Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm also pretty wary of taking on a lot of debt for an MPH. I received an in-state acceptance last week (UCLA), but that'd still cost 50k. This is totally irrational, but there's a part of me that wants to say screw it and go my first choice school, because I'll be in major debt either way.
For the record, no one should follow in my footsteps. I have no idea what I'm doing.

i got accepted to UCLA as well, which would be my cheapest option since I'm from CA but I'm going to have to say screw it and go to my first choice school, Columbia. Once you're looking at 50,000+ of debt you might as well go somewhere that you really want to go.

Can't agree more. Plus, who knows, maybe student loans are the next thing to get bailed out...

***Please take my response as well intentioned, not as criticism.***

While most, if not all, of us here take financial matters with the kind of careful, serious reflection it deserves, the sentiment here suggests that education loan debt needs further consideration. Taking on debt is no small matter and should not be taken lightly. Debt, including school related debt, affects every component of your personal and professional life. For instance, it is common for prospective employers not only to conduct background check but also to review your debt history. Debt will affect your ability to negotiate the mortgage of your home. It may limit your buying power when considering a new home or a new car. Debt in the short-term affects debt in the long-term. Take it from someone with an advanced degree. (I have a doctorate.) I have loans from both undergraduate and graduate schools. Believe me, you want to carefully review your current financial situation and options as they directly affect your future educational, professional, and personal goals.

While a public health related degree will serve you well, it may be worth noting that those in the field with masters-level degrees do not earn a significant base salary. Individuals with higher incomes in the field are likely to have other advanced degrees, such as MD, PhD, JD, etc. A quick look at the leadership structure of public health organizations or related institutions will show that many have advanced degrees beyond the masters-level degree in public health. In addition, many, if not most, with masters-level degrees do not choose to pursue a higher-level degree (e.g., DrPH, PhD, etc.). Also, many students will pursue epidemiology as their concentration. This is admirable; the field needs experts with both the knowledge and skills in epidemiology, biostatistics, and related quantitive expertise. However, the high percentage of those with such backgrounds also mean a potential for saturation of the profession (i.e., we do not need that many epidemiologists). The potential - and emphasis on the potential - saturation may mean greater competition for smaller availability of epidemiology related positions or may mean lower ability to negotiate a competitive salary base (i.e., an employer can just as easily hire someone who will accept the lower pay since there are so many epidemiologists).

What may or may not happen is not sufficient to regard debt as second-class consideration. For instance, I do not foresee the government bailing out education loans anytime soon. The rewards for the government, guarantors, loan consolidators, etc. are too great and come in the form of compounded interests. People and businesses make money out of your debt. There is too much incentive to bail out education loans. Also, recessions do not recover quickly. On average it takes 10 years for a high-income country to return to its pre-recession economy. As such, if we take 2007 as the start of the current recession, this will take you to 2017. Again, your advanced degree in public health will serve you well in the job market. However, securing a job is not the same as enjoying the financial rewards of it. You may be earning less than if you were in a pre- or post-recession economy. If the base salary is low, the earning power is low throughout the course of one's employment - that is, your salary will not suddenly improve "to make up for the difference" when the economy fully rebounds in the next several years. Studies show that one's salary grade is contingent on the economic climate at the time you entered the workforce.

Many private universities offer excellent training. Columbia, for example, will offer a series of personal and professional rewards. The "name brand" is not to be taken lightly because the university is an excellent institution. However, will this be sufficient to garner financial security in the longer term? Is it possible to reach your long-term goals by taking short-term ones different than originally planned? For instance, can one go to UCLA with an in-state tuition and still graduate with personal and professional needs met? There will be sacrifices to be made, perhaps, by going to a public university, but are these sacrifices truly more costly than the high-risk prospects of accruing private university debt following a job position that has no guarantee of higher pay?

Consider your unique financial situation in very real terms. It will get very real on the other end.

Members don't see this ad.

