Michigan State Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdjy

non-traditional pre-vet
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm most likely not going to submit my VMCAS until Friday morning. I know Michigan State won't send out a supplementary until I do so.

If I don't submit VMCAS until Oct 1 in the early morning, will I be at risk for missing out on the MSU application process as a whole?

Members don't see this ad.

I think Michigan chooses who they want to send the supp to. So, you don't get one by default - you get one if you make it through the first round, or whatever.

I don't actually know the answer to your question, I guess, but I just wanted to clarify that.

Hello twelvetigers, thanks for the quick response.

Their site says, "All applicants will receive a supplemental application shortly after the VMCAS application is received. A deadline will be given for submission of the CVM Supplemental Application and $50 Fee." I'll give them a quick call in the morning to confirm ...

I think Michigan chooses who they want to send the supp to. So, you don't get one by default - you get one if you make it through the first round, or whatever.

I don't actually know the answer to your question, I guess, but I just wanted to clarify that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wisc pretty much says the same, "Do you have a Supplemental Application to be completed in addition to the VMCAS application and RADF?

Yes, all applicants will be notified by e-mail to complete our Supplemental Application in October or November.
* Please check your email regularly for messages about your application.
"

I swear I heard one of the schools mention what you said, but can't recall which one?!

When I applied, I submitted my VMCAS on the last possible day. After a month or two, I was sent a supplemental. I completed that before break and was informed that I'd gotten in in feb or jan, I don't remember which.

Calling them to confirm is probably the best plan, but most schools don't start phase two until after the VMCAS final deadline.

Thanks for clarifying :)

When I applied, I submitted my VMCAS on the last possible day. After a month or two, I was sent a supplemental. I completed that before break and was informed that I'd gotten in in feb or jan, I don't remember which.

Calling them to confirm is probably the best plan, but most schools don't start phase two until after the VMCAS final deadline.

Michigan State has a formula through which they score you. All applicants above a certain score are invited to submit a supplemental. I don't believe there is a limit to how many supplementals applications they invite. All applicants below the score cutoff are rejected. There is a thread somewhere that discusses how you are scored, but it is based on gpa, science gpa, gre scores, and maybe last 45 gpa.

So no, when you submit your application has no effect on whether or not you will be sent an invitation to complete their supplemental.

Having just been at a presentation given by Dr. Baptista, assitant dean at the MSU CVM, I know that their admissions are "rolling" this year. Every 2 weeks, the committee meets and reviews the applications sent within the past 2 weeks. They do use the SIS formula to weed out applicants, and students with an SIS lower than 790 do not receive a supplemental application. After the supplemental is due (you get 8 days to complete it), the committee meets again and sorts through that group. Dr. Baptista said the plan was to inform students much sooner of their status so they could have a "plan B" and wouldn't have that freak out moment of "WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!?" in late March. She said that a percentage of students are accepted from each group of supplementals, but she did not say how much. She also said the system could get a little backed up after this week since over 80% of their applicants waited to submit until the last week last year. Basically, she made it seem that there was an advantage to turning in your VMCAS early due to the percentages of acceptances, but she was VERY unclear on numbers. She did also say that if a student is really exceptional, they will be accepted regardless of the percentages for that cycle.

Interesting system. It's new so we'll see how it goes.

Hi, I have to admit I've been a lurker as many say and have never posted before. I love this forum and appreciate everyone's comments! I was wondering if I'm interpreting the Michigan rolling review correctly.... so after an applicant receives a supplement, the two weeks after the supplement deadline is the review and decision making? Does this mean that the applicant finds out right after the decision is made after those 2 weeks or will they wait and let everyone know at once towards the end of all of the reviews? Thanks!

Hi, I have to admit I've been a lurker as many say and have never posted before. I love this forum and appreciate everyone's comments! I was wondering if I'm interpreting the Michigan rolling review correctly.... so after an applicant receives a supplement, the two weeks after the supplement deadline is the review and decision making? Does this mean that the applicant finds out right after the decision is made after those 2 weeks or will they wait and let everyone know at once towards the end of all of the reviews? Thanks!

I was under the impression that 2 weeks after the supplemental was turned in, a decision would be made. However, Dr. Baptista never said those exact words, so I could be wrong. I wish we knew, though!

