NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can not open the file nsu sent me in an email. I also can not reopen my app. Do others have the same problem?j/c

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know where I can get a match list for NSU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know where I can get a match list for NSU?

The website has all the lists for the last 4 years or so. Don't look too deep into it since there is always a ton of traditional rotating.

For those of you who chose NSU over LECOM-B, can you tell me why? I may have to decide between these two if I end up moving to FL.

I was accepted to both and will choose NSU over LECOM-B.

First off, I always like to preface this discussion with the fact I think LECOM-B is an outstanding school with great people. I loved my interview time there.

When it came down to it, I was a little worried about how strong my self motivation to study the subjects that would not interest me was. PBL is great and I have a lot of experience with it from undergrad, but I personally feel a little more comfortable with using a book and weeding out the important stuff from notes that are already reduced down a bit. Also, I like the feeling of being affiliated with an undergraduate institution. It may sound like a bit of a lame excuse, but I am into networking and have friends in other areas of NSU. In addition, I liked the gym and the ability to do things outside of medicine if need be. Another very very important factor is my brother. He lives less than 10 minutes from the NSU campus. A support network is very important and someone that'd offer up just about anything at the drop of a hat is a relief for me. I have faith that I will have an extensive network outside of the school and that when times are tough, I can always visit my nephew, go sailing, or just talk and get guidance. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend LECOM-B to anyone. I do have some issues with nova, but I feel it is the best and most responsible choice for my personal needs. In the end, let your gut guide you a bit. When first accepted at both places I was leaning towards LECOM-B, but after letting thing sit for a while I realized that NSU is probably a better fit for me.

all right, so it looks like my very first med school interview will be at NSU this december. would anyone be kind enough to offer some insight as to what I should expect?

Hahaha.....maybe you'll see something like the following:

http://www.forumeter.com/video/30409/Ca-h-Mani-Productions-My-Spine

Awesome video!

In all seriousness...expect to have a pretty laid-back interview, mine definitely was.:) The day is kind of unorganized, we were left in a room while someone was supposed to be coming to talk to us...? Whatever, it gives you a chance to chat with the other applicants (you'll have to memorize their names since NSU doesn't give you name tags..).
And mentioned earlier in this thread, but just to reiterate: bring a pen! They give you a notebook and a pad of paper but can't be bothered to give out pens.

If you're staying in a hotel more than walking distance from the school (I did), leave early b/c traffic can be kind of bad.

Also while you're there, please do us all a favor and yell at their admissions dept, tell them to get it together!...what a scene.

Even though we (on sdn) speak negatively of said admissions people...I really loved the school and had a great time there. Have fun, and good luck!:luck:

Lets face it. Your day was so magnificent because of me and our extra gym expedition at the end.

all right, so it looks like my very first med school interview will be at NSU this december. would anyone be kind enough to offer some insight as to what I should expect?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this was what we did last year and what it looks like people are doing this year.

In the morning you'll be split into two groups. One group interviews while the other tours the school and campus. Then you switch. Then a group lunch with current students and I'm sure some chit chat with faculty. The afternoon is spent getting info like financial aid.

The only nerve wracking part is waiting for your interview. The rest is cush.

Good luck, holler with any questions at all!

The website has all the lists for the last 4 years or so. Don't look too deep into it since there is always a ton of traditional rotating.

What do you mean by ton of traditional rotation? Also, could you attach the link since I have having the hardest time finding it for some reason... Thanks.

What do you mean by ton of traditional rotation? Also, could you attach the link since I have having the hardest time finding it for some reason... Thanks.

See post 807 in this thread for the link to the page on Nova's website that has match lists.

Match lists don't show what residency DO grads go onto after a traditional rotating internship.

