2009-2010 Oregon Health & Sciences University (OHSU) Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected from UW post-interview. I'm a little bitter...

But accepted to USC so...

Oh I'm sorry! And I would be bitter too. I've been under consideration since november and am getting more fearful for the end of this month.

But OHSU seems like a pretty similar program to UW, and it's highly ranked in primary care , it seems like it may still be a better option than USC on some levels, not sure what kind of medicine you want to do though...but congrats on USC, at least you know you'll have some options if OHSU wants you too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any idea how much longer invitations for interview are sent out? I submitted my secondary on 11/4 and it was considered complete on 12/3. I have had a status that said I'm on hold for an interview pending further review for about a month now.
 
In the spring time Oregon is beautiful, lush with a flourishing and colorful flora, which, on its mountainous and verdant background, gives everywhere the appearance of a sylvan heaven, a mosaic of flamboyant and flowery plants disseminated amid a coniferous sea. It was my first time West of the Rockies and I immediately fell in love. But I was not there to admire the spellbinding vegetation nor to decide which, of the sky or the rivers, were the bluer: I was there to have an interview at OHSU.

It was yesterday morning. Anyone who's already been to an interview will know what to expect: small breakfast, facts about the school and what it does well, 2 interviews, lunch and tour. All pretty standard so far.

Here's what the students liked:
- The quality of the training.
- Three afternoons off per week.
- It's in Portland! Read my rant about Oregon to know why this is a plus.
- The confidence residency directors have about the strength of the program.
- The availability of physicians and administrators.
- The mass transit system.
- Principles of Clinical Medicine (PCM): students get a lot of exposure to patient care very early on by spending 4 hours each weak working with a practicing physician.
- The diversity of backgrounds and the incorporation of cultural competence into PCM.
- You could get away with not having a car for the first 2 years.

Here's what they didn't like as much:
- It's expensive and don't expect much help from the fin-aid office. You'll be own your own if you want to hunt for scholarships. This means that a lot of students (or at least the ones I had the chance to interact with) graduate with a lot of debt... a lot of debt.

Here's some other information that you might not necessarily get from students. The emphasis is more on primary care than on research, so you might be better off going elsewhere if research is your primary goal. There are research opportunities, but you'll have to go get them yourself. Portland attracts a certain type of person, usually liberal in political orientation. The school, much like the State, is not very racially diverse, if that's something you care about: mainly white, with some Asian and Indian (I know, India is in Asia too), but very few noir and hispanic faces could be seen among the pictures of previous graduates.

All in all, a good experience and a very good school.
 
for those accepted..has anyone receive their acceptance packet in the mail yet? if so..how long after the email?

I'm wondering the same thing... also, is there something we have to do after we received our email to reserve our spot? (it seemed like it was an automatic thing, but just wanted to be sure.)
 
I'm wondering the same thing... also, is there something we have to do after we received our email to reserve our spot? (it seemed like it was an automatic thing, but just wanted to be sure.)

It's been over a month for me and still no acceptance packet. I'm going to give it a bit longer before I call. But yea it takes awhile. And I'm pretty sure you don't have to do anything to confirm acceptance.
 
It's been over a month for me and still no acceptance packet. I'm going to give it a bit longer before I call. But yea it takes awhile. And I'm pretty sure you don't have to do anything to confirm acceptance.

its been over a month and i got nothing either. i wonder if they're trying to bundle financial aid estimates into the acceptance packet.
 
So OHSU's website says the avg MCAT is 31. I have a 30 and think I've only seen one other MCAT on SDN below a 31 with an OHSU interview invite. Anyone thinking the average is changing or do you think it's just the people with high MCATs that are posting their scores on SDN?
 
So OHSU's website says the avg MCAT is 31. I have a 30 and think I've only seen one other MCAT on SDN below a 31 with an OHSU interview invite. Anyone thinking the average is changing or do you think it's just the people with high MCATs that are posting their scores on SDN?
I think it's this; I have two friends with below 30 MCATs. They are IS, however...
 
So OHSU's website says the avg MCAT is 31. I have a 30 and think I've only seen one other MCAT on SDN below a 31 with an OHSU interview invite. Anyone thinking the average is changing or do you think it's just the people with high MCATs that are posting their scores on SDN?

Probably!
 
Is it just me or is OHSU really bad at answering phone calls...even the interview coordinator....

I don't think it's just you.
I got an interview invite yesterday as well (OOS, 3.74, 33).
I left a message yesterday, but I haven't received confirmation yet.

How long do we usually have to wait?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
8 weeks post-interview and nothing. OHSU is slow!!!

This does not bode well. My interview was yesterday and they said it would take 6-8 weeks to get back to us. I really hope that it will be 6 rather than 8, but I wouldn't put my money on it, reading what everyone else has written.
 
I don't think it's just you.
I got an interview invite yesterday as well (OOS, 3.74, 33).
I left a message yesterday, but I haven't received confirmation yet.

How long do we usually have to wait?

I called them on monday and they got back to me today, so I only had to wait for two days. But by the time she called me back my first choice day was already taken...
 
I called them on monday and they got back to me today, so I only had to wait for two days. But by the time she called me back my first choice day was already taken...


Dang that sucks...did she say which dates were still open? I hope my first choice day is
 
Dang that sucks...did she say which dates were still open? I hope my first choice day is

Well my options were March 30th or April 6th, 7th, or 8th. The 30th was taken so my next choice was the 6th and that was still open...someone else here mentioned they were given different options though, so I'm unsure what else is still open...
 
