***OFFICIAL 2014 Pre-Allo Re-Applicant Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all -- another re-applicant here. Did you all get new LOR's for this cycle, or did you reuse any from the last cycle? What's the general consensus on this? (I feel like mine are all pretty decent, since they came from doc's I'm been working with for 4+ yrs -- so I would prefer not to ask for new ones if at all possible).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all -- another re-applicant here. Did you all get new LOR's for this cycle, or did you reuse any from the last cycle? What's the general consensus on this? (I feel like mine are all pretty decent, since they came from doc's I'm been working with for 4+ yrs -- so I would prefer not to ask for new ones if at all possible).

Re-using all mine. Too much of a hassle to get new ones, and since I've been out of school all this time, it won't make a difference (my letters are as good as they'll get).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, another reapplicant here. I applied late in the cycle in 2011 with a 28S MCAT. I am almost finished my primary for this cycle, so it will be in relatively early, and I recently retook the MCAT and got a 35, plus gained a ton of clinical experience, and some volunteer experience. My adviser thinks I have a shot at my first choice in state school applying EDP, so that's what I'm doing. I just can't believe this year could be it :)

Well, I just submitted my application. CA res, 3.9 with MCAT 29. I applied mid July last summer but this year I'm applying earlier and to more schools within my current range. I feel like it was my MCAT that really dragged me down (along with some dumb school choices) so I'm praying the retake I took May 30th will be better since I went through a course.

To AMCAS, I have really changed my personal statement. (I applied for McGill last year, which doesn't have rolling admissions and the application doesn't open until September, which gave me a lot more time to polish my PS.) My revised one is much stronger and more straightforward and factual instead of emotional, although I've put some of that in it too.

Unfortunately I didn't see the writing on the wall and hadn't thought about having to reapply until after I was rejected after my interviews. So I'm afraid I haven't done too much different EC wise from last application. I took an EMT class and have my certificate, but I don't have any experience yet (just got it this month). I was asked back to be an instructor and will be starting it early next month. I started some volunteering and shadowing this month as well, but that's about it. But I think it was more my MCAT stats and timing and schools I applied to that did me in. (One of the schools I interviewed at said the main reason I was rejected was because they had 300 more applicants this year so I guess that's...kind of good?)

I didn't apply to DO last year, but I am this year. I have heard of a stigma against them, but at this point I've realized that I really just want to be a medical doctor and if going to a DO will do that for me, then so be it. I just have to somehow scrounge up a doctor letter of rec.

I have applied MD and DO. I find myself now being really excited about DO, although that might be a product of just finding it more feasible to happen.

I'm not sure if this happened to any of you, but I also have realized many mistakes that I made last year with my applications, whether it be writing too formally, not writing enough, or focusing on the wrong things. I'm definitely spending more time researching each school individually and creating folders for them to help with the "Why ___" questions that pop up.

i'm also sorta excited about applying DO this cycle. I personally have gotten over my own bias about DOs (no doubt in part bc of my failures this cycle). Their philosophy is pretty chill and I know some DOs who have matched in competitive residencies. Obv I'd still prefer to be an MD but I am excited about being a doctor either way.

I'm no longer actually a reapplicant.

One of those last-minute, miracle acceptances from a waitlist came through this week. :D

Good luck to all my fellow waitlisters and reapplicants.

I'm no longer actually a reapplicant.

One of those last-minute, miracle acceptances from a waitlist came through this week. :D

Good luck to all my fellow waitlisters and reapplicants.

Same here. Was just checking in to root for you guys!

:eek: I didn't know you were a reapplicant. One of us, one of us, one of us...

LOL yea,
Applied back in 2010 with 0 interviews.

Did a complete 180 from that application to the one I submitted this year.

Hopefully it will pay off..:xf:

Hey guys I'm trying to decide when to sign up for my MCAT.