I strongly recommend that you get up to speed on the governing body of osteopathic medicine, the AOA, and its national and state requirements for licensing. About 1/4 to 1/3 of DO grads do a traditional rotating internship prior to residency, and there are five states (FL, MI, OK, WV, PA) that require this internship. Some DO residencies integrate the internship; otherwise you effectively have to match twice. If you do an ACGME ("MD") residency, you have to plan ahead to meet AOA and state DO board requirements. See http://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?au=R&PageID=ir_main or pick up the Iserson book on residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you let LECOM know yet that you are declining?? I'd like to get off the waitlist there ASAP. Thanksss :)

I canceled my interview there. Just for you too. ;)

Good luck.

Did you let LECOM know yet that you are declining?? I'd like to get off the waitlist there ASAP. Thanksss :)

I will let them know when everything is set in stone. ;)

Mattng, just spend some time digging around the site. It isn't going to be in the applicant area. It'll be in the current student area. Only good things can happen from learning more about the school and their website. ;) I have spent like 2 hours just reading through everything on their site.

See post 807 in this thread for the link to the page on Nova's website that has match lists.

Match lists don't show what residency DO grads go onto after a traditional rotating internship.

I strongly recommend that you get up to speed on the governing body of osteopathic medicine, the AOA, and its national and state requirements for licensing. About 1/4 to 1/3 of DO grads do a traditional rotating internship prior to residency, and there are five states (FL, MI, OK, WV, PA) that require this internship. Some DO residencies integrate the internship; otherwise you effectively have to match twice. If you do an ACGME ("MD") residency, you have to plan ahead to meet AOA and state DO board requirements. See http://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?au=R&PageID=ir_main or pick up the Iserson book on residency.

I was wondering if you could maybe explain this better - I was a little but confused about the internship requirement that some states have for DO's before they enter residency. At my interview, it was implied that a lot of places do not require the internship anymore? I thought that the match list on NOVA's website was for residency placements - is that not the case?

I was accepted to both, and decided on NSU. Shoot me an e-mail if you want singinfifi at gmail.com or PM on here. :) It was a pretty easy choice for me (eventhough LECOM-B is closer to home), but I realize it's probably not like that for everyone!

For those of you who chose NSU over LECOM-B, can you tell me why? I may have to decide between these two if I end up moving to FL.

I was accepted to LECOM-Bradenton and I am hoping to be accepted to Nova. I think I will be accepted as the interview guy told me my personal statement was "remarkable" and told me I did a great job interviewing. I am going to go to Nova if I am accepted. If you want more information, please email me at [email protected]

I have also been accepted to LECOM-Erie, LMU and am waiting on RVU. I applied to 11 schools, got interview invites at 9 and went to 5 interviews, just to let you know the stats. All the schools have great things to offer.

Deepa,

I'm an M1 at NSU and was accepted to both LECOM-B and Nova. Both schools have great reputations and very unique qualities, I think when it comes down to it there were two main differences for me. 1. Curriculum 2. Size and Support of Program.

LECOM-B is a PBL based school while Nova is more the traditional Lecture/discussion model. That being said Nova is going to a systems based curriculum for the next years M1's. I personally felt more comfortable with spending more time in class and having the support/direction of professors than primarily self directed study, it just goes to your individual learning style.

As far as size goes, LECOM was a stand alone building in the middle of a field with only the 1st and 2nd years on the premises. Whereas NSUCOM is just one of many programs on a huge campus with 26,000+ students. You have the ability to mix with students from all walks of life and graduate programs as well as an impressive RecPlex. Your med school class can seem very small sometimes when you see the same people day in and day out, its a nice change of pace to see people from other programs.

In the end I felt like Nova was a better fit for me, both curriculum and setting wise. If you have any more questions or would like more specifics don't hesitate to PM me. Best of luck with your decisions.....

deepa,

I would definitely post this on the LECOM-B discussion board as well. If only posted here, you may see a more (albeit subconscious) bias toward NSU, and on the LECOM-B thread, you will see a bias toward LECOM-B. It is only natural. It is good to see both sides if you want the entire picture though.

