2009 western university..anyone yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i sent my supplemental on 10/20/08 and received the acknowledgment letter on 10/28/08 by email :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

anyone already sent thier applications to pharmcas for western university, can you mention your stats, :scared:

I dont mean to come accross as a mean person, but.... why would you want to know about other people's stats? does it REALLY matter? is it going to make you feel better about applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent everything in at the last nanosecond - Friday afternoon overnight delivery. :luck:

We can have the supplemental app postmarked on Monday right? Or does it have to be received by that date? :scared::eek:

We can have the supplemental app postmarked on Monday right? Or does it have to be received by that date? :scared::eek:

Sorry, I don't know, cinnamonroll.:( :( I thought they had to receive it by Monday, but I'm probably most likely wrong.

Sorry, I don't know, cinnamonroll.:( :( I thought they had to receive it by Monday, but I'm probably most likely wrong.

I just made it to the post office before it closes at 2pm! Yea, I have a big feeling that they want it by Nov 3. They didn't state it specifically anywhere on the website, but on the supplemental app it says that they're not responsible for mail delivery delays. So I guess that was the big hint. I sent it via Express Mail and they said the school should receive it no later than 3pm on Monday. Haha, I was panicking earlier so I tried calling all sorts of number listed on the website to confirm this, but the school is closed of course!

I dont mean to come accross as a mean person, but.... why would you want to know about other people's stats? does it REALLY matter? is it going to make you feel better about applying?

can someone shed light on this question.

Its something ive been wondering about ever since i stumbled onto this forum.

can someone shed light on this question.

Its something ive been wondering about ever since i stumbled onto this forum.

I think it has to be the whole 'make me feel better about my stats' phenomenon, as if - well, someone's got an interview with 3.3, I must be getting one with my 3.7 GPA. In reality, I've learned that stats only play a factor to a certain extent and ECs and strong essays can make or break your application. This is why I am neither curious nor worried about other people's stats.

I'm still filling out my supplemental application and I was gonna send everything and postmark on the 3rd. Are you sure about them receiving it by the 3rd? How can I know for sure? I don't know if I should even bother continuing :(

I'm still filling out my supplemental application and I was gonna send everything and postmark on the 3rd. Are you sure about them receiving it by the 3rd? How can I know for sure? I don't know if I should even bother continuing :(

I tried calling them today about this, but no luck. I thought it was postmark too, but on the app it says that they're not responsible for delayed mail delivery. I guess that means that they want in the office on Monday. I panicked and finished it asap and ran to the post office right before it closed.

i called the admin office on friday afternoon and spoke to kathy to confirm the postmark date.
she said nov 1st.

I tried calling them today about this, but no luck. I thought it was postmark too, but on the app it says that they're not responsible for delayed mail delivery. I guess that means that they want in the office on Monday. I panicked and finished it asap and ran to the post office right before it closed.

I thought it was postmarked too then I wanted to make sure, so I was looking all over the website, and it said it wasn't responsible for delayed mail and was thought it was better not to risk it, so I got everything turned in Thursday morning and had it overnighted. The tracking said it was received Friday. Good thing you got it in on time just in case. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

What if you get the packet to the Admissions Office by Monday Nov 3 through a delivery service company that offers same day delivery (they do exist though I must say the price is rather steep- I think the cheapest is about $60 and that's if you live 45 minutes from the campus)?? But then ab3capri said that the postmark deadline is Nov 1? I would think that as long as the packet physically gets to the office by Nov 3 you should be fine regardless of the date it was sent... So if you're willing to spend some extra money I say you still have a shot of getting your app in!! You can call the office Monday morning to double check. Good luck! As a side note, I wish Western made it more clear for applicants about the the deadline (postmark vs. received by) so we have one less thing to worry about. SIGH.

Yea, I agree that Western should make this clear about the deadline date on the website and on the supplemental app. I was thinking of driving to campus (since I live 30 minutes away) and drop it off at the office, but I won't probably make it in time for my class. Can't skip class that day because I'll be delivering a speech for my public speaking class.

are they open on sunday? how do you submit it in person? helpppppp

Have you worked during the school year? If so, how many hours per week? If admitted, do you plan or need to work while attending the School of Pharmacy? If so, how many hours per week?

why is there such a huge gap of space for this question??? :smuggrin:
A: Yes, i worked at blah blah for 20 hours per week. Yes, I will work while attending pharmacy school for 20 hours per week.....

