The Plan "B" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonkeyResrcher

Animal Behavior Lover
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.... it's been a week since deadline day (minus supplementasl) and I feel like I should be preparing for the worst since I have diverse experience but not the best GPA/GRE which will kill my application.

I am already thinking of how to prove I am vet-worthy and raise GPA without taking on a master's just for the sake of it without having a passion for the work. I am looking into internships and trying to find other related experiences. I was wondering what is everyone's plan B?

ssen31l.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Plan B: diversify experience by volunteering at the local wildlife place (they only train new volunteers in the spring, so I can't do this until then), riding along with a LA vet. Maybe I'd take a couple of undergrad level -ology classes. My GRE scores are solid, my letters should be good.

But it's much too early to be thinking about this edited to add Obviously I've given some thought to what I'll do if I don't get in this cycle, but for the moment I'm doing what I'm doing and thinking positively. If I don't have good news by the end of January, I'll start putting Plan B into effect.

Last edited:
My advice... don't wait for decisions to start improving your app. At that point you are only a few months away from the next application and it's often too late to do much to improve it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question! My grades are also low, so the only way I can fix that is by taking more classes. Hoping to get good grades this year and then if I don't get in maybe do a non-thesis masters somewhere? maybe work on getting in state residency? I'll probably continue to get experience in different areas, but bringing up my grades is my main focus because my experience is already pretty good. No matter what, I've gotta get out of this small town! lol

I'm in a similar boat.. low grades/GRE.

I'm applying for a $10,000 grant to do a service project of my choice over a 12 month span... if I end up choosing to do a project in the states, I'll probably retake the GRE too. Also looking into an internship at a specialty hospital in NYC.

First thing: move out of my parent's house! At this point, I can handle 9 more months, especially knowing it's saving me a lot of money and there is a definite move-out point. 21 more months though, nope, not going to happen.

There's nothing I can do about my GPA really at this point--one or two classes won't change it enough and I don't think it will be the sticking point, and my GRE score won't be anyone's reason for saying no for me, so it's definitely going to be just keep working and volunteering the same places I have been and trying to find some extra days to get some large animal vet shadowing, probably starting early Spring, for a bit more diversity of experience. And then trying to do as much as can based off of file review suggestions once those happen.

I've thought about it only a little bit, but if I don't get in this year, I'm thinking about either studying abroad for a semester or year or starting a graduate program. I may apply to some PhD programs in addition to the veterinary schools where I applied (and then apply to veterinary school after finishing the PhD). I am thinking positive, so I think I will get into veterinary school this year. :D

This year, I am working on earning more veterinary and research experience even though my application is in. That was a mistake I made last year, but I was still able to get a decent amount of experience this past summer.

I'm mostly just trying to keep getting experience. I'm also keeping in touch with the people who wrote me LORs this cycle in case I want to ask them for letters next cycle, and I'm trying to meet people at Davis vet school (I am lucky enough to be living in Davis this year...although having just moved, I am unlucky enough to not have any connections for getting into clinics to shadow/volunteer. I'm going to be dropping off resumes at a bunch of clinics tomorrow).

I'm seriously considering re-taking classes next year that will have expired on my application. My average for the 20 required courses is about 1.3 points too low. It won't take a lot to raise that. I am so close to an interview.

Before I do that, I am going to make a doctor's appointment (hopefully soon). I am getting sick and tired of being tired all of the time and not being able to read a simple passage an retain the information. That doesn't sound normal to me. If I have to be on medication to help it, so be it. Last time I took classes, I was falling asleep after a full nights rest if I had no coffee and I would doze off when I'd sit down to study. I've also developed the habit of not being able to sit still when I study. That won't cut it in vet school.

My plans if I don't make it this cycle:
-Get a job for $$$
-Get more vet experience: potentially food animal/research/ambulatory large animal...something I haven't done yet
-Take Animal Nutrition so I can apply to Auburn next cycle
-Not apply to Cornell again
-Probably not apply to Penn again

So is it bad that the irrational part of my brain thinks if I post here, I'm definitely going to get bad news? Oh well. If I don't get in, I'm going to work for another year. Luckily I work at a mixed animal clinic and as a horseback riding instructor, so that will add more vet and animal hours to my application. I might try to get some experience with food animal too because that's the one area I don't have experience in.

I am a second time applicant...so I have already put thought into this. I actually even enrolled in a masters program for a semester and then never signed up for this semester. I did well, but my heart was not in it. My GRE is above average, and my GPA is a 3.73...I spent A LOT more time on vmcas this year, really presented myself better and improved my GRE from the last time so that was my "plan B" from last year. I didnt really DO anything that different than spend tons more time on the application and apply to more schools (well, two more only). If I do not get in this year I will probably start looking at international veterinary schools (I was torn between applying to some this year) and some PhD programs if I could find any that I REALLY felt good about..along with simply applying again to state schools. Last year I had just started a new job, moved to a new city so not getting was not the crisis I think it might be this year...I am realizing that every year I DONT get in is another year of my life that I havent started my actual "career yet"...

