This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does the opening of Touro make you worry about the future of dentistry?

• It most definitely does. How could it not?

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • Maybe a little bit

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • No, because we need more dentists

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Definitely not, everybody and their mother deserves a chance to be accepted to dental school

Votes: 44 23.9%

• Total voters
True, so it's the same as Touro. I think this is a new trend (OChem 1+ Biochem, no OChem 2) and more and more schools will be moving towards it. MWU-AZ doesn't require OChem II either.

Source: https://www.midwestern.edu/programs...l_medicine/admission/apply.html#prerequisites
Touro doesn't require biochemistry. You can choose to either take ochem II lecture or biochem lecture to fulfill the same requirement.
Yeah I guess this is the new thing.
I found it strange because most of the schools I applied to required Ochem I&II with labs. Biochem, 14 credit hours in bio, Microbiology, Statistics. Some required A&P and cell Bio as well.
So when I saw Touro's requirements it was kinda shocking.

Members don't see this ad.

Touro doesn't require biochemistry. You can choose to either take ochem II lecture or biochem lecture to fulfill the same requirement.

My bad- that's what I meant.

The common factor is all require OChem I.
Tufts and MWU-AZ require BioChem and do not require OChem II.
Touro gives you an option: OChem II or BioChem. You're either taking OChemII or BioChem, but you must take one.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely used biochem in dental school. O-Chem is good only in that it is a prereq for biochem.

The number of times I have had to use O-chem since my first year of dental school (not including boards exams and the like) is a big fat ZERO.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely used biochem in dental school. O-Chem is good only in that it is a prereq for biochem.

The number of times I have had to use O-chem since my first year of dental school (not including boards exams and the like) is a big fat ZERO.
well yea, you are a dentist its not like your going into pharmacology.

Dude chill the **** out. Why the hell are you so concerned about his stats? Stop, just stop trying to publicly humiliate tooth knockn. Having a better GPA/DAT score does not give you the right to look down upon those pursuing their dreams to be a dentist, and having better grades doesn't necessarily make one a more successful dentist.

Nobody is concerned about them. They are relevant to his defense of Touro. Maybe you should pay more attention to the context of the thread rather than trying to white knight for someone that can't get into dental school.

Nobody is concerned about them. They are relevant to his defense of Touro. Maybe you should pay more attention to the context of the thread rather than trying to white knight for someone that can't get into dental school.
You seem incredibly concerned. Maybe you should pay more attention to the context of this thread rather than try to humiliate someone publicly. I have my own opinions on toothknockn and some of his postings, but I'll give the guy some credit, he knows what he wants and has perseverence. No need for you to concern yourself with him. If he doesn't have what it takes to be a dentist, he won't make it through school. If he does have what it takes, than that means it's good enough for CODA, it's good enough for the State of New York, and should be good enough for PlasmaMembrane.
Quit harassing the dude and I really think that this whole "Touro is the death of dentistry" mentality is ridiculous. If it is going to pump out poorly trained dentists, than saturation shouldn't be an issue because everyone else will look like a rock star. If it turns out to train competent and capable dentists, then it's not really the school itself that people should be upset with.

You seem incredibly concerned. Maybe you should pay more attention to the context of this thread rather than try to humiliate someone publicly. I have my own opinions on toothknockn and some of his postings, but I'll give the guy some credit, he knows what he wants and has perseverence. No need for you to concern yourself with him. If he doesn't have what it takes to be a dentist, he won't make it through school. If he does have what it takes, than that means it's good enough for CODA, it's good enough for the State of New York, and should be good enough for PlasmaMembrane.
Quit harassing the dude and I really think that this whole "Touro is the death of dentistry" mentality is ridiculous. If it is going to pump out poorly trained dentists, than saturation shouldn't be an issue because everyone else will look like a rock star. If it turns out to train competent and capable dentists, then it's not really the school itself that people should be upset with.

I am sorry you are unable to distinguish between concern and replying to statements in an internet forum. Like tooth knockn, you seem invested in Touro being taken seriously as a dental school. Whether he knows what he wants doesn't change the fact that he's unqualified for it and is only defending Touro because it represents a faint opportunity for applicants like himself.