Have you worked during the school year? If so, how many hours per week? If admitted, do you plan or need to work while attending the School of Pharmacy? If so, how many hours per week?

A: Yes, i worked at blah blah for 20 hours per week. Yes, I will work while attending pharmacy school for 20 hours per week.....

Seriously, my gap is probably bigger since my answer was no...
Does volunteering count as working? it does take up quite a bit of my week, but i didnt want to risk it in case it wasn't...
But i do have a badge and filled out an employee paper for a flu shot. DOES it count??? do i need to rip open my envelop again? :eek:

so is it true western doesn't accept a nov 3 postmark?? can someone else confirm this. im still working on my questions :(

so is it true western doesn't accept a nov 3 postmark?? can someone else confirm this. im still working on my questions :(

well.. i dont think anyone can confirm this because its not specified anywhere on the website nor the application. Everything else is just objective. The only thing we can do is wait till tomorrow and give them a call.

i called the admin office on friday afternoon and spoke to kathy to confirm the postmark date.
she said nov 1st.

are you sure???:(
november 1 isnt stated anywhere so it would be completely unfair...

On the PharmCAS school information page it clearly states the Supplemental Application Deadline is Nov 3, 2008, that's in writing and that's what I'm going to stick by...

Just called and I am CONFIRMING that NOV 3rd is the POSTMARKED date. :D:D

Then I must be freaking out for nothing? Oh well, there goes my $12.60. :laugh:

just called, they said postmark by nov 3, now back to proofreading my questions. im so glad that i dont have to drive 7 hrs to drop off my app:)

Hi guys. I'm a P1 at Western. There are probably a few reasons why AdCom & faculty interviewers are interested in whether you plan to work. My advisor told me, for example, that he personally likes it when ppl say they do plan to work bc experience outside the classroom is important in forming your education. They like to look for well rounded ppl who will be active outside the classroom. That being said, it won't hurt your app if you say you don't want to work during the school year. Whatever you choose to say, yes or no, just explain WHY or why not. I think this will tell more about you than just your yes or no answer.

Seriously, my gap is probably bigger since my answer was no...
Does volunteering count as working? it does take up quite a bit of my week, but i didnt want to risk it in case it wasn't...
But i do have a badge and filled out an employee paper for a flu shot. DOES it count??? do i need to rip open my envelop again? :eek:

hey Hippocampus, in my personal opinion, I would use volunteering as work experience if it took up a significant amount of my week. It doesn't matter whether you get paid or not in order for it to count as work, just if you are significantly involved in it. Like I stated in my previous post, some of the AdCom & interviewers are looking for ppl who are actively involved in things outside of school, so I would use every chance to highlight my extracurriculars as much as possible. But, this one question won't make or break your chances of getting in, so don't worry about it too much.

Sometimes it just helps you figure out what the schools are looking for.... for example, if someone is waitlisted w/3.8 gpa but little extracurriculars.... or someone w/stellar grades but no pharmacy experience got accepted over someone w/ok grades but some experience.... the whole process is pretty confusing so you never know for sure, but yea, comparing stats can shed some light and give some hope to some ppl....

Just received a phone call from Western today informing me of an interview offer for Dec. 6.! :)

OMG, you guys have an interview's day already? I am so nervous now. I know I will have less chances than ppl who are residents there :(

OMG, you guys have an interview's day already? I am so nervous now. I know I will have less chances than ppl who are residents there :(

I don't think they favor in-states over the out-of-states, although most of the applicants are from California. Which state are you from by the way (just curious)?

I had just received an email from them stating that they have received my supplemental application. I guess I should not be aiming for the Dec 6 interview since I submitted mine in the very last minute.

I don't think they favor in-states over the out-of-states, although most of the applicants are from California. Which state are you from by the way (just curious)?

I had just received an email from them stating that they have received my supplemental application. I guess I should not be aiming for the Dec 6 interview since I submitted mine in the very last minute.

Is it better to interview early at Western? It does not seem that they are on a rolling-admissions basis.

For those for who received interviews, if you don't mind can you share your stats?

Is it better to interview early at Western? It does not seem that they are on a rolling-admissions basis.

For those for who received interviews, if you don't mind can you share your stats?

Honestly, I'm still confused about their admission process. I heard it's somewhat rolling (kind of, but not really), but I'm still not sure. I think it's rolling in terms of how good your stats/app are, so those who got interview invites for Dec 6, then their stats must be superb along with outstanding extracurricular background.

i just got an invitation for an interview on Dec. 6. Anyone know what the format of the interview is?