^ Great post on many levels.

One thing every one should do is to run some loan repayment calculators. Figure out how much you're going to be spending in loans every month for at least ten very long years. At the earliest, you're going to be graduating with your MPH at about 24/25 years old. The debt could make you put off buying a house, a car, starting a family, etc. This is something not to be taken lightly.

And I highly doubt the government is going to start bailing out educational loans.

Also, many students will pursue epidemiology as their concentration. This is admirable; the field needs experts with both the knowledge and skills in epidemiology, biostatistics, and related quantitive expertise. However, the high percentage of those with such backgrounds also mean a potential for saturation of the profession (i.e., we do not need that many epidemiologists). The potential - and emphasis on the potential - saturation may mean greater competition for smaller availability of epidemiology related positions or may mean lower ability to negotiate a competitive salary base (i.e., an employer can just as easily hire someone who will accept the lower pay since there are so many epidemiologists).

Porkbuns,

Do you have a feel for some ways to become a successful epidemiologist in the saturated field?

Members don't see this ad :)

While most, if not all, of us here take financial matters with the kind of careful, serious reflection it deserves, the sentiment here suggests that education loan debt needs further consideration. Taking on debt is no small matter and should not be taken lightly. Debt, including school related debt, affects every component of your personal and professional life. For instance, it is common for prospective employers not only to conduct background check but also to review your debt history. Debt will affect your ability to negotiate the mortgage of your home. It may limit your buying power when considering a new home or a new car. Debt in the short-term affects debt in the long-term. Take it from someone with an advanced degree. (I have a doctorate.) I have loans from both undergraduate and graduate schools. Believe me, you want to carefully review your current financial situation and options as they directly affect your future educational, professional, and personal goals.

While a public health related degree will serve you well, it may be worth noting that those in the field with masters-level degrees do not earn a significant base salary. Individuals with higher incomes in the field are likely to have other advanced degrees, such as MD, PhD, JD, etc. A quick look at the leadership structure of public health organizations or related institutions will show that many have advanced degrees beyond the masters-level degree in public health. In addition, many, if not most, with masters-level degrees do not choose to pursue a higher-level degree (e.g., DrPH, PhD, etc.). Also, many students will pursue epidemiology as their concentration. This is admirable; the field needs experts with both the knowledge and skills in epidemiology, biostatistics, and related quantitive expertise. However, the high percentage of those with such backgrounds also mean a potential for saturation of the profession (i.e., we do not need that many epidemiologists). The potential - and emphasis on the potential - saturation may mean greater competition for smaller availability of epidemiology related positions or may mean lower ability to negotiate a competitive salary base (i.e., an employer can just as easily hire someone who will accept the lower pay since there are so many epidemiologists).

What may or may not happen is not sufficient to regard debt as second-class consideration. For instance, I do not foresee the government bailing out education loans anytime soon. The rewards for the government, guarantors, loan consolidators, etc. are too great and come in the form of compounded interests. People and businesses make money out of your debt. There is too much incentive to bail out education loans. Also, recessions do not recover quickly. On average it takes 10 years for a high-income country to return to its pre-recession economy. As such, if we take 2007 as the start of the current recession, this will take you to 2017. Again, your advanced degree in public health will serve you well in the job market. However, securing a job is not the same as enjoying the financial rewards of it. You may be earning less than if you were in a pre- or post-recession economy. If the base salary is low, the earning power is low throughout the course of one's employment - that is, your salary will not suddenly improve "to make up for the difference" when the economy fully rebounds in the next several years. Studies show that one's salary grade is contingent on the economic climate at the time you entered the workforce.

