2 pharmacy schools shut down, which ones next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lots of people forget that it was only 6 years ago that OU closed down their Tulsa campus. I would expect more of these to happen if the enrollment numbers continue to bottom out. Texas Southern, Incarnate Word, Texas Tech in Abilene, etc. Clock is ticking!
I haven't heard much about Incarnate Word and Texas Tech. I can see Texas Southern going down for the count.

Members don't see this ad.

I remember this one

"failed four classes in one semester" => let's just have no standards then

"Mother of 8" => do you run a farm?

"19 teachers for one class" => pharmacy curriculum is very basic yet "experts" in each and every topic are required
she probably doesn't understand how to use birth control or didn't have the money for birth control

Feel bad for the students but this is what you get when you sign up for these schools. They should have never taken them in the first place and promised them things they couldn't deliver. Just wanted their $$$. If I was a student at one of the lower score NAPLEX schools I would certainly be worried about policy changes or even accreditation problems.
Sometimes when TSU gets audited by ACPE,there will be a rumor that TSU may lose their accreditation.

Here's a link about the audits from ACPE at TSU

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
RIP "steel cop"

Reactions: 1 user
They aren't shutting down yet but St. Louis College of Pharmacy officially changed their name. Now the pharmacy part is an afterthought. University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis. They are adding a couple more degree paths in addition to the BA and BS degrees they had already added.

Roseman, the school in Nevada, changed their name at least once.

They aren't shutting down yet but St. Louis College of Pharmacy officially changed their name. Now the pharmacy part is an afterthought. University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis. They are adding a couple more degree paths in addition to the BA and BS degrees they had already added.

Roseman, the school in Nevada, changed their name at least once.

And the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy did the same thing 22 years ago, adding a Sciences first and a University later while dropping the pharmacy name altogether.

It's your move, Albany College of Pharmacy...

This seems to be a trend now, adding other health degrees such as PA, nursing, optometry, PT, dental hygienist. Anything they can think of to get more easy money.

What does the name change have to do with it being shut down? Sorry, I am missing the connection.

What does the name change have to do with it being shut down? Sorry, I am missing the connection.
They were a private college of pharmacy. But they kept increasing their tuition and another more affordable pharmacy program was added across the river at SIU. Applicants decreased more and more so they added BA and BS programs to fill seats.

The old name doesn't make much sense if you are not focusing on pharmacy moving forward so they changed it. And added more degree options. They couldn't survive if they didn't broaden the curriculum.

They were a private college of pharmacy. But they kept increasing their tuition and another more affordable pharmacy program was added across the river at SIU. Applicants decreased more and more so they added BA and BS programs to fill seats.

The old name doesn't make much sense if you are not focusing on pharmacy moving forward so they changed it. And added more degree options. They couldn't survive if they didn't broaden the curriculum.

They also increased the length of the program by 1 year. I heard admissions had declined, but I had no idea that it was on the verge of shutting down with pharmacy alone. Keep in mind that for years it was a single major school, so if you didn't make it (yes there were some back in the day) you would have to transfer out of the school. Wow. Thanks for explaining.

Members don't see this ad :)
They need to shut down more schools especially ones that let this one graduate

Will I get fired for this? (link)

The pharmacy (3 letter) was busy, so I asked my technician to use my credentials for a DUR, and the other pharmacist was there and she reported me to my supervisor. I heard the supervisor on the phone say that it was serious.
The DUR was asking about a dose increase. I’ve worked at other stores and the technician sometimes just asks the pharmacist for their credentials for easy DURs. So they are doing it wrong too. I know that doesn’t make what I did okay, I just want to know if I will get fired over it. Please help!
Edit: Welp, looks like I’m gonna be gone, my parents are not going to happy about this

LMAO the stupidity. BeCaUsE tHeY dO iT tOo!

And this the same lameit subreddit where people told a pharmacist to mind his own beeswax (basically calling him a narc) because some dip**** manager let a tech immunize him (guess it depends if the tech is authorized to do it or not). Cutting corners can evince a lack of proper judgment in general

The best part is the other pharmacist was there so that top mind tech or the soon-to-be-fired pharmacist coulda asked the other pharmacist to check DUR

Then again if this was limp-wristed Walmart might just get a slap on the wrist and a stern warning.

