2007 MCV Central (Part II)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten off of the waitlist, yet???

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no waitlist movement? Has anyone called the admissions office, or emailed Dr. WC recently?

Having gone through this last year, I would HIGHLY recommend leaving her alone until May 15. She's going to get an email from every one of us that week, so let's not piss her off until then-especially since she's already told several people she can't tell us anything until the 15th:D

Just a suggestion.

Well I am new to this game, but in a much better place than I was last year which was retaking the MCAT:eek: I got waitlisted, not sure how that is going to go. I am here getting my Masters and am hoping to stay put. I have also been waitlisted at 3 other schools, at least I got no rejections. Any idea how fast this list will move???

Well I am new to this game, but in a much better place than I was last year which was retaking the MCAT:eek: I got waitlisted, not sure how that is going to go. I am here getting my Masters and am hoping to stay put. I have also been waitlisted at 3 other schools, at least I got no rejections. Any idea how fast this list will move???

It's VCU: Your Key to the World - http://www.vcu.edu/itsvcu/

The second of four commercial-free episodes showcasing VCU — including the people and programs that make it unique — re-aired this past Saturday, April 14, on NBC 12 at 1:30 p.m. “It's VCU: Your Key to the World” looks at VCU's international presence in Richmond and all around the world. To see all four episodes, visit http://www.vcu.edu/itsvcu .

Virginia Commonwealth University and NBC12 teamed up to showcase this urban university, located in the heart of Richmond. VCU’s diverse students, faculty and programs, superior teaching, steady growth and groundbreaking research are shaping Richmond, the state and the region. Watch “It’s VCU” and see why VCU is one of the most innovative, entrepreneurial universities in the country … and what we’re doing for Richmond.

hey, i wanted to ask for advice:

i have two scientific papers that were published in march. these are my first publications, so i think its a pretty big deal and i think im going to send an update letter to VCU. in my update letter i think i will also tell VCU that they are my top choice, and will most definitely accept a position at VCU and drop any other acceptances. i know that it is doubtful that this would change my priority score, but it can't hurt right?

Wont hurt and in the very rare event of a perfect tie, may help. They'll put the letter on file.

I did it when I was waitlisted last year.

Wont hurt and in the very rare event of a perfect tie, may help. They'll put the letter on file.

I did it when I was waitlisted last year.

hey instatewaiter, thanks for the reply. did you send out your update letter to the dean of admissions? snail mail or email? thanks!

Is anyone else worried because the waitlist hasn't moved yet? I'm hoping this is not an indicator of how much it is going to move.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey instatewaiter, thanks for the reply. did you send out your update letter to the dean of admissions? snail mail or email? thanks!

i figured it would be best if I sent it as a hard copy. I typed it up and signed the bottom. I figured e-mail was just too informal. I think I sent it to Dr H (old dean of admissions) but cant really remember. If in doubt just send it to the admissions office and they will stick it in your file.

Is anyone else worried because the waitlist hasn't moved yet? I'm hoping this is not an indicator of how much it is going to move.

Really there is very, very little movement before the 15th. Regardless of year that is how it is. People hold on to their acceptances until they have to give it up. Dr WC will be able to tell how the waitilst is going to move very shortly after may 15th. Wait to contact her till then.

Its really hard to just sit and wait and not be able to do anything about this. The process has gone on for 8 long months, hopefully only a month more! :)

Compared to last year, didn't they really interview less people

Compared to last year, didn't they really interview less people

I think it was in the 800s last year and in the 600s this year. I wonder if that will make a difference to those of us waitlisted....

Yeah it was around 950 last year and 650 (normal amt) this year. You would think that this would make the waitlist move faster but I have heard they recieved an extra thousand applicants this year, so who knows...

Yeah it was around 950 last year and 650 (normal amt) this year. You would think that this would make the waitlist move faster but I have heard they recieved an extra thousand applicants this year, so who knows...

would that really matter since the people on the waitlist are only coming from the people they interviewed? So having thousand or so more applicants wouldnt really matter if they didnt interview. I have no idea just makes sense and gives the most hope.

I like your way of thinking!!!!!! It gives us all hope:)

So did anyone ever hear any reason for why MCV mangled letting us know on March 15th. And what was up with all the spelling and gramatical errors that were in the post on their website that day? I got the biggest kick out of them thanking us for our "patients" while they sorted things out. Very professional of a professional school. . .