Many private universities offer excellent training. Columbia, for example, will offer a series of personal and professional rewards. The "name brand" is not to be taken lightly because the university is an excellent institution. However, will this be sufficient to garner financial security in the longer term? Is it possible to reach your long-term goals by taking short-term ones different than originally planned? For instance, can one go to UCLA with an in-state tuition and still graduate with personal and professional needs met? There will be sacrifices to be made, perhaps, by going to a public university, but are these sacrifices truly more costly than the high-risk prospects of accruing private university debt following a job position that has no guarantee of higher pay?

Consider your unique financial situation in very real terms. It will get very real on the other end.

Was just kidding about a student loan bailout :)

That being said, having worked in the industry for several years now, I can confidently say that student loan debt will be the next financial crisis our country faces. Unsecured loans, given with little regard for credit rating, at a fixed rate, are not profitable for banks (hence they are heavily subsidized). In fact, the government has bought a lot of these loans to encourage further lending. Having so many people strapped with debt will require government intervention of some form (or another bank collapse when these get marked to their real value).

Despite this (and I guess it sounds hypocritical given my last paragraph), if you have researched your schools well and truly believe that one school is best for you, and you are talking about 50k vs. 80k of debt, I'd have to say go for it. Especially if you are going to a school that offers amazing career and network connections.

WOW, lengthy post. I probably should have mentioned that I wasn't just choosing Columbia for the name but because of the focus with international health. It offers far more opportunities than UCLA, which I think is worth the additional debt. I do agree that debt shouldn't be taken lightly but you shouldn't settle for a program to save a few thousand when you'll have to rely on the degree for your future career/networking. Everyone is going to grad school with different goals and personal lives so it's important to know what will work for your situation.

no Colombia mph epi news yet ? rrahhhhhhvhh

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking. Thought I'd contribute since I just heard back form Columbia!!!!!!!

UGPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Health, Science, & Society
GRE: 161Q, 159V, 4.5W

Experience/Research:
Worked in 3 science labs as a research assistant - 2 were summer long, one was for a year
Had an internship at a health advocacy organization in nyc for a semester
presented sociology research at an undergraduate conference on health & society

Applied: (either for Health Policy or for general track if there was no HPM) Dartmouth, Emory, Tufts, Brown, U Mich, Columbia, Yale, GWU, BU, UCLA, UCB

Accepted: Dartmouth, Emory, Tufts, Brown, UCLA, Columbia!!!!!
Interview at U Mich scheduled for March 18

Rejected:

Waitlisted:

I will post dates soon! Congrats everyone!!!!

Hi! Congratulations!! I have also been accepted to Dartmouth and Columbia (HPM). And I think I am between these two choices. I was excited someone else had applied to Dartmouth as I haven't seen it listed on here. (In fact, your post got me to make an account and post rather than lurk :)) I was wondering how you feel about their program in comparison? I went there for undergrad, so am very partial to the school, but don't want that to cloud my judgment. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in about the financial aspect of our upcoming decisions. You shared some really great insights that will help a lot of students (me, for one).

My hesitancy toward attending UCLA comes mainly from not wanting to live in CA (or even the US probably) after graduating. NYC and Boston are full of companies with heavy international ties -- I don't know whether or not this is true for UCLA's connections as well. Does anyone have info on this? I can't find anything on their website.

UGPA: 3.54
Major/Minor: Environmental Public Health/Chemistry
GRE: 162 V, 155 Q, 4.0 W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Research with an Econ prof on impacts of Climate Change in US & China, Sustainability Director at school and two PH internships

Applied: Columbia, BU, GWU, Tulane, USC, UMinn (all MPH EHS). Turned in everything to SOPHAS 12/18, mailed 1/21
Accepted: UMinn (2/21), Columbia (2/22) :love:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Congratulations on Columbia!! Have you heard anything from GW yet? I'm "patiently" waiting for a decision from them ;)

Wow, that's my exact situation. Maybe I'm not being so crazy after all :)

I'm also deciding between UCLA and Columbia. Finances are going to play a major part in the decision making process for me, too. So far, UCLA has offered me a $10k fellowship and I haven't heard from Columbia yet. That basically brings UCLA down to $35k and Columbia still at $70k... twice the tuition! I also heard that most first years at Columbia just take out loans; their first semester of core classes under the new curriculum are intense and it would be difficult to work at the same time. Also, housing sounds pretty pricey in NYC.

