2010-2011 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Docjlud, you referred to a first year website, which one is that? Can you please send me a link. I would highly appreciate it! :D

Thanks in advance

Or just post it here! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have the book list off of the first year website, and i already bought Essential clinical Anatomy (but no web access)

1. It might change, so don't go out and buy anything yet.

2. Essential Clinical Anatomy is a paperweight. Nobody in our class read it, mostly because BRS says in < 300 pages what it takes that POS to say in over 1000. Time is money.

The only essential textbook you'll need is Netter's atlas of anatomy. Other than that, class notes and BRS will suffice for the first semester. Again, all of this is null and void if they end up changing things for you all next year.

BRS anatomy is worth it's weight in gold. The quiz sections at the end of each chapter are probably the best thing about the book. On occasion, exam questions would be lifted right out of the BRS.

Essentials of Clinical Anatomy isn't that awful. If BRS has one draw back, it's that its diagrams are small and vague. I used ECA for the third block (pelvis and abdomen), and I found it to be useful. I still used BRS a lot more, however. I'd recommend borrowing a copy or just using a friend's copy when you feel you need another source. Definitely don't buy the thing though.

But ultimately, you'll discover that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for you. Don't take any of this advice as gospel. Experiment and find your groove, and stick with it.

Thanks the replies cweave and neatloaf.... Im just trying get a headstart in anatomy bc i know how time consuming it is and i havnt really taken any anatomy courses so i wanna get goin with it and i dont mind buying any books that i can use later for review for step 1....

I think i will go ahead and get BRS and maybe netter's atlas.....

Thanks again

Thanks the replies cweave and neatloaf.... Im just trying get a headstart in anatomy bc i know how time consuming it is and i havnt really taken any anatomy courses so i wanna get goin with it and i dont mind buying any books that i can use later for review for step 1....

I think i will go ahead and get BRS and maybe netter's atlas.....

Thanks again

I wouldn't bother worrying about buying books and starting serious review for anatomy or step 1 quite yet. It is a ton of info, but you will have the time once medical school starts to learn it.
Not to mention, anatomy classes from different medical schools can teach the material differently and focus on certain areas that other schools glass over. Sitting there pouring over an anatomy book trying to memorize terms this summer is completely useless from what I am told. Many medical students do not take anatomy before going into medical school (that is why it is not a premed req...).

As far as the steps go, you would be lucky if about 10% of the material on your Step1 will be anatomy from what I have seen. Because at least 80% comes from second year classes like Micro, Path and Pharm. It is pointless to try and memorize information for it now. There is no way you would remember 99% of it when test time comes around two years from now.

This advice has been repeated to me by numerous medical students from many different medical schools. Use your time this summer to relax, get situated, get your paperwork in and have some free time. Once school starts, things like working out, hanging out with friends or going on trips become activities you have to budget in. Don't take that for granted now.

If you spend this coming summer reviewing anatomy, you're doing it wrong. I was an anthropology major who hadn't taken anatomy and had little background in cell biology, and I did fine. Absolutely, under no circumstances, don't do anything other than have fun from May until August.

Last edited:
Lol that sounds like a good plan to me! I wasnt planning on going crazy or ne thing (im not that much of a gunner) but i enjoy studying anatomy and if im gonna do it anyways i might as well use the materials that im gonna use next year.... I can assure u that vacationing is my top priority :)

Thanks for the responses

Lol that sounds like a good plan to me! I wasnt planning on going crazy or ne thing (im not that much of a gunner) but i enjoy studying anatomy and if im gonna do it anyways i might as well use the materials that im gonna use next year.... I can assure u that vacationing is my top priority :)

Thanks for the responses

What all true gunners say. :laugh:

They have had unspoken policy changes this year. Their class was full weeks ago. I spoke directly with a member of the Adcom. He said everyone currently on hold will be moved directly to a ranked wait-list and be notified of their general status at some point Mid-April. Big change compared to previous years where they would under accept and then fill class from hold list as usual. As for when that will be and if they really will notify all of us, I have no idea. To be realistic, I wouldn't expect an acceptance here until after May 15th, when most wait-list movement occurs.

I just called the office of admissions to see if they had any more information on this. Basically, as Butler said, the class is full. For those of us who are on hold, we'll either be rejected or placed on the alternate list. The admissions committee is still trying to decide who gets on the alternate list and who gets rejected, and they hope to be done deciding sometime in the last week of April or the first week of May.

I'm assuming that the alternate list will be ranked. Otherwise, how would they know who to accept when a spot opens up? I doubt they'd want to revisit all of the alternate list applicants' files every time they had to accept someone.

