2008-2009 UCSF Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
we're more and more in the dark these days i guess. thanks for the quick answer.

interviewed march 2nd

seems like they've reviewed the feb and march candidates, and are now hopefully re-reviewing the HP list...
not that it seems there's much room for acceptances, but hey, maybe we'll start to hear something this week.

GOOD LUCK to everyone! and post if you get news!

Members don't see this ad :)
although on the bright side... we haven't heard the words "the class is overbooked" yet... that's a good thing. i think by this time last year they were already saying that...and it was to the alternate list with almost everyone.

Hi all,

I've been on the HP list since early March, and I feel the pain of everyone still waiting. I just hope that I am not placed on the alternate list. I have acceptances at other schools that I could be very happy at (and if you interviewed at UCSF I am sure you are in the same boat) -- Once I have closure I can start getting excited and ready for the fall. However, if there is still hope for UCSF, I probably could not let it go.

Kaia"Wishing for Closure"Rose

Last edited:
bumpp!! no news this week??? what's going oooonnn?

has anyone heard anything from ucsf yet? HP people are supposed to hear by late april.. i guess we'll hear this week?

has anyone heard anything from ucsf yet? HP people are supposed to hear by late april.. i guess we'll hear this week?

i hope it's this week!! prime-us committee meets on wednesday... revisit is this weekend... how do we not know anything? gahhh.

if there are HP-listers out there that received an acceptance in april, it'd be great if you could post! it'd put me out of my misery!

i hope it's this week!! prime-us committee meets on wednesday... revisit is this weekend... how do we not know anything? gahhh.

if there are HP-listers out there that received an acceptance in april, it'd be great if you could post! it'd put me out of my misery!

:luck: to all of us. this thread seems kinda dead compared to last year around this time...

:luck: to all of us. this thread seems kinda dead compared to last year around this time...

I'd assume we will hear something no earlier than tomorrow (for Cali people) b/c it is likely nothing was mailed over the weekend (Sat).

Htown...what part of Htown are you from?

I'd assume we will hear something no earlier than tomorrow (for Cali people) b/c it is likely nothing was mailed over the weekend (Sat).

Htown...what part of Htown are you from?

i'm living near the galleria right now.

do you think maybe stuff was sent late last week though? there was no activity as far as i could tell... or maybe they're just prepping stuff for second look and haven't had time to deal with us yet..

i'm living near the galleria right now.

do you think maybe stuff was sent late last week though? there was no activity as far as i could tell... or maybe they're just prepping stuff for second look and haven't had time to deal with us yet..

oh wow...post-oak area...cool. Houston, for all intensive purposes, is my second home.

I live in Philly right now, but all my mail is sent to my parents house in Los Angeles. They definitely were sure I did not receive anything. So, in the mean time, I wait and prepare an update letter just in case I am neither accepted nor rejected.

best of luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them to try and find out more info for you guys...

Hi person-I've-been-communicating-with-from-the-UCSF-office,

On behalf of what seems like a lot of stressed out applicants on the UCSF thread of studentdoctor.net, when do the people on the high priority waitlist hear back about their status? Early enough to come to ASW?

I figure it wouldn't hurt for me to ask for them,
Shemarty

I'll post if she replies. GOOD LUCK!!

I emailed them to try and find out more info for you guys...

Hi person-I've-been-communicating-with-from-the-UCSF-office,

On behalf of what seems like a lot of stressed out applicants on the UCSF thread of studentdoctor.net, when do the people on the high priority waitlist hear back about their status? Early enough to come to ASW?

Shemarty

I'll post if she replies. GOOD LUCK!!

thanks!!

edit: i will surely cry if the words "the class is overbooked" are in your contact's reply.

oh wow...post-oak area...cool. Houston, for all intensive purposes, is my second home.

I live in Philly right now, but all my mail is sent to my parents house in Los Angeles. They definitely were sure I did not receive anything. So, in the mean time, I wait and prepare an update letter just in case I am neither accepted nor rejected.

best of luck to you

well it's not as if i'm in this fancy schmancy condo or anything haha. try to pay for that on a research assistant's salary... :luck:to you too

i emailed them to try and find out more info for you guys...

Hi person-i've-been-communicating-with-from-the-ucsf-office,

on behalf of what seems like a lot of stressed out applicants on the ucsf thread of studentdoctor.net, when do the people on the high priority waitlist hear back about their status? Early enough to come to asw?

shemarty

i'll post if she replies. Good luck!!

thank you shemarty!

UCSF: Applicants are always able to contact our office with any questions or concerns and it is our preference that they do so directly.

Me:
The SDNers seemed like they were driving themselves crazy waiting for news, but didn't want to be a nuisance to the office by calling constantly.

UCSF:
While I appreciate how polite they are being by not calling the office, they should know that calling is fine. Also, I would guess they would prefer to hear the answer for themselves and ask their own questions, as each one has their own situation.