Instatewaiter were you on MCV's waitlist last year as well and didn't make it in? Sounds like torture! Good luck to you and everyone else this year!!!

So did anyone ever hear any reason for why MCV mangled letting us know on March 15th. And what was up with all the spelling and gramatical errors that were in the post on their website that day? I got the biggest kick out of them thanking us for our "patients" while they sorted things out. Very professional of a professional school. . .

Instatewaiter were you on MCV's waitlist last year as well and didn't make it in? Sounds like torture! Good luck to you and everyone else this year!!!

No, Instatewaiter was accepted last year, right? He's a first year at MCV, I thought.

soo, umm, can we get this thread bumpin again, wherez everyone at? i know we all check this thread like everyday and it hurts to find it back on like page 4, lol...

we probably need a new topic of discussions besides waitlist movement ;)

Yeah I am a first year this year. Let me tell you, waiting was absolute torture eventhough I interviewed pretty late and got in on may 15th.

I really feel for you guys who interviewed in september/october and are still waiting to hear.

Yeah that is pretty funny about the typo, especially since it is a med school. Thank you for your patients... that is pretty funny... wonder if someone in the admissions office was having a laugh at everyone's expense.

So what are everyone's plans for the summer?

Yeah I am a first year this year. Let me tell you, waiting was absolute torture eventhough I interviewed pretty late and got in on may 15th.

I really feel for you guys who interviewed in september/october and are still waiting to hear.

Yeah that is pretty funny about the typo, especially since it is a med school. Thank you for your patients... that is pretty funny... wonder if someone in the admissions office was having a laugh at everyone's expense.

So what are everyone's plans for the summer?

Its hard to make summer plans with all these uncertainties since I don't have a single acceptance yet!
My ideal summer would be watching and playing CRICKET 24/7

hey, im on the waitlists at both EVMS and VCU. in general, which school do in-state students choose? i know that its based on personal preference, as they are both good schools, but on average, do you think in-staters pick VCU or EVMS?

if i got into both, i would pick VCU, but primarily for personal reasons (closer to home, closer to girlfriend in DC, etc.). if not for these reasons, i think it would be a toss-up!

I think the positive and negative attributes of EVMS and MCV are fairly equal. I have friends at both schools and I am also on the waitlist for both. MCV has more opportunities for research and the new dean is emphasizing research and funding it heavily. They both emphasize early clinical skills but I believe EVMS has a better system for that with the trained actors they use as patients. MCV has a better anatomy lab. Norfolk's traffic is terrible!!! Richmond has great restaurants. MCV's parking situation sucks. Pay $2 everyday to walk up several blocks uphill compared to a free parking deck right next door to EVMS. All in all, most feedback I've gotten from my experienced friends is they're both great schools and to go where it feels right.

I think the positive and negative attributes of EVMS and MCV are fairly equal. I have friends at both schools and I am also on the waitlist for both. MCV has more opportunities for research and the new dean is emphasizing research and funding it heavily. They both emphasize early clinical skills but I believe EVMS has a better system for that with the trained actors they use as patients. MCV has a better anatomy lab. Norfolk's traffic is terrible!!! Richmond has great restaurants. MCV's parking situation sucks. Pay $2 everyday to walk up several blocks uphill compared to a free parking deck right next door to EVMS. All in all, most feedback I've gotten from my experienced friends is they're both great schools and to go where it feels right.

I think most in Va would say that the hierarchy of schools in Va generally goes:
UVA
MCV
EVMS

There, however, is not a huge difference between any of these schools.

EVMS and MCV use the exact same actors (i mean literally the same people) that we lovingly call standardized patients. MCV ships them in from norfolk. EVMS has a much larger focus on these encounters with 'patients' but the focus at MCV is by no means small. When I first came to school I was very excited about these encounters but after going through first year I can tell you these encounters are ridiculously contrived. It is good to learn the physical exams and be able to practice them but there is a limited amt you can get out of a person faking sick. It is hard to fake aortic regurgitation.

Parking sucks as does walking up the hill. Paying for it is even worse. It works out to be around 150/semester (year?) I envy the EVMS kids who can park next to their classes.

anyone know if there has been any movement from the waitlist?

