CCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new thread. Let's hear some good discussion!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone done the general campus tours for Midwestern? I just got an e-mail from the school about them and was wondering if they are worth doing in regards to my specific interest in the med school. Also do they give the opportunity to meet with advisors during these visits? Any feedback on this would be appreciated because I live five hours from the school and do not want to go if its not worth the drive. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone done the general campus tours for Midwestern? I just got an e-mail from the school about them and was wondering if they are worth doing in regards to my specific interest in the med school. Also do they give the opportunity to meet with advisors during these visits? Any feedback on this would be appreciated because I live five hours from the school and do not want to go if its not worth the drive. Thanks in advance.

i think it is just a generic tour. i am not sure about the chance to talk with admissions counselors after the visit, you shoudl call the admission office and ask what it will entail.

if you are specifically interested in the med school, i highly recommend attending one of the two health career professions days they hold on campus. the first is usually mid october and the second is in mid april.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a link for a list of the core rotation sites for 3rd and 4th year rotations?

thanks mom2three. I will be sending out early june so I doubt that second health professions day will help. oh well, ccom is still one of my top interests so it will be getting an app from me. hopefully i can check it out on interview day

Hey Guys,

I am an applicant for the class of 2015 and found out just today that I got in. I was wondering what you guys had to say about the cost of the school since it's significantly higher than others. I was also wondering if the residency process is made difficult by all the other chicago medical schools that we would have to compete with.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

doingit9,
I did the general campus tour even though I'm from NC. ( I also looked at Loyola and Rosalind Franklin while I was in the area). It really is just a general campus tour...there was only one other pre-med on the tour and then there were some pre-pharm and other people too. I'm glad I did it just because CCOM is my top choice and I wanted something to write about in my secondary. There were 3 tour guides from the admissions office that you could ask questions to, but there wasn't a specific time to meet with an advisor.
Hope that helps!

So does attending their admission tours/events give an applicant a better chance at getting in?

CCOM is my dream DO school because I love the area as I am from Chicago and I know many past graduates from CCOM including the DO I shadow and look up to as a mentor.

Basically, what GPA cum and sci and MCAT is a competitive stats/most likely will get interview??

Thanks RavensGal.

At FuturePharm, attending campus tours/events shows commitment and interest to that school and gives you knowledge which you can convey to them in secondaries and interview. In that sense it gives you a better chance at getting in, in my opinion.

Anyone else pumped to apply here tomorrow?!?!:love: Even though I guess technically its a few more weeks until the school actually gets our apps....

So does attending their admission tours/events give an applicant a better chance at getting in?

CCOM is my dream DO school because I love the area as I am from Chicago and I know many past graduates from CCOM including the DO I shadow and look up to as a mentor.

Basically, what GPA cum and sci and MCAT is a competitive stats/most likely will get interview??

Based on experience, I would say:

Average GPA: 3.4 - 3.6 and above.
Average MCAT: 27 - 29 and above.

But remember that DO schools place quick a bit of emphasis on the interview so make sure you prepare well!

I'm not so inclined on sharing my personal GPA/MCAT scores in public, but if you want to know PM me. ^_^

Hey Guys,

I am an applicant for the class of 2015 and found out just today that I got in. I was wondering what you guys had to say about the cost of the school since it's significantly higher than others. I was also wondering if the residency process is made difficult by all the other chicago medical schools that we would have to compete with.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Tuition is pretty high but in terms of private medical schools it's not too far out of the ball park. A large chunk of that tuition is to maintain rotation contracts that we hold, where we go to a lot of the same places the other med schools go. Rotation sites were at the top of my list when I decided to come to CCOM.

I think residencies in any major metropolitan area will be more competitive, especially those affiliated with academic institutions. In my opinion, it's to your advantage to be able to rotate through some of the places you want to apply for residency in your core rotations or for an elective (without the hassle of setting up housing, etc like you would for away rotations). In the end I think if it's a good program they'll be getting applications from all over and will be choosing the best candidates anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like people got them around June 21. Thats what was posted on last years thread....

Does anybody have any info/knowledge on potential clinical exposure early on in med school at CCOM, such as 1st and 2nd year? There is not much on their website and a search didn't turn up much so hoping somebody on here can enlighten me. Thanks!

so once the secondaries are emailed, can someone post it here please:)

Thank you and good luck to all...it's kind of annoying how everyone receives a secondary because they want to make money and then I heard some people get rejected right away after they submit it due to MCAT/GPA etc.

so once the secondaries are emailed, can someone post it here please:)

Thank you and good luck to all...it's kind of annoying how everyone receives a secondary because they want to make money and then I heard some people get rejected right away after they submit it due to MCAT/GPA etc.

I've been thinking "nature of the beast" quite often lately. Although they shouldn't, they obviously feel justified to do so.

