2009 western university..anyone yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The ball is in their court until August.....I can't let not knowing if I am getting in affect me any longer. Thank god I am on spring break, so I have a few days to gather myself and re-focus my energy and goals. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't even know who to believe at admissions in Western. A couple of us in this forum called Western this week and they said they will be sending out another round of acceptance before making up their waitlist, but then everyone is receiving alternate letters this weekend. Honestly, I think at this point, most of us just need straight answers. And it seems to me that everyone is on the alternate list, no one is on hold right? And did anyone get post-interview rejections? Seriously, we need straight answers.

you're making an assumption that everyone who interviewed, posts here.:thumbdown:

i was on the alternate list last year, and it eventually closed. my advice, plan for the worse case scenario, which for me was having to reapply. anyway, i just sent my notification to decline my acceptance to western on friday, so maybe that'll provide a little glimmer of hope to someone waiting. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
you're making an assumption that everyone who interviewed, posts here.:thumbdown:

Actually, I do KNOW, and most of us DO KNOW, that not everyone who interviewed, got rejected or accepted posts in this forum, which is why it is stressful. If every applicant participates in this forum then most of us wouldn't be so stressed and anxious because we would get a good idea of where we stand, but this is not the case. I'm saying that I am optimistic, and anticipate for the best, yet at the same time I am tired, not impatient, just worn down. I totally need a vacation.:)

Alternate and Hold list are different things. The hold list is a list of interviewed applicants that will be re-evaluated after a certain date for acceptance. I'm guessing that it's to see how you did comparing to other applicants who interviewed at later dates. If you're not taken off hold, then those interviewed applicants are placed on alternate list (aka wait list) where those applicants will be pulled off when there is a seat available. I do not know how many applicants got pulled off the wait list, but I knew an applicant that got pulled off in July. I'm not sure if WesternU rejects people after interview, but they may have rejected applicants that didn't receive an interview. I assume that there is a certain ranking for the alternate list, but I can't speak for the admissions committee. I remembered one of the admission counselors explaining how the acceptance/hold/alternate list goes when I attended my interview. The details about those lists are in your interview day orientation book.

For those who are still waiting, I know it's difficult, but try your best to wait. Like ab3capri said, I would prepare for the worst case scenario (not getting accepted). Plan what you are going to do next year (work more, take classes, what schools to apply next year, etc.). It's something to do.

I hope this answer your questions. Again, it's from past experience. :)

maybe the ones that are on the alternate (whether its ranked or not) should send in a letter of intent and maybe an additional LOR.

I sent in additional information and documents.

i was on hold after the 1.24 interview and was acceptd last week.

good luck!

i hope this helps.

maybe the ones that are on the alternate (whether its ranked or not) should send in a letter of intent and maybe an additional LOR.

I sent in additional information and documents.

i was on hold after the 1.24 interview and was acceptd last week.

good luck!

i hope this helps.

who did you send the additional documents to? and what do you mean by a letter of intent?

who did you send the additional documents to? and what do you mean by a letter of intent?

A letter of intent is a letter stating why you want to go to the school and why you think you're a good fit for the program. If it's been awhile since your interview you can explain what you've learned about yourself and/or pharmacy since then, or maybe how you've become a stronger applicant. It should basically say why you love Western and why they should love/choose you. To whom you would send it, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it will just end up in your file and they will review it with the rest of your info.

A letter of intent is a letter stating why you want to go to the school and why you think you're a good fit for the program. If it's been awhile since your interview you can explain what you've learned about yourself and/or pharmacy since then, or maybe how you've become a stronger applicant. It should basically say why you love Western and why they should love/choose you. To whom you would send it, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it will just end up in your file and they will review it with the rest of your info.

is this new for this year? I don't recall there was a letter of intent for last year.

is this new for this year? I don't recall there was a letter of intent for last year.

I don't think it is necessary or else Western would've mentioned it to their applicants. I would call and double check before sending out these documents.

No one requires you to do a letter of intent. It's just something you take upon yourself to show that you're really interested in this school and if you get accepted that you'll go to their school. It just shows continue interest and how much you really want to go there. You don't have to do it unless you want to. Some people believe that when they look at your application again, it just gives them something extra to think about.

Is it allowed for us to send in all of these additional documents? I left out some significant information from my applications that I would really like to emphasize now, but I'm afraid they won't allow it and will not take it into consideration.

Is it allowed for us to send in all of these additional documents? I left out some significant information from my applications that I would really like to emphasize now, but I'm afraid they won't allow it and will not take it into consideration.

It's just your choice to send in the letter. I doubt they'll just toss it, they'll probably read it and either like what you have to say and take it into consideration or don't really care and just attach it to your file. I don't think it'll hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)

it never hurts to try.

I sent one in as well. I wanted the Admissions Committee know how I continued to strive as a pre-pharm candidate and any extra information I was unable to put in application back in July~ As previous posters have stated, it is not required.

Hi all,
Is anyone here looking for a roommate/housemate?
I'm from socal and I will be attending WesternU.
I am searching for other female students to live with this fall.
PM me if interested. :luck:

Got my Alt. list letter today. No tears cause I knew it was coming. Thanks God for SDN for getting a heads up. :p

Hi all,
Is anyone here looking for a roommate/housemate?
I'm from socal and I will be attending WesternU.
I am searching for other female students to live with this fall.
PM me if interested. :luck:

finally, some talk about housing! I was wondering why we still haven't gotten any word on the roommate finder thing, but now I realized that the class roster probably isn't even fully decided b/c of the alternate list and whatnot.