If it is going to pump out poorly trained dentists, than saturation shouldn't be an issue because everyone else will look like a rock star. If it turns out to train competent and capable dentists, then it's not really the school itself that people should be upset with.

Please learn how saturation works. Seriously.

I am sorry you are unable to distinguish between concern and replying to statements in an internet forum. Like tooth knockn, you seem invested in Touro being taken seriously as a dental school. Whether he knows what he wants doesn't change the fact that he's unqualified for it and is only defending Touro because it represents a faint opportunity for applicants like himself.

Please learn how saturation works. Seriously.
Lol, ok dude. I'm pretty sure I understand how saturation works.
Maybe you should work on your people skills. If you plan on being this condescending to your patients, you are in for a very difficult career in dentistry, regardless of where you go to school. Seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Back on topic please.
You're right, I apologize.

Touro does not make me nervous. Would this sort of uproar take place if Stanford, Princeton, or Yale decided to open up dental schools? They would be contributing to "saturation" just as much.

There are definitely legitimate points about saturation as it relates to the quality and caliber of applicants, and I find it troubling that the dental field is trying to let more dentists in at lower standards than keep them out. While grades and standardized test scores certainly aren't everything, the ADA (and other professional industries, mind you) hasn't devised a better system to evaluate applicants on their clinical reasoning skills, treatment planning, rational decision making, communication, and clinic leadership as a pre-dental student - that's a whole other debate.

The opening of newer schools wouldn't be an issue if the admission standards were high across the board. This is actually a legitimate issue for all schools across the nation, and in the way we evaluate students and their performance in undergraduate institutions. The reality is that grades are not standardized college-to-college (they should) with professors implementing different ranges (they aren't forced to through the ADA) with some colleges being definitely harder than others (admissions don't care one lick, another disconcerting fact). A bottom 250-300 accredited four-year institution, that isn't even well-known in your state, is given the same statistical value (just because they're accredited) as a highly technical, global institution (JHU, MIT, Vandy, Duke, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Stanford) that undeniably deflates your grades. That's a major issue in of itself.

The other points above about Stanford, Yale, or Princeton opening dental schools is irrelevant - paying $90k at Stanford for dental school is, without question, more valuable than one at Touro. Or at the least, it should be. We should be holding the profession in a sacred manner and tie its education to the best colleges available. Those universities listed above have established rich, global-brand traditions in education and would almost certainly have the highest standards for admission, since they already do that in a brutally competitive fashion at the undergraduate level. I have never heard of Touro until a few months ago, and to me, the dental school brand tied to established universities does matter in the long run if you hope to keep the quality of dentistry at its highest. We shouldn't be undermining that value just to pump out some more dentists.

Just remember that dentistry is an art form profession mixed with clinical service that should (1) require the best applicants with a competitively holistic profile and (2) vehemently reject the assembly line mindset found in other profession. It should be tied to top 50 college brands and none more. Otherwise, you do fall into the trap of creating more smaller schools akin to other professions that generate degrees just for the sake of degrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There are definitely legitimate points about saturation as it relates to the quality and caliber of applicants, and I find it troubling that the dental field is trying to let more dentists in at lower standards than keep them out. While grades and standardized test scores certainly aren't everything, the ADA (and other professional industries, mind you) hasn't devised a better system to evaluate applicants on their clinical reasoning skills, treatment planning, rational decision making, communication, and clinic leadership as a pre-dental student - that's a whole other debate.

The opening of newer schools wouldn't be an issue if the admission standards were high across the board. This is actually a legitimate issue for all schools across the nation, and in the way we evaluate students and their performance in undergraduate institutions. The reality is that grades are not standardized college-to-college (they should) with professors implementing different ranges (they aren't forced to through the ADA) with some colleges being definitely harder than others (admissions don't care one lick, another disconcerting fact).