I have some money saved, but definitely not enough to cover living expenses and the rest of tuition, so I'll probably still need to take loans. However, knowing that I want to work for the community possibly in a non-profit after graduation, I don't want to build a huge amount of debt that I won't be able to pay off in a reasonable amount of time.

Other than personal matters (like friends/family/bf in LA, weather, etc), I'm also leaning toward UCLA for the way they recognize API communities in their curriculum. I reviewed the syllabus for UCLA's immigrant health course, and was delighted to see that API narratives are integrated in there. There are also API faculty in Community Health Sciences. At Columbia, the student group Advocates for Asian Americans in Health is working on incorporating API into the curriculum, including a new course that will be taught in the fall. I guess what it comes down to for me is whether I want to go to a school that already understands the needs of the community I want to work with or a school that has a different perspective.

I didn't even think I'd be accepted at an Ivy league school, so the name/prestige is definitely tempting. The new curriculum sounds solid and NYC would be an excellent place to live for a couple of years... But as of right now, I don't think it's worth the cross country move and loads of debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my acceptance email from BU with a merit award! I'm still waiting for Harvard, but am extremely honored and relieved to have gotten in here.

UGPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Art History, Art
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.7
Grad Studies (if applicable): Art
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 10/10/12--V: 163, Q: 158, W: 4.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): significant academic accomplishments in art history, leadership position in local non-communicable disease NGO, 2 years working in medical computer technology

Applied: Harvard (12/15), BU (1/16), UMass (1/14)
Accepted: UMass (2/13), BU (2/25)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Anyone have experience with applying with previous academic work in a non-science/math field? I've done some analytic research, but I feel like they're going to see me as coming completely out of left field...

Another Epi acceptance at Columbia :)

Last edited:
Must have just released a batch, just got my acceptance letter for Columbia MPH with cert in infectious diseases letter via email.

i think i just got accepted to brown!!! hahahah i say i "think" because i'm having trouble believing this is real.... ahhhhhhhh they wouldn't make mistakes in sending out decision letters would they..? ahaha

Also accepted to Columbia MPH Epi!

Same here. Congrats, everyone.

I can't create an account on the financial aid application website using the CUID provided in the email. I guess it's a bit too soon? :p

In at Columbia for Epi with certificate in Applied Biostat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think they send out their acceptances for particular concentrations on particular dates? I feel like they do since it's not rolling? I applied to the HPM track and I feel like everyone who got in already got their acceptances :/

Congratulations on everyone who is hearing back with good news!

Hey everyone,

I've always known that I'm more than likely NOT going to get into Columbia (after talking w/ admissions officers) because of my GRE scores and not taking any math in college (I was an Anthro major...) but I wanted to see if anyone has heard that they have NOT gotten into Columbia yet...

The wait is kind of brutal at this point :/

Congrats to all of those who have heard good news so far- we're all going to make a great difference in the world!

Hey everyone,

I've always known that I'm more than likely NOT going to get into Columbia (after talking w/ admissions officers) because of my GRE scores and not taking any math in college (I was an Anthro major...) but I wanted to see if anyone has heard that they have NOT gotten into Columbia yet...

The wait is kind of brutal at this point :/

Congrats to all of those who have heard good news so far- we're all going to make a great difference in the world!

Fwiw, I am an anthro major and I was pretty discouraged after talking to Columbia's admissions people but I was accepted today. Don't give up hope :)

In at Columbia for Epi as well (with a concentration in health policy)!

Does anyone who stalked the forum last year remember when financial aid packages start arriving? Thanks :)

Congrats everyone!

