***OFFICIAL 2014 Pre-Allo Re-Applicant Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BecksTriad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Since AMCAS 2014 submission starts tomorrow I thought I would make a thread for all us re-applicants to follow each other and provide some moral support! Having to do this all over definitely sucks but at least I can take some solace in the fact that I am not alone. I can't wait to see us all finally get what we've worked so hard to achieve! Good luck everyone :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Let's kick some ass this cycle! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be joining you guys! Are you all submitting tomorrow? I am delaying by a week or so.

Will be joining you guys! Are you all submitting tomorrow? I am delaying by a week or so.

I'm not making the same mistakes as last year. It's going in tomorrow, bright and early.

Tomorrow at 9:00:01! ;)

nice glad we got this party going hahaha. I will be submitting tomorrow for sure. I am working on my AMCAS all day. It's mostly done but I am just tidying it up. Does anyone else feel like they'll be less on edge this next cycle? after going thru this once I have a much better understanding of how long and drawn out this process is. I don't think I'll be sitting in front of my computer refreshing my inbox for complete e-mails this time lol.

There's a specific reapplicant sub forum that might be more appropriate for a thread like this?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=95

That being said though, I'll be fighting to get it right this 2nd time around as well!

Debating if I should submit tomorrow or take a few days to make sure everything is where I want to it be....

RIght there with ya! Wish us all the best of luck this time around :D

Another reapplicant here!
I feel pretty sanguine about the reapplication process right now, am more nervous about scrambling to figure out what I'm going to do in this extra gap year!

I've seen some of you guys from your posts in the panic thread...since like last fall. I can't help but root for you guys more so than other applicants. I hope you all get into your top choice this time. Good luck!

i'm reapplying as well. how much did you guys change up your PS?

I changed up my personal statement quite a bit. There is no universal answer for how much someone should change their PS for reapplication. It depends on each applicants situation. I did a lot of self reflection about my reasons for pursuing medicine and my goals for my medical career. doing that really helped me re-do my personal statement. I would suggest trying to do the same thing. good luck!:luck:

ugh, figuring out how much to change my PS has been a struggle for me.
my reasons for pursuing medicine have not changed substantially over the past year.
the substantive experiences that have led to my interest in medicine haven't really changed. although I did have some accomplishments this past year, the core of my resume is basically the same.
I think my PS also wasn't my main barrier last year. applying to a very small number of schools (and kind of late) was.
I might be making the wrong move, but I've decided to not dramatically change my PS -- just tweak it here and there, and add some content about a new experience in the past year. after a lot of thought and attempted drafts, I feel like radically rewriting my PS to address different experiences etc. would only make it weaker and less representative of me as an applicant. since I applied to very few schools last year and will be applying more broadly this year, I figure my content will be brand new to most places where I'll be applying and so minimal changes won't be too much of a problem. I am, however, concerned that the few schools to which I am reapplying will perceive me as lazy, apathetic, or entitled for not changing my PS more.

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh, figuring out how much to change my PS has been a struggle for me.
my reasons for pursuing medicine have not changed substantially over the past year.
the substantive experiences that have led to my interest in medicine haven't really changed. although I did have some accomplishments this past year, the core of my resume is basically the same.
I think my PS also wasn't my main barrier last year. applying to a very small number of schools (and kind of late) was.
I might be making the wrong move, but I've decided to not dramatically change my PS -- just tweak it here and there, and add some content about a new experience in the past year. after a lot of thought and attempted drafts, I feel like radically rewriting my PS to address different experiences etc. would only make it weaker and less representative of me as an applicant. since I applied to very few schools last year and will be applying more broadly this year, I figure my content will be brand new to most places where I'll be applying and so minimal changes won't be too much of a problem. I am, however, concerned that the few schools to which I am reapplying will perceive me as lazy, apathetic, or entitled for not changing my PS more.

If your thinking has not changed that much then I wouldn't worry about changing your PS. Change it if you feel it should be changed. otherwise you might risk seeming disingenuous if you write a bunch of BS that doesn't show any true growth.

Along the lines of the PS, how much have you guys changed your "most meaningful" activities? I'm keeping two of them there, and adding in one activity from this year.

Have all of you also been on waitlists this entire time?