No movement that I know of... MCV's application process has been very painful so far. I hope that M-1 isn't anything like this. Instatewaiter how is MCV M1, and what are you up to this summer?

Med school is much more organized than the application process was. There is no doubt a lot of work that you have to do but all of the information is condensed into the syllabi which is really convenient. Also the expectations are very clearly laid out for you in each class. You do lots of work and every 2-3 weeks take an exam. There is no waiting and not uncertainty (unlike the application process and waitlist). By far the best thing is that there is what is called 'self grade.' So you take the exam and when done you turn in your scan-tron/bubble sheet. Once the exam finishes answer keys are passed out and each person can compare their answers to the correct answer. So you never have to stew about how you did on an exam; you know immediately.

For summer I was planning on doing some medically related traveling to india but my plans fell through and I will either be going to Central America instead or be stuck doing research...

21 days...May 15th is approaching slowly. Luckily I'll be busy at least the next week or so, so I'll have something to do instead of staring at SDN during the week. Good luck everyone!

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had clarified with the admissions office about what way another acceptance was weighed in the event of a tie on the waiting list. Also, I saw someone else ask, but I haven't seen a repy to "Does an acceptance at an osteopathic school count?"

Hi all,

There has been waitlist movement! Tater2 (IS applicant) was accepted on 4/12/2007. I noticed their post in the VCU student forum, and PM'd them to confirm. I sure hope the OOS waitlist is moving as well. Good luck!

is there a status update if one is accepted off the waitlist?

nka, do you know how he or she was notified? Email/status update, snail mail, phone call...?

nka, do you know how he or she was notified? Email/status update, snail mail, phone call...?

Sorry, I didn't ask. I assumed it was a status page update, because it seems like this is the only way people were notified in past years.

Sorry, I didn't ask. I assumed it was a status page update, because it seems like this is the only way people were notified in past years.

No worries, just curious. You are probably right about the status page update...Man, this is brutal!! :eek:

people have been getting off waitlists at the places in waitlisted at: albany, EVMS, VCU. i guess it's a good sign, but i'm feeling left out :(

btw, i am writing a letter of update and interest, would anyone mind reading it and letting me know what you think??

but I believe EVMS has a better system for that with the trained actors they use as patients.

:barf:

As a 2005 alum of MCV, I have to agree with Instatewaiter on this one. The hierarchy for clinical skill practice: Real Patient >>>>>>>>>>>>Standardized Patient >> Roomate > Dog > Cat >Dead Dog > Mouse > Dead Cat > Cob of Corn > Dead Mouse > Porcupine > Ether.

For summer I was planning on doing some medically related traveling to india but my plans fell through and I will either be going to Central America instead or be stuck doing research...[/QUOTE said:
Instatewaiter, is your trip to Central America (or the one you were going to do in india) coordinated through MCV or are you organizing it yourself? Just trying to get a feel for the availability of international experience. Thanks!

r we gonna hear may15th? i wonder how many ppl will email dr wc that day...

r we gonna hear may15th? i wonder how many ppl will email dr wc that day...

Last year it looked like there were acceptances ~May 13th, 15th, 16th....and my guess is about a hundred people will email her, so we shouldnt expect to actually hear anything back very fast.:luck:

Wow, I thought the time would really drag until May 15th, but May kinda snuck up on me. Good luck to all, and don't forget to tell us if you get in!

I'm resisting the urge to countdown to May 15th. That way I won't have to start counting down to the next big hurdle. I have my last final exam tonight (o-chem) and I am forcing myself to do nothing (which includes worrying about waiting lists) for the next day or two. Good luck everyone....may the list move swiftly and we'll celebrate together when we arrive for orientation!

I'm working on amcas for next yr :(
Facebook already has many of those committed to mcv up and that is by no means everyone who is going. Some friends have told me they haven't gotten around to signing up. To date 8 ISF of 45-50 spots, 7 ISM of 45-50 spots, 7 OOSF of 40 spots, 7 OOSM of 40 spots. I'm really trying to be positive but real at the same time. May 15th should not be a count down date. Even if people with multiple spots have to decide many hang on until June 1st and there is a lag between when schools send out offers. It's not like mcv has a real list. They are pulling who they want out of a pool as does every other school. Still, I would say based on reading through last yrs posts which one can search and pull off sdn most of the waitlist cleared by early June after that nothing...