2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love all this application madness even though it's just the first day of apps and we're in the beginning of finals hell.

last question: when we request Transcripts from schools, do you think it'll be best to use SSN or school ID or will it not matter?

maybe it's a stupid question but whatever.

Happy Cinco de Drinko guys!

Members don't see this ad.

On my PC Firefox would not open the AMCAS page once it actually got to where I would put in my password and whatnot.

Internet Explorer, however, did work. I haven't tried on my Macbook yet, however.

For one of my activities , I'm putting that I'm an officer of a cultural club on campus. The club has a long name though, so should I just put "officer of **abbreviation of club*" for the title of the entry or just put Officer of On-Campus Club?? the second way seems a little tacky, but i don't think my club's abbreviation will be recognized by anyone

Put in the abbreviation, and use the 1500 characters you are given to give the full title of the club and what it's about.

I love all this application madness even though it's just the first day of apps and we're in the beginning of finals hell.

last question: when we request Transcripts from schools, do you think it'll be best to use SSN or school ID or will it not matter?

Not all of us are in finals hell :)

I'd use your school ID number. I know my school was very specific about using SSN's as identification; they really really wanted people to use the Student ID numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
GoBeers, you and I still have a good week before finals even start.;)

How should I classify my human sexual behavior class?

It was a large part about development of sexual organs, pregnancy, sex physiology, STDs, etc., which was definitely biology. It also had a decent amount of psychology related information though too. I feel like the biology part out weighs the psych part, but I don't know what to do.

when writing your essay for medicine, what kind of stuff should we focus on??

How should I classify my human sexual behavior class?

It was a large part about development of sexual organs, pregnancy, sex physiology, STDs, etc., which was definitely biology. It also had a decent amount of psychology related information though too. I feel like the biology part out weighs the psych part, but I don't know what to do.

Probably Behavioral & Social Sciences (BESS). Thats where ive always seen that class listed. If you look at what AMCAS considers bio theres nothing even close to a class like that.

I wouldnt mind though, im just an applicant myself so its not like im on a committee or have some great insight into what they are looking for. I agree with blu though only you know which 15 are really important/meaningful.

:laugh: LMFAO:laugh:

for few seconds i thought u said i would mind lol

Does anyone know how my application is handled by AAMC after I submit the application but my MCAT scores aren't back yet? I am taking the MCAT in 3 weeks and I'm wondering if AAMC will go ahead and start the process of verifying my transcripts and everything else without the MCAT score, then just forward it all to the schools once the score is in? Or do MCAT scores and the AAMC application go to the schools separately?

I'm not sure how it all works.
:(

Does anyone know how my application is handled by AAMC after I submit the application but my MCAT scores aren't back yet? I am taking the MCAT in 3 weeks and I'm wondering if AAMC will go ahead and start the process of verifying my transcripts and everything else without the MCAT score, then just forward it all to the schools once the score is in? Or do MCAT scores and the AAMC application go to the schools separately?

yup, they verify the app without the MCAT score, which is a great thing. When the score comes in, it's automatically added to your file, and the schools automatically recieve it.

Members don't see this ad :)
question regarding AP credits:

I saw one guy putting a "P" under grade

when searching I saw some people putting "G"

...and yet some say leave it blank?

suggestions?

Keep in mind I am also a first-time applicant this cycle, but from what I understand you can have your AMCAS verified before your MCAT scores are released - as you mention, it is your transcript they verify, not your MCAT.

But, as mentioned, I am not an AMCAS veteran so take this with a grain of salt. [edit: this post has, ironically, been verified!]

Keep in mind I am also a first-time applicant this cycle, but from what I understand you can have your AMCAS verified before your MCAT scores are released - as you mention, it is your transcript they verify, not your MCAT.

But, as mentioned, I am not an AMCAS veteran so take this with a grain of salt. [edit: this post has, ironically, been verified!]