I have been WL since OCT 15 of this cycle -_______-. I changed 2 of my most meaningful activities. even the one that I left the same I changed the description

Along the lines of the PS, how much have you guys changed your "most meaningful" activities? I'm keeping two of them there, and adding in one activity from this year.

I updated one of my meaningful experiences with a new activity that I've been working at this past year. I also got a new LOR to go with it. The other two were edited, but stayed very similar to last year.

I've been playing the WL game for awhile now.

What's everyone doing for the next year? Anyone else hitting up an SMP?

Also reapplying. 35 3.7. Complete everywhere mid Sept last year, aiming for July this year.

Loving the idea for this thread :D Thanks for setting it up!

I'm a reapplicant this year, stats are not super-impressive for SDN (3.7/31). I made a lot of mistakes last year (applied late to only two schools with a lower MCAT, lower GPA, and less graduate work completed), but I've tried to correct all of those weaknesses this year, and am excited to see how things will turn out. :luck:

If your thinking has not changed that much then I wouldn't worry about changing your PS. Change it if you feel it should be changed. otherwise you might risk seeming disingenuous if you write a bunch of BS that doesn't show any true growth.

bolded for emphasis. that is exactly my concern! thank you for the feedback.

my designated "most meaningful" activities are the same, but I significantly revised the work/activities "most meaningful" essays. I added a few new experiences this year, but none really replaced my previous experiences in importance to me (these were all longer-term endeavors).

been on wait lists for a while too. sigh.

What's everyone doing for the next year? Anyone else hitting up an SMP?

at this point, deciding whether I should --
*attend a masters program to which I have been admitted. it's not an SMP, but is one of those one-year topical masters programs that some health professions schools offer.
*stay in my current full-time job and take a la carte classes at local university.
*stay in my current full-time job and maybe get another relevant part-time job on the side like scribing.
*attempt to get a new full-time job in a healthcare or research related field.
I'm hoping I can get everything figured out sometime after I get the app in tomorrow, but before I start pre-writing secondaries...

Also reapplying. 35 3.7. Complete everywhere mid Sept last year, aiming for July this year.

You are apparently my reapplication twin.

nice glad we got this party going hahaha. I will be submitting tomorrow for sure. I am working on my AMCAS all day. It's mostly done but I am just tidying it up. Does anyone else feel like they'll be less on edge this next cycle? after going thru this once I have a much better understanding of how long and drawn out this process is. I don't think I'll be sitting in front of my computer refreshing my inbox for complete e-mails this time lol.

I definitely have mixed feelings about the process this year. I feel like I'm not as worried about being rejected this time -- realizing now that's it's just part of the process for a lot of things like this, and everything will work out eventually. But, on the other hand, I also feel a little more worried about the outcome this year -- I'm making some huge life changes already to pursue this goal (moving cross-country; resigning from a nice, stable job in a different career; spending most of my savings on tuition for next year; etc.). Just eel like I have a bit more at stake, I guess.

SourD21 said:
I went in a completely different direction with my PS this year. A bit nervous about it actually. I received positive feedback on my PS last year, but didn't feel comfortable mentioning a big (health-related) obstacle I've faced the past few years. This year, I decided I was ready to talk about it, but have received mixed feedback. Still working on it :cool:

On a similar note, are any of you guys applying MD/PhD? And, if so, are you using the same essays for those applications too?

holy crap those are some beast stats and no acceptances???:confused::confused::confused:

I applied in September to only the very small number of schools within an hour of my house :smack: I received a couple IIs...I performed crash-and-burn horribly in one of my interviews (resulting in a waitlist), and my other interview went really well (also resulting in a waitlist). :laugh:

ohhh ok. I applied early last year and still didn't get in anywhere :( and am currently WL everywhere. You both will definitely get in this next cycle now that you are applying early.

You both will definitely get in this next cycle now that you are applying early.

i really don't know about that :cry:. my stats realistically aren't the barrier, but there's probably all sorts of flaws and deficiencies in my application (in activities etc) that adcoms can nitpick over; my interview skills aren't great (though I will be practicing a lot if/when I get any invites); and then there's just that random factor of 'fit.' i don't think anybody is ever a shoo-in (except possibly that rare enviable 4.0/40/perfect ECs applicant).

i'd say you probably have great odds this cycle though if you made it onto quite a few WLs.

