Oklahoma State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Declined my OOS seat, good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything that is on the acceptance list? I know it's early but other schools have been calling people!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m too scared to email and ask if they’ve started calling people yet 😂
I spoke with them around 3 today. They said they have NOT started calling!! The person over the waitlist is going to give me a call tomorrow (they were out of office when I called today) with more info.

I spoke with them around 3 today. They said they have NOT started calling!! The person over the waitlist is going to give me a call tomorrow (they were out of office when I called today) with more info.
I saw on the pre-veterinary
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 7.12.01 PM.png
Facebook page that the school is having AVMA visits and is very busy with those, so it might take a while. Could you please update this thread when they call you back??

I saw on the pre-veterinaryView attachment 385620 Facebook page that the school is having AVMA visits and is very busy with those, so it might take a while. Could you please update this thread when they call you back?
I saw on the pre-veterinaryView attachment 385620 Facebook page that the school is having AVMA visits and is very busy with those, so it might take a while. Could you please update this thread when they call you back??
absolutely:)

Okay, so I spoke with admissions again today. Bad news, they do not have a single OOS seat open. They were able to tell me where I am on the list though (not the number but the area on the list) and if my spot has been pulled in the past. She said that they are at a standstill and cannot call anyone until a seat opens meaning someone needs to forfeit their seat (for various reasons) OR fail a spring class and Spring grades are not due and evaluated until June 1. Also, they did not pull a single person off the waitlist last year which she said was weird and does not usually happen.
She told me she has even called people a week before orientation because someone dropped so not to lose all hope. They will send out an email to all alternates letting them know something around mid June because that is normally when things start to set in stone.

• Sad
Okay, so I spoke with admissions again today. Bad news, they do not have a single OOS seat open. They were able to tell me where I am on the list though (not the number but the area on the list) and if my spot has been pulled in the past. She said that they are at a standstill and cannot call anyone until a seat opens meaning someone needs to forfeit their seat (for various reasons) OR fail a spring class and Spring grades are not due and evaluated until June 1. Also, they did not pull a single person off the waitlist last year which she said was weird and does not usually happen.
She told me she has even called people a week before orientation because someone dropped so not to lose all hope. They will send out an email to all alternates letting them know something around mid June because that is normally when things start to set in stone.
Dang, okay! That's weird because I've definitely seen posts from OOS applicants saying they have rejected their seat. But who knows. Thanks for the info!

Dang, okay! That's weird because I've definitely seen posts from OOS applicants saying they have rejected their seat. But who knows. Thanks for the info!
Keep in mind that all schools over-accept their class by a specific margin based on what percentage of applicants declined their seat in the past. So in essence, every vet school has greater than 100% of their class chosen in acceptances before signing day, anticipating reaching 100% or less by signing day. If they have less than 100% of the seats filled, then they pull from the wait lists.

Keep in mind that all schools over-accept their class by a specific margin based on what percentage of applicants declined their seat in the past. So in essence, every vet school has greater than 100% of their class chosen in acceptances before signing day, anticipating reaching 100% or less by signing day. If they have less than 100% of the seats filled, then they pull from the wait lists.
What happens if no one ends up dropping out? Do they just go ahead with a larger class?

What happens if no one ends up dropping out? Do they just go ahead with a larger class?
They know what students do year after year, so that doesn’t usually happen. Or if it does happen it’s like 1-2 seats it’s not hard to make fit. I think the main time it happened where there were way too many acceptances was a few years back at Illinois when they over accepted by 20-30 (if my memory serves correctly), but they tried to defer as many students as would do that, then they did just accept everyone and made it work?

They know what students do year after year, so that doesn’t usually happen. Or if it does happen it’s like 1-2 seats it’s not hard to make fit. I think the main time it happened where there were way too many acceptances was a few years back at Illinois when they over accepted by 20-30 (if my memory serves correctly), but they tried to defer as many students as would do that, then they did just accept everyone and made it work?
The class of 2020 at Illinois over accepted by 50 seats initially. Class was supposed to be 120, the initial count was 180. The closed the class on signing day. We ended up at 164 the first day of class. People were able to defer and people did give up their seats when accepted elsewhere. Normally, 80% of in state students accept their seat, which was true that year; however, something like 45 or 50% of our of state students accepted their seat when it was normally 25%.

They had to scramble, honestly. They added extra seats to one of the didactic classrooms during a remodel that was already happening. The teaching hospital remodel that was already on the works had to be retrofitted, including number of students per rotation since we do rotations in first and second year as well. It actually does turn into a whole thing with the Committee on Education with the AVMA because seats per class is one of the parameters the COE controls. Multiple site visits and such to show they're going to be able to accommodate the extra students all four years.

I ultimately ended up dropping to the class of 2021. But it was a wild ride from April 2016 to May 2017 with so many first years compared to all the other classes. It did work out in the end.

They did for the current first year class. But it was only a handful of people.
So for this year, they must have over-accepted again and just hoped that a normal amount of people would drop their seats (unlike last year)?

So for this year, they must have over-accepted again and just hoped that a normal amount of people would drop their seats (unlike last year)?
It's standard practice to over-accept, so yes. Having 5-7 extra people (what I take a handful to mean) is also common cause it's hard to get a perfect round number.