2023-2024 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 University of Central Florida Secondary Essay Prompts

(edited to remove an old question about online courses)

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida. (500 characters)

(7) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time. (500 characters)

(8.1) In this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B minus," or course withdrawals. (500 characters)

(13) What breakthrough in clinical or research medicine would you like to see occur within the span of your career in medicine? Why? (750 characters)

(14) The complexity of healthcare delivery increasingly requires interdisciplinary teamwork. What lessons have you learned from sports, music, business or other experiences have prepared you to succeed in this environment? (750 characters)

(15) We often hear that students want to pursue medicine to help people. Why did you choose medicine and not some other field where you can help others, such as nursing, physical therapy, pharmacology, psychology, education, or social work? (750 characters)

(16) Please share with the Admissions Committee why you are specifically interested in UCF COM. (750 characters)

(18) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general.
(Up to 4,000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Central Florida College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-upper-quartile board scores and research, as well as the state's strongest match lists in the upper echelon specialties (18%) with placements at top residencies across the U.S. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country (~40 of 120 seats for non-Floridians), our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty.

The 7,000 acre Lake Nona Medical City continues to expand rapidly with housing, retail, commerce and the first and only Leed Gold hospital in FL the UCF Lake Nona Hospital. We have joined with Sarah Cannon Cancer to open our own UCF Cancer Research Institute adjacent to the UCF Hospital. We will continue to partner our clinical training with approximately 20 hospitals in the general Central Florida vicinity as well as opportunities in St Petersburg, Naples, Ocala, and Gainesville. Merge this with the second largest and busiest VA Hospital in the U.S. , the highly ranked Nemours Children's Hospital, the National VA SimLearn Center for Simulation, the Rosen School for Hospitality, the USTA HQ tennis complex, and the Lake Nona Human Performance Institute. We have all partnered to raise the bar with simulation, nutrition, and Health and Wellness. Finally, we have created and filled approximately 620 residency positions in what is one of the largest academic M.D. Graduate Medical Education programs in Florida.

The UCF COM has an award winning Career Advising and Wellness Program, innovative curriculum and student-centered facilities for learning and studying. In addition, UCF is also one of the least expensive M.D. program in the nation and the best value in Florida.

We look forward to partnering with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year.

Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-upper-quartile board scores and research, as well as the state's strongest match lists in the upper echelon specialties (18%) with placements at top residencies across the U.S. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country (~40 of 120 seats for non-Floridians), our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty.

The 7,000 acre Lake Nona Medical City continues to expand rapidly with housing, retail, commerce and the first and only Leed Gold hospital in FL the UCF Lake Nona Hospital. We have joined with Sarah Cannon Cancer to open our own UCF Cancer Research Institute adjacent to the UCF Hospital. We will continue to partner our clinical training with approximately 20 hospitals in the general Central Florida vicinity as well as opportunities in St Petersburg, Naples, Ocala, and Gainesville. Merge this with the second largest and busiest VA Hospital in the U.S. , the highly ranked Nemours Children's Hospital, the National VA SimLearn Center for Simulation, the Rosen School for Hospitality, the USTA HQ tennis complex, and the Lake Nona Human Performance Institute. We have all partnered to raise the bar with simulation, nutrition, and Health and Wellness. Finally, we have created and filled approximately 620 residency positions in what is one of the largest academic M.D. Graduate Medical Education programs in Florida.

The UCF COM has an award winning Career Advising and Wellness Program, innovative curriculum and student-centered facilities for learning and studying. In addition, UCF is also one of the least expensive M.D. program in the nation and the best value in Florida.

We look forward to partnering with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year.

Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.

Thanks so much for this information in the thread!

Does anybody know what the character limits are? I don't see them defined on the secondary. Are they the same as last year?

Does anybody know what the character limits are? I don't see them defined on the secondary. Are they the same as last year?
750 for first few essays, 4000 for personal essay, 1000 for why UCF ◡̈

I had to copy/paste my longest essay and then copy/paste it into a character counter to figure it out lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,
I noticed that UCF says their letters should have contact info for the recommenders. I'm not sure if letter writers usually also include their contact info in their letters. I am submitting a committee letter packet, which I think has the contact of the dean of my school who complied the packet. Is that acceptable?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I noticed that UCF says their letters should have contact info for the recommenders. I'm not sure if letter writers usually also include their contact info in their letters. I am submitting a committee letter packet, which I think has the contact of the dean of my school who complied the packet. Is that acceptable?
That is perfectly fine.

750 for first few essays, 4000 for personal essay, 1000 for why UCF ◡̈

I had to copy/paste my longest essay and then copy/paste it into a character counter to figure it out lol.
For why UCF, I tried pasting in a 4000 character essay and it let me do it. Seems like they removed any character limit for why ucf this year?