I was wondering if you could maybe explain this better - I was a little but confused about the internship requirement that some states have for DO's before they enter residency. At my interview, it was implied that a lot of places do not require the internship anymore? I thought that the match list on NOVA's website was for residency placements - is that not the case?

Sure, it's complicated, but I'm quite comfortable with the level of info I provided. I think you should consider following the link I posted, or getting the book I recommended. A premed SDN forum and an anonymous poster (me) are very weak resources for something this important.

I think it is good to read both threads but when you go over it, you'll notice that NOBODY has said anything bad about LECOM-B. The major thing it came down to was which curriculum/environment they felt comfortable with. I think everyone that has interviewed/been accepted at both places really does have a tremendous amount of respect for each. If LECOM-B were my only option, I'd but very very excited to go there and I would know that they'd do everything in their power to help me achieve my goals.

It is a tough decision but when you sit down and start to remove yourself from the process a bit, one school will begin to jump out more for whatever reasons. Sometimes it is a bunch of things and sometimes it is the intangible. Unlike most of the people, I was NOT in love or impressed with NSU at first. It was pretty much everything I expected, but I'm a very tough person to impress. I was much more excited about Bradenton. I felt the interview day was better organized and I felt they valued my time more than NSU. As I waited a month or so, things began to equal out and I could map out much more clearly which school was a better fit for me.

My interview at NSU is this coming Tuesday, Nov 25th. Any advice? any one have the same interview date? what kind of interview questions do they ask?

To others that have already been there: what is the one thing you didn't like there? and what are the things you liked?

Thank u,

Bil~

My interview at NSU is this coming Tuesday, Nov 25th. Any advice? any one have the same interview date? what kind of interview questions do they ask?

To others that have already been there: what is the one thing you didn't like there? and what are the things you liked?

Thank u,

Bil~

You should definitely check out the interview review section on here for great ideas about the interviews in general.

I just interviewed on the 18th and it was very laid back. Two people interviewed me, one professor at the school and one person who is a doctor in the community. They both had read my file so that was helpful. They asked pretty standard questions: Strengths, weaknesses, how do you handle stress, plans if you don't get into medical school, etc... I liked the interview a lot.

Things I liked about NSU include: being part of a bigger undergraduate campus and the perks that come with it, being part of an established program, very excited about the MPH opportunity along with the DO program as well as just the general feel of the school and the curriculum.

I did not like the difficulty and confusion I have had with the admissions staff. I was never notified of my interview invitation and only learned about it when I called to inquire. It was a tad disorganized the day of the interview also. The other top school choice for me is LECOM Erie and so I dislike that NSU does not have multiple learning pathways or its own hospital but I am comfortable with the rotation experience I will (hopefully) get at Nova.

Please feel free to email me - [email protected] - if you have other questions as I have been lucky enough to go on 6 interviews so I can offer a lot of comparison. Good luck on Tuesday and I think the best thing you can do for yourself is be as relaxed as possible!

I think it is good to read both threads but when you go over it, you'll notice that NOBODY has said anything bad about LECOM-B. The major thing it came down to was which curriculum/environment they felt comfortable with.

This might also have to do with the fact that this is a public forum and nobody wants to burn bridges. ;-)

is NSU's interview with one or multiple people, and is it open or closed file?

This might also have to do with the fact that this is a public forum and nobody wants to burn bridges. ;-)

People burn bridges all the time. :p I think it helps that the people giving their viewpoint hold themselves accountable and really aren't putting up smokescreens though. It is just as easy to sign up with some random name and dump on a school. I'm able to piss people off a LITTLE less on here than in real life....I think.

I have been accepted at both and chose NSU over LECOM-B. Like someone else said, there is nothing bad about LECOM-B, the admissions staff was definitely more welcoming and helpful than NSU, the interview was great, and the building was amazing.