The other points above about Stanford, Yale, or Princeton opening dental schools is irrelevant - paying $90k at Stanford for dental school is, without question, more valuable than one at Touro. Or at the least, it should be. We should be holding the profession in a sacred manner and tie its education to the best colleges available. Those universities listed above have established rich, global-brand traditions in education and would almost certainly have the highest standards for admission, since they already do that in a brutally competitive fashion at the undergraduate level. I have never heard of Touro until a few months ago, and to me, the dental school brand tied to established universities does matter in the long run if you hope to keep the quality of dentistry at its highest. We shouldn't be undermining that value just to pump out some more dentists.

Just remember that dentistry is an art form profession mixed with clinical service that should (1) require the best applicants with a competitively holistic profile and (2) vehemently reject the assembly line mindset found in other profession. It should be tied to top 50 college brands and none more. Otherwise, you do fall into the trap of creating more smaller schools akin to other professions that generate degrees just for the sake of degrees.

I strongly agree with every point you made. We don't want schools to start producing dentists like factories producing oreos now.

The opening of newer schools wouldn't be an issue if the admission standards were high across the board. This is actually a legitimate issue for all schools across the nation, and in the way we evaluate students and their performance in undergraduate institutions. The reality is that grades are not standardized college-to-college (they should) with professors implementing different ranges (they aren't forced to through the ADA) with some colleges being definitely harder than others (admissions don't care one lick, another disconcerting fact).

Good post with valid points, but I respectfully disagree on your take on Ivies. Their names do have a rich tradition of quality education. However, when it comes to dental school, it's a wash because there is zero evidence to support one would be better than the other, it is purely speculatory. Name means nothing if there is no evidence that they are the best at preparing future dentists. Last I checked, Nebraska's medical program is stronger than Harvard's, but if they both opened up dental schools in the fall, does that mean that Nebraska will have a better dental program as well? It is very easy to scapegoat touro as bad, but until there is evidence to suggest that they are a bottom-tier DENTAL school based on the performance of their graduates, then the comments on the school hold no value. I can run up and down the streets all day long and say Touro produces the best dentists, but people will look at me like I'm nuts because there is no proof. The same can be said for the opposite end of the spectrum.

Good post with valid points, but I respectfully disagree on your take on Ivies. Their names do have a rich tradition of quality education. However, when it comes to dental school, it's a wash because there is zero evidence to support one would be better than the other, it is purely speculatory. Name means nothing if there is no evidence that they are the best at preparing future dentists. Last I checked, Nebraska's medical program is stronger than Harvard's, but if they both opened up dental schools in the fall, does that mean that Nebraska will have a better dental program as well? It is very easy to scapegoat touro as bad, but until there is evidence to suggest that they are a bottom-tier DENTAL school based on the performance of their graduates, then the comments on the school hold no value. I can run up and down the streets all day long and say Touro produces the best dentists, but people will look at me like I'm nuts because there is no proof. The same can be said for the opposite end of the spectrum.

Nebraska is a reputable, well-received brand across the nation. I have nothing against starting a dental school there. I simply quoted the ones above.

Also, I know this is a big can of worms I'm opening, but when you speak of admissions standards being high across the board, does that include Howard and Meharry? Historically, their average statistics for enrollees are lower than almost every other school. So would Touro be considered better, worse, or on the same level as these two schools?

Nebraska is a reputable, well-received brand across the nation. I have nothing against starting a dental school there. I simply quoted the ones above.
Right, but in comparing Nebraska which is number 1 in the medical field, to another hypothetical dental school opening up, how can you quantify which one is better? Also, wouldn't Nebraska or Stanford or any of the others mentioned opening up a school just further contribute to saturation? There is no evidence supporting the quality of Touro dental, so one cannot automatically label it as a crap dental school.

Also, I know this is a big can of worms I'm opening, but when you speak of admissions standards being high across the board, does that include Howard and Meharry? Historically, their average statistics for enrollees are lower than almost every other school. So would Touro be considered better, worse, or on the same level as these two schools?

