2008-2009 UCSF Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm both. haha. i'm sorta steereessed out. but oh well!

Members don't see this ad.

A fairly large batch of acceptances will be (or has been) sent out this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
It has been confirmed by multiple sources, but how large is "large"? No idea. I don't know the composition of this batch either, at this point it probably will be mixed, with some HP listers as well. The revisit weekend is coming up, so they are probably speeding things up to give most accepted applicants the chance to come if they so desire.

It has been confirmed by multiple sources, but how large is "large"? No idea. I don't know the composition of this batch either, at this point it probably will be mixed, with some HP listers as well. The revisit weekend is coming up, so they are probably speeding things up to give most accepted applicants the chance to come if they so desire.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

but I doubt that applies to me b/c they said I would not hear anything until late april :(

ohhhhhhhhhh man :xf::xf::xf:

Good luck everyone!!!

If anybody gets in this week, join the Facebook group and Google group and then check out my Roommate Finder spreadsheet on Google docs!

Me and 3 other MS1 girls have found a place and we're trying to finalize the lease with the landlord. :xf:

Good luck everyone!!!

If anybody gets in this week, join the Facebook group and Google group and then check out my Roommate Finder spreadsheet on Google docs!

Me and 3 other MS1 girls have found a place and we're trying to finalize the lease with the landlord. :xf:
so are you definite on UCSF? I thought you were still waiting on financial aid.

yikes, i just sent them some update materials last week... wonder if they'll have even looked at it before having made the decision...

so are you definite on UCSF? I thought you were still waiting on financial aid.

I'm about 99% sure, from the information that I have right now.
I like to get a head start on things, so I've already started looking into research and housing possibilities at UCSF.
I'm really excited about this house!!!

Things that could change my mind:

If I *hate* it at UCSF's 2nd look weekend...

... and *love* it at Yale's 2nd look weekend, & Yale gives me enough financial aid that it's less expensive than UCSF - I'll consider going to Yale

... and *hate* it at Yale's 2nd look weekends - I'll consider going to UCLA.

... and Michigan offers me a full-tuition scholarship - I'll consider going to Michigan

I'm about 99% sure, from the information that I have right now.
I like to get a head start on things, so I've already started looking into research and housing possibilities at UCSF.
I'm really excited about this house!!!

Things that could change my mind:

If I *hate* it at UCSF's 2nd look weekend...

... and *love* it at Yale's 2nd look weekend, & Yale gives me enough financial aid that it's less expensive than UCSF - I'll consider going. to Yale

... and *hate* it at Yale's 2nd look weekends - I'll consider going to UCLA.

... and Michigan offers me a full-tuition scholarship - I'll consider going to Michigan

Hey Shemarty, what if you get off Stanford's WL? What would you then? Or would it be the same thing as above but Stanford will just be somewhere in the ... lines? I'm just curious :p

Last edited:
yikes, i just sent them some update materials last week... wonder if they'll have even looked at it before having made the decision...

ugh that happened to me in january.. so annoying.

sooooo, anyone (perhaps some charitable soul who's been accepted) want to call the admissions office to ask what day this delightful packet of acceptances is being sent?
(i think my mailman mayyy file a restraining order and i swear nancy knows my voice by now HA)

ugh that happened to me in january.. so annoying.

sooooo, anyone (perhaps some charitable soul who's been accepted) want to call the admissions office to ask what day this delightful packet of acceptances is being sent?
(i think my mailman mayyy file a restraining order and i swear nancy knows my voice by now HA)

well we've already established that it's probably going out today, tomorrow or friday. need they be more specific?

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone I know [who lives in SF] got an acceptance letter today, so more must be coming!

To those of you who are accepted, join the Facebook Group!
There are 54 members, but some seem to be upperclassmen, haha.

On the front page, there are links to:

The UCSF c/o 2013 Google Group. This will be our class e-mail chat list, unless there's an official UCSF one? There are 74 people in the group already!

The UCSF c/o 2013 Roommate Finder Google Doc. This spreadsheet is for people to meet each other and find potential roommates (2nd look weekend is so far away!) There are 35 people who have signed up so far, and I already found my 3 roommates for next year!

Last edited:
Someone I know [who lives in SF] got an acceptance letter today, so more must be coming!

Nope, no need for specificity - must have been mailed yesterday! Thanks for the info/all the organization Shemarty!!

Anybody hear of any acceptances from people with cGPA ~3.5, and 35Q on MCAT (assuming exceptional EC's)?
Any chance of waitlists?

I'm a CA resident, and was just curious. Thanks!

Anybody hear of any acceptances from people with cGPA ~3.5, and 35Q on MCAT (assuming exceptional EC's)?
Any chance of waitlists?