I called them on monday and they got back to me today, so I only had to wait for two days. But by the time she called me back my first choice day was already taken...

That's why I had to interview on March 9th. My first choice was Feb 23rd, but by the time they called me back, it was already taken.
 
So OHSU's website says the avg MCAT is 31. I have a 30 and think I've only seen one other MCAT on SDN below a 31 with an OHSU interview invite. Anyone thinking the average is changing or do you think it's just the people with high MCATs that are posting their scores on SDN?


Im OOS..accepted with MCAT of 27
 
So OHSU's website says the avg MCAT is 31. I have a 30 and think I've only seen one other MCAT on SDN below a 31 with an OHSU interview invite. Anyone thinking the average is changing or do you think it's just the people with high MCATs that are posting their scores on SDN?

I'm OOS with 29...interviewed mid-December and accepted Jan 26th.
 
Has anyone who has gotten an interview invite this week been able to schedule their interview yet? I called and left a message on Tuesday but I still haven't heard back from the coordinator. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for her to get back to us?

It is getting kind of annoying because my airline/hotel prices has gone up $100 since then.....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those of you who have been admitted - did you emphasize a commitment to primary care during your interviews?

Thanks for sharing.

Ascenda
 
Those of you who have been admitted - did you emphasize a commitment to primary care during your interviews?

Thanks for sharing.

Ascenda

I did. It sort of depends on who you get for your interviews.

Can anyone verify that the online genetics class from OSU counts for the genetics requirement?
 
I did. It sort of depends on who you get for your interviews.

Can anyone verify that the online genetics class from OSU counts for the genetics requirement?

Yes. I am taking Genetics (BI311) through OSU's e-campus this term - I need to study this weekend for the final. When I interviewed, Lori Toner confirmed that the class meet's OHSU's genetics requirement.
 
Has anyone who has gotten an interview invite this week been able to schedule their interview yet? I called and left a message on Tuesday but I still haven't heard back from the coordinator. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for her to get back to us?

It is getting kind of annoying because my airline/hotel prices has gone up $100 since then.....

I called on Tuesday around 12:00 PM and received confirmation on Wednesday afternoon for an interview on 3/30.

I'm so excited to visit Portland 🙂
 
Have any of you actually gotten through to talk directly when you called the interview coordinator? Or... did everyone here leave a message?
 
Have any of you actually gotten through to talk directly when you called the interview coordinator? Or... did everyone here leave a message?

I left a message saying my name, AMCAS ID, phone number, and my preference.

The coordinator called me back, but I didn't pick up, so she left me a message confirming my interview date and information about the interview day.
 
lol! Yeah, its pretty much impossible. Just leave a message and she'll call back.
 
So....quick question for those of you that have had an interview at OHSU. I wrote something before about this but I interviewed mid-December and STILL haven't heard back from the school with a decision. They told us that it would be 9 weeks MAX to hear back and its now been at least 12. I saw my pre-med advisor yesterday and she said it could be until mid may to hear from them....is this the impression u guys got from the interview?? I was under the impression that we would hear something from them within 6-9 weeks and if we were put on hold then we would find out one way or the other mid may. Thanks!
 
So....quick question for those of you that have had an interview at OHSU. I wrote something before about this but I interviewed mid-December and STILL haven't heard back from the school with a decision. They told us that it would be 9 weeks MAX to hear back and its now been at least 12. I saw my pre-med advisor yesterday and she said it could be until mid may to hear from them....is this the impression u guys got from the interview?? I was under the impression that we would hear something from them within 6-9 weeks and if we were put on hold then we would find out one way or the other mid may. Thanks!

I also interviewed in mid-Dec and heard back after week 8 (hold). Have you checked your OHSU page? When you are hold status they don't send an email, they just update your page. If that's not it, maybe the person you interviewed with is taking a really long time to send in an evaluation . . .

Either way, I feel your pain. It's really hard to wait this long.
 
I got financial aid papers today in the mail, and I'm not sure what to do with them..Should I wait until I hear back before filling them out? One of the questions asks what "standard enrollment plan" I'm in, but I'm not sure what this is referring to?
 
I would only emphasize it if it comes up naturally in the conversation, or if it's really important to you. Don't force it just because they're a big PC school.

Those of you who have been admitted - did you emphasize a commitment to primary care during your interviews?

Thanks for sharing.

Ascenda
 
I got financial aid papers today in the mail, and I'm not sure what to do with them..Should I wait until I hear back before filling them out? One of the questions asks what "standard enrollment plan" I'm in, but I'm not sure what this is referring to?

What's your status right now? Post-interview? It probably couldn't hurt to just send them in, if it isn't too much of a hassle for you.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the papers are probably asking which enrollment plan applies to you. They have more info on the plans here: http://www.ohsu.edu/finaid/. I believe the "standard" plan just means that you will be a traditional, full-time student.
 
Those of you who have been admitted - did you emphasize a commitment to primary care during your interviews?

Thanks for sharing.

Ascenda

I don't think I ever stated, "I want to be a primary care physician." I did say, though, that primary care does interest me a lot since I'm from a small town in Montana but that I needed to explore other areas in medical school before making my decision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stewajor, if your status page does not say Decision: Hold, you need to call them up.
 
Does getting an interview at this point mean that I am vying for a spot on the waiting list. Or... Will I have a fair shot at regular admissions?

I was complete in December...
 
I'd say you have as good a shot as anyone at this point.

Thanks. That makes me feel better knowing that I am not fighting for spots already taken.

Can someone describe their interview day experience as well as what I should check out while in Portland?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.