Oklahoma State 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that70sfan11

Oklahoma State c/o 2014!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't worry I haven't received a letter yet! But last year it said they started sending out IS interview invites on Jan. 31st, so it's getting close.

I can't decide if they will send letters out this week or if it will be next week. Any insiders have any idea?

Anyway, good luck to everyone else in-state and sorry for you OOS folks that have to wait forever to hear!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok you made my heart stop for a split second. It feels like an eternity before we'll hear anything!

And no, I don't have any inside info- other than I know they are starting the subjective evaluation for all applicants this week. Yea for waiting even longer :rolleyes:

just this week???
uggggh guess I'll stop checking the mail this week then :bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. Well, most (if not all) in state applicants that meet requirements will be interviewed, so I'm being patient for now. In March, it will be a different story.

Got my interview invite letter in the mail today - any other in staters should get theirs today or tomorrow (I live in Stillwater so it didn't have far to go). :)

They tend to interview everyone - I got an interview last time, too - so it's not as amazing as, say, an interview at UPenn. BUT, it's the last step before the big decision. A month and a half from now, I'll know my future - scary, but welcome.

Now I just need to freak out about interview questions and stuff.

Congrats! I just checked the mail and nothing :(

What day is it? That's the most important thing I need to know!

EDIT: I'm dumb, I just realized you posted in the interview section with the date

Last edited:
You choose between the 25th and 26th. I haven't technically picked yet, but I'm sure I'll get one the 25th just fine. The offices are closed today because it's snowing, lol.

Congrats, TT, it's still pretty darn exciting!

And speaking of OOS, when exactly can we expect to hear? I could go stalking old threads, but well, I'm at work and feeling lazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh great i'm so glad we get to choose! I have a biochem test and a class that only meets once a week on the 25th. I hope the spots aren't all taken on Friday though!

They tend to interview everyone - I got an interview last time, too - so it's not as amazing as, say, an interview at UPenn. BUT, it's the last step before the big decision. A month and a half from now, I'll know my future - scary, but welcome.

I'm not so sure about that because I have two friends that both got rejection letters yesterday, and they were good applicants. It makes me nervous since I'm OOS. Congratulations to everyone that got interviews!

Interview!!! I "knew" it would come, but I was still a bit nervous in case something went wrong! alright!

Good deal! Let me know if you need help finding your way, or if you want to visit ahead of time (a "test run") and I'd be happy to show you around, or at least give directions.

Sweet thanks! I wanted to get a tour last year at the open house but it was on the same day as the Bio GRE :/ so that would be much appreciated! I'll let you know

I have a friend that is a first year now and she told me her letter came on March 13th. So it might be a long month for all of us in the OOS group.

I'm not so sure about that because I have two friends that both got rejection letters yesterday, and they were good applicants.

Does this mean a round of rejections have gone out? Were your friends IS or OOS?

I got an interview invite yesterday! I am in the process of scheduling my flights and stuff like that. I am trying to get an appt on Friday because I want to travel on Thursday... Oh what fun!

Does this mean a round of rejections have gone out? Were your friends IS or OOS?

Both of my friends were IS, so yes a round of rejections have gone out for IS applicants. Both of their letters were something along the lines of your application does not warrant an interview at this time and we wish you the best of luck next year from what they told me. :(

It would be awesome if OkSU could go ahead and let us OOS folks know something- but only if it's an acceptance. I'm becoming waaaay to familiar with the rejections thread.

Good luck on your interviews IS peeps!

Yeah I wish OSU was just faster overall! I have already heard back from all my other schools and I really really want to know where I'm going to be living next year and who my classmates are going to be, etc.

It's going to be a painfully long month for all of us!

A friend of mine who also got an interview at OK-State had a fourth year do some investigating and they said that they are only interviewing 81 this year so for us in-staters the odds are looking good!

That would be nice? I mean, I don't want a free pass - I want to feel like I earned it - but at this point, I kinda already do. So, uh, bring on the good odds!

That70s, is OK your first choice? I'm assuming so. Let me know if you decide to visit, cause I might be out of town next weekend for a day or so. But Thursdays are good.

That would be nice? I mean, I don't want a free pass - I want to feel like I earned it - but at this point, I kinda already do. So, uh, bring on the good odds!

That70s, is OK your first choice? I'm assuming so. Let me know if you decide to visit, cause I might be out of town next weekend for a day or so. But Thursdays are good.

If I get in to OK state then I think I'm about a 60 - 70% chance of going there. The pluses are that its a good school, close to friends and family (& boyfriend), and its the cheapest

I'm only not 100% because Mizzou is only about $20,000 more total than OK, has a better curriculum IMO (2 + 2), has a better town (sorry Stillwater! ;)), and honestly I'm a little ready for a change of scenery after living in Oklahoma my whole life.

but anyway, I'm sure I'll end up going to OKState, and I think finally visiting the vet school will help since I've never actually seen it.

