speaking of which...when does the semester end? I don't want to interview when nobody is on campus (Dec 19th).

Ugh it is killing me that those who interviewed on 11/20, two days later are going to have to wait for two more weeks to hear whether or not we got in!! I want an acceptance sooo badly!

Ellen told my group today that they're going to committee tommorow.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted today! Where will you go?

It's hard to say for sure right now. I am on the alternate list at LECOM-B and if I were to be offered a place there, I might take it over NOVA. Maybe. There are also a couple of schools that I have not been invited for interviews to that might be contenders if I were to eventually be accepted.

All that said, I was pretty impressed with NOVA when I visited and am sure that I would be happy to go there. I'd say even odds that I'll end up there.

Ellen told my group today that they're going to committee tommorow.

Oh really? Then when will we hear by? She told our group that they probably wouldnt but I guess that changed...

Does anyone know what the average cost of living is for NOVA? I think OOS tuition was about 35K but what is the school's estimate for your other additional expenses (housing, book, travel etc). I was looking on the website and couldn't find the total estimate but maybe i didn't look hard enough?

35 here...though i interviewed a while ago...just new to sdn

Does anyone know what the average cost of living is for NOVA? I think OOS tuition was about 35K but what is the school's estimate for your other additional expenses (housing, book, travel etc). I was looking on the website and couldn't find the total estimate but maybe i didn't look hard enough?

The estimates aren't too much different than everywhere else. They usually go on the high end with all those places. I don't have sheet on hand or anything but I can give you a rough idea of costs.

Housing: If you live with a roomie or two you can have a pretty nice apartment for around 450 a month. (Give or take a little) If you live alone, expect it to be around 1000.

Food: Pretty standard cost of what you probably spend now. Maybe a couple bucks more for some items.

Transportation: Depends on how far you live....If you live walking distance from the campus then it obviously won't be that much. If you live 25 minutes from campus then it'll be a lot more. Gas prices are usually at or slightly higher than the national averages. South florida requires a car to do lots of stuff in a reasonable amount of time, so if that is your goal then expect around 1000-1200 . One of the things you have to be aware of is that cars tend to get more wear and tear down there because of the seemingly omnipresent sand and the salt in the air, especially if you get closer to the ocean. Issues with cars (like worn brakes) start occurring upwards of a year earlier than up north. Even with the winters.

Books: Well, Singinfif or HemeOncDoc will probably answer better, but I've gotten the impression that books are rarely purchased. There are always the key books, but it seems the vast majority of information comes from class notes. I'd weigh the cost as expensive, but fairly negligible relative to other things.

facebook link NSU c/o 2013............for apartments you can go on rent.com or something and search the area to get ideas....alot of complexes advertise about how close they are relative to the campus. I think i'm looking at sunforest equity apartments.....2/2 is around 1200/mo and single is 1k+/mo..........sand and salt aren't much of a factor for your car unless you park on a1a