I just want to begin by thanking everyone for their inputs and advice. I've been a long time reader, but I don't post often. CCOM is my top choice school as I grew up around Chicago and would really love to stay here. I wanted to share my stats and hope to get some of your honest opinions.

1st MCAT: 25R (9P, 8V, 8B)
2nd MCAT: 24Q (7P, 8V, 9B)
cGPA: 3.5 and sGPA ~3.2

I took a risk in taking my 2nd MCAT. I remember the PS to be very calculation heavy on the 2nd one and it definitely threw me off. I know it looks pretty bad, I'll make no excuses, and be prepared to discuss it if, God willing, I can get an interview.

I have my BS in Molecular Cellular Biology from UIUC. I've had a few extracurriculars during my undergrad (Karate Club, board position in honors fraternity, etc), 200 hours of volunteering at a free clinic in Chicago, and about a 80 hours of shadowing a DO Physician (who was also a CCOM alum), of whom I have a LOR from as well. I have a summer and a winter's worth of research as a lab techinician. I plan to apply early, hopefully submit primaries before the end of this month, just waiting on a few more LORs. I understand I am an underdog, but I would really appreciate your opinions, advice, critiques; all are welcome. Thanks again and good luck to all of you applicants!

I just want to begin by thanking everyone for their inputs and advice. I've been a long time reader, but I don't post often. CCOM is my top choice school as I grew up around Chicago and would really love to stay here. I wanted to share my stats and hope to get some of your honest opinions.

I took a risk in taking my 2nd MCAT. I remember the PS to be very calculation heavy on the 2nd one and it definitely threw me off. I know it looks pretty bad, I'll make no excuses, and be prepared to discuss it if, God willing, I can get an interview.

I have my BS in Molecular Cellular Biology from UIUC. I've had a few extracurriculars during my undergrad (Karate Club, board position in honors fraternity, etc), 200 hours of volunteering at a free clinic in Chicago, and about a 80 hours of shadowing a DO Physician (who was also a CCOM alum), of whom I have a LOR from as well. I have a summer and a winter's worth of research as a lab techinician. I plan to apply early, hopefully submit primaries before the end of this month, just waiting on a few more LORs. I understand I am an underdog, but I would really appreciate your opinions, advice, critiques; all are welcome. Thanks again and good luck to all of you applicants!

Hi,

I am also applying to mwu for the 2012 cycle. My mcat situtation is kinda similar to yours. I have taken it twice already got a 22Q my first time (9 BS, 9 PS, 4 VR :() then the second time I got a 24O (8 BS, 10 PS, 6 VR). Its my stupid verbal score thats throwing my score off. I am studying it for again. Have you thought about taking it again? I am studying it for a third time, focusing mainly on my verbal. However, My science and overall GPA is a 3.7 and a 3.76, respectively. I know mwu takes ur best set of scores anyways.

Hi,

I am also applying to mwu for the 2012 cycle. My mcat situtation is kinda similar to yours. I have taken it twice already got a 22Q my first time (9 BS, 9 PS, 4 VR :() then the second time I got a 24O (8 BS, 10 PS, 6 VR). Its my stupid verbal score thats throwing my score off. I am studying it for again. Have you thought about taking it again? I am studying it for a third time, focusing mainly on my verbal. However, My science and overall GPA is a 3.7 and a 3.76, respectively. I know mwu takes ur best set of scores anyways.

Hey Koala! It's good to hear I'm not alone. I'm not sure about studying again a third time until I find out where I stand after this application cycle. I actually just found out my 2nd score today, so I guess I hadn't had all that much time to think, haha. I think it's good that you showed improvement on your second attempt though! Yeah, VR is tough, I was getting 10-11 on practice tests, so I guess VR can be unpredictable. When were you planning on taking it a 3rd time? Also, where are you from?

Hey Koala! It's good to hear I'm not alone. I'm not sure about studying again a third time until I find out where I stand after this application cycle. I actually just found out my 2nd score today, so I guess I hadn't had all that much time to think, haha. I think it's good that you showed improvement on your second attempt though! Yeah, VR is tough, I was getting 10-11 on practice tests, so I guess VR can be unpredictable. When were you planning on taking it a 3rd time? Also, where are you from?

I am thinking late august, early sept. My primaries are already turned in and my letters are already set, and i intend to start supps as soon as i start getting them, so the only thing they would be waiting for is my new score. yeah, i hope they dont deny me an interview just cuz of my verbal. I am from Chicago, graduated from Benedictine University in lisle in Biology

I am thinking late august, early sept. My primaries are already turned in and my letters are already set, and i intend to start supps as soon as i start getting them, so the only thing they would be waiting for is my new score. yeah, i hope they dont deny me an interview just cuz of my verbal. I am from Chicago, graduated from Benedictine University in lisle in Biology

Best of luck to you on the 3rd MCAT. Your GPAs sound more than solid for CCOM to me and from what I've heard others say. Can I get your opinion on taking a 3rd with my scores? I've already taken all the AAMC practice tests and Gold Standard tests and I feel like i've pretty much run out of VR passages to practice (I've done all EK's and Kaplan's) and I don't want to pay for TPR just to get some of their practice materials. Any suggestions?