Got a 26 last cycle with no physics, and I've been doing a lot of studying this summer. I want to submit my AMCAS, but am worried that the schools I am interested in will deny me right off the bat before my new MCAT gets added to it.

Can someone clarify the timeline of how this will work? I'm totally lost.

Hey guys,

According to the Interbutts and my pre-health advisor the only thing wrong with my application last year was that it was late. I've been busting butt on trying to re-write my personal statement since it was deemed serial killer-esque, but...

I got nothing. I seriously cannot spit up anything better. My transcripts are received, all the other data put in, but I cannot draft this damn thing.

Should I just give up this cycle and try again next year? I also have a pressing deadline at work, so it's not like I have scads of free time during the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

According to the Interbutts and my pre-health advisor the only thing wrong with my application last year was that it was late. I've been busting butt on trying to re-write my personal statement since it was deemed serial killer-esque, but...

I got nothing. I seriously cannot spit up anything better. My transcripts are received, all the other data put in, but I cannot draft this damn thing.

Should I just give up this cycle and try again next year? I also have a pressing deadline at work, so it's not like I have scads of free time during the day.

I would not let your PS be the only thing stopping you from applying if everything else is solid

Hey guys I'm trying to decide when to sign up for my MCAT.

Got a 26 last cycle with no physics, and I've been doing a lot of studying this summer. I want to submit my AMCAS, but am worried that the schools I am interested in will deny me right off the bat before my new MCAT gets added to it.

Can someone clarify the timeline of how this will work? I'm totally lost.

U can designate on your AMCAS that you plan to take another MCAT. schools will wait on that score before making any action on your application

bumping to see how everyone's application is going. anyone get any II yet?

I think some of the schools I applied to in first round (unsuccessfully) were out of my range w/ regard to GPA/MCAT. This cycle I'm only applying to four of the same schools (out of 11). Are people applying to all of the same schools this cycle?

Is it likely that reapplicants get filtered into a separate review cohort?

Thanks and good luck!

Reapplicant here. 32 MCAT. Less than stellar GPA :(

Was wondering if I could ask your guys' opinion on something - Been working in a lab for the past year, but was hoping to take some classes to provide another number for med schools to look at. I couldn't enroll in SMPs/one-year Master's programs because I couldn't leave my family (personal reasons beyond my control) + financial issues. So: am now taking classes as a non-degree seeking student at the public health school in my city and am thinking about enrolling as a non-degree student at a university near me and taking advanced biology classes; because their Master's isn't designed to be completed in a year (i.e. small university so all classes aren't offered every semester).

What do you guys recommend? Should I do this? At one hand, I really want to, because taking courses like immunology, neuroscience would help me later on + I know I can do well --- but does enrolling as a non-degree seeking look bad? :confused:

Help me out please!

It would be helpful to know your GPA. But if you didn't get any interviews last cycle it's safe to assume your stats are part of the problem. I think taking classes as a non degree student is ok. But I would suggest taking at least 15 credits of upper level science

Reapplicant as well, took my MCAT last week (7/25) and have been dealing with AAMC regarding my FAP so I could apply to all the schools I want to. Sounds more like a panic thread post, but its not really something to panic about more so than it is something to be angry about. Other than that I've been in a postbac for the past year to increase my GPA and have done great so far. Here's to a successful reapplication for all of us.

Reapp-ing, hopefully it goes better at the interview stage this year... if I get there first

Question (and bump) to my fellow reapplicants. Did any of you guys mention what you've done since the last application in your personal statement? The reason I ask that is that I believe that my statement is strong without referencing what I've done since my last app. I also have those experiences mentioned in my activities (including most meaningful) and will no doubt be asked things in secondaries, so I feel it shouldn't have to be addressed a third time in my personal statement. Ugh, so frustrating cause now I think I should've.

Question (and bump) to my fellow reapplicants. Did any of you guys mention what you've done since the last application in your personal statement? The reason I ask that is that I believe that my statement is strong without referencing what I've done since my last app. I also have those experiences mentioned in my activities (including most meaningful) and will no doubt be asked things in secondaries, so I feel it shouldn't have to be addressed a third time in my personal statement. Ugh, so frustrating cause now I think I should've.