Most people realistically fall on either side of this spectrum. Those that typically push for diversity are those that benefited from diversity; others are labeled as bitter just because they don't agree with the initiative, when in fact you simply may view the career differently. I firmly believe initiatives from Howard and Meharry, in their argument to "increase diversity" in the dental industry, have paved the way for new openings of schools like Touro (which are not established brands, again) and led to the assembly-line mentality of pumping out dentists who did not adhere to similar qualifications coming in. The reality is that instead of keeping academic standards high even for dental schools aiming to increase URMs in the workforce - a noble and worthy initiativem because yes, we do need that - they keep the statistical floor lower than most schools. Instead of inspiring young URMs to achieve 20 DAT's and a 3.5 sGPA and mandate those as the competitive standard, they breed the narrative that it's acceptable for an 18 AA and a 3.0 sGPA, simply because the demographic average in play yields those numbers, to be competitive for admission. That's not okay.

New schools opening like Touro are no different IMO than HBS dental schools aiming to push diversity. At a certain point in every application cycle, those that didn't get in, typically weren't admitted for a reason. It's certainly healthy to have a few dental students below cookie cutter 20 DAT and 3.5 sGPA in dental classes, but it isn't proactive to take swarms of that profile simply because "we have to do more to accommodate others in this industry." That ruins the field.

Ask any dental student currently in school, and they'll almost always argue that we should be (1) admitting less students and (2) ending the embracing of average profiles just because they're demographically diverse.

Dentistry to me is a privilege that you earn. If you've fallen behind in your profile in undergrad, there are steps and measures you can take to redeem yourself - it will take more years, more money, and more time than the average acceptee, but that journey itself makes you better off as a human and a future student. You actually find within yourself whether this is the right career path.

Schools like Touro, Meharry, and Howard undermine all these initiatives.

And again, back to quality education brands...

You cannot argue that Touro would have a quality dental education for new dentists. If 99% of people have never heard of a school like Touro (because it has no brand), and Touro opens a dental school, then yes, it is safer to assume that the quality of education there is likely less over an established school creating one. That reputation comes with the territory of being a quality university - you trust administrators and faculty to make better decisions with their students, their infrastructure, and curriculum.

So, because the dental field (1) doesn't need more dentists right now that are currently graduating year-to-year and (2) would like to keep their standards as high as possible, there is nothing to suggest right now that Touro hasn't been created for anything other than pumping out new dentists. A CODA approved designation simply means the absolute minimum tools were and are in place to teach dentistry if the school chooses to, and even that approval is still spending.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just throwing this out there...

"Big name" Dental Schools that closed in the past 30 years:

Emory Univ./1988/GA
Fairleigh Dickinson Univ./1990/NJ
Georgetown Univ./1990/DC
Loyola Univ./1993/IL
Northwestern Univ./2001/IL

What's in a name...?

Also, aren't the boards and board certification a thing for a reason? If a school prepares its students well enough to pass the boards, then how can you argue that it isn't producing "quality dentists"? How else are we to distinguish a quality dentist?

One last thing.. sorry for the triple post haha. Why don't dental school rankings exist? Schools for most other healthcare professions are ranked by US News etc..

One last thing.. sorry for the triple post haha. Why don't dental school rankings exist? Schools for most other healthcare professions are ranked by US News etc..

This could a sign of a possible downward spiral in dentistry as a whole - lower quality schools, more debt, more and more corporate jobs, more "gimmicky" crap (lasers, etc) to bypass specialist referrals >> we are headed the way pharmacy did, guys... sorry :(

As time goes on and population increases, competition will increase everywhere (and in the case if the States, "saturation"). Just be thankful that your country hasn't turned out like Canada yet, where there are only 7 dental schools you can apply to (10 if you speak French), >5 spots available for out of province students at each school, and where people's extracurricular, LOR, personal statement, etc. aren't even looked at (or weighted heavily if at all). America really is the country of opportunity

You mean debt slavery?
Yeah, I understand how difficult that's going to be for all of us. But to be honest, I'd rather be working as a dentist paying off a debt for 10 years than never getting accepted and working in a field I don't have a passion for.

Hmmm... I went to a top 50 school, but the point is that what if finances dictate where you can attend college? I attended one of the colleges you listed and I have a lot of debt from it that I regret. Another thing is those students at Hopkins aren't necessarily of more "quality" than someone at Frostburg State or Bowie State or the University of Maryland for that matter. There are people of lower socioeconomic class that should be given an opportunity if they can demonstrate the aptitude.