I'm starting to feel like a failure. I've already heard back from four schools, and they have all been rejections. I might have to reapply next year.

Has anyone heard from Yale/Berkeley HPM yet?

I was wait-listed at Yale for HPM last week. Not quite the same as an acceptance but i'm assuming they've sent some acceptances since they're wait-listing folks. Good luck!

Congrats everyone!

I'm starting to feel like a failure. I've already heard back from four schools, and they have all been rejections. I might have to reapply next year.

don't lose hope yet! ppl are getting into multiple schools but will ultimately have to choose one.. leaving spots for us. this isn't over yet :)

Congrats everyone!

It is a competitive application cycle this time. Don't feel like a failure. Keep your head up and prepare to reapply this year again. See if you can take a grad class in the Summer to help your chances.

I too am waiting on acceptances. Are you waiting to hear from any other schools??

don't lose hope yet! ppl are getting into multiple schools but will ultimately have to choose one.. leaving spots for us. this isn't over yet :)
Thanks, I hope so! :) Good luck to you!

It is a competitive application cycle this time. Don't feel like a failure. Keep your head up and prepare to reapply this year again. See if you can take a grad class in the Summer to help your chances.

I too am waiting on acceptances. Are you waiting to hear from any other schools??

Aw, thanks :)

Yes, I'm still waiting on four schools, but two of them would be a big reach (I expect to be in the next rejection group on Friday for one of them--and I'm kind of bummed because it'll be on my birthday and I'm tired of bad news, but that's kind of a silly thing to be sad about.)

I'm actually really hoping for the SUNY Albany distance learning MPH, because in November we found out my boyfriend has cancer and we were planning on moving to NY or MA together this fall, but I'd really like to stay here until we know he's in remission and his doctors think it would be okay to move. (I do also really like the program though, too) and because of my current results, it's not looking good...

I've made plans for taking some classes should I not get in, I just feel very blah :(

I hope you do well and get into your program of choice, too!

Good luck, and thanks for the reassurance, guys.

Still haven't heard back from Yale, GWU, Pitt, and Columbia (all HPM) and I was verified with SOPHAS late Jan (1/24) does anyone think this means they're waiting to reject me? Or is that just pessimism on my part :( aaargh the wait is so torturesome

Fwiw, I am an anthro major and I was pretty discouraged after talking to Columbia's admissions people but I was accepted today. Don't give up hope :)

Also an anthro major here & and an applicant to Columbia (I haven´t heard back) - I applied to MPH in SMS, which did you guys apply to?

I'm actually really hoping for the SUNY Albany distance learning MPH, because in November we found out my boyfriend has cancer and we were planning on moving to NY or MA together this fall, but I'd really like to stay here until we know he's in remission and his doctors think it would be okay to move. (I do also really like the program though, too) and because of my current results, it's not looking good...

I'm so sorry about this. Best wishes to you and him.

Also an anthro major here & and an applicant to Columbia (I haven´t heard back) - I applied to MPH in SMS, which did you guys apply to?

Epi. Which I was accepted to with very, very little math and science background (no math courses at my U- only AP credit and one dual-enrollment calc I class; handful of science classes but no labs). I have no idea why they admitted me tbh. Fully expected a rejection.

Epi. Which I was accepted to with very, very little math and science background (no math courses at my U- only AP credit and one dual-enrollment calc I class; handful of science classes but no labs). I have no idea why they admitted me tbh. Fully expected a rejection.

Ok, well they clearly see something in you past the math! Congratulations! :D I don´t have much math either but I don´t know how important that is in SMS...

Still haven't heard back from Yale, GWU, Pitt, and Columbia (all HPM) and I was verified with SOPHAS late Jan (1/24) does anyone think this means they're waiting to reject me? Or is that just pessimism on my part :( aaargh the wait is so torturesome

If you weren't verified by SOPHAS till 1/24, the schools have only had you application for a month. Not much time to process everything, get it to a committee, and get back to you. Hold in there!

