NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DSCF0440.jpg

DSCF0443.jpg

DSCF0444.jpg

DSCF0445.jpg

DSCF0447.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

$100/night. The lobby has free internet access/printing and serves starbucks, beer, and other late night eats. It's very loungy.

Pictures of the actual room:
DSCF0448.jpg

DSCF0449.jpg

DSCF0450.jpg

DSCF0454.jpg

DSCF0452.jpg

DSCF0453.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that was amazing... Thank you so much for those great pics.

cool photos. thanks!

I interviewed Tuesday and was accepted Wednesday. IT kind of bothers me how fast they got back to me. I know she said they would take it to committee the next day, but still.

I interviewed Tuesday and was accepted Wednesday. IT kind of bothers me how fast they got back to me. I know she said they would take it to committee the next day, but still.

so you'd rather have them make you wait in suspense for four months until they gave you a decision? :rolleyes:

Very nice pics!

If anyone has questions about the campus, area, or NSUCOM I'll certainly do my best to answer them. If they are really specific just PM me otherwise post them them quickly before finals start :)

Last edited:
I don't know if other schools are like this, or if the people are this welcoming and friendly, but I've really come across a second family here at nova.

My fellow students are really supportive, as well as the teachers and yes, even members of the administration (How I love thee, leslie jones).

DSCF0557.jpg

We do this every monday, no matter how much that day's exam sucked.
Monday nights are my sanity. I've made some amazing friends here.

I hope that wherever you wind up, be it NSU or somewhere across the country from here, that each and every one of you find a group of people as amazing as the one I've found here. It makes a difference like you would not believe! Make sure you find out how the student body interacts. It's SO important.

probably be good to compress those photos a wee bit. They stowed you somewhere completely different for lunch than where my group was.

hey all, i had a question for anyone that has submitted the deposit to NOVA.. ok here it goes, on the acceptance agreement they ask for a NSU ID number, did anyone that submitted the form have one, or just leave it blank? thanks!

I left it blank on the acceptance agreement i sent in but then realized for the online deposit it is the user name you use to sign it to webstar (to complete the secondary).

Can someone pm or tell me the email address and phone number of Ellen Rondino? I need to schedule my interview asap. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone pm or tell me the email address and phone number of Ellen Rondino? I need to schedule my interview asap. Thanks.

Just like I told you in response to the identical PM you sent me.
Call the main admissions office and they'll give you that info. If you don't have that number, google the main info number for Nova and they'll get you there.

Just like I told you in response to the identical PM you sent me.
Call the main admissions office and they'll give you that info. If you don't have that number, google the main info number for Nova and they'll get you there.

Trust me, no one in admissions EVER picks up the phone. It's not even a crap shoot. I had 5 numbers to that office, no one answered. No one even returned my calls. The only way to have any luck is to email either Sarah or Ellen. I completely understand rightfooted's plea. I never even received the interview email they'd sent me so thank God I finally got Ellen's email address.

rightfooted, you have a PM.

Trust me, no one in admissions EVER picks up the phone.

Really? That's bs, sorry to be snippy rightfoot! It never occurred to me that they'd be that tough to reach. Sorry you guys are having that problem. I'll stop in there this week and ask.

Really? That's bs, sorry to be snippy rightfoot! It never occurred to me that they'd be that tough to reach. Sorry you guys are having that problem. I'll stop in there this week and ask.

That's a really good idea. I had trouble reaching people at NSU, but NOTHING like these poor guys are having.

Thanks a lot! :thumbup: It's been a complete nightmare for us. Thank God I finally reached Ellen via email and got my interview invite straightened out. I was almost past the two-week deadline for scheduling it, and I hadn't even received the email!!

The communication thing is really an issue. I've been fortunate enough to not suffer much from it, but it is deterring some good students who, initially, were really interested in the school. I've talked to 3 students firsthand with great grades and work ethics that have straight up told me that they gave up on NSU. I don't know about the third, but two of them tried calling and emailing for 2 weeks straight to see whether they got the signature page. They left multiple voicemails, called at different times, tried different offices and never got an answer.