• Haha

And this the same lameit subreddit where people told a pharmacist to mind his own beeswax (basically calling him a narc) because some dip**** manager let a tech immunize him (guess it depends if the tech is authorized to do it or not). Cutting corners can evince a lack of proper judgment in general

The best part is the other pharmacist was there so that top mind tech or the soon-to-be-fired pharmacist coulda asked the other pharmacist to check DUR

Then again if this was limp-wristed Walmart might just get a slap on the wrist and a stern warning.

At Kroger, it's even printed out plain as day on every single RDAC you print out, that you cannot give you RDAC to someone else, which would result in serious consequences.

I heard about pharmacists getting in trouble for this when I worked at CVS and I never understood why anyone would do it. It saves perhaps two seconds and six steps?

He shouldn't lose his job over it. I am not condoning it but the chains emphasis on speed and metrics invites us to cut corners.Everyone knows
chains order meds with different NDCs and changing an NDC takes extra time .Do you sometimes give meds that dont have the exact NDC?Count me guilty and dont give me that that BS about a recall.Do you mix different NDCs or just stare at old partial bottles on the shelf until they outdate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
He shouldn't lose his job over it. I am not condoning it but the chains emphasis on speed and metrics invites us to cut corners.Everyone knows
chains order meds with different NDCs and changing an NDC takes extra time .Do you sometimes give meds that dont have the exact NDC?Count me guilty and dont give me that that BS about a recall.Do you mix different NDCs or just stare at old partial bottles on the shelf until they outdate.

No, changing an NDC takes seconds as well.

I don’t get it. It’s the pharmacist responsibility to check the DUR, not the tech. Is this person a new grad, or a grad intern. If he or she is a grad intern, slap on wrist. New grad, probably pink slip/fired

Adjustments.JPG

Lol look what I got in the mail.

a) I didn’t know this school was so jesus-ey
b) I half expected a coupon code for the 12% off lololol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
View attachment 318967
Lol look what I got in the mail.

a) I didn’t know this school was so jesus-ey
b) I half expected a coupon code for the 12% off lololol
And that letter or brochure they sent you is against Bible principles because the letter is using God’s name in vain and trying to make a profit from using God’s name

Are sulfur-based lifeforms possible through Christ?

• Haha
Why are they celebrating the 26th anniversary so much? That seems like such a strange milestone, unless they just do it every year.

• Hmm
Why are they celebrating the 26th anniversary so much? That seems like such a strange milestone, unless they just do it every year.

lol I just noticed that, hahah what the hell, I mean H-E-double-hockey-sticks

Under the old calibration, the one where most people made 99%, it was 8%. That was used in an argument to say that PCAT didn't matter. I agreed on the high end, but I genuinely suspected illiteracy to score that low.

Or their written English ability was not sufficient to understand the test.

You failed 4 classes in a semester...you ain't cut out for this dude.

And if 11 students from one class are flunking out, something's gone wrong somewhere.

26th anniversary of (US oriented and listing some video game releases):

• Tonya Harding's ex-husband ordering a hit on Nancy Kerrigan
  • Kurt Cobain dying
  • OJ murdering Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman
  • Knicks big-time choking game 7 of the NBA Finals (John Starks 0-11 from 3, 2-18 FG)
  • Lion King
  • First time in 40 years Republicans controlled both houses of Congress
  • Release of Super Metroid, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy VI

• Wow
  • Hmm
They aren't shutting down yet but St. Louis College of Pharmacy officially changed their name. Now the pharmacy part is an afterthought. University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis.

Seems extremely unlikely. STLCOP is one of the oldest and biggest pharmacy schools in the nation. They have been expanding since the 90's, and the name change is just a late catch-up.

Haha, it just to be unofficially known as St. Louis College of Pharmacy & Nursing, because they had a deal with another university, and their nursing students all came to STLCOP to take their basic science classes.