If you go ahead and have your AMCAS application verified before your MCAT scores are released, can you "rescind" it if it ends up that you did not do as good as you thought on your MCATS? If this is the case, should you just wait the entire month after your MCAT scores are released to send your app or is there some way around this cause I want to send in my application ASAP to have a better chance...

I'm not sure but I think the only way to truly rescind it is to withdraw it, which you can only do before verification begins. I'm not sure if you are required to prompt the service to submit it to schools after verification or if it happens immediately once verification completes. I wish I knew, and would actually like to myself. hurray for this thread.

heres the guidelines amcas recomends

High School (HS) College-level course work taken while in high school
Freshman (FR) 0-32 semester hours
Sophomore (SO) 31-64 semester hours
Junior (JR) 61-96 semester hours
Senior (SR) 91 or more semester hours

I just used that. Also thats not a typo on my part where SO is 31-64 but JR is 61-96...thats copy and pasted from the 2010 amcas application instructions....

FWIW, the AMCAS instruction booklet says to use these unit guidelines only if you transferred into university. Although it doesn't explicitly say so, I assume that you're supposed to go by year in school otherwise.

I am finished with all the courses I will have taken by the time I apply, but should I include future courses that I will be taking next year?

I am finished with all the courses I will have taken by the time I apply, but should I include future courses that I will be taking next year?

this seems to be a common question, but I can see why. I think the general consensus is that it is not required, but can't hurt. I also think the common idea is to list classes that you are already registered for only.

I, myself, have listed the classes I'll take in the summer and next fall. there was some huge box that popped up when I had to leave the transcript grade blank, though, which was pretty intimidating.

this seems to be a common question, but I can see why. I think the general consensus is that it is not required, but can't hurt. I also think the common idea is to list classes that you are already registered for only.

I, myself, have listed the classes I'll take in the summer and next fall. there was some huge box that popped up when I had to leave the transcript grade blank, though, which was pretty intimidating.

Yeah, that message intimidated me too. It made me feel like I was doing something wrong, but I checked the "current/future" box so they should be able to figure it out. I am going to go ahead and include the courses I know I will be taking next year. Thanks for the help.

FWIW, the AMCAS instruction booklet says to use these unit guidelines only if you transferred into university. Although it doesn't explicitly say so, I assume that you're supposed to go by year in school otherwise.

either way this works against me. by both AMCAS and my school's classifications, I only spent one semester as a junior, and that semester I only had one natural science course, which I didn't perform the best in. oy!

either way this works against me. by both AMCAS and my school's classifications, I only spent one semester as a junior, and that semester I only had one natural science course, which I didn't perform the best in. oy!
Wow. Sorry! I'm sitting here wondering how to rig these class breakdowns to my advantage, but I'm too lazy to do any number crunching :)

Wow. Sorry! I'm sitting here wondering how to rig these class breakdowns to my advantage, but I'm too lazy to do any number crunching :)

Believe me, if I didn't have a final ominously waiting me in the morning, I probably wouldn't be doing any number crunches either. Productive studying is such a bore!

If only it wasn't the last one of the semester..

I called amcas today and they basically said it doesnt really matter, but if you want them to see what you are taking just go ahead and do so. Meaning maybe if you have pre reqs you are taking in the future you might wanna list them.

I almost freaked out. On the courses summary it listed the wrong years for like half of my courses, then I realized it was saying 2004 for the 2004-2005 school year.

If you go ahead and have your AMCAS application verified before your MCAT scores are released, can you "rescind" it if it ends up that you did not do as good as you thought on your MCATS? If this is the case, should you just wait the entire month after your MCAT scores are released to send your app or is there some way around this cause I want to send in my application ASAP to have a better chance...

you submit your AMCAS without your MCAT score obviously... the second you submit your amcas, it's going to the school(s) you selected, and you can't change that.

