2013-2014 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Received an email from here! Just had to choose which campus I was applying to (Twin Cities or Duluth) but no secondaries yet
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is your application verified? Mine was yet when I chose Twin Cities it said when my app is verified I'll get the secondary...
 
U of Minnesota Twin Cities Secondary Prompts:

*1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, please discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. 1500 ch

*2. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it. 1500 ch

*3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations. How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School? 1500 ch

*4. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota? 300 ch

*5. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. 1200 ch

*6. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year? 1200 ch

*7. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.300 ch

8a. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?*
8b. If YES, you must include a full explanation below. 1200 ch

*9. Have you considered alternate career options to fulfill your commitment to providing healthcare other than medicine? Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted to medical school. 900ch

* What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? 900ch
 
Is anyone submitting more than the 3 reference letters they want? I get the impression that they want a maximum of 3, but I'm unsure..
 
Is anyone submitting more than the 3 reference letters they want? I get the impression that they want a maximum of 3, but I'm unsure..
I would submit your 3 strongest letters. I met with an adcom member in June to go over my application from last year and she recommended only submitting 3 letters. The reviewers don't want to waste their time with excessive letters but they will feel obligated to read them all, thus potentially making them irritated if you submit 6. However don't be afraid to submit more than 3 if you think the additional letters will contribute to your application. Good Luck!

I just submitted my supplemental tonight.
 
I would submit your 3 strongest letters. I met with an adcom member in June to go over my application from last year and she recommended only submitting 3 letters. The reviewers don't want to waste their time with excessive letters but they will feel obligated to read them all, thus potentially making them irritated if you submit 6. However don't be afraid to submit more than 3 if you think the additional letters will contribute to your application. Good Luck!

I just submitted my supplemental tonight.
I applied EDP and was verified on 8th. When did you get verified? I just want to get a sense of how long it will take to receive the supplemental. Thanks!
 
Hey, I think it is a risky topic to write in your secondary. It really depends on how you pitch it and the experience/lesson you gained from the struggle, e.g. you want to help out the patients with such a struggle because you understand their suffering. Just my personal opinion.

What did you submit your primary application? I am still waiting for the secondary after being verified since last Monday. I don't know when I shall be expecting the seconday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied EDP and was verified on 8th. When did you get verified? I just want to get a sense of how long it will take to receive the supplemental. Thanks!
Well, I am going to reply my own message in case other people were wondering about the same question as I did. I just received the supplemental from the medical school. So, it took them one week to send out the secondary after my app was verified.
 
Well, I am going to reply my own message in case other people were wondering about the same question as I did. I just received the supplemental from the medical school. So, it took them one week to send out the secondary after my app was verified.

Are you EDP? I.e. mines been verified since June but no secondary yet but I'm also not EDP...
 
Are you EDP? I.e. mines been verified since June but no secondary yet but I'm also not EDP...
Yes, I am. I am also IS. That is probably why I got it early. I think you will get yours soon. I read on the forum that sometimes it took them a couple months to send out the secondary.
 
Verified by AMCAS July 8th. Submitted my Duluth application this morning. Out of state but I grew up on a reservation, so hoping that helps. 3.8 GPA, MCAT score is in on Tuesday...gulp
 
FINALLY my secondary was received! MSAR shows that "qualified applicants" receive secondaries; any thoughts on what their criteria is?
 
I just called the admissions office and Duluth does NOT accept OOS unless you're American Indian.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is minnesota OOS friendly? (what does MSAR say?)

considering applying

Just about the same as other state schools. Very low chance for OOS'ers just due to the volume. I think you have about a total of 3% (don't quote me) chance to get in from out of state, which is actually pretty good compared to surrounding state schools.
 
With respect to the character requirements you have listed, do spaces and paragraph breaks count against the character limit?
 
U of Minnesota Twin Cities Secondary Prompts:

*1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, please discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. 1500 ch

*2. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it. 1500 ch

*3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations. How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School? 1500 ch

*4. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota? 300 ch

*5. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. 1200 ch

*6. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year? 1200 ch

*7. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.300 ch

8a. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?*
8b. If YES, you must include a full explanation below. 1200 ch

*9. Have you considered alternate career options to fulfill your commitment to providing healthcare other than medicine? Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted to medical school. 900ch

* What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? 900ch

With respect to the character requirements you have listed, do spaces and paragraph breaks count against the character limit?
 
II received on 8/16. Dates of 8/26 and 9/6 offered.. In state. Not EDP. 3.8, 31
Hopefully see some if you there on the 6th
 
How long has it taken OOS people to go through the screening before getting their secondary? I've gotten an email a while back about being complete, but no secondary yet, though I think my stats are competitive enough that they should want my money 🙂

sGPA 3.83, 37MCAT
 
How long has it taken OOS people to go through the screening before getting their secondary? I've gotten an email a while back about being complete, but no secondary yet, though I think my stats are competitive enough that they should want my money 🙂

sGPA 3.83, 37MCAT

I'm oos, got an invite a while ago, going up there Friday. I'll let you all know how it goes.

edit. ii two weeks after submitting secondary.
 
*1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, please discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. 1500 ch

So, I talked about both my parents having cancer in my PS as reason to become an oncologist. That IS my early life experiences. Can I expand on that, or should I avoid mentioning it at all because I talked about it in my PS? "Beyond what you have written" implies we can touch on overlapping subjects if we bring new details to the table?
 
Hey anyone who is coming to interview, I'm an undergrad here, so PM me if you need any information about the city, places to stay/eat, etc. It's beautiful right now!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long did it take you all to get screened for the secondary? It's only been a week since I got the email that I was being screened (in all about 2.5 weeks since verification) but I'm still confused. I have gotten every other secondary at least a week ago, including ones that screen. I'm pretty confident that I should get a chance since my stats are within range, though I'm OOS....
 
Invited for an interview this morning! (for the Twin Cities Campus). OOS
Resident: CA
AMCAS verified: 7/31
Secondary Received: 8/6
Secondary completed:8/6
sGPA:3.75
cGPA: 3.70
MCAT: 32N (8VR/10BS/14PS)
Some percentage Native american (percentage unknown due to the fact my grandpa was adopted, however its likely that I am 1/4) however I cannot prove it with documents. I explained this in my secondary when asked about ties to the state.
Good luck to everyone.
 
How long did it take you all to get screened for the secondary? It's only been a week since I got the email that I was being screened (in all about 2.5 weeks since verification) but I'm still confused. I have gotten every other secondary at least a week ago, including ones that screen. I'm pretty confident that I should get a chance since my stats are within range, though I'm OOS....

They take a while, and that's an understatement. AMCAS verified in June and I got the secondary on Aug 6th.