LOL didn't see that STLCOP change.

Pretending they are an actual university like MCPHS I see

26th anniversary of (US oriented and listing some video game releases):

• Tonya Harding's ex-husband ordering a hit on Nancy Kerrigan
  • Kurt Cobain dying
  • OJ murdering Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman
  • Knicks big-time choking game 7 of the NBA Finals (John Starks 0-11 from 3, 2-18 FG)
  • Lion King
  • First time in 40 years Republicans controlled both houses of Congress
  • Release of Super Metroid, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy VI

- I graduated from pharmacy school

Reactions: 3 users
CA BOP recently posted the 2020 exam results.

CHSU had a 42.6% pass rate for the CPJE and they still want to reapply for accreditation. They really need to focus on helping their P2-P4 students bring that up before starting a new cohort.

View attachment 321296

Wow that’s terrible.

And wow, is the CPJE now an actual/real exam that requires effort to pass? What a thought. I should look at old stats, but I swear anything < 80% was “bad”

If these new schools were smart, they’d spend a boat load on exam prep knowing these stats are public and reported.

Or maybe they did and this was the result.

LMAO California Northstate sent out an email to preceptors saying they got the 4th highest CPJE pass rate.

You mean the 4th least crappiest.

EGYPT (22/32 = .6875) has a better pass rate than West Coast (17/32 = .53125)

CA BOP recently posted the 2020 exam results.

CHSU had a 42.6% pass rate for the CPJE and they still want to reapply for accreditation. They really need to focus on helping their P2-P4 students bring that up before starting a new cohort.

View attachment 321296

The numbers are pretty interesting for those of us who live in CA. Looks like the smartest students are choosing cheaper state schools, UCSF and UCSD. USC has a tremendous network in California, although I don't know how one can attend pharmacy school paying 60K per year tuition.

The weakest links are CA Health Sci, West Coast, and Keck- they are a disgrace. How do you graduate students of this caliber?

I am actually really surprised by NorthState, and to some extent by Ketchum and Chapman.

LMAO California Northstate sent out an email to preceptors saying they got the 4th highest CPJE pass rate.

You mean the 4th least crappiest.

EGYPT (22/32 = .6875) has a better pass rate than West Coast (17/32 = .53125)

I've met their students, I am not surprised.

The numbers are pretty interesting for those of us who live in CA. Looks like the smartest students are choosing cheaper state schools, UCSF and UCSD. USC has a tremendous network in California, although I don't know how one can attend pharmacy school paying 60K per year tuition.

The weakest links are CA Health Sci, West Coast, and Keck- they are a disgrace. How do you.

Cheaper state schools have always been preferred since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I actually welcome the opening of UCI’s SOP, you’re going to see a UC sweep for the top 3 and further devaluation on the bottom end.

By the way, I reread this entire thread start to finish, it’s one of my favorites.

Cheaper state schools have always been preferred since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I actually welcome the opening of UCI’s SOP, you’re going to see a UC sweep for the top 3 and further devaluation on the bottom end.

I saw the faculty that UCI was able to attract, I am sure they will be a decent school. However with Chapman and Ketchum already in OC; and AUHS (Long Beach) in the process of conduction their "experiment", the pharmacy landscape in Orange County is looking bleak. Glad that I am not looking for a job there!

I don't see devaluation leading to shutting down of any schools any time soon.

I saw the faculty that UCI was able to attract, I am sure they will be a decent school. However with Chapman and Ketchum already in OC; and AUHS (Long Beach) in the process of conduction their "experiment", the pharmacy landscape in Orange County is looking bleak. Glad that I am not looking for a job there!

I don't see devaluation leading to shutting down of any schools any time soon.

Oh they won’t close, so long as moral hazard exists with student loans and repayment plans. And I don’t blame the incoming students, either. Borrow $500k for a 25% chance at making $100k a year, and if you fail, you’re legally allowed to pay zero? I’d take those chances on those terms.

I was thinking employers would be the ones holding the line, and we already are, for the most part.