BUT, before you submit your app, just select one school on there - only one. That way you can submit, they can take their sweet ass time verifying it, and by the time the send your app to that one school, your hypothetical bad MCAT score comes out. You can choose to just withdraw at that point, with no damage on. However, if your score was good, all you do is go back to the app, check all the schools you want to apply to, and resubmit the app, and voila, those schools will have your whole file with your good MCAT scores within about 2 days (since everything has already been verified).

i hope that helps:)

you submit your AMCAS without your MCAT score obviously... the second you submit your amcas, it's going to the school(s) you selected, and you can't change that.

BUT, before you submit your app, just select one school on there - only one. That way you can submit, they can take their sweet ass time verifying it, and by the time the send your app to that one school, your hypothetical bad MCAT score comes out. You can choose to just withdraw at that point, with no damage on. However, if your score was good, all you do is go back to the app, check all the schools you want to apply to, and resubmit the app, and voila, those schools will have your whole file with your good MCAT scores within about 2 days (since everything has already been verified).

i hope that helps:)

this actually sounds like a good plan.

im sorry, but could you please elaborate on this?

this actually sounds like a good plan.

im sorry, but could you please elaborate on this?

sorry, i'm half asleep, so excuse the rambling

you finish up your app, but select one school to apply to, and you submit the application. after the 4-5 weeks it'll take to verify, they'll automatically send it to that one school you selected.

now you get your MCAT score back, and it's bad. So, what do you wanna do? reapply for the next cycle? simply withdraw that one app then. Do you want to retake the MCAT and still use it for this cycle? then go take it, and when the score comes out and you know it's a good score, you login to your AMCAS, designate all the schools you want to apply to, and resubmit ap.

Now, since the app has already been verified, and since the mcat score takes 30 seconds to upload into AMCAS, the schools will recieve your complete file within 2-3 days if not less.

Now, they will have the bad MCAT score and the good MCAT score. What did this method do for you? at least you won't be getting rejected based on your bad MCAT score. Yes, other people will say that the schools will wait for the 2nd score if you tell them to wait, but we all know that's BS for the most part. Even if it's not BS, you've got the two scores there, and they can't just throw away your app because of a low score.

sorry, i'm half asleep, so excuse the rambling

you finish up your app, but select one school to apply to, and you submit the application. after the 4-5 weeks it'll take to verify, they'll automatically send it to that one school you selected.

now you get your MCAT score back, and it's bad. So, what do you wanna do? reapply for the next cycle? simply withdraw that one app then. Do you want to retake the MCAT and still use it for this cycle? then go take it, and when the score comes out and you know it's a good score, you login to your AMCAS, designate all the schools you want to apply to, and resubmit ap.

Now, since the app has already been verified, and since the mcat score takes 30 seconds to upload into AMCAS, the schools will recieve your complete file within 2-3 days if not less.

Now, they will have the bad MCAT score and the good MCAT score. What did this method do for you? at least you won't be getting rejected based on your bad MCAT score. Yes, other people will say that the schools will wait for the 2nd score if you tell them to wait, but we all know that's BS for the most part. Even if it's not BS, you've got the two scores there, and they can't just throw away your app because of a low score.

awesome, thank you.

one insight/advice question and another potentially dumb question.

1. i have 2 spots left in my work/activities section. which of these do you think i should put?

-Relay for Life participant, sophomore year

***this is important to me because my father passed away from cancer...but i do not think it the event, itself, is significant enough to add? my advisor had told me med schools won't care that i did this. i actually wasn't pre-med when i participated, i just did so for the cause.

-Member of the Honors Program, Mortar Board (national honors society for Endicott), & Phi Sigma (biological sciences honors society)

**i posted about that earlier, im not sure if i should just choose one, combine them, or none at all.

-Completed two 120-hour internships in my minor, Communications

***since it's not related to med school, will they really care?

-Nanny for summer of 08

***work experience and i LOVED doing this. i know it has nothing to do with anything but...it was a very meaningful experience and i had a blast with the girls i cared for. not sure if i should put it...