Having just been at a presentation given by Dr. Baptista, assitant dean at the MSU CVM, I know that their admissions are "rolling" this year. Every 2 weeks, the committee meets and reviews the applications sent within the past 2 weeks. They do use the SIS formula to weed out applicants, and students with an SIS lower than 790 do not receive a supplemental application. After the supplemental is due (you get 8 days to complete it), the committee meets again and sorts through that group. Dr. Baptista said the plan was to inform students much sooner of their status so they could have a "plan B" and wouldn't have that freak out moment of "WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!?" in late March. She said that a percentage of students are accepted from each group of supplementals, but she did not say how much. She also said the system could get a little backed up after this week since over 80% of their applicants waited to submit until the last week last year. Basically, she made it seem that there was an advantage to turning in your VMCAS early due to the percentages of acceptances, but she was VERY unclear on numbers. She did also say that if a student is really exceptional, they will be accepted regardless of the percentages for that cycle.

Interesting system. It's new so we'll see how it goes.

If this is true, I guess I made it past the 790 cutoff! I just got my supplemental via e-mail. Did anyone else get one today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my supplemental app today too! My due date is Oct 19. I wish I had known about this rolling admissions earlier, would have turned my app in earlier!

I'm not sure that I believe the cutoff thing for the supplemental. Everywhere on the MSU site implies that everyone gets one. I don't know. Also, I'm sure that not all of us turned in our apps at the very last minute...I pretty much did...but I'm sure some people on here were not procrastinating as much so wouldn't they have received supplementals already?

Anyone know of an online course that fullfills their Eukaryotic Cell Biology pre-req????????:eek:

Anyone know of an online course that fullfills their Eukaryotic Cell Biology pre-req????????:eek:
Shoot Pat an email. ([email protected]) She will direct you to Dr. Baptista who has a list of online eukaryotic cell bio courses:).

Oh, and, MSU CVM allows you to take prereq's in the summer before matriculation, as long as they are completed by August 1st.

I turned my application in the day before the deadline (9/30) and got a supplemental on 10/6 (it's due the 14th). For those of you who also received supplemental applications already do you mind posting your SIS scores? Mine is a 910.

To calculate your SIS score...
take your overall gpa, divide by 4, and then multiply that by 270
take your science gpa, divide by 4, and multiply that by 320
take your last 3 semesters gpa, divide by 4, and multiply by 200
take your GRE score, divide by 1600, and multiply by 210.

Add it all up and you get your SIS score. It's out of 1000 points. To be "academically competitive" and receive a supplemental application, I'm pretty sure you have to have above a 790.

so when determining who they accept, do they still take our SIS scores into consideration? or from this point on is it based on our supplemental apps, elors, vet/animal experiences etc?

Shoot Pat an email. ([email protected]) She will direct you to Dr. Baptista who has a list of online eukaryotic cell bio courses:).

Oh, and, MSU CVM allows you to take prereq's in the summer before matriculation, as long as they are completed by August 1st.

Whew! THANKS......I panic sometimes, lol They responded very promptly!

I'm not sure that I believe the cutoff thing for the supplemental. Everywhere on the MSU site implies that everyone gets one. I don't know. Also, I'm sure that not all of us turned in our apps at the very last minute...I pretty much did...but I'm sure some people on here were not procrastinating as much so wouldn't they have received supplementals already?

I received and completed my supplemental over a month ago, so they are definitely rolling. As far as everyone receiving a supplemental, all I know is what Dr. Baptista has been telling us for the past 2 years lol. You could try emailing/ calling the admissions office about it. I would, but after hearing the presentations, I feel silly to call about that. Hopefully everyone on SDN gets one! She did say that the last set of applications from VMCAS might take them a little longer than 2 weeks to get through since there will be a lot, so if you didn't get one yet, don't panic!

so when determining who they accept, do they still take our SIS scores into consideration? or from this point on is it based on our supplemental apps, elors, vet/animal experiences etc?

Dr. Baptista explained that your SIS is still the main component, and admissions committee members can add to your SIS score based on ELORS, supplemental answers, and your overall VMCAS app. She said no points could be deducted, though. Again, this is only information I have heard in presentations, and I wish that the website could give us better details/ a more explicit explanation of the admissions process. Maybe sending an email wouldn't hurt?

Someone told me that she knew someone who already got an acceptance letter for the c/o 2015. Good luck guys! :xf::luck:MSU is such an awesome school and East Lansing is amazing!

to anyone who thinks that EVERYONE receives a supplemental, that is not the case. i applied to MSU last year and did not receive one. hope that clears things up.

I sent my supplemental application in Sept 30th but have heard nothing since. I am glad I made the first round cutoff, but it is pretty nerve -wracking to think that I could have already been rejected from my group. I guess for now I will assume that no news is good news.:scared:

so does MSU have interviews after all of this supplemental application business?