UMy plan B from last cycle was to work and earn money, which I am doing. I wanted to work in a clinic or a lab because both would look good on my application... but now I am working in a chem lab.

I toyed with doing a Masters. I'd know I would like it. But my grades would not count for vet school and job prospects are bleak. I was told it wouldn't be difficult to get a related job with a BSc, but they are wrong. I don't want to risk getting a Masters and winding up in the same situation.

On the plus side... I can still do a Masters and slowly retake my expiring courses, but I don't know. The profs that have been recommended are located pretty far away.

As of next year, I am going to see if any local universities offer gen chem I and II next summer or both in the fall. Those are two of my lowest marks that I need to upgrade. I also have to take 2 courses in the summer or a minimum of 3 in the fall for it to count. So it becomes a bit of a clusterf*** to get those 2 expired courses in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have experience with gaining residence in a state with a vet school to increase chance of admittance?

It's been on my mind but also if I don't get accepted this time around I am definitely looking to move out and try and establish myself with a full time job someplace. Goal is to get a full time job to make some money and then work on getting more experience and taking a few more classes.

But fingers crossed for this time around! :xf:

UMy plan B from last cycle was to work and earn money, which I am doing. I wanted to work in a clinic or a lab because both would look good on my application... but now I am working in a chem lab.

I toyed with doing a Masters. I'd know I would like it. But my grades would not count for vet school and job prospects are bleak. I was told it wouldn't be difficult to get a related job with a BSc, but they are wrong. I don't want to risk getting a Masters and winding up in the same situation.

On the plus side... I can still do a Masters and slowly retake my expiring courses, but I don't know. The profs that have been recommended are located pretty far away.

As of next year, I am going to see if any local universities offer gen chem I and II next summer or both in the fall. Those are two of my lowest marks that I need to upgrade. I also have to take 2 courses in the summer or a minimum of 3 in the fall for it to count. So it becomes a bit of a clusterf*** to get those 2 expired courses in.
Why do you think your grads for a masters would not count for vet school....last 45 are last 45. Also consider subing a higher level of general chem for your lower level. I believe the general consensus is schools would rather see you sub a higher level class for a lower level class then re take the lower level.

Why do you think your grads for a masters would not count for vet school....last 45 are last 45. Also consider subing a higher level of general chem for your lower level. I believe the general consensus is schools would rather see you sub a higher level class for a lower level class then re take the lower level.

She's in Canada. Things are different/ weird there...

I was a 3 time applicant and did a mixture of the following to improve my application between cycles.

Finished pre reqs as strongly as I could - I have a C in Ochem but what can you do - I took it during the summer and it kicked my a** - retook it and got a B.

Continued working and gaining experience and building relationships for my eLORs - worked in small animals practice as an assistant and worked as horse handler at a therapeutic riding facility

After second cycle - began a Masters program - Non-thesis Pre Professional Biology - best thing I ever did - I really didn't want to do it because it wasn't where my heart was and I put it off a year - but eventually realized it was the best choice and did it. I am WAY more prepared than I ever could have imagined for my current curriculum as a vet student - and it was a program that was setting me up for a solid Plan B if I didn't get in - meaning - I could get a decent job with that degree if vet school hadn't worked out.

While in school - I worked, volunteered, spent time with family, kept up with hobbies, kept my life diverse. If you have a lower GPA (like me - I have ~3.0) they want to see that you are going to come into a DVM program and be academically successful - so I proved that not only could I get solid grades (A's and B's - mostly B's hence the lower GPA) in a grad program - but I could be a member of my community through volunteering and working. I had to prove I could handle the work load and the stress.

Look at your application in terms of what it says about you as a person - not just your stats - how does it prove that you are going to be an asset to their DVM program? What makes you stand out above all the rest?

Good grades dosen't = good vet or even good vet student

So my best recommendation is diversify and do strong work in whatever you chose to do. They want to know you will come in here and be successful - they want to set you up for success.

Also - I was asked what my Plan B was during my interview - having a solid plan that isn't just "apply again" shows you have taken initiative and control of your future. For me - I had plans in the works to do an internship with a company that does stem cell research with companion animals in hopes of putting my Master's degree to work - while also preparing my application for the following year.

Preparing for Plan B does not admit defeat - its realistic and a good idea - Hang in there! Once you get your interview invite and then your acceptance call - it will make all the worrying, planning, stressing totally worth it!!

Good luck everyone!!!

I too had diverse experience and not the best GPA to make me competitive last year. So after that admission cycle, I ended up applying to a I ended up applying to (and now attending) a Professional Mater's Program as my Plan B. It does not require me to do research and I can take classes to prove that I can handle the Graduate/"Upper Level" Classes/Work. This also will allow for me to make friends with my Professors and get a letter of recommendation from academia :)

I decided not to apply this cycle, so I could a Graduate GPA established. Plus, I have to retake the GRE and I was not where near ready to take it time for applications.