2. also, about the payment to AMCAS...send a check...when? before or after verification?

1. i have 2 spots left in my work/activities section. which of these do you think i should put?

***this is important to me because my father passed away from cancer...but i do not think it the event, itself, is significant enough to add? my advisor had told me med schools won't care that i did this. i actually wasn't pre-med when i participated, i just did so for the cause.

-Member of the Honors Program, Mortar Board (national honors society for Endicott), & Phi Sigma (biological sciences honors society)

**i posted about that earlier, im not sure if i should just choose one, combine them, or none at all.

-Nanny for summer of 08

***work experience and i LOVED doing this. i know it has nothing to do with anything but...it was a very meaningful experience and i had a blast with the girls i cared for. not sure if i should put it...

2. also, about the payment to AMCAS...send a check...when? before or after verification?

Personally Id add the relay for life since it has some personal meaning and could be an interesting topic at an interview since you have a good backstory, and id choose the internships for your minor. The nanny thing is kinda meh to me, after all you have a kid anyways and im sure thats going to be a part of your PS if not a major part, i know it was for mine. And honors programs are always kinda meh, one adcom at my school says she just skips over those honor socities and deans list w/o even reading the description cause they are so useless. Only one persons opinion but honestly, what succesful pre med isnt in an honor society or deans list? I dont see either an honor society or dean list making you stand out.

that is great advice elijah, thank you!!!!!!

Anybody know what to do about listing multiple presentations in one work/activity box? It's bugging me that you can only select one date in the drop-down box.

What is this business about the AMCAS LOR thing? Do I send my letters from Interfolio to AMCAS? Or is just an opportunity for the adcom. to know who is writing my letter?

What is this business about the AMCAS LOR thing? Do I send my letters from Interfolio to AMCAS? Or is just an opportunity for the adcom. to know who is writing my letter?

Yes, and AMCAS will release the letters at your discretion to most schools. A few are not participating (off the top of my head, OHSU and Stanford, but there are others).

i don't know even someone asked this already...for the course title what should we put down? For example, one of my courses is called ENZMS&MTBLSM which is ENZYMES & METABOLISM.

The first one is what appears on my transcript. Should I keep it in the abbrev. form or write out the full form? It seems like they want it as appears on transcript but i asked around and seems like some people in the past wrote out the full name and were fine.

amcas states you should enter it exactly as it appears on the transcripts. id just follow their lead.

I agree with this - put it exactly as it appears on your transcript.

The single biggest "human error" element in this process is the transcript verification done by AMCAS. Just put exactly what is on the transcript and you will eliminate some of that potential error, otherwise you are counting on the "human" verifier to match up what you put down with what is on the transcript...

So in Work/Activities...

I'm presenting a poster at a national math conference in July, but I can't put future dates. I also did a presentation on it today for my school. What do I put for the date?

Also, do I have to put it separately from my research? I'd like to put them together...

You don't have to, but it depends on how much emphasis you want to put on your publications. If you think you have a lot to say about your publications themselves that is not already being said in your research section, then list them separately. Despite what it looks like, filling out AMCAS can be a really, really creative process.

If I complete the application, send it in at the earliest date, then retake the mcat in early august, will this still put me at good odds of getting an interview? or do schools just look at the initial mcat and then reject immediately

See below.

Will you theoretically have a chance? Sure there are applicants every year who arent 100% complete until late in the cycle and get in, are the odds against you? yes they are. Applicants who are complete late but still get in typically are very strong, meaning 3.7+ GPA 34+ mcat, good ecs, etc etc...but if you really wanna apply dont let anyone tell you not too. Just realize things arent in your favor.

Also, consider that your MCAT scores won't be available to schools until September, making you late. You will most likely have received the secondaries already for schools that don't screen, but for those that do, you'll just have to wait. Interview invites start going out in July. By September, the number of interview slots available to you will be lower.