The opening of newer schools wouldn't be an issue if the admission standards were high across the board. This is actually a legitimate issue for all schools across the nation, and in the way we evaluate students and their performance in undergraduate institutions. The reality is that grades are not standardized college-to-college (they should) with professors implementing different ranges (they aren't forced to through the ADA) with some colleges being definitely harder than others (admissions don't care one lick, another disconcerting fact). A bottom 250-300 accredited four-year institution, that isn't even well-known in your state, is given the same statistical value (just because they're accredited) as a highly technical, global institution (JHU, MIT, Vandy, Duke, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Stanford) that undeniably deflates your grades. That's a major issue in of itself.

Also, aren't the boards and board certification a thing for a reason? If a school prepares its students well enough to pass the boards, then how can you argue that it isn't producing "quality dentists"? How else are we to distinguish a quality dentist?

Any school in my opinion can have students of that school pass the boards (the same could be said for any individual taking the DAT after a certain amount of studying). However, in my opinion the above statement does not necessarily mean they are producing quality dentists. When I think of the term "quality dentists" I think of competence achieved through exposure. Certain dental schools in the US have been providing opportunities for their students for years and know what works to get this done and doesn't. I am sure they are able to do this based on previously graduating classes, feedback from students and adjusting the curriculum (rotations, etc) accordingly. Yet, there still are other schools out there according to most people on SDN that have been around for awhile that simply don't produce quality dentists *cough* cough* Howard and Meharry.

Sure a school such as Touro can come along and open up a dental school. However, they aren't proven at all. Yes, after a few classes they could be proven with board scores in your case of producing a "quality dentist." Those first classes though will be guinea pigs in my opinion with a good amount of students graduating that probably should not have, but they did due to it being a new school, the grace of God or dumb luck. It isn't the issue that Touro might not produce "quality dentists" it is just that right now there is no proof that they will and even if they do no one will really know for a few years. Plus, the admissions standards of newer schools is typically lower meaning that students are less likely to thrive in an academic rigorous environment as demonstrated by GPA and DAT scores.

At the end of the day who honestly cares, but if I am a patient at any dental office/clinic in the US and I have the choice to decide between a recent Touro grad and another dental school grad I am choosing that other dental school grad.

Touro's first class is going to consist almost entirely of students unable to get in any other dental school. That's 100+ students a year that will potentially be graduating as dentists that were found to be less than qualified by every other dental school out there. Dilution of the profession by people unable to qualify under any other circumstance should absolutely be a concern, as should a school that's run purely as a business strategy to maximize profits and not to address any sort of need.

If the opening of Touro doesn't concern you, chances are it's because lowering the barrier to entry is to your advantage.

Reactions: 10 users
Any school in my opinion can have students of that school pass the boards (the same could be said for any individual taking the DAT after a certain amount of studying). However, in my opinion the above statement does not necessarily mean they are producing quality dentists. When I think of the term "quality dentists" I think of competence achieved through exposure. Certain dental schools in the US have been providing opportunities for their students for years and know what works to get this done and doesn't. I am sure they are able to do this based on previously graduating classes, feedback from students and adjusting the curriculum (rotations, etc) accordingly. Yet, there still are other schools out there according to most people on SDN that have been around for awhile that simply don't produce quality dentists *cough* cough* Howard and Meharry.

Sure a school such as Touro can come along and open up a dental school. However, they aren't proven at all. Yes, after a few classes they could be proven with board scores in your case of producing a "quality dentist." Those first classes though will be guinea pigs in my opinion with a good amount of students graduating that probably should not have, but they did due to it being a new school, the grace of God or dumb luck. It isn't the issue that Touro might not produce "quality dentists" it is just that right now there is no proof that they will and even if they do no one will really know for a few years. Plus, the admissions standards of newer schools is typically lower meaning that students are less likely to thrive in an academic rigorous environment as demonstrated by GPA and DAT scores.