There you have it! Call the office directly if you have questions about your status.

Here's their phone number (from their "contact us" page) for your convenience:
(415) 476-4044

GOOD LUCK!

UCSF: Applicants are always able to contact our office with any questions or concerns and it is our preference that they do so directly.

Me:
The SDNers seemed like they were driving themselves crazy waiting for news, but didn't want to be a nuisance to the office by calling constantly.

UCSF:
While I appreciate how polite they are being by not calling the office, they should know that calling is fine. Also, I would guess they would prefer to hear the answer for themselves and ask their own questions, as each one has their own situation.

There you have it! Call the office directly if you have questions about your status.

Here's their phone number (from their "contact us" page) for your convenience:
(415) 476-4044

GOOD LUCK!

thanks Shemarty...yeah you're pretty awesome :)o I still feel really bad for being mean in the beginning of the process to you).

So for those who are still waiting:
I just called (approx 2 min ago) was informed that letters (A, R, Alt) will be going out over the next 7 to 10 days.
:luck:

thanks Shemarty...yeah you're pretty awesome :)o I still feel really bad for being mean in the beginning of the process to you).

I just called (approx 2 min ago) was informed that letters (A, R, Alt) will be going out over the next 7 to 10 days.

You're lucky I can't remember what you said to me. Now the question is do I want to dig through your *massive* post history to figure it out? ;)

HAHAH, I just called about 2 mins ago too! They must be like Ohhhh YOU people are the crazy SDNers.

and yes, all they did was confirm my address and say the same thing that they told you riceman. i asked whether it was possible that HP-listers could still get acceptances AFTER the revisit weekend, and she said well, the latest you could hear about that is the first week of may. (so, yes? i don't know i kind of don't believe it.)

Last edited:
OMGGGG My heart is skipping multiple beats!

but JOY we have not heard that the class is overbooked!!!

Last edited:

they've conditioned us not to call about our status though! like that guy a few months back who sorta got yelled at mhmm.

I was curious about letters/updates that HPListers have sent to UCSF, and the "outcome"? Me...

Interviewed: Jan
Placed on HPL in March

Update and Additional LORs Sent: April
Still on HPL

Last edited:
hey fellow hp-listers & prime-us applicants:

just an FYI -- because the prime committee meeting is tomorrow, i emailed the admissions office today asking whether hp-list folks who haven't heard final decisions would be kept in the running for prime at the meeting tomorrow. i'll let you know what i hear back...

and kaiarose: i haven't had any sort of outcome other than an empty mailbox, so i don't know how much help my history is! (but if you're curious - I: Nov, LOI sent: Jan, HP letter received: Jan)

hey fellow hp-listers & prime-us applicants:

just an FYI -- because the prime committee meeting is tomorrow, i emailed the admissions office today asking whether hp-list folks who haven't heard final decisions would be kept in the running for prime at the meeting tomorrow. i'll let you know what i hear back...

and kaiarose: i haven't had any sort of outcome other than an empty mailbox, so i don't know how much help my history is! (but if you're curious - I: Nov, LOI sent: Jan, HP letter received: Jan)

i'm interested to see what their response is...because it seems like the two have operated pretty independently of each other thus far.

they've conditioned us not to call about our status though! like that guy a few months back who sorta got yelled at mhmm.

I'm the one that got yelled at :laugh:. Fortunately, I got in a month later. I say go ahead and call. Just be prepared to give a fake name if Nancy starts yelling at you.

i'm interested to see what their response is...because it seems like the two have operated pretty independently of each other thus far.

this blows. so, no response from the admissions office, but I emailed Beth Wilson a similar inquiry and this is the gist:

"Sadly, you will probably not be in the running for PRIME... we have so many applicants that I doubt the committee will be able to hold any spots."

sad news -- i think this means waitlist or rejection for me...

this blows. so, no response from the admissions office, but I emailed Beth Wilson a similar inquiry and this is the gist:

"Sadly, you will probably not be in the running for PRIME... we have so many applicants that I doubt the committee will be able to hold any spots."

sad news -- i think this means waitlist or rejection for me...

wow... i guess they really don't talk to each other then. she was just saying that you will probably not be IF you don't get a final decision....so if you're accepted then you will be right??

wow... i guess they really don't talk to each other then. she was just saying that you will probably not be IF you don't get a final decision....so if you're accepted then you will be right??
Yes, they already sent out emails to those accepted about their chances in PRIME... but you never know!

Yes, they already sent out emails to those accepted about their chances in PRIME... but you never know!

oh when did they send those out?? this was an additional email to the one sent on April 10th??

oh when did they send those out?? this was an additional email to the one sent on April 10th??
yes, I got one after the 10th which basically said i was 2nd tier, probably not getting in.

Yeah, I have a feeling that the admissions office must have told PRIME peeps about the status of PRIMEapplicants by now...