AMCAS asks "Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution, including college courses taken while in high school?"

What does that mean, i dont know if i should say yes or no. I did take CC courses in HS but they didnt count on my HS transcripts....man im so illiterate its sad, no wonder i got a 9 in verbal lol.

That generally means CC courses. Those would be on CC transcripts. I don't get all this stuff about listing AP/IB courses as taken in college though, when obviously they are high school courses taken in high school that _some_ colleges/universities choose to award credit for at their whim... if, however, the school gave you credit for InsertCourseHere 100, you should list that... in any case, AMCAS will fix it, if you get it wrong...

Do you guys think Plant Biology 10- "Plants, Agriculture, and Society" is a BCPM?

Yes, but AMCAS gets to make the final determination on that when they go through your courses.

That's what I was thinking. But in the AMCAS handbook, it says list Agriculture courses under "Natural/Physical Sciences" section, not BCPM.

Those are generally agronomy courses and the like. Botany isn't really a farming course... A general guideline is if the school you're at classifies it as bio, it's bio.

Hey so random question. How long and formal should the activities descriptions be? Should it read like it reads on my resume...or is it alright to inject a little humor in there. I really just want to make someone reading my app smile.

For instance....I was a tour guide so here's my draft description.

Led over 100 self-designed tours of "X-college" to prospective students over four years, hosted campus visitors and their family members in the waiting room before interviews, and collaborated with admissions officers on directly molding future classes and the admissions process itself. My admissions career started as a full-time summer intern following my freshman year and continues today as an alumni interviewer and volunteer. In addition to the many rewarding moments that come along with playing a part in someone's college decision process, my favorite admissions experience was once having a tour momentarily hijacked by student comedians dressed as pirates.

ON another note. If I studied abroad (foreign university, not run by a U.S. college/accepted) and my grades appear as P/F on my home university transcript (under the heading "Study Away") how should I add them to my courses section?

For those of you choosing to do more narrative-style descriptions (as opposed to bullet points), think of this as an exercise in composition. You want to describe both what you did and how amazing it was (and subsequently communicate what skills/feelings/satisfactions you got out of it) in a level of detail that is neither too little nor too much. Remember that you'll need to expand upon these in secondaries, so try not to put down absolutely everything--just enough to make them start drooling.:)

When I'm listing my courses, does the course name have to be EXACTLY the same as listed in transcript?

For my calculus class, the title on the transcript says "Anal Geo & Calculus"
Now that looks weird.

Can't I not write out "Analytic Geometry & Calculus"?

I thin I'm being neurotic here.

Your schools won't care. Just think about how your faculty feel about publishing in Anal Biochem. If they can live with that shame, so can you.:laugh::thumbup:

how do i add cleveland clinic. do i put case a second time, and put in medical/graduate rather than just medical

If it doesn't list Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine or some variant thereof, there's an option to specify that on Case's iApply application/secondary.:thumbup:

For one of my activities , I'm putting that I'm an officer of a cultural club on campus. The club has a long name though, so should I just put "officer of **abbreviation of club*" for the title of the entry or just put Officer of On-Campus Club?? the second way seems a little tacky, but i don't think my club's abbreviation will be recognized by anyone

You might want to stray away from "on-campus club" and more towards phrasing that specifies what your club actually does, like "officer in cupstacking club" or "officer in national beerpong association." (Only one of those is AMCAS-worthy, and I bet you can guess which--yes, cupstacking is a perfectly valid EC, as are juggling, comic book writing, and fire-eating, though you should be careful about describing your motivations and learning experiences for that last one...)

Hello guys and gals! I would be grateful if you would help me with a question regarding transcripts:

I am planning of taking post-baccalaureate courses from late-May through mid-October at North Carolina schools to fulfill prerequisite for some California schools. Since the courses have not even started yet, should I even bother inputting the NC schools data into AMCAS system?