At the end of the day who honestly cares, but if I am a patient at any dental office/clinic in the US and I have the choice to decide between a recent Touro grad and another dental school grad I am choosing that other dental school grad.
Then the boards are not a good measure of a ready to practice dentist, imo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The school didn't even open yet. Worry about it four years later. Meanwhile why don't you guys just worry about your abilities to succeed at your own institution. All dental school started from the beginning to present day. And you call this school business profit but is your tuition free? Seems bit desperate despite your numerous acceptances or just scared of competitions few years down the load.

No dental school tuition is free...and most dental schools that are established aren't for profit. I don't think it is a desperate thing at all to shed some light on the numerous dental schools popping up and realizing the value of a dental school degree. If you can't see that especially after FeralisExtremum's post then maybe Touro is the perfect fit for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
No dental school tuition is free...and most dental schools that are established aren't for profit. I don't think it is a desperate thing at all to shed some light on the numerous dental schools popping up and realizing the value of a dental school degree. If you can't see that especially after FeralisExtremum's post then maybe Touro is the perfect fit for you.
I'm not afraid of competition, I'm afraid of what it's going to do to patients when we have more and more debt-burdened dentists running around trying to make it out of the red.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/patients-pressure-and-profits-at-aspen-dental/

This is where debt-burdened grads go. Not to undeserved communities (exceptions of course, but few). What's worse is when these things DO end up in undeserved communities, taking advantage of them. At least people close to other dentists have an alternative.

As for my school? $33K per year in tuition does not cover the cost of education. The school "loses" over $50K per year on each student. Our education is subsidized through tax payer money because the state government believes it is in its best interest to educate us. Because it is in the best interest of the state's citizens to have dentists that are less likely to do what's being done some places. The school doesn't make money off of us. Private schools do make money off their students. State schools don't.

If there is anything about this post that you're not clear on, or anything about the impact of more private schools has on dentistry, I'd be happy to clarify/discuss with you.

chillax ppl. no need to be aggressive. just saying my opinions. my point was they didnt even open yet so why judge now? we dont even know what will happen in 4-5 years. who knows they might produce great dentist. was trying to make point there is no free tuition regardless of price. in fact i will be paying hefty tuition bc my school has such high tuition and living cost. both my brothers are now practicing dentist so i know how dental school operate. and i also know not all dentist aint same. but seriously belittling touro applicant by feralis aint nice either. i am sure you guys wouldnt be happy when harvard student say you got into xyz dental school bc you couldnt get into harvard. you, and i and all of us put hard work to apply to dental school so lets be fair to those applicants too. we as professional should not judge ppl like that. so...chillax. no fight here peace!

Reactions: 1 users
chillax ppl. no need to be aggressive. just saying my opinions. my point was they didnt even open yet so why judge now? we dont even know what will happen in 4-5 years. who knows they might produce great dentist. was trying to make point there is no free tuition regardless of price. in fact i will be paying hefty tuition bc my school has such high tuition and living cost. both my brothers are now practicing dentist so i know how dental school operate. and i also know not all dentist aint same. but seriously belittling touro applicant by feralis aint nice either. i am sure you guys wouldnt be happy when harvard student say you got into xyz dental school bc you couldnt get into harvard. you, and i and all of us put hard work to apply to dental school so lets be fair to those applicants too. we as professional should not judge ppl like that. so...chillax. no fight here peace!
I won't say anything about the potential quality of dentists Touro produces, but I will say that I agree with Feralis. By opening so late in the cycle, Touro basically guarantees to have an overwhelming majority of their inaugural class be people who did not get in anywhere else. If they had begun accepting applications in July, August, or maybe even September, this would not be the case. I believe Touro cannot even offer acceptances until they get their final accreditation, which they have yet to obtain. If you had an acceptance from somewhere else, would you risk not going to school next year if Touro doesn't accept you/get accredited or would you take the other acceptance and run with it?