If it makes you feel better, I think it's a bad idea to talk about reapplying in the PS. No need to turn their attention to a negative in your most major essay.

Hello guys, re-applicant too here.

Got waitlisted last cycle, and rejected a while ago. So in the meantime, I haven't done anything clinical or volunteering because of a full-time job.

Does this look bad? (I'm also continuing a research that was done from last year, and another part-time job on the side. Yes I am broke I need the money to pay for med school.)

Hello guys, re-applicant too here.

Got waitlisted last cycle, and rejected a while ago. So in the meantime, I haven't done anything clinical or volunteering because of a full-time job.

Does this look bad? (I'm also continuing a research that was done from last year, and another part-time job on the side. Yes I am broke I need the money to pay for med school.)

Is your job clinical?

Is your job clinical?

Nope. Not at all. I wouldn't mind getting one but my degree is in something totally different and un-clinical (I tried applying). And besides, I need to get a good job with a good pay to help settle some of the debts (this includes financing med school in the future if I get in).

Eyyy boys

I'm seeking out non-clinical volunteer opportunities because I had none on my last app

Does it matter what the position is? Like if I was filing papers for the Salvation Army, would that count? What about chopping vegetables and scooping soup at a soup kitchen? Both of them are dumb menial tasks but the second one seems like it would look better

I'm also looking into research tech jobs. If I'm just running gels or doing PCRs all day without really contributing any ideas, would this count as research?

I am gonna try substitute teaching for my gap year and if I hate it... at least it will be easy to quit. Plus flexible with the hours so I can go off to all the tons and tons of interviews that I really really hope I get this time :)
Retook the MCAT... Primary done.... Submitted 90% of my secondaries.... I am almost ready to forget/(blackout) that I had to do all of that stuff twice :p (and hopefully not again and again)
Good luck to everybody reapplying!

Is it likely that reapplicants get filtered into a separate review cohort?

This.

I'm scared no schools will interview this cycle that did last cycle :(. Does anyone know how that works?

I'm scared as well. Last cycle, I was lucky enough to interview at 3 CA schools (I'm a CA resident), only to be waitlisted then rejected anywhere. Is there a "we already gave you a chance" mentality among the adcom of most schools?

This.

I'm scared as well. Last cycle, I was lucky enough to interview at 3 CA schools (I'm a CA resident), only to be waitlisted then rejected anywhere. Is there a "we already gave you a chance" mentality among the adcom of most schools?

It depends on how well you did at the interview. If you were flat- out rejected post- interview (like I was at three schools the first cycle), then you most likely will not be granted an interview. However, I have seen reapplicants receive interviews at schools they were wait listed at the first cycle, and then get accepted the second time around. You still have to prove how you have improved your app at these schools, though.

It depends on how well you did at the interview. If you were flat- out rejected post- interview (like I was at three schools the first cycle), then you most likely will not be granted an interview. However, I have seen reapplicants receive interviews at schools they were wait listed at the first cycle, and then get accepted the second time around. You still have to prove how you have improved your app at these schools, though.

Thanks!

I am gonna try substitute teaching for my gap year and if I hate it... at least it will be easy to quit. Plus flexible with the hours so I can go off to all the tons and tons of interviews that I really really hope I get this time :)
Retook the MCAT... Primary done.... Submitted 90% of my secondaries.... I am almost ready to forget/(blackout) that I had to do all of that stuff twice :p (and hopefully not again and again)
Good luck to everybody reapplying!

I'm applying to be a sub as well! Reapplicant checking in - applying to schools in FL, GA, NY, and DC. May we all be accepted this cycle :)

:love:
Such optimism in this thread. I love it.
If only they made a med school class with the people on this thread...