Best of luck to you on the 3rd MCAT. Your GPAs sound more than solid for CCOM to me and from what I've heard others say. Can I get your opinion on taking a 3rd with my scores? I've already taken all the AAMC practice tests and Gold Standard tests and I feel like i've pretty much run out of VR passages to practice (I've done all EK's and Kaplan's) and I don't want to pay for TPR just to get some of their practice materials. Any suggestions?

Look for LSAT reading comprehension passages....not exactly the same, but might help. Also, you could read literature criticism and metaphysics books if you have time

I've heard in recent years, CCOM's GPA and MCAT average has risen significantly and they don't even offer interviews to people below 26?? I asked the admissions department counselor and he said that's kind of true but then quickly reworded his answer to it depends on a case by case basis and if an applicant's overall application impresses us, then he/she may get an interview??

Is this true? What's the consensus from last year? Did anyone below a 26 get in?

Fellow UIUC alumi! It is true that 24 MCAT and 3.2 sGPA is a bit low for CCOM. It is hard to get an interivew due to the fact that all DO schools have a cutoff. For CCOM, I believe it is 24 MCAT and 3.25 sGPA and 3.35 cGPA. Now this certainly does not mean you cannot get in. I don't know the details of your EC and your LOR, so I can't tell you much. Apply early and write good personal essays. Many people overlook their personal statement and their secondaries. DO NOT DO THAT.

Look for LSAT reading comprehension passages....not exactly the same, but might help. Also, you could read literature criticism and metaphysics books if you have time

I actually used the LSAT reading section for my MCAT, but it didn't do too much for me. The LSAT and MCAT reading section tests different areas of expertise.
MCAT: Extrapolation and critical analysis.
LSAT: Derivation and formulation.

Unless you completely run out of material (highly unlikely), stick with your MCAT reading sections.

Final note, I see that a lot of you guys are taking the MCAT for the third time. While there isn't a limit to how many times an applicant can take the MCAT, majority of the schools will look at the first three times, unless your final score is way beyond your normal SD. So trend carefully when it is your third time around.

I am in the class of 2015, so I can only answer questions regarding the entrance process. If you guys have detailed questions regarding anything, just PM me.

@MythicDawn, thanks for the reply and congrats on admission! I sent you a msg for some follow up questions.

so did anyone get a secondary yet??? I don't think they sent it out already because AACOMAS JUST sent it on the 21st...but I know some schools are ASAP, when was it last year?

I interviewed at CCOM back in March and was put on the alternate list. Does anyone know how many are on the alternate list and of that number how many actually get taken off? My MCAT score is low.... 25L, but my cGPA is 3.83 and sGPA somewhere close to 3.75.

I interviewed at CCOM back in March and was put on the alternate list. Does anyone know how many are on the alternate list and of that number how many actually get taken off? My MCAT score is low.... 25L, but my cGPA is 3.83 and sGPA somewhere close to 3.75.

From facebook and SDN, I would estimate around 10 people got taken off the alt list so far. I believe they can take people off the alt list until the first day of class.

SY2017, I had exchanged a few emails with a current student at CCOM about a year ago. They showed me a list of the rotations sites and was as follows.

Advocate Bethany Hospital
Advocate Christ Medical Center
Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital
Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital-----Where I was born, OB/Gyne rotation?:xf:
Advocate Trinity Hospital
Alexian Brothers Medical Center
Holy Cross Hospital
John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County------Trauma anyone?
Little Company of Mary Hospital
Loyola University Medical Center
MacNeal Memorial Hospital
Michael Reese Hospital
Northwest Community Hospital-----You can hit the racetrack after your shift
Provena St. Joseph Hospital(Elgin)---------Took my EMT class here
Provident Hospital
Resurrection Medical Center------Used to work for Resurrection
Sherman Hospital------------Work in their system b/c we go there for my Fire Dept
St. Alexius Medical Center
St. Bernard Hospital
St. Francis Hospital
St. James Hospital/ Chicago Heights
St. James Hospital/ Olympia Fields--A LOT of CCOM associated residencies here
St. Margaret Mercy-North(Indiana)
St. Margaret Mercy-South(Indiana)
Swedish Covenant Hospital
Thorek Hospital
Proena St. Joseph Hospital(Joliet)
Riverside Medical Center

CCOM is also my #1 choice( if you cant tell). I take my MCAT in August and plan on applying next year. Good luck to everyone here this round. Hope this helps!