That being said, I chose NSU because I love the big campus feel, and the fact that tons of other health profession programs are located there as well. I think as physicians since we will be working with other health professionals, it is nice to learn in that environment. I went to undergrad with ~30,000 people and I am just more comfortable with it. Plus, I liked the Ft. Lauderdale/Davie area and it seems to have more than Bradenton/Lakewood Ranch.

The second factor was PBL vs. lecture/systems learning. I think for most people, one of the two ends up being a better fit for their learning style (which I did not know until I sat in on PBL).. for me it was the lecture-type style of learning.

Good luck with your decision, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!

2-3 interviewers and it is optional open-file. Most of the interviewers read it beforehand, some see it for the first time during the interview, and some want to get a sense of your personality, application aside.

I had NOTHING from my file mentioned during my interview. It was about as conversational as conversation can get. It started with the "tell us about yourself" question and just turned into a nice little discussion. My interviewers and I ended up having a ton in common with academic interests, so we wound up going about 10 minutes over.

I do know people that were grilled. It just depends on the interviewers, their mood and the alignment of the stars.

Hello Everyone-

I wanted to know what anyone thought about studying before starting my first year. I have been out of school since May 2007. I would love to have a head start so that it is not so overwhelming, if I can. I would especially like to know what the people thought who were in school already. Also, which books are used? Does anyone know any good prep-like programs? Thanks for all of your help and good luck to everyone!

I had 3 interviewers...they definitely read some, if not all, of my file because one of them asked why I chose to take the MCAT when I did. You just have to be prepared for an open- or closed-file interview because it really depends on the interviewers.

Hello Everyone-

I wanted to know what anyone thought about studying before starting my first year. I have been out of school since May 2007. I would love to have a head start so that it is not so overwhelming, if I can. I would especially like to know what the people thought who were in school already. Also, which books are used? Does anyone know any good prep-like programs? Thanks for all of your help and good luck to everyone!

This has been discussed many times, try doing a search to find threads about it. I will summarize them for you, the general consensus is to not study before med school, it is useless and a waste of your time. Spend your last bits of free time doing things you enjoy or things you always wanted to do but never had a chance to. That is recommendation of almost every med. student.

Hi,
My interview is on tuesday as well. Any thing I need to take w/ me? Their email did not say to bring any thing but just wondering.

This has been discussed many times, try doing a search to find threads about it. I will summarize them for you, the general consensus is to not study before med school, it is useless and a waste of your time. Spend your last bits of free time doing things you enjoy or things you always wanted to do but never had a chance to. That is recommendation of almost every med. student.

This is very true, but..
I know I would have kicked butt in the MCAT if I had a bit more biology background. I just had bio I at the time. I am doing physiology for II now and I love it. So, for people like me w/ engg background which is the polar opposite of biology-like courses which require memorization, I think it will help to read ahead just a bit. I plan to get some idiots' books, nothing advanced on anatomy.

This is very true, but..
I know I would have kicked butt in the MCAT if I had a bit more biology background. I just had bio I at the time. I am doing physiology for II now and I love it. So, for people like me w/ engg background which is the polar opposite of biology-like courses which require memorization, I think it will help to read ahead just a bit. I plan to get some idiots' books, nothing advanced on anatomy.

There is an aspect of medical school that caters to every personality. Don't prestudy beyond getting comfortable with some basic lingo, which should take all of 30 minutes. I was Information Science and German. I rarely had tests. It was group project, group project, group project, paper, paper, paper, group project, "test" aka paper during class time, and group project. It isn't that hard to memorize. I guarantee that nearly every person will have to readjust their study techniques regardless of their background.

Thank you for directing my attention to the other threads...it was very helpful information. I think I am more concerned about creating solid study habits than actually retaining lots of knowledge prior to starting.

Is anyone here in the MPH program also? How does that work while doing the DO program? When do you have to sign up for it? It is doable (sp?)?

One more question, sorry I have so many, does Nova require a Blackberry or some sort of smart phone? I saw that questions before and did not see an answer to it. Thanks for everything!

Hi,
My interview is on tuesday as well. Any thing I need to take w/ me? Their email did not say to bring any thing but just wondering.