Everyone I've encountered there has been exceedingly kind, but that doesn't cut it when there are inefficiencies on the scale they seem to be having. It is almost hard for me to believe since I got an email for my interview invite, called, scheduled it, emailed her to confirm, and got a reply within 20 minutes. (Her being Sarah)

It hurts because it is just such a negative perception of the school. Sadly, this is one of those situations where a book is judged by its cover. I really hope they iron this out. Thanks to anyone that goes and sees what is going on. For every person that complains on here, there must be 10 more in real life experiencing the same issue.

yup, ive called over twenty times this week. buying my tickets on kayak since my budget is quite low right now, so i cant take the risk of scheduling my interview over email at the risk of not hearing back on the same day and missing out on flight ticket deals

Hi,

I also interviewed on last Tuesday and got my acceptance on Wednesday. NSU was beautiful, the weather was awesome (especially compared to where i am from) and my interviewers were very nice. But the best thing about NSU was the people. I met up with some students the night before my interview, these guys were awesome, one of the easiest people to get along with. To me, people are the most important part of any institution and these guys were pretty cool.

I especially loved the schedule and the Dean was pretty cool as well, he is down to earth and straightforward. I feel like i can just walk into his office and chat with him...

Thnx Tol and the rest of the crew...

Bil~

I interviewed on Thursday the 20th and I got accepted!! yay! I never thought I would be able to say that! I am sooo excited! I am going to be a doctor!:D

I only photographed a small portion of the campus too.

And all these photos were taken by moi. I really dig the area.

Thanks so much! I've already interviewed (and been accepted) but the photos were a nice reminder. Plus, I didn't get a chance to see much of town since I was on a tight schedule. The photos of town and the beach are nice to see.

I found that I was accepted on the website (status: provisionally accepted) but haven't received my snail mail packet or an e-mail or anything yet. How long after the website status changing did you receive your admissions packets by mail? I keep having nightmares that I'll discover there's been an error and I'm not really accepted.

I found that I was accepted on the website (status: provisionally accepted) but haven't received my snail mail packet or an e-mail or anything yet. How long after the website status changing did you receive your admissions packets by mail? I keep having nightmares that I'll discover there's been an error and I'm not really accepted.

I have not received mine yet either but I am assuming because of Thanksgiving we should get them by Thursday or Friday depending on your location and when you interviewed. If you interviewed anytime before Nov 18th and have not received your letter maybe you should call? I don't know...

Does anybody living there/going to school at Nova now have suggestions on places to check out for housing? I am trying to figure out budgeting. I do not want to live too close or too far away from campus. Also, thinking about probably finding a roommate and getting a two bedroom apartment to save money. What do people think?

Does anybody living there/going to school at Nova now have suggestions on places to check out for housing? I am trying to figure out budgeting. I do not want to live too close or too far away from campus. Also, thinking about probably finding a roommate and getting a two bedroom apartment to save money. What do people think?

If you have a two bedroom, you can probably expect to pay 500-ish per month. What I've noticed through various websites and talking to people is that living alone tends to be around 900-1000 with a single bedroom. Every bedroom you tag on seems to be around another 100-200 dollars. This is just a general trend and I'm sure you could find something below that.

Hi all,

Well, I interviewed last Tuesday and heard the good news on Wednesday that I was accepted. I’m really stoked because my experience at NOVA was great. I wish I was there now. The campus is unbelievable, the faculty was awesome, and the students seemed welcoming making me to believe that the learning environment is more cooperative then competitive which I like. Not to mention there are cute girls in scrubs everywhere. Anyways, I’m sold on NOVA but am just waiting to see how the rest of this admissions cycle turns out.

Take care

If you have a two bedroom, you can probably expect to pay 500-ish per month. What I've noticed through various websites and talking to people is that living alone tends to be around 900-1000 with a single bedroom. Every bedroom you tag on seems to be around another 100-200 dollars. This is just a general trend and I'm sure you could find something below that.

Thanks! Do you know of any web sites where I can check out actual apartments near by. Or do you suggest any particular place I should look at?

Craigslist has given me a great idea on the price and keep in mind that most places want first, last and security when you move in. That is going to be a big check for me.

Hahah yah I feel ya with that... I keep having the same nightmare and hesitating about canceling some other interviews because of it. I'm sure the holidays just slowed them down from getting it out. I interviewed 11/18, and I'm only going to worry if I don't get it sometime this week. You should do the same, unless your wait has been outstanding since your interview. Oh and congrats on your acceptance!

I find myself in the same boat as well... and I can't seem to get in contact with Ellen, which seems to be the only person that can answer the question of what's going on and she's never there. I've tried calling, leaving messages and e-mailing, but to no avail. it's quite frustrating...