What constitutes improvement in an application if stat wise you are fine? A new EC or continuation of EC's? Better essays? A new LOR? Earlier submission?

What constitutes improvement in an application if stat wise you are fine? A new EC or continuation of EC's? Better essays? A new LOR? Earlier submission?

I'm not sure....only thing I can think of is if you had very little EC involvement or no clinical experience.

Personally, I'm reapplying with an improved MCAT (27 to a 31). My GPA is only a 3.46, so not too great. I did do 90+ hours of volunteer work in the ER though to boost my clinical experience, since my other EC's were strong.

Who knows.....

If everything else is fine, then the only thing left to do is apply early. Make sure transcripts, application, and MCAT scores are turned in on the first day and return secondaries ASAP.

I applied 2008-2009, didn't make it in, questioned whether I was ready for medicine. Much more mature now, committed again & applying this cycle.

Went from 3.65 to 3.8 cGPA, sGPA is around 3.95. 33Q -> 38S MCAT.

I have all my EC checkboxes filled in (and enjoyed them). Just a little bit worried that I'm just a bit of a reader (just read hundreds of books in my time off from school & studied several languages), and didn't do a bunch of things that could be "verified" during my time off (apart from work and my ECs and some online writing).

This may not matter, I don't know.

I'm going heavy top-20, but also with pretty much everywhere in Texas and Cali. Also with a few other scattered mid-low tier state schools to complete the balance. May throw in my dice with Drexel/Temple if I'm not getting any bites within 1-2 weeks.

So far, one II (Hawaii), one rejection (Chicago). Was complete at most of my places late July, seen a lot of IIs from people completed later. We'll have to see if my app is still being shuffled around and I get a couple more later this month.

Started thinking about applying for a post-bacc or Master's program. Not much sure how much longer I can stand being out of school. If this application cycle doesn't work, it'll probably be best to throw in the dice and do a grad program to show I'm academically as good & ready as I claim. But who knows, gotta see what comes up.

Good luck to everyone.

I applied 2008-2009, didn't make it in, questioned whether I was ready for medicine. Much more mature now, committed again & applying this cycle.

Went from 3.65 to 3.8 cGPA, sGPA is around 3.95. 33Q -> 38S MCAT.

I have all my EC checkboxes filled in (and enjoyed them). Just a little bit worried that I'm just a bit of a reader (just read hundreds of books in my time off from school & studied several languages), and didn't do a bunch of things that could be "verified" during my time off (apart from work and my ECs and some online writing).

This may not matter, I don't know.

I'm going heavy top-20, but also with pretty much everywhere in Texas and Cali. Also with a few other scattered mid-low tier state schools to complete the balance. May throw in my dice with Drexel/Temple if I'm not getting any bites within 1-2 weeks.

So far, one II (Hawaii), one rejection (Chicago). Was complete at most of my places late July, seen a lot of IIs from people completed later. We'll have to see if my app is still being shuffled around and I get a couple more later this month.

Started thinking about applying for a post-bacc or Master's program. Not much sure how much longer I can stand being out of school. If this application cycle doesn't work, it'll probably be best to throw in the dice and do a grad program to show I'm academically as good & ready as I claim. But who knows, gotta see what comes up.

Good luck to everyone.

With those stats, I don't see how you don't get in somewhere, unless you are super weak in EC's and putting up major red flags in interviews. 3.9+ and a 38? You should be good to go.....at least I would think so.

Just got a second II :D

congrats thats awesome! I have also received two MD interviews for this cycle from schools I was wait listed at last year. I am so thankful for these new opportunities and am looking forward to making a good impression during my interviews. Good luck everyone and keep up the good work!

Accepted today!!!!! Wanted to bump and let my fellow reapplicant know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you all get the news you want soon!

Last edited:
Accepted today!!!!! Wanted to bump and let my fellow reapplicant know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you all get the news you want soon!

:clap: Congrats! To think, a couple months ago you were panicking in the EVMS thread and now you've made it through.