I am also interviewing on tuesday and I am already here in Ft. Lauderdale. I interviewed last year late in the year and was placed on the waiting list. The interview is relaxed as you probably have heard in the thread. PM me if you want to discuss my experience last year when I interviewed.

Thank you for directing my attention to the other threads...it was very helpful information. I think I am more concerned about creating solid study habits than actually retaining lots of knowledge prior to starting.

Is anyone here in the MPH program also? How does that work while doing the DO program? When do you have to sign up for it? It is doable (sp?)?

One more question, sorry I have so many, does Nova require a Blackberry or some sort of smart phone? I saw that questions before and did not see an answer to it. Thanks for everything!

One of the students PMed me with the answer to the blackberry question and the answer was no, they don't require it. I'm not sure if you have had an interview yet, but if not good luck!

If anyone is in town to interview....

Feel free to send me a PM (the earlier the better as I'm not online a lot) and if we aren't completely swamped with finals, we'll give you the "behind the scenes" tour. Ok, that sounds far more interesting than it really is. It's just nice to actually talk to people in person and not on interview day. Hell, if I like you I might even put some scrubs on you and bring you to class for the day ;)

Don't forget:
Most (good) schools have a program set up with upperclassmen so that you can stay with them instead of getting a hotel room. I did that a little during interviews and it has advantages that are far greater than saving some money. Just contact each admissions department as early as possible after you are offered an interview. Frankly, I think it says something when a school doesn't have a program like that. JMHO

T

KCOM has been the only school that really offered the student housing thing, but I agree it left a far better impression of the school than if I stayed at some crappy hotel. It is always good to talk to current students, especially outside of the school. I've kind of noticed that things are much nicer within the school walls for some places. As soon as they set foot outside, they actually have both pros AND cons.

KCOM has been the only school that really offered the student housing thing, but I agree it left a far better impression of the school than if I stayed at some crappy hotel. It is always good to talk to current students, especially outside of the school. I've kind of noticed that things are much nicer within the school walls for some places. As soon as they set foot outside, they actually have both pros AND cons.

There are other schools besides KCOM offering student housing.

The rest of what you said is SO true!

So has anyone else who has been accepted and paid their initial deposit had their status change from "provisionally accepted" to "please contact admissions office"?

Hey all...how did you schedule your interview (post-invite)??

I've called the number (and ext) listed in my interview invite email at least 15 times, left messages ~ 3-4 times, and emailed 2x. I tried since the first day I recv'd the invite. She apparently cleared her vmail one day b/c it used to be full, but now its accepting messages again...

9 days have gone by but I still haven't gotten an reply to setup this interview....what did you do???

Thanks!

I called Ellen this morning and she said that they will have a decision for us by Friday or may be even the first week of December.

So for those of you who got accepted, where did you go online to check your status to find out if you got accepted or not?

I called Ellen this morning and she said that they will have a decision for us by Friday or may be even the first week of December.

thank you for posting that since you were actually able to get in touch with her. ive been calling all morning. guess its just more of the waiting game

I checked the status today and was provisionally accepted!!! Yay!! She did email me this morning and told me that it would be done before Thanksgiving hopefully and then I went on a checked and it said provisionally accepted! Has anyone been flat out accepted? I have completed my BS so I am confused about the provisional part unless its because I have not paid my deposit yet.

To check your status online...go to the webstar section of Nova's website where you did the secondary. If you have anymore questions please feel free to PM me! YAY!!

I checked the status today and was provisionally accepted!!! Yay!! She did email me this morning and told me that it would be done before Thanksgiving hopefully and then I went on a checked and it said provisionally accepted! Has anyone been flat out accepted? I have completed my BS so I am confused about the provisional part unless its because I have not paid my deposit yet.

To check your status online...go to the webstar section of Nova's website where you did the secondary. If you have anymore questions please feel free to PM me! YAY!!
Congrats! :)