Congrats everyone!

No worries! I got 4 rejections before getting into Brown and Columbia. It's hard to predict stuff like this. Stay positive!

No worries! I got 4 rejections before getting into Brown and Columbia. It's hard to predict stuff like this. Stay positive!

Thank you :)

It seems a few people are in my situation, I hope we all end up okay, and happy!

Congrats! Have you decided where you're going?

I got my first acceptance an hour ago! Accepted into Pittsburgh´s MPH program in Behavioral and Community Health :D

GPA: 3.42 (as calculated by WES)
Major/Minor: Anthropology/Medical Anthropology
GRE: 159 V, 145 Q, 4.0 W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Research assistant to a history professor, job training at a UN headquarters in Europe, worked in a hospital one summer.

Applied: [In Social Factor in Health, Sociomedial Sci., Behavioral Sci. etc.] Johns Hopkins (1/20), Columbia (2/21), Pittsburgh (2/21), Yale (2/21), Boston (2/21), Emory (2/21). - Date mailed by SOPHAS.
Accepted: Pittsburgh (02/26)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

you got into brown too! congrats :) which one did you end up choosing? are you gonna check out the open house at brown at all?

Last edited:
If you weren't verified by SOPHAS till 1/24, the schools have only had you application for a month. Not much time to process everything, get it to a committee, and get back to you. Hold in there!

Verified 1/15 but schools started saying they had received my app around 1/24, so I guess you're right haha thanks for putting it into perspective! Just so much nervousness. so happy for people getting in to Columbia, Yale etc right now, would love to hear back :( thanks for the words of encouragement!

Thank you :)

It seems a few people are in my situation, I hope we all end up okay, and happy!

Congrats! Have you decided where you're going?

I know it sounds cliche, but everything will turn out ok! I understand all the anxiety that you are going through. But just keep reminding yourself that things will get better :) And even if you have to reapply next year, it's not the end of the world.

Thanks! I'm haven't decided yet between these options yet. I'm still waiting on a couple of other schools.

you got into brown too! congrats :) which one did you end up choosing? are you gonna check out the open house at brown at all?

Thanks! Congrats to you as well! I haven't made a decision yet. Not sure if I'll be attending the open house at Brown. Do you think you'll be visiting?

Well, my twin sister and I both got into Columbia for MPH EPI. She got into Berkeley MPH infect/diseases a couple of weeks ago with a full ride fellowship and additional living stipend....hopefully I get that too from both Columbia and Berkeley, but leaning more toward Berkeley since I hear Columbia's financial aid packages aren't that great. I am verrry hesitant about taking a bunch of loans for a not so well paying and not guaranteed job.

Columbia will have to convince me with some generous financial aid...I don't know if the name is worth all that debt in this economy...

Congratulations on Columbia!! Have you heard anything from GW yet? I'm "patiently" waiting for a decision from them ;)

Ugh I know! No news from my end yet... Though with the timeline they gave me I should know by the end of this week. Good luck to you!

Thanks! Congrats to you as well! I haven't made a decision yet. Not sure if I'll be attending the open house at Brown. Do you think you'll be visiting?

yeah, i rsvp'd to the april one (before i even got my acceptance lol) instead of the march one, so that if i were to have been rejected before april, i could just cancel my rsvp.

so far brown's the only place i got into and i'm waiting on a few more, so i can't say for sure if i'll end up going to the open house either... but it'd be cool if i saw you there :laugh:

Does Yale send out decisions on Fridays or is it random?

yeah, i rsvp'd to the april one (before i even got my acceptance lol) instead of the march one, so that if i were to have been rejected before april, i could just cancel my rsvp.

so far brown's the only place i got into and i'm waiting on a few more, so i can't say for sure if i'll end up going to the open house either... but it'd be cool if i saw you there :laugh:

Haha sounds good. I'll PM you if I decide to attend the open house.