And well Thursdays are bad for me, my best days are Friday afternoons when I get out of class at 10:30 a.m.... will you be in town next Fri. anytime after noon?

I don't want to make you do that haha... I don't mind waiting for the official tour, I just thought I'd try to pencil it in if it could work out

Hey twelvetigers and/or current vet students,
what is OSU's exposure to wildlife/exotics/zoo?

I'm not sure I want to do this, but I at least want some decent experience with it if possible

I know you guys worked with an elephant last year (?) which sounds amazing!

One coworker is being induced in Tuesday, so that leaves just me and one other tech... so Friday might be a pinch. She's been preggers for so long. I keep forgetting she's about to pop, lol. I will let you know Monday.

As for wildlife and exotics, well... there are always deer, geese, ducks, and assorted pet birds and ferrets. Anything big from the Tulsa or OKC zoo goes to OSU. I've heard tell of a tiger, several cougars and bobcats, a zebra, a baby giraffe... but nothing constant, you know? We do have a zoo vet as a clinician, and there is a 'ZEW' club. You would not be alone in your desire to work with wilds and exotics. It's no UF or UTK, but we do get cases enough to get a feel for the field.

There was an elephant in last semester, but it was sort of a freak thing. From what I understand from a second year friend of mine, there was a traveling circus going through a main highway around here and somehow the elephant got out at a stop they made. It was hit by an elderly couple on the road and so the owners brought it in for x-rays on one of it's legs, but it was fine. Talk about interesting! There is a really good food animal program at OSU since there are so many beef cattle around the state. I'm not so sure about the caseload of exotics though.

If anyone OOS needs a tour, I work in an animal behavior research lab in the vet school so I have facility access if they wanted to see the school. Just let me know. I'm free most of the time. :)

Haha, we should give a group tour since I was basically offering the same thing. :hungover: I worked for several labs in McElroy, and I spent two years at Antech in the BVMTH so I'm a familiar face there as well. :) You should PM me!

Haha, we should give a group tour since I was basically offering the same thing. :hungover: I worked for several labs in McElroy, and I spent two years at Antech in the BVMTH so I'm a familiar face there as well. :) You should PM me!

That would be really awesome! I'm sorry I didn't put the two together with the tour thing. I was reading the thread off of my iPhone and was basically skimming. Good luck on your interview! I don't get one b/c I'm OOS. :(

Oh yeah? So you were cruising top speed on Stillwater's extra-awesome EDGE network?

That's right, folks - a college town with no 3G service. Good job Cingular.

I hear rumors of improvement...

anyone know why OSU is not listed in the interview feedback?

Because SDN deleted what was there when they did the transfer. :(

I'd love to talk to you about interview questions on Friday... since I got the afternoon off. ;) PM me and we'll set something up!

I am starting to get nervous and its a little more than a week away! Does anyone know what types of questions they ask? Is it super intimidating or is it more conversational?

I need to start sitting down and doing some research but I cant sit still at times thinking about it....

From what I've heard the interviewers are supposed to put us at as much ease as possible (unlike past years). I have been told by a former interviewer to be sure to be up to date with current events in Oklahoma and vet med (e.g., the tooth floater bills currently being discussed in the House) because they are sure to ask us current events questions. Expect a lot of ethics questions as well.

So have OOS letters started to make their way out? I heard from a friend that a friend of hers (OOS) got a "no" sometime last week. Anyone confirm anything?

So have OOS letters started to make their way out? I heard from a friend that a friend of hers (OOS) got a "no" sometime last week. Anyone confirm anything?
I think for OOS they only send out "no's" for now. So if you don't get a letter then it's a good thing.

Hmm I wonder how long the "no's" will be filtering through the mail. Basically wondering how long till I can exhale and feel a little sigh of relief?

From what I can deduce by past years threads, it seems that a wave of rejections went out mid February to folks that were rejected in more of a disqualified manner (ie pre-reqs too old, missing coursework or transcripts, etc). After that wave it was mid March before anything else from the school.

Maybe twelvetigers will have more insight, but that's what I can tell so far.

Here's the email I got from them when I asked about dates and such:

"We will send out two rounds of letters for the non-residents. The first will be at the end of this month and those will be non-resident not qualified. If you do not receive a letter at that time, consider it a good thing. The second round will be non-resident accepted/alternate/denied and those will go out around mid-March. Hope this helps!"

Guess it depends on what "not qualified means". BTW this was sent to me in January.

I would assume that "not qualified" means they didnt take the Biol. GRE, GPA is below the mininum, prereqs are from the stone age (if OK-state has an expiration policy?) , etc.