I fear that AMCAS might reject my reason for not requesting transcript (i.e. future classes) and might decide to sit on my application until I complete post-bac courses and send the transcripts.

Of course, I intend to send the NC transcript to the CA schools that point out the prerequisite deficiency, but I will send them myself directly to those schools, and not through AMCAS. I would miss the chance of raising my GPA in the application, but the alternative of waiting until October to turn in the primary application seems foolish.

So, should I leave out the NC school data in AMCAS? Wouldn't that cause delay in the application process? And would such action result in the California schools chucking my application without even pointing out the deficiencies to me? Thank you for your help.

I would call and ask, but I don't think you need transcripts for classes you haven't taken... definitely call and ask. They're perfectly helpful and they don't bite.:thumbup:

good evening everyone,
first and foremost, i hope all of you are doing swell with the first day of applications, i like most of you are a little bit intimidated by it. i had a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them:

i go to uc irvine and our bio affairs office has their own LOR program. i know that AMCAS has a list of schools that will only accept LORs from the AMCAS service. unfortunately, i have all my LORs in my file and I can't touch them - i also do not feel like harrassinng all my letter writers to tell them to send them. is it posssible to have our LOR service send my LOR packet to AMCAS (just like sending LORs from interfolio)? i personally think this switch to the AMCAS LOR service is unfortunate, do we HAVE to use it?

Schools' letters services are generally capable of sending them off to different agencies/institutions per request. I would ask the service about getting them all sent, rather than harangue your letter writers. I had no issues getting my committee to move letters from VirtualEvals to AMCAS last year (aside from VE being a little slow on the uptake... hopefully that doesn't happen this year...).:thumbup:

additionally, i took a college political science class in high school in place of my senior year government class; do I still have to send in that transcript to AMCAS to be verified? should i also assume that i have to send that transcript in addition to my uc irvine transcript (i dont understand what they mean when they say, "does AMCAS require a transcript from X school")

You still have to send in that transcript.

finally, do you have to fill all 3 criterias (when clicking "how do i know that i am disadvantaged") to be considered disadvantaged? [i certainly fit the first critera (the socially disadvantaged aspect)]

I have noooooooooooo idea! If no one else manages to answer this question for you, please call AMCAS and tell us what's up.:)

anyways, thank you very much for you consideration in reading my questions. i wish you all the best in applications. i'll be sure to add my 2 cents as well!
Best of luck to you!:luck:

maybe it's a stupid question but whatever.

Happy Cinco de Drinko guys!

If your school uses a student ID number that is not your social security number, give them the ID number. AMCAS will also have your SSN if they end up needing it.

On my PC Firefox would not open the AMCAS page once it actually got to where I would put in my password and whatnot.

Internet Explorer, however, did work. I haven't tried on my Macbook yet, however.

What version of Firefox are you using? It may not be officially endorsed (or whatever they prefer to call it by AMCAS) If you really, really want to keep using that version of Firefox, try this to pretend to be a browser that AMCAS _does_ like. No guarantees on functionality, btw. You're on your own after that.

when writing your essay for medicine, what kind of stuff should we focus on??

Your motivations for going to medical school including but not limited to any experiences you might have had that led you to come to that conclusion.

Yes. When doomsday the younger (i.e. primary submission day) arrives in June, once you submit your application, you get entered into the verification queue regardless of your MCAT score status.

I tried reorganizing the first time and they just gave me a three-year senior year.:cry:

-Nanny for summer of 08

The best way is by credit card before. You cannot be verified before submission. You cannot submit without payment.

About your ECs, is there anything you can group together in the other slots? If you feel you need to list it all to emphasize certain strengths and personal characteristics, see what's related and group them.

Just want to say thanks Myuu and everyone else for responding to so many questions.
The process is intimidating in many aspects and having such knowledge available is both comforting and helpful.
If I could, I would send you quite a large cookie.

Yes. And list it as 'Freshman', not 'High School'.