3.7 and a 29 here. Are all of you just graduating as well?

I'm trying my best to get a scribing position for the next year to do full time. There are none where I live so I'm probably moving at least 8 hours away from where I currently live. A new beginning, I guess?

holy crap those are beast stats and no acceptances???:confused::confused::confused:

It's not really about the stats. This game is a roll of the dice. (I'm sitting on 3.9 and a 36).

Steppin' up to the plate!! Who's gonna make the 2013-2014 Panic Thread this year? :D

Goodluck this cycle guys!!

i'm sure i could search for this info so sorry but i've always wondered, why is a scribe position so valued? as opposed to any other patient care related job or something like that?

Try finding another clinical EC with little to no previous experience required that pays you money.

Joining the party........ My AMCAS won't be ready until next week though. (Too busy sending update letters)

Currently sitting on a WL for my top choice but as far as I know, they've had no movement. No idea of my position on the WL either.

My app is ready to go if I don't want to change my PS but I feel the need to tweak it a bit. Not much has changed but I have a new job in the OR.

My stats are just OK and I applied super late - I was complete in October at one school and in January at four others. Got two interviews. One WL.

HERE WE GO AGAIN! This time hoping to do it better by getting everything in early.

verified. not much change in my stats (.01 difference in overall GPA). ohhhhhhhh boy

I made a whole new PS, but I'm a reapplicant from the 2012 application year so I've had a lot of things to do since then to write a new one.

hows everyones reapplication process coming along? I have been verified by AMCAS so I'm officially a reapplicant now lol

Reapplying here this or next week, took a gap year plus this coming year. Applied quite late in 2011, got two oos interviews, one wait list, no miracles. Getting married next week. Lot going on over here!

Sup all, I first applied two years ago to only 6 schools. 2 interviews, 1 wait list, 0 acceptances.

I'm trying to submit my AMCAS by the end of the week. I'm worried it won't be verified by June 28!

Don't rush to reapply with the same application. Take time to better your app UNLESS you have AMAZING stats and something just went wrong last cycle.

Waiting for a course list from my SMP before I submit. I'll be happy if I'm verified by early July.

Just submitted AMCAS. Much different feeling than last year...

This thread is super uplifting, and you guys are all amazing. I'm re-applying as well, after being waitlisted at 4 schools, then getting kicked off slowly one by one starting mid-May (currently sitting on one last WL).

Yeah last year I was much more optimistic about being accepted into an MD school

I have applied MD and DO. I find myself now being really excited about DO, although that might be a product of just finding it more feasible to happen.

I'm not sure if this happened to any of you, but I also have realized many mistakes that I made last year with my applications, whether it be writing too formally, not writing enough, or focusing on the wrong things. I'm definitely spending more time researching each school individually and creating folders for them to help with the "Why ___" questions that pop up.

I have applied MD and DO. I find myself now being really excited about DO, although that might be a product of just finding it more feasible to happen.

I'm not sure if this happened to any of you, but I also have realized many mistakes that I made last year with my applications, whether it be writing too formally, not writing enough, or focusing on the wrong things. I'm definitely spending more time researching each school individually and creating folders for them to help with the "Why ___" questions that pop up.

Me, too! I didn't apply to DO's the last time around, but I took a class my senior year about what DO's do. I feel that nobody has a better skill-set for improving quality of life than a DO. (I'm still hoping for MD :oops:)

Yeah last year I was much more optimistic about being accepted into an MD school

I would say I am more optimistic this year (7 interviews worth of experience later...), but very discouraged about what has appeared to me to be a very strong regional/geographic/racial/gender bias against me (CA white male). I guess this year will come down to applying to the right schools and selling myself better at the interviews...

I would say I am more optimistic this year (7 interviews worth of experience later...), but very discouraged about what has appeared to me to be a very strong regional/geographic/racial/gender bias against me (CA white male). I guess this year will come down to applying to the right schools and selling myself better at the interviews...

I'm scared no schools will interview this cycle that did last cycle :(. Does anyone know how that works? On a happier note-- I just got hired for my gap year job:). Ill b working as a preoperative assistant