Reactions: 3 users
I won't say anything about the potential quality of dentists Touro produces, but I will say that I agree with Feralis. By opening so late in the cycle, Touro basically guarantees to have an overwhelming majority of their inaugural class be people who did not get in anywhere else. If they had begun accepting applications in July, August, or maybe even September, this would not be the case. I believe Touro cannot even offer acceptances until they get their final accreditation, which they have yet to obtain. If you had an acceptance from somewhere else, would you risk not going to school next year if Touro doesn't accept you/get accredited or would you take the other acceptance and run with it?

i have a deposit to other school but i still applied to touro bc of location (adjcent state) and tuition. my brothers always underscore importance of tuition regardless of school name.

you mentioned that ppl who couldnt get in other school applied to touro is a mean statement. bc you got a acceptance before they did doesnt automatically discredit and doubt touro applicants' hard work and dedication.

also if we follow your rule, ppl who didnt get in this year should not be accepted next cycle too bc they couldnt get in anywhere and less competitive. im sure there are fair amount of reapplicants too. isnt that stereotype? lets be fair to all applicants. thats why there are admissions committee.

i have a deposit to other school but i still applied to touro bc of location (adjcent state) and tuition. my brothers always underscore importance of tuition regardless of school name.

you mentioned that ppl who couldnt get in other school applied to touro is a mean statement. bc you got a acceptance before they did doesnt automatically discredit and doubt touro applicants' hard work and dedication.

also if we follow your rule, ppl who didnt get in this year should not be accepted next cycle too bc they couldnt get in anywhere and less competitive. im sure there are fair amount of reapplicants too. isnt that stereotype? lets be fair to all applicants. thats why there are admissions committee.
What was my "rule"? I did not say applicants to Touro did not work hard, aren't dedicated, or should never be accepted. I said they most likely have not been accepted yet this cycle (they still could be later. It's only February). Congratulations on your other acceptance! I would still guess that most people who are applying have not been accepted yet. For me personally, if I were holding only one acceptance, unless it was a school I absolutely hated, I would take it over Touro because it's guaranteed to put me in dental school next year and save me the money and hassle of interviewing and the hassle of being in an inaugural class. But if you disagree, to each his own. Good luck with your application!

Reactions: 4 users
i am sure you guys wouldnt be happy when harvard student say you got into xyz dental school bc you couldnt get into harvard. you, and i and all of us put hard work to apply to dental school so lets be fair to those applicants too.

False analogy: those who fail to get into Harvard and go to another reputable school didn't completely wash out of the admissions process and then get saved by a new school desperate for cash.

i have a deposit to other school

What school, and how many acceptances do you currently have?

When people graduate from Touro, do you think they will be moving to somewhere like rural South Dakota, where (I'm assuming) there is a need for dentists due to a lack of a dental school? Or do you think they will stay in New York?
I've met a ton of people from NY and none of them want to live anywhere else. If I were in charge of Touro, I would have opened it in a state without a dental school. The number of dentists isn't necessarily the problem; it's where those dentists choose to practice
I'm from ny and I plan to move south after dental school lol

Haha you're definitely in the minority from what I've seen then
lol its because I hate the cold :D and also you can do so much better and have so much more bang for your buck outside NY, as someone who grew in NY and has gone to florida more times than I can count, I can honestly tell you NY is overrated, don't get me wrong, the schools here are top notch, but the weather is ehh haha

lol its because I hate the cold :D and also you can do so much better and have so much more bang for your buck outside NY, as someone who grew in NY and has gone to florida more times than I can count, I can honestly tell you NY is overrated, don't get me wrong, the schools here are top notch, but the weather is ehh haha
Hahahaha Florida is a league of its own. Hard to lump it together with the rest of the south. Hope you end up where you want to be :)! We should probably keep this thread on topic though

Hahahaha Florida is a league of its own. Hard to lump it together with the rest of the south. Hope you end up where you want to be :)! We should probably keep this thread on topic though
lol true, idk I think that another school just creates more saturation, and thanks for the sentiments :) , what school are you going to be attending?

Yeah I guess this is the new thing.
I found it strange because most of the schools I applied to required Ochem I&II with labs. Biochem, 14 credit hours in bio, Microbiology, Statistics. Some required A&P and cell Bio as well.
So when I saw Touro's requirements it was kinda shocking.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but UCSF also doesn't require OChem II. Only 1 OChem and 1 Biochem.