Thanks for the reply! But on my transcript they have it classified as Spring 2004 and Spring 2005.This is when i actually took the ap exam. But are we still supposed to enter this as Fall 2006, the first semester in college as this seems to be in disagreement with the transcript.......

We can send in our transcript before June 1st right?

question regarding AP credits:

I saw one guy putting a "P" under grade

when searching I saw some people putting "G"

...and yet some say leave it blank?

suggestions?

If you leave it blank, a big red message will pop up informing you that you left it blank. If you put in a P, that message won't pop up. If the verifiers don't like the P, they'll remove it, but it certainly won't hurt to put it in. You just don't want to mark down "A", for instance, because that'll conflict with your GPA calculation and they'll definitely change that (unless you go to one of those schools who actually gives a grade based on your score).

You can not prevent schools from getting your application after you've designated to send your app to them. You can withdraw from them, but later on if you reapply, you'll have to state that you applied before.

after the 4-5 weeks it'll take to verify...

Let me repeat this. If you submit in JUNE, it will not take WEEKS for your application to be verified. It will take DAYS. If you submit in July, it'll take a little longer. The reason it takes so long to be verified is that AMCAS has to go through each application individually. The more applications there are, the more time it'll take to go through them. Most people still don't submit til July, August, or September.

Anybody know what to do about listing multiple presentations in one work/activity box? It's bugging me that you can only select one date in the drop-down box.

That's what the comment box below the activity is for.

Thanks for the reply! But on my transcript they have it classified as Spring 2004 and Spring 2005.This is when i actually took the ap exam. But are we still supposed to enter this as Fall 2006, the first semester in college as this seems to be in disagreement with the transcript.......

The dates on my transcript are when the school received my scores. Since yours shows up more as transfer credit (taken in x year, rather than applied to y year), you can probably get away with entering it in as the date that you took the exam.

We can send in our transcript before June 1st right?

You better! You don't want that kind of unnecessary delay!

Let me repeat this. If you submit in JUNE, it will not take WEEKS for your application to be verified. It will take DAYS. If you submit in July, it'll take a little longer. The reason it takes so long to be verified is that AMCAS has to go through each application individually. The more applications there are, the more time it'll take to go through them. Most people still don't submit til July, August, or September.

That's only really true if you're submitting really close to the first possible submission date, unless you're early-decision, in which case, turn-around is 1-2 days.

See this thread for last year's verification wait times. Somewhere buried in there, there's also a mid-season graphical summary.

Thanks Myuu!:thumbup:

So about the AP grades, do I leave the grade section blank or put in "P"? My transcript doesn't say grades, only how many credits I earned.

rate limiting step is the transcript, which includes
1. your spring semester ending/grades coming back - you entering your grades
2. you requesting them
3. your school processing that request and sending it
4. US postal service
5. amcas sorting through mail, acknowledging that it received it
6. verifying your grades (depends on how early/late you are in line)

So about the AP grades, do I leave the grade section blank or put in "P"? My transcript doesn't say grades, only how many credits I earned.

i left it blank last year. nothing was changed.

That's only really true if you're submitting really close to the first possible submission date, unless you're early-decision, in which case, turn-around is 1-2 days.

See this thread for last year's verification wait times. Somewhere buried in there, there's also a mid-season graphical summary.

Towards the end of June, you're still only looking at about 2 weeks, which is still shorter than the 4-5 weeks people keep stating.

Yeah, I would go with P. I'm curious to know, though, if your transcript specifically lists "AP blahblahblah" or just credit for the course.:)

My school doesn't do that, so when I filled all the stuff in and got verified, it came back with a mysterious 25 IB-related credits.:laugh:

Towards the end of June, you're still only looking at about 2 weeks, which is still shorter than the 4-5 weeks people keep stating.

4-5 weeks is more of a late august time... I think that figure is getting posted in response to people asking about submitting later in the season...

Status
Not open for further replies.