EDIT: In case anyone else wants to call the office of admissions and has a hard time finding the number, here's where I found it: http://www.med.ufl.edu/about/admin.shtml

I just called the office of admissions to see if they had any more information on this. Basically, as Butler said, the class is full. For those of us who are on hold, we'll either be rejected or placed on the alternate list. The admissions committee is still trying to decide who gets on the alternate list and who gets rejected, and they hope to be done deciding sometime in the last week of April or the first week of May.

I'm assuming that the alternate list will be ranked. Otherwise, how would they know who to accept when a spot opens up? I doubt they'd want to revisit all of the alternate list applicants' files every time they had to accept someone.

EDIT: In case anyone else wants to call the office of admissions and has a hard time finding the number, here's where I found it: http://www.med.ufl.edu/about/admin.shtml

Thank you for the info! I guess we have to hope for the alternate list! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well emails are going out. I was placed in the alternate list. Better than rejection :) . Good luck to all of you waiting! :luck:

I got the same e-mail :(. I question how many people do they actually reject...

No news, I think we will only see movement after May 15th. I interviewed in December and this has to be the longest wait, I really want to go to UF but I don't want to have to rush into everything at the end of the summer.

Just for the record I also interviewed in December, mid-December to be exact.

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and just wanted to share the news that I was put on the alternate list today and had my interview in March. Just hoping for the best and good luck to all those that are waiting!

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and just wanted to share the news that I was put on the alternate list today and had my interview in March. Just hoping for the best and good luck to all those that are waiting!

Same here, alt list, interviewed in march.

Been on hold since Nov. and no e-mail yet. :( Wonder if they'll send rejections out later or are just really considering where to place people on alt. list. Really hope it's the latter.

Alt list today, Interview Jan. How many people get on waitlist? and how many people get off waitlist? Do we get to know where we are on the ranking? How can one find out?

Anyone else get put on the WL after Tuesday? Hard to believe only 5 people on SDN made it. I assume they're still sorting through the hold list and trying to rank the WL, but does anyone know for sure or the significance of already being put on the WL?

I got put on the waitlist as well, interviewed in February.

So did anyone get any call from the waitlist? Has most of the movement started or will start soon?

Last edited:
So did anyone get any call from the waitlist? Has most of the movement started or will start soon?

I have no clue and am wondering about this as well. Last year, they started calling people right after the 15th. Don't know what's going on this year.

There is hope =) !!!!!! I got the call early today, since Uf was my top choice I withdrew my other acceptance and I'm now officially part of UF com class of 2015. So hang there.

There is hope =) !!!!!! I got the call early today, since Uf was my top choice I withdrew my other acceptance and I'm now officially part of UF com class of 2015. So hang there.

Congrats!

I wish there were more people on SDN that are on the waitlist so we can see what kind of movement there is. Hard to tell how far down on the list they have gotten...

Congratulations prometea...just out of curiousity and I think that it will help everyone on the wait list judge there position (even though there supposedly is no "list"), would you mind posting your credentials (i.e. MCAT score, etc...). I feel that based on this information, if you are alright with disclosing it, your fellow wait listers who havent been accepted yet will be able to judge their position more clearly (i.e. it will give us a point of reference). It's been a long wait guys (about a full year for me at least and I am sure for most of you) and for those of you whose future is resting solely on the decision of one medical school to move you from the wait list or not, your not alone. Keep it up and dont fold under the pressure. I am already a month into studying for the MCAT again and if I can do it, you can to.

Well actually there is a list and it is ranked. The rank list is secret though so we're not suppose to know. I don't think the alt list is an academic number game any more in the sense that mcat and gpa can measure how far you are up the list. I think it based on their impression of you through the interviews and your extracurricular activities.

I'm not a fan the the secret wait list because it prevents people on the list from planning their future hinging on the hope of getting accepted at UF (myself included). However, I can see how a secret waitlist might benefit those who are patient and really want to get into UF med.
Goodluck everyone

Yeah, there's no point in looking at the stats of people who got off the waitlist to see where you are ranked. There may be a slight correlation, but nothing to really predict where you are. I don't think very many got in off the alternate list so far, maybe 5-10. I would have thought there would be about 20-30 seats available right after May 15th, but maybe this is just a tough year, who knows.

Nah when my friend got off the waitlist 4 years ago at UF she got off in as late as June. She had high stats and great ECs too. And she's a stellar writer so her essays were flawless too.

and as much as things have changed, i don't think slow movement at UF has changed.

Yeah, and the first part is true anywhere. Waitlists aren't going to be ranked on stats.

Why is there slow movement though? Is it because spots just aren't open or because there are spots available, but the admissions office takes its time to decide who to call?