I got a call this morning at 10 for an invitation to Dec. 6 interview.

i just got an invitation for an interview on Dec. 6. Anyone know what the format of the interview is?

On the day of the interview, it includes a brief introduction by one of the faculty members. Then, you'll be split into two groups. One group will be doing the essay portion first, take a tour next, and then the interview last, while the other group the interview first, tour second, and essay portion last. I'm not sure if it is going to be the same process as last year, but that was the format last year.

Also, check out the Interview Feedback page for WesternU on this website. It gives you a good idea of the questions that they had ask in past interviews. Here's the link:
http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=351

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer them. :) Congrats on getting the interviews. :D

Can the invited people list when you mailed your Western Supp and submitted PharmCAS?

I am pretty sure that western works on rolling admissions since all the people that i have talked to submitted their app in June / July and supp in August or so. So hopefully those of us who submitted it later on during the cycle will get the upcoming dates :)

I sent in my app in the first week of August, and supplemental near the end of August. I got an interview for Dec. 6th. Is it really rolling admissions? They kept sending me letters saying that my application was incomplete, so that definitely held up my application.

Interviewing at Western early gives you a higher chance of being placed on hold, given that they want to review all the applicants after all the interviews. So most likely towards the end you'll be forgotten and you'll be sent a rejection letter. Just my opinion from experience. No bashers please.

Interviewing at Western early gives you a higher chance of being placed on hold, given that they want to review all the applicants after all the interviews. So most likely towards the end you'll be forgotten and you'll be sent a rejection letter. Just my opinion from experience. No bashers please.

You can't make a post like that and not get "bashed". Where did you get that information from? I don't know how it works in West Kansas, but I'm almost sure that rolling admissions does not work that way here in California.

You can't make a post like that and not get "bashed". Where did you get that information from? I don't know how it works in West Kansas, but I'm almost sure that rolling admissions does not work that way here in California.

Like I said, that's just my opinion. I'm not making any claims on anything. What part of that didn't you understand? Seriously, there are some really obsessive compulsive people here on this forum.

Well, Western U is not doing rolling admissions in a sense that they are not reviewing any applications until after the due date. After the deadline, they start reviewing the applications and for every application that the admission committee thinks is a good applicant gets offered an interview invitation.

However, they can't offer interviews to everybody (~400 interview invites and according to the Western U website, ~2,000 PharmCAS applications were submitted to Western U). In addition, they don't review every single application before sending out the interview invitations for the first interview date. They are sending the invites as they continue to review every application.

Lots of people got put on hold after each interview. Whether you get in or not depends on how well you did on your interview comparing to everybody else. So, if you didn't stand out so much comparing to the other applicants, then you will likely be put on hold. Once the acceptance invitations have been extended, the adcom puts the rest on alternate list (put on waiting list after interview). The chances of getting pulled depends on how high you are ranked on the list (your ranking based on application and interview).

In my class, we have a couple of people who got pulled off from the waiting list. Some got pulled off the waiting list on the first day of school.

Like I said, that's just my opinion. I'm not making any claims on anything. What part of that didn't you understand? Seriously, there are some really obsessive compulsive people here on this forum.

LOL, why are you getting defensive? I understood your entire post. All I did was ask where you got the information from and then I stated my opinion, and now I'm obsessive compulsive?

You need to check yourself first before you go out and lash at everyone else.

LOL, why are you getting defensive? I understood your entire post. All I did was ask where you got the information from and then I stated my opinion, and now I'm obsessive compulsive?

You need to check yourself first before you go out and lash at everyone else.

As far as I am concerned, I was simply answering a question to the best of knowledge and experience. Though I knew there were people who was going to disagree with my views and jump all over me for that (in this case you proved my point). Still, I felt the need to share my experience and thoughts in order for people to make a better informed decision in regards to schools they choose or the way they choose to approach the application process. I do not understand what information you are inquiring about. As I have stated before that was my opinion. In regards to your comments about me from Kansas, I find it to be completely inappropriate and uneccessary. I do wish you the best of luck of getting into a school of your choice whether you choose to use my thoughts or not as I have provided on this forum.

PS: Thank you hgno003 for your positive and professional feedback. I hope to see more of these on the forum in the future.

Last edited:
does western only call you for an interview or is call+email and/or letter via snail-mail??? thankx

does western only call you for an interview or is call+email and/or letter via snail-mail??? thankx

western only calls for interviews. just letting you guys know, i canceled my dec. 6th interview so that means extra space for you guys out there! good luck!!:)