Got my Alt. list letter today. No tears cause I knew it was coming. Thanks God for SDN for getting a heads up. :p

Don't worry, I'm going to decline my offer of admissions. There will be one more seat available! ;)

Don't worry, I'm going to decline my offer of admissions. There will be one more seat available! ;)

sorry but can I ask why are you declining your seat I thought u was amped to go.

Montclair -
Did you decide to attend USN rather than Western?
If so, I am in the same position, and am more than likely going to choose USN. :) What made you want to go to USN over Western?

If you choose USN vs Western I dont knock your decision given if I get the opportunity to get into USN (still waiting-post interview) I will choose it as well b/c of less years and lesser tuition its almost $40,000 a year at western ouch.

true you save money but frankly I think you get a better education from going to a 4 year school(more time to study, plus you have time to integrate your work experience during the school year). Plus, you can more easily find a rotation and eventual work in SoCal.

If the alternate list is not ranked then how will they select who gets the seat, I'm sure it's not random. :confused:

If the alternate list is not ranked then how will they select who gets the seat, I'm sure it's not random. :confused:

one of my pharmacist said that people still have points...and they are based off of point values on each alternate

oh and by the way..does anybody remember from the interview how many people got pulled off the alternate list and out of how many?

oh and by the way..does anybody remember from the interview how many people got pulled off the alternate list and out of how many?

was it 60/120 last year? i don't know that number just came in my head. i could be wrong.

was it 60/120 last year? i don't know that number just came in my head. i could be wrong.

hmmm for some reason i remember her saying 28? or high 20s...but i dont remember out of how many...lol

if you're right...thats pretty HIGH haha...i am praying every night....

That's assuming only 120 people were placed on the alternate list and everyone else post-interviewed got rejected? It seems everyone got placed on the alternate list though, has anyone received a rejection letter?

That's assuming only 120 people were placed on the alternate list and everyone else post-interviewed got rejected? It seems everyone got placed on the alternate list though, has anyone received a rejection letter?

I don't think anyone has received a post interview rejection.

If that's the case, aren't we probably looking at upwards of 60/300?

upwards for denominator or numerator? hehehe.....either way...it's better than rejection right?

I also remember a number in the mid 50s for the number pulled of the alternate list. Remember, not everyone pulled from alternate decides to go and some people decline alternate status altogether. The number mentioned for the 20s seems like a legitimate amount for the number of people actually filling the class.

i kinda recall the lady saying that they fill their alternate list seat up to their class size, so 120. i'm not sure but somehow that's just what's in my head.

i wrote down that 35 alternates got pulled off the list and got accepted/accepted their offers last year.

i wrote down that 35 alternates got pulled off the list and got accepted/accepted their offers last year.

Thanks alot for that info Krazy!!! But unfortunately that does not seem like alot :( :( :( assuming that out of 434 interviews, and it appears that no one was post rejected, then that means we are looking at 35/about 300?? (subtracting the 120 that they have already fullfilled) :(
Hopefully I am wrong...but that is what it seems like....

but I recall from my interview on Dec. 6th, that they said, they anticipate to have 120, but accept about 196 in reality, because of the alternates and the people who really dont accept. but, I notice alot of things are different from last year, and alot different than what they said at the interviews, so, who knows whats really going to happen.... :(

All we can do is...wait and hope for the best! :)

But definitely, if anyone has ANY info to share, please do so! :) Thank you! :)

They said they cannot give the status over the phone whether you are accepted alternate or rejected but should expect something end of this week.

this friday is due date for the deposits for the latest rounds of acceptances.

this friday is due date for the deposits for the latest rounds of acceptances.
but for those who do not know whether they are accepted or not it isnt maybe some will forget more room for us or decline by then

Called they said End of this week we should know our results

So you're saying that the "alternate" letter we received are an application to be on the alternate list which will consists of around 120 people? The rest of the post-interviewed people will be rejected?

I hope everyone on alternate list in here gets in. Like someone said, the end of this week is when the the deposit is due for those who recently got accepted. Some on the alternate list should hear something probably by the next week or two. I believe USC has yet to send out acceptances for their March 21st interview so keep your fingers crossed. I know it's tough for your alternates. I've been through this last year. Good luck.

Last edited:
Called they said End of this week we should know our results

I'm a little confused.:confused: So "alternates" (people who received the alternate letters last Friday & this Monday) will know if they are rejected or stay as an alternate by the end of this week? Then what's the point of sending out alternate letter when we can still get rejected. I thought once we get the alternate letters, we wait for the next available seat. :confused:

I'm a little confused.:confused: So "alternates" (people who received the alternate letters last Friday & this Monday) will know if they are rejected or stay as an alternate by the end of this week? Then what's the point of sending out alternate letter when we can still get rejected. I thought once we get the alternate letters, we wait for the next available seat. :confused:

I was confused to. Maybe the person told them the wrong info. The only thing I can think of is this Friday is the deadline for people to accept their acceptance. If they don't accept then admissions has to fill those spots with alternates, but I would think they would come next week not this friday on the same day they find out who isn't going to accept.