I wrote back to Beth saying ah that's sad, but i'd like to stay on a waitlist if possible. She responded saying you will be! so, seems like she may already know i'm waitlisted?

Rejected from the HP-list, letter dated 4/24/09.
Live in the SF Bay Area.

Its been a rough journey: Interviewed in early October, HP-listed in January, Rejected April. Glad its over.

Yeah, I have a feeling that the admissions office must have told PRIME peeps about the status of PRIMEapplicants by now...

I wrote back to Beth saying ah that's sad, but i'd like to stay on a waitlist if possible. She responded saying you will be! so, seems like she may already know i'm waitlisted?

yikes... well i didn't get that second status update email from PRIME either...although it seems strange that they would send out two emails like that within days of each other.. my guess was that one email went to everybody tier 1 (accepted or not) and another went to everybody in tier 2 (accepted or not)...

but yah, you're right, seems like they already know...eeeeeek.

Rejected from the HP-list, letter dated 4/24/09.
Live in the SF Bay Area.

Its been a rough journey: Interviewed in early October, HP-listed in January, Rejected April. Glad its over.

sorry to hear that :(

do you know where you're off to yet?

sorry to hear that :(

do you know where you're off to yet?

Looks like I'll be leaving CA for U-Michigan unless Stanford lets me in off their list.

Good luck to everyone else. SF is a great school and certainly worth the wait.

Sigh...

Interviewed: Early Feb.
HP: Late March

:( Alternate list... Letter dated 4/27/09
(I live close to SF: Bay Area)

I just checked my mail and found a thin white envelope from UCSF. I thought it would be a rejection letter but was an AL letter.

I have questions for anybody who might know more about AL::confused:

- Do people put on AL have any chance of getting in? How many become AL?
- How is it different from HPL? from what I've gathered it seems like HPL becomes broken down to accepted/AL/rejected?

Thanks!

Sigh...

Interviewed: Early Feb.
HP: Late March

:( Alternate list... Letter dated 4/27/09
(I live close to SF: Bay Area)

I just checked my mail and found a thin white envelope from UCSF. I thought it would be a rejection letter but was an AL letter.

I have questions for anybody who might know more about AL::confused:

- Do people put on AL have any chance of getting in? How many become AL?
- How is it different from HPL? from what I've gathered it seems like HPL becomes broken down to accepted/AL/rejected?

Thanks!

i think in the past AL was divided by two, and the top half had a really good chance of getting in... they don't do that anymore, so who knows...my impression though is that there's always been fairly decent movement on the WL. good luck to ya!

i think in the past AL was divided by two, and the top half had a really good chance of getting in... they don't do that anymore, so who knows...my impression though is that there's always been fairly decent movement on the WL. good luck to ya!

Thanks htown! It's nice to know that acceptance from AL is possible.

It's just crazy that their AL "remains active until the commencement of school on September 8th." :scared: Prolonged agony of waiting!

It's just crazy that their AL "remains active until the commencement of school on September 8th." :scared: Prolonged agony of waiting!

hmmmm...did you interview at Rochester also?

i think most waitlists are like that in terms of movement up until the start of classes. in years past though, if you hadn't heard from UCSF by julyish, they generally tell you that it's a good idea to move on. most of the movement i believe comes right after the may 15th deadline..

i think most waitlists are like that in terms of movement up until the start of classes. in years past though, if you hadn't heard from UCSF by julyish, they generally tell you that it's a good idea to move on. most of the movement i believe comes right after the may 15th deadline..

i know a first year who said that he and a good chunk of his classmates came from the AL -- he got in in the beginning of june, after the 5/15 shake down. so keep up the hope!

weird. i live in sf and no mail. prolonged misery. ick.

No mail here...maybe my letter is in the mail now...maybe they are getting ready to review me.

:xf::xf:

No mail here...maybe my letter is in the mail now...maybe they are getting ready to review me.

:xf::xf:

well the pattern seems to be rejections, followed by waitlists (or HP from a month or two back) and then acceptances... so later news seems to be better news?? although this is driving me crazy not being on the west coast because it always takes an extra day or two for this stuff to make it to TX..

no news here either, but my understanding (i work at UCSF and have talked to some people) is that the letters will either be alternate list or rejections. no more admissions until the waitlist starts to move.

also, i live in san francisco and had no mail, but i called the office and the woman was incredibly nice and said the letter was mailed yesterday.

good luck everyone.

no news here either, but my understanding (i work at UCSF and have talked to some people) is that the letters will either be alternate list or rejections. no more admissions until the waitlist starts to move.

also, i live in san francisco and had no mail, but i called the office and the woman was incredibly nice and said the letter was mailed yesterday.

good luck everyone.

that's not consistent with what admissions was telling us... great. ::headache::

good luck everyone.

yeah...ha..imagine getting accepted tomorrow and then them saying..."well you have 1 day to make plans to be here for 2nd look" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.