I'm a CA resident, and was just curious. Thanks!

UCSF accepts ppl with a range of GPA's/MCATs. just look at mdapps. i think whether or not your score is an indicator of your chances depends a lot on the group of 12 or so that are reviewing your application. if you recall the intro Dean Wofsy gave during the interview, the only question asked at the committee meetings is how much they want you there. i'm assuming some people heavily weigh EC's and others might give you a lower score because of GPA/MCAT or whatever personal criteria they have. in any case, an interview means your chances are already pretty good, yeah? they accept nearly 50% of the people they interview i believe..

on friday (4/10), i got a "prime-us update" email from beth wilson that said that i had made it to the "final selection process" and that the committee meets to make final decision on 4/29. not that it matters for me really, because i haven't actually gotten into the school! (yet, hopefully!)
i have no idea how many people got the email, or what "final selection process" means though, so i wouldn't read into it a ton!
hope that made sense. i have a serious case of the mondays today.
I just got that email. But it basically sounded like they had the group they would consider for the 11 PRIME spots, and I was on a waitlist for that group. Almost a waitlist for a waitlist :) Oh well....

I just got that email. But it basically sounded like they had the group they would consider for the 11 PRIME spots, and I was on a waitlist for that group. Almost a waitlist for a waitlist :) Oh well....

but on the bright side you have already been admitted!!

This is the best news I've received via mail ever! I really wanted it, but doubted that it would happen. UCSF has been the school that I've always wanted to go to. I just felt like sharing my happy news :)

And I live in Berkeley, for those of you still waiting. Best of luck! :luck:

thanks for the optimism, htown! appreciated. but meh, i don't trust odds in this process..

are you prime or hp waiting to hear?

apple, i went to bed last night and i had an overwhelming feeling of optimism about that email. there are a couple of things that i'm considering, and maybe you'll agree with me:

there are acceptances going out this week. this means that the committee probably met last week or maybe even the week before. what does this mean for us in terms of receiving the email? well, i am assuming that before the PRIME committee narrowed down the list and sent us that email, they probably were in contact with the regular admissions office to see the status of our candidacy. why would they send us an email like that unless they thought we had a really good chance of being in the program to begin with or maybe they were given a list of PRIME applicants who were accepted??? who knows?

the alternative is: PRIME has had no communications with the admissions office, and they might have sent that email to some people who were going to get rejected or further waitlisted this week or at the end of April... the alternative just doesn't make too much sense to me... but who knows, maybe there is a strong disconnect between the two programs, although i really doubt this.

if acceptances weren't going out this week, i probably would not be as optimistic. but i think the timing of the email and the subsequent acceptances going out is a little too coincidental to not mean something. :xf::xf::xf:

if acceptances weren't going out this week, i probably would not be as optimistic. but i think the timing of the email and the subsequent acceptances going out is a little too coincidental to not mean something. :xf::xf::xf:

haha, man you made my morning...

unfortunately, i'm less optimistic cause i live in san fran, and my mailbox was painfully empty yesterday. so unless they are sending out those acceptances in a few packets, i'm probably just waiting for my skinny waitlist (or rejection. ick.)

however, if you or anyone else has some blind optimism for me, share! haha. congrats to the accepted folk! (and htown, if you're in tx, maybe your fatty envelope will be here today or tmr!)

haha, man you made my morning...

unfortunately, i'm less optimistic cause i live in san fran, and my mailbox was painfully empty yesterday. so unless they are sending out those acceptances in a few packets, i'm probably just waiting for my skinny waitlist (or rejection. ick.)

however, if you or anyone else has some blind optimism for me, share! haha. congrats to the accepted folk! (and htown, if you're in tx, maybe your fatty envelope will be here today or tmr!)

boo way to poke a hole in what i thought was close to water-proof logic. my recollection is that most of the acceptances have gone out in one big mailing...but maybe it's different this time.. agggggghh.

boo way to poke a hole in what i thought was close to water-proof logic. my recollection is that most of the acceptances have gone out in one big mailing...but maybe it's different this time.. agggggghh.

ha more like water-resistant... you could still get a letter! i have my fingers crossed.
and my toes crossed that there could be a few batches. anyone know of that happening? there hasn't been too much noise about people getting letters... but prob bc they're not in the bay area.

So I came home and got the letter today. I started jumping and screaming before I even opened it... It felt good.

My parents don't really know what is going on, they just told me to be quiet. But it was that nice, warm, fuzzy feeling inside =)

Also, I don't think the Backpacking Trip is necessary right? It's little... expensive. But anyway, I'm very, very grateful.

Edit: Oh, I was also PRIME, but didn't see any papers attached in regards to PRIME. =/

Last edited:
So I came home and got the letter today. I started jumping and screaming before I even opened it... It felt good.