@LaurelePoole

First off, thank you for being so active and transparent in this thread, it really helps!
With regard to the re-opened secondary application, it appears there are now no word limits at all. Should we take this as a hint to write significantly more than we previously submitted at 750 characters each?
Wondering this too. I have essays following last year's character limits ready to go, but upon seeing the character limits removed, I'm wondering if that's meant to signify that we should expand on ideas more?

• Hmm
Hey guys! I contacted their admissions office for clarification on the character count and this is what they said: "the character count is 750 characters for the three shorter questions and a 4000-character limit for the final essay." Why UCF is still 750 character limit I believe. They said that they are going to add the character counts to the secondary app today.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I contacted their admissions office for clarification on the character count and this is what they said: "the character count is 750 characters for the three shorter questions and a 4000-character limit for the final essay." Why UCF is still 750 character limit I believe. They said that they are going to add the character counts to the secondary app today.
(3.1) Please list each course you have taken, or are projected to take, in an online environment. (500 characters)

Do you know if this question is part of the secondary? I do not see it for this cycle.

(3.1) Please list each course you have taken, or are projected to take, in an online environment. (500 characters)

Do you know if this question is part of the secondary? I do not see it for this cycle.
@docbach14 since you reported they were the same as last year, care to comment?

I Dont see it on there

IS received, can confirm that there was no online courses question

Yikes. If that is the case then I would need to resubmit it again, as I had gone back in to make "why UCF" longer
Just updating everyone. They added character limits to every essay besides the gap year essay as far as I can see.

Are the numbers I used in the top post correct? Let me know if I need to change any please
Sure thing, sorry I didn't before. There aren't any specified character limits for Questions 7 and 8.1. The rest of the character limits are accurate. I don't know if they're going to go back and add character limits for 7 and 8.1, but if anyone's reading this are you guys sticking to the old character limit of 500?

Dear All. The character limits are just that, limits. Just because we set a limit doesn't mean you need to hit it exactly for it to be a quality answer. Some people may need more space than others and some may only need to respond succinctly and that is suffice. Neither is right or wrong. This is YOUR secondary application and you should respond to the questions (character limit or not) so that your answer best provides the information asked, and so we may understand who you are and where you have come from.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone had their letter of references section show as completed?

Has anyone had their letter of references section show as completed?
I received an email this morning informing me of the completion of my app and verification of my letters. This is also reflected in my application portal. Submitted my secondary on 7/16

Is anyone going to the "UCF COM: Virtual Information Session" on Thursday?
Does anyone know if we have to wear business professional/casual for it?

Hey guys, current M1 at UCF and just recently through the whole application process you guys are going through. Feel free to drop any questions I could help answer!

Hey guys, current M1 at UCF and just recently through the whole application process you guys are going through. Feel free to drop any questions I could help answer!
How much of Orlando do you get to enjoy as a UCF student?

I'm starting calls today and will continue to call/email with interview invitations through the first half or so of February.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
Will UCF also email regarding interviews or just phone call? I am out of the country and can't make international phone calls. I'm worried I'll miss their call while I'm traveling.

Will UCF also email regarding interviews or just phone call? I am out of the country and can't make international phone calls. I'm worried I'll miss their call while I'm traveling.
I will always try to call first and if I don't reach you I will leave a voicemail (if it is set up) and send the confirmation email with instructions for scheduling interviews.

Reactions: 6 users
Dear Dr. Poole, Is there an increased MCAT minimum for OOS applicants? I do not see anything about it on the school's website, but I just want to make sure before I submit with a 509.
Good Morning, There is no increased MCAT requirement for out of state students. We are looking for the same extracurricular achievements and academic success as our Floridians. For reference our averages last year were a 3.8 BCPM/Overall and a 514 MCAT.

Hello Laurel! first off thanks so much for your transparency and active involvement in the forums. I wanted to ask, does UCF look at the highest total MCAT or most recent MCAT?
ahem @thefruitfulone address the Admissions Director as Dr. Poole

Cool tip:
Nobody should stroll into any med school interview and address their interviewer by their first name in real life either :oops:

Last edited:
Good morning Dr. Poole
Regarding secondaries and interview invites, do interview invites to people who submitted at a later time compared to you indicate that you are out of the running?
Thank you very much

ahem @thefruitfulone address the Admissions Director as Dr. Poole

Cool tip:
Nobody should stroll into any med school interview and address their interviewer by their first name in real life either :oops:
I'm not a doctor so Laurel is fine or Mrs. Poole. However, definitely don't do that in your interview as they probably are a doctor! :)