Someone already has an acceptance letter?! I thought I had a few more months before I had to obsessively check the mailbox! :eek:

Someone already has an acceptance letter?! I thought I had a few more months before I had to obsessively check the mailbox! :eek:
Admissions are rolling this year, so you can expect to get a letter of acceptance/rejection sooner than previous years. For example, I was told by the CVM that I would receive an acceptance/rejection letter in December, but since admissions are rolling this year, I received mine last Thursday.

Admissions are rolling this year, so you can expect to get a letter of acceptance/rejection sooner than previous years. For example, I was told by the CVM that I would receive an acceptance/rejection letter in December, but since admissions are rolling this year, I received mine last Thursday.

When did you send in your supplemental application? and congrats!

for those of you who were also invited to do the supp app - under the Vet Experience section, are we just supposed to update/edit our experiences that are copied from our VMCAS app? the directions aren't very clear (to me, at least). i might give them a call tomorrow to make sure.

for those of you who were also invited to do the supp app - under the Vet Experience section, are we just supposed to update/edit our experiences that are copied from our VMCAS app? the directions aren't very clear (to me, at least). i might give them a call tomorrow to make sure.
My vet/animal experience section was much more detailed on my supplement than it was on my vmcas. I could barely fit it all, and I used the additional section, too!

Info on the early admit pathway:
I applied to vet scholars: http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/dvm-program-admissions/veterinary-scholars-admission-pathway
But there is also the productions scholars early admit pathway:
http://cvm.msu.edu/student-informat...uction-medicine-scholars-admissions-pathway-1

For those of you completing the Michigan supplemental, I wanted some advice. With the character limits, are you writing some of the essays more list style to fit a lot of information in (for example the breadth and depth question) or are you going more in depth on just a couple of things? It is difficult to write an essay that flows well and sells myself as an applicant in only 600 characters.

For those of you completing the Michigan supplemental, I wanted some advice. With the character limits, are you writing some of the essays more list style to fit a lot of information in (for example the breadth and depth question) or are you going more in depth on just a couple of things? It is difficult to write an essay that flows well and sells myself as an applicant in only 600 characters.

I just decided to go with highlighting a few things with "succint" sentences. And on one of the quesetions (I think the first one about socioeconomic hardships) my "short" answer needed a little background so I added it to the "other" section at the bottom.

GOOD LUCK :luck::xf:

Submitted the supplemental about an hour ago. Yay! Fingers crossed:xf:

just submitted! maybe im just paranoid but did anyone else NOT get a confirmation email saying that their supp app had been submitted successfully?

just submitted! maybe im just paranoid but did anyone else NOT get a confirmation email saying that their supp app had been submitted successfully?

I only got a confirmation email that my payment had been accepted...do you think we were supposed to get an application complete email too???:confused:

If you log back into the portal where you completed the supplemental it will show the status of your application and payment, along with the status of your transcript review and any missing science courses.

anyone who submitted a supplemental hear anything back yet?? i turned mine in just about 2 weeks ago (don't they make the decisions every 2 weeks?!)

I submitted my supplement 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. My log in page still shows my transcripts as "received" but not marked "complete" too. After reading about the 2 week decision turnaround I am also worried. I'm hoping it's just that they are backed up with most people submitting the app near Oct 1.

I live on campus and haven't heard about any acceptances for ~3 weeks. I wouldn't depend on the two week turn around, esp. since it was hearsay. I will post if I hear about any acceptances!:luck:

I was so excited when I saw this thread had been updated! I've been fighting with my graduate school this month about why I need to keep my Michigan residency--trying to get across to them that vet school is kind of a big deal.

Also at the CVM Admissions Portal Page my transcripts aren't marked as complete either. I turned my supplemental app in Oct 17th.

I submitted my application on Oct 18th and my transcripts "Are marked as complete" and it shows the deficiencies I have and when they're being taken. Nothing more than that though :/

My supplement was submitted Oct 14. I hope it's not a bad thing that my transcripts are still not marked as complete and the deficiencies listed out. :(

so i got an email from one of the advisors telling me that i'm missing one of my transcripts and so i sent it in and everything, but then i came on here and saw that no one else has received an email regarding missing items..... should i feel special?? is no one else missing items?? am i just thinking too much about it?? i just wanna know if i got in or not alreadyy :scared::eek::confused:

anddd also i talked to admissions and they said that in the past they used to give out supplementals based on SIS score, however this year everyone got a supplemental