Second time applicant here too. I'm already doing my Plan B thing of working at an animal hospital, after having spend a good deal of time improving my app in the past year. If I don't get in this time around, I might explode. The money I spent this time around is killer. :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf: I hope this is my last time doing this application business. My GPA is a tad low (3.48), but I'm 77% GRE and I have great experience.. So here's hoping!

If I don't get in, I'm going to probably continue working at a vet clinic of some variety, get more LA experience (... i mean any. I have 0 hours of LA vet experience). I'll definitely move because I am sick sick sick of living in Illino-where. I'll probably play it smart and go from the feedback I get this time around to decide where to apply next year. The Master's thing is not for me, so work is where its at.

But I was waitlisted at KSU last time with only 200 hours vet experience and worse grades, so I'm feeling good about this cycle.

:luck::xf: good luck everyone!

I'm already on plan B. (MS in Biochem)

What I'm wondering is: what's plan C?

She's in Canada. Things are different/ weird there...

Yup.
If there is an equivalent undergrad course, they will not count it.

I know an applicant who took a course-base Masters program in Animal Behaviour and Welfare (course-based Masters are not common... and you will not get funding like in a thesis-based program). She got a TON of awesome research experience. No interview because her undergrad GPA was below the cut-off for her place of residence (funny, if she jumped provinces she'd have an interview)

Seems pretty backwards. I think they hate plan Bs and just want the pre-vet gunners haha.

Since I am so close to an interview anyway, I think I want to give it another shot.

-Start Graduate classes in January! (Non-thesis)
-Graduate research with stem cells (continuation of my current projects).
-Keep working at my mixed practice clinic.

By the time I find out if I'm in or not I will have improved my GPA (which is my weak spot) and gotten lots more hours of experience. Plus it will be fun! :love:

My advice... don't wait for decisions to start improving your app. At that point you are only a few months away from the next application and it's often too late to do much to improve it.

Emiloo is so right. Obviously, we don't hope you get rejected, but if you do - you want to have already put October, November, December, and January to good use.

If it were me I'd use the time to get vet experience, because that's a no-lose proposition: if you don't get in, you've improved your application for next year. If you do get in, you have that much more experience and networking in the field on your way into school.

I personally wouldn't go about trying to improve a GPA unless it's really on the low end (like barely meeting the minimum required at whatever school(s) you applied to). Since it's hard to improve a GPA by much, I think you get more bang for your buck by gaining experience.

P.S. I totally thought this thread was going to be about ... something else.

Yup.
If there is an equivalent undergrad course, they will not count it.

I know an applicant who took a course-base Masters program in Animal Behaviour and Welfare (course-based Masters are not common... and you will not get funding like in a thesis-based program). She got a TON of awesome research experience. No interview because her undergrad GPA was below the cut-off for her place of residence (funny, if she jumped provinces she'd have an interview)

Seems pretty backwards. I think they hate plan Bs and just want the pre-vet gunners haha.

Since I am so close to an interview anyway, I think I want to give it another shot.
Thanks......made the stupid assumption Location of East Coast meant East Coast USA. Good Luck!!!

I personally wouldn't go about trying to improve a GPA unless it's really on the low end (like barely meeting the minimum required at whatever school(s) you applied to). Since it's hard to improve a GPA by much, I think you get more bang for your buck by gaining experience.

P.S. I totally thought this thread was going to be about ... something else.
My GPA wasn't too bad last year, but it has taken a huge jump upward in the past year, so I somewhat disagree. Then again, I have friends that will probably not be able to raise their GPA by much. It really depends on the situation.

And when I first saw this thread, I first thought of something else too. :rolleyes:

Chances are you already know what your weakness are so definitely try to improve (just in case!). I'm a second time applicant and knew I was weak on experience, so I started applying for jobs before I graduated just in case. If you already know your grades and GRE scores were low, try to finish out this year really strong to try and raise your GPA and start studying for GRE again. Drexel has a vet post-bac program so that's an option if you don't wanna do a masters. They have something like a 96% acceptance rate to vet school for their kids. You can also sign up for a class or two at a college near you, embryology, cell biology and histology were recommended to me.

For me personally, my plan B is to go international if I don't get in again. Most Caribbean schools don't have deadlines until July so I wouldn't have to wait a year.

Well.. I'm technically a second time applicant, but my first time I freaked out, went through a serious depression and withdrew my application before interviews. *facepalm*

At any rate, if I don't get in this cycle, my plan is to retake biochem. (I was taking it during my depression and ended up with a C in it because I quit caring.) Beg my way into a job at a vet hospital here or in the surrounding area.. it's dang near impossible to get a job with one here.. keep working and, for the love of Dog, move out of my parents house.

I'm hoping to take a bunch of ANS classes in the spring, so that will help solidify my determination. My grades/gpa are good - even though I screwed up in biochem, I still bumped my gpa by 0.02 because of my other classes. I have so many hours, though, attempting to raise my gpa would be pointless.

Reapply and cross my fingers, I reckon. :)