Where are you guys finding your status of "provisionally accepted"? I go to "webstar" and then to "admissions" and plug in my info. It doesn't show any status, only my supplemental information. I interviewed on the 18th and still have not heard anything. I've called and emailed admissions, but it seems like everyone has had the same experience of being unable to reach them.

$100/night. The lobby has free internet access/printing and serves starbucks, beer, and other late night eats. It's very loungy.

Pictures of the actual room!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: YA i loved it for a pre-interview relaxation

Many of our brethren in the dental health department found out about getting into Nova the last few days if you want to stop in and say hi. :p

When you see your supp. info, click on "Fall 2009" then it should show your status. Good luck!

Where are you guys finding your status of "provisionally accepted"? I go to "webstar" and then to "admissions" and plug in my info. It doesn't show any status, only my supplemental information. I interviewed on the 18th and still have not heard anything. I've called and emailed admissions, but it seems like everyone has had the same experience of being unable to reach them.

Go to: http://webstar.nova.edu
Click "Admissions", and login with your info
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Fall 2009" under "Admissions Term"
Scroll about halfway down the page to where it says "Decision" and hopefully you will have some good news. Good luck!

Hey guys...I got an email from NSUCOM asking me for a secondary app. They gave me a link with a login ID and password but after I get to the site I have no idea where the application is. I have tried numerous times and looked everywhere. I tried calling them but I can't get a hold of anyone. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it :)

Do we have to send our deposits in by December 14th to NSU or is it a different date if you interview on 11/18? Also, are people paying by credit card by any chance? Is there an easy way to let the other schools who have accepted you know that you are not going? How are people letting the other schools know (email, letter, call, etc?) Thanks so much!

Do we have to send our deposits in by December 14th to NSU or is it a different date if you interview on 11/18?
Different - your acceptance letter will tell you when your deposit is due. Also I think it's from date of acceptance, not date of interview.
Also, are people paying by credit card by any chance?
Yep.
Is there an easy way to let the other schools who have accepted you know that you are not going? How are people letting the other schools know (email, letter, call, etc?) Thanks so much!
I emailed my other schools. Calling is fine too. Be polite, be professional, say thank you. Edit: for turning down acceptances, a postal letter is more appropriate.

Thanks, you give some great advice and I certainly appreciate it.

This may seem like a very dumb question, but here goes. I know that NSU-COM is lecture based and so I am sure classes meet every day (as opposed to most PBL schedules of 3x / week). However, can any current students tell me what the weekly schedule is like (approximate hours)? Thanks a lot!!!

And yes, I am aware that it is tons of work so that is not why I am asking ;)

They have a schedule for current students on the website to get a rough idea.

Would you describe the schedule as having a lot of OMT?

What is "Steele" on the schedule? Also here is a link to the MS-1 schedule for everyone. What is a typical day for yall in school now? I know everyone is different but I haven't gotten great answers at the interviews. Thanks and here is the link:

http://medicine.nova.edu/forms/m1fallsched0809.pdf

http://www.freewebs.com/nsucom

You can scroll back and see the entire semester. I find that easier to read then the one the school puts up.

Steele is the auditorium where we live...er...have classes.

A typical day in school is 3 or 4 hours of lectures (sometimes we start at 9, sometimes we start at 8) and then labs in the afternoon. We're never kept later then 5 (at least, not that I ever recall). OPP lab and CP lab take FOR-FREAKIN-EVER and I often feel like I'm wasting my time there. Not because the labs aren't useful, they are, but I feel like they drag them out a bit.

Histo lab is one of my favorite things (yes, I know, I'm in the minority here, I'm sure).

Anatomy lab...BLAH. I hate how our lab is set up, but I keep hearing similar complaints from students at other schools, so I guess it's a pretty universal issue. We don't dissect, which is fine, but its' REALLY hard to see the bodies. What winds up happening is that several professors will come in and walk around from body to body and point out structures. It's difficult to see things. I find myself going into lab at 12:00 (which is our lunch hour) and working on my own until 1:10 (when the professors come in). I follow a professor around for a bit, see any structures I had questions on, and then head home.

That's about it. Typical day. :)

What is "Steele" on the schedule? Also here is a link to the MS-1 schedule for everyone. What is a typical day for yall in school now? I know everyone is different but I haven't gotten great answers at the interviews.

Last edited:
Also, how do MPH classes fit in here? I really would like to get in touch with someone who is in this program. Thanks.