I have been informed by a reliable source that far fewer students have withdrawn their acceptances from UF this year than in previous years... which means there may be less movement from the wait-list, unfortunately for myself and others. Sorry to be a Debby Downer, but I thought SDN followers may be interested in this info!

I have been informed by a reliable source that far fewer students have withdrawn their acceptances from UF this year than in previous years... which means there may be less movement from the wait-list, unfortunately for myself and others. Sorry to be a Debby Downer, but I thought SDN followers may be interested in this info!

I contacted the admissions office last week to ask about the waitlist movement and they said there is indeed really slow movement....

well i'm no longer holding my breath to get in here.

I contacted the admissions office last week to ask about the waitlist movement and they said there is indeed really slow movement....

well i'm no longer holding my breath to get in here.

Did they give any other details on the situation? Is there still hope or did they pretty much say the class was full? I'm still hoping for the best at UF since it's my number one choice!

guess pass/fail is really attractive

Did they give any other details on the situation? Is there still hope or did they pretty much say the class was full? I'm still hoping for the best at UF since it's my number one choice!

They didn't go into too much detail, they were really general about it basically just saying relative to previous years there isn't as much movement. At this point, I think the only spots to be filled will be the ones where people already in the class get in off another waitlist.

Does anyone have any opinions ab Williamsburg Village or any other areas in the med school ghetto?

Does anyone have any opinions ab Williamsburg Village or any other areas in the med school ghetto?

Heya. There are 4 main complexes in the med school ghetto. There's Williamsburg, country gardens, sommerset village, and summit house. summit house and sommerset are condos so you would negotiate with individual owners. I'm not sure about how much the rent is there. I live at Williamsburg. It's a fairly old complex, probably built in the late 50s to early 60s. As a result you might have some issues with maintenance, but the maintenance people here are really cool and quick about everything. Some units have newer stuff (appliances, countertops, etc) and others dont. I got new cabinets, countertops and wood laminate flooring. You get the option of carpet or wood laminate. There are 2 sizes for 1 bedroom apartments - I live in the smaller one which is currently costing me around 490 / month + electricity/gas (yes some units actually use gas for heat / hot water) + internet. The rent has probably gone up to 500+ this year though. My electricity bill is around ~80$ averaged over the year probably. But I don't use much AC or heat. It can be a little loud in terms of hearing your neighbors, especially in my situation where I live on the first floor and everyone is above me. But it doesn't make life unbearable and my neighbors and I are pretty generous with each other. They play loud music during the day / early evening only, and I often play guitar pretty loudly too, so its a fair trade. I've never had a serious problem with noise, but it could depend on your neighbors. My apartment is fairly roomy, but the kitchen is a bit small. Some of the 1 - BR apartments dont have dishwashers - I dont have one and it sucks because I hate washing dishes by hand.

By far the best reason to live here is distance. You can walk to school in the same time it takes most people to walk from the commuter lot to school. Not only are you saving money on gas and decals, but you are saving on a lot of time. You can go back home for lunch and save money that way too. You can stay at school as long as you want knowing you can just walk back home whenever. If you forget something you can easily run back and get it. You have to dress professionally many afternoons, but if you are too lazy to do that in the morning, you can just come back during lunch and change. Honestly, living this close has been absolutely awesome.

The only reason I'm moving out is because an old friend gave me a deal I couldn't turn down, so I'm going to go live at his condo. Although 490 / month isn't bad for a 1 BR, I'm still dishing out around 650$ / month on everything, and if I can save more than 300$ a month and live at a much nicer place (by which I basically mean newer), I'll deal with the driving. But I'm definitely gonna miss walking. You meet a lot of cool people too.

feel free to PM me if you have further questions about williamsburg, or want to come by to check out my apartment or something.

So has anyone on the alternate list heard back yet from UF? Or does anyone know someone who has?

Hey c/o 2015 - your orientation page is up! Here you'll find all the forms you need to fill out, all the stuff you need to do, and who you can contact if you have questions:

http://osa.med.ufl.edu/first-year-orientation/

PS: in previewing some of the older posts concerning textbooks: EVERYONE has a different learning style. Personally, I learn best by reading textbooks before class. Contrary to some older posts, I did read the anatomy, histology, neuroscience, physiology textbooks.

Bottom line: if you're a book person, get the books. If you're not, don't worry about them. More on this during orientation: but everyone's going to have a different study style. Don't stress if you do something different as long as it works!

Can someone please post the required book list from the orientation site. I am having a difficult time opening up the pdf file.

thanks

View attachment First year books.pdf

That's the currently posted version, even though it's technically our year. The books are all the same though, and not all instructors require them even though the list says "required" (e.g. radiology, genetics, human behavior, biochemistry).

Status
Not open for further replies.