My parents don't really know what is going on, they just told me to be quiet. But it was that nice, warm, fuzzy feeling inside =)

Also, I don't think the Backpacking Trip is necessary right? It's little... expensive. But anyway, I'm very, very grateful.

Edit: Oh, I was also PRIME, but didn't see any papers attached in regards to PRIME. =/
congrats! Did you get an email from Beth Wilson about PRIME?

Yes, I did sometime last week.

only Cal acceptances so far, and no other news today ?? must've been a smallish initial batch mailed out early in the week?

:scared:<-me like everyday this month over UCSF. .agh

I received my acceptance today. I am giddy with excitement. I was practically shaking all day. It took every ounce of emotional discipline that I have to not trip and impale myself on a pipette tip at work.

I live in NYC. Interviewed at the end of February. Good luck to everyone that hasn't heard or is waitlisted. Excited to meet everyone who has been accepted.

Accepted today (live in arkansas). I'm shocked. I really don't know what to think. I had just made my decision to go to cleveland clinic lerner college of medicine because our deadline to decide was last week. Now this comes along 2 days later and changes everything. I dont know what to do or what to think. :eek:

Accepted today (live in arkansas). I'm shocked. I really don't know what to think. I had just made my decision to go to cleveland clinic lerner college of medicine because our deadline to decide was last week. Now this comes along 2 days later and changes everything. I dont know what to do or what to think. :eek:

woh! you get your mail early!! congrats!

congrats littlerocker!! san fran is a pretty amazing city - you should go to revisit!

also, when did you interview? were most/all of these acceptances from feb interviews or march? (crossing my fingers that they still might accept HP listers next week or so)

congrats littlerocker!! san fran is a pretty amazing city - you should go to revisit!

also, when did you interview? were most/all of these acceptances from feb interviews or march? (crossing my fingers that they still might accept HP listers next week or so)

Thanks guys. I'm still in utter disbelief haha. I interviewed feb 23rd. And yeah, I think I'm first on my mailman's route. I always get my mail at 9 am.

Thanks guys. I'm still in utter disbelief haha. I interviewed feb 23rd. And yeah, I think I'm first on my mailman's route. I always get my mail at 9 am.

no mail in the friendly.. i mean lone star state.. :(

i guess it's a slim chance to get off the hp list at this point anyhew... i shouldn't be getting all excited about mail yet at least..

but wow, that PRIME update threw me for a loop. and seemingly no record of something like that being sent out in the previous cycle.

Does anyone know of a good UCSF student blog that gives a realistic portrayal of life at UCSF?

Does anyone know of a good UCSF student blog that gives a realistic portrayal of life at UCSF?

I think this is something worth looking at! Someone posted this in the facebook group and I thought it was awesome:

http://ucsfstudents.wordpress.com/t...chool/advice-for-first-year-medical-students/

Also, here's another...

http://eishazinnerworld.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=50

Last edited:
for those out there still waiting, wanted to let you know that i called ucsf admissions on friday to ask whether all of the april acceptances had been sent out. according to nancy, they will still be mailing all three (and she said explicitly acceptances, waitlists, and rejections) in the next two weeks... i don't know if that is a standard line, but it made me a little more hopeful than i was!

waitlists as in HP lists? or waitlists as in alternate list waitlist??

it would suck to be HPed like.. tomorrow..

or are they rejecting the HPers already?

aghh a^3 let's be hopeful together :)

waitlists as in HP lists? or waitlists as in alternate list waitlist??

it would suck to be HPed like.. tomorrow..

or are they rejecting the HPers already?

aghh a^3 let's be hopeful together :)

haha yes we need a support group.

and at this point, i'm sure the letters are alternate list waitlist. i think that the majority of hp-listers get alternate list letters, but some get acceptances and a few get rejected.

I also spoke to the admissions office and another source (not Nancy) confirmed that HP list applicants will be hearing one of three things by the end of the month:

1. Acceptance
2. Alternate/Waitlist
3. Rejection

I was told multiple times that an unfavorable outcome (rejection) is possible at this point.

However, judging from previous years' threads, there were no (or very few) direct acceptances off the HP list. It appears that HP-listers were funneled into either an 1. alternate/waitlist (limbo) or were 2. rejected around this time. Perhaps things have changed...and hopefully for the better.

Good luck everyone. And please don't be shy to post if you hear anything else -- it helps us out.

All my mail gets sent home to LA and my parents did not receive anything from UCSF today. Soooooooo....I am going to assume the worst :(

Best of luck guys!

Nothing in the mail up here in Norcal, ~ 20 miles from SF. Don't know if I should feel happy or sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.