SY2017, I had exchanged a few emails with a current student at CCOM about a year ago. They showed me a list of the rotations sites and was as follows.

Advocate Bethany Hospital
Advocate Christ Medical Center
Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital
Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital-----Where I was born, OB/Gyne rotation?:xf:
Advocate Trinity Hospital
Alexian Brothers Medical Center
Holy Cross Hospital
John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County------Trauma anyone?
Little Company of Mary Hospital
Loyola University Medical Center
MacNeal Memorial Hospital
Michael Reese Hospital
Northwest Community Hospital-----You can hit the racetrack after your shift
Provena St. Joseph Hospital(Elgin)---------Took my EMT class here
Provident Hospital
Resurrection Medical Center------Used to work for Resurrection
Sherman Hospital------------Work in their system b/c we go there for my Fire Dept
St. Alexius Medical Center
St. Bernard Hospital
St. Francis Hospital
St. James Hospital/ Chicago Heights
St. James Hospital/ Olympia Fields--A LOT of CCOM associated residencies here
St. Margaret Mercy-North(Indiana)
St. Margaret Mercy-South(Indiana)
Swedish Covenant Hospital
Thorek Hospital
Proena St. Joseph Hospital(Joliet)
Riverside Medical Center

CCOM is also my #1 choice( if you cant tell). I take my MCAT in August and plan on applying next year. Good luck to everyone here this round. Hope this helps!
Thank You and Good Luck.

thanks for this, as the counselor said you can only see rotation list once you get accepted??

CCOM is very traditional when I visited the campus in my opinion and didn't have much research facilities?

FuturePharm, I have no idea about the whole after being accepted thing. If so, my bad

PolarBear, Cook County changed its name to Stroger ( well John, H Stroger Hospital of Cook County)

Just received the secondary for CCOM. Checking now on essays.

Just received the secondary for CCOM. Checking now on essays.

Essays are..

1. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

2. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?

Looks similar to last year. Good luck guys!

Both questions have a 1500 character limit. :)

Good luck everyone! :luck:

I just got an email from ccom with instructions to fill out the secondary application. One of the essay question is asking why I should be accepted to ccom next year. I'm going blank here, what should I talk about? what are some reasons why i want to be accepted? Do I have to be specific to ccom or should it be general?

If anyone can help with this I would really appreciate it

I just got an email from ccom with instructions to fill out the secondary application. One of the essay question is asking why I should be accepted to ccom next year. I'm going blank here, what should I talk about? what are some reasons why i want to be accepted? Do I have to be specific to ccom or should it be general?

They want to know why they should accept you. Tell them why you are awesome. That's all they want to know.

Well, do you want to be accepted? :confused:

Anyone know whether or not submitting more than two letters is a bad idea? I'm submitting individual, not committee.

Yes, you should be specific about acceptance to CCOM because this is the secondary for CCOM. Tell them your strengths (what you can bring to your fellow classmates, your patients, and the school), your motivations (specifically why you are motivated to practice and go to school in chicago) and therefore why you are a good fit for this school.

Sent in my secondary and letters of recommendation today!

Do you know when interviews start?

No one can answer this question for you... and it is a very common one, might even show up on your future interviews! it kind of goes together with "why do you want to be a doctor" , don't write what others tell you to, make it unique and genuine

you have to genuinely want to go to CCOM as I do...I can fill up 5 pages of reasons why I specifically want to go here...I visited the campus, it's close to home etc....

but I haven't even been verified yet...:/

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Last edited:
thanks for this, as the counselor said you can only see rotation list once you get accepted??

CCOM is very traditional when I visited the campus in my opinion and didn't have much research facilities?

the traditional campus tour woudl not have taken you through the research facilities. every professor on campus has a research lab. the new builing which is housing the dental school is also the new basic science research building. there are a ton of individual labs, they will for the most part be in the new dental building come next month :)

Anyone know whether or not submitting more than two letters is a bad idea? I'm submitting individual, not committee.

i had 5 lors the year i got in.
just make sure they are all solid!!!

you need to state why you want to go there, why ccom over someplace else. what traits you bring that would add to the class, that fit with the philosophy. why you want to go here over every place else.
it is really a question that only you can answer for yourself :)

Yes, I did see the new Science building, but I haven't even been verified yet and my heart is beating fast when all these students already submitted their secondaries!?

I'm not getting an interview in September...:S

I really want to go to CCOM. It's like the only school I want to go to since my high school tour. Then I went on a tour last week, and it's close to my home, which is the main reason. The tuition is expensive though.

All I can do is pray for be the best and be patient.

I have a 25 O (9, 8, 8) and 25 Q ( 7, 8, 10) after taking the mcat twice. Will CCOM look at my best score in each subject or just the best score overall?

Also, my primary application was complete and processing on June 27th, any idea how long it will take to verify and release at this point?