2022-2023 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they are projected to make about 190 offers total by the last committee meeting (as stated in post #221), and they typically accept a total of 300 applicants by the end of the cycle, that suggests ~110 give or take are called off the waitlist. Assuming each tier is equal in number, a person somewhere in the middle third could be in position #88-176, or about #88-131 for those in the upper half of the middle.

If the numbers above are accurate, I suppose that means there is still a chance for offers to be made to a portion of us in the middle!
Okay this makes me feel much better haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If the recent past is any indication, those in the upper-half of the middle 1/3 have received an offer of acceptance by the time the class matriculated. If you are very interested in matriculating to this program, it is a good idea to include that information in one of your three file updates. It is also a good idea to email the admissions office that you have added an "update" to your file to ensure that it renders properly for admissions committee review. Cheers All!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will likely be withdrawing my A here. Happy I can give it to someone on the WL.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
for anyone else accepted, is UCF also not showing up on your choose your medical college tool?
We are having some technical issues with AMCAS so we have to manually report all of our updates to them in order for current statuses to reflect on the CYMS table. I believe everyone is updated now but please reach out if not.

Does anyone know if submitting a LOI while on the waitlist will make you more likely to be accepted sooner? For example, if you’re in the lower half of the upper 1/3 and you submit an LOI is there a chance you’ll hear back before April? I have other schools looking for a commitment soon but UCF is my top choice

Last edited:
Does anyone know if submitting a LOI while on the waitlist will make you more likely to be accepted sooner? For example, if you’re in the lower half of the upper 1/3 and you submit an LOI is there a chance you’ll hear back before April? I have other schools looking for a commitment soon but UCF is my top choice
Reading past threads it seems submitting an LOI doesn't change your position on the waitlist, nor will anything. They seem to use a grading scale with a score that sets your place on the waitlist and this score cannot change, however showing interest in the school (such as an LOI) will show more of an interest in comparison to other applicants in the same score range as you which in turn will increase your odds.

I am in the exact same boat as you, and I suggest keeping in contact with UCF to let them know your situation. Communication is key and as long as UCF is aware of the position you are in, you should have nothing to worry about. Good luck, and hopefully we both get off this waitlist sooner rather than later.

I hope to see you there :)

Reading past threads it seems submitting an LOI doesn't change your position on the waitlist, nor will anything. They seem to use a grading scale with a score that sets your place on the waitlist and this score cannot change, however showing interest in the school (such as an LOI) will show more of an interest in comparison to other applicants in the same score range as you which in turn will increase your odds.

I am in the exact same boat as you, and I suggest keeping in contact with UCF to let them know your situation. Communication is key and as long as UCF is aware of the position you are in, you should have nothing to worry about. Good luck, and hopefully we both get off this waitlist sooner rather than later.

I hope to see you there :)
That is correct. A LOI does not change your position but it does give us a better understanding of who plans to matriculate should they receive an offer. So when I'm trying to assist applicants on the alternate list I can say "We're getting closer to making an offer, but two people ahead of you said they would be attending should we accept them. Or, there are a few people ahead of you but none have indicated they will attend should they be offered." I'll be sending an update email next week. You can expect there won't be much movement on the list until closer to late April/early May when those with multiple accepts have to reduce the seats they are holding. I hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 users
M.D. schools should not be requiring any sort of commitment this early, not even the early start schools. If it is a DO program I know many have significant deposits they require to hold your spot and that can put students in a difficult situation. Should you put down a deposit and then be offered a seat somewhere you prefer, I would suggest you consider how much of a role that deposit should play in your decision as to where you get your medical education and your happiness over the next four years. While the deposit may feel financially burdensome now, it is likely a small price to pay to go where you prefer for med school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@LaurelePoole I noticed in this month's wait-list update that it was mentioned my application is in "x position" out of 185 Florida applicants. Does the wait-list move through in-state applicants first? If not, do in-state applicants on the wait-list have priority over out-of-state applicants on the wait-list? Thanks!

Last edited:
To those on the waitlist hoping for an acceptance, hang in there! I'm an M4 who was accepted off the waitlist fairly late into the cycle. Also, if you're deciding between schools I'm happy to give my honest review about the pros and cons of UCF COM. Feel free to message me here or privately. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
To those on the waitlist hoping for an acceptance, hang in there! I'm an M4 who was accepted off the waitlist fairly late into the cycle. Also, if you're deciding between schools I'm happy to give my honest review about the pros and cons of UCF COM. Feel free to message me here or privately. Good luck!
Hey! Thank you for the offer! I would love to message you privately but it looks like with your settings, I am unable to start a conversation with you privately.

Can any current student discuss how they feel about the letter grade system at UCF now that Step 1 is pass/fail? My student interviewer said it creates huge competition among fellow students. Also considering that most other schools are completely pass/fail, I can't imagine it makes you any more of a competitive residency applicant except when compared to your other classmates (assuming you actually get all A's).

Can any current student discuss how they feel about the letter grade system at UCF now that Step 1 is pass/fail? My student interviewer said it creates huge competition among fellow students. Also considering that most other schools are completely pass/fail, I can't imagine it makes you any more of a competitive residency applicant except when compared to your other classmates (assuming you actually get all A's).
I still qualify as a current student for a couple more weeks so I’ll take this one. Keep in mind that I’m an M4 so things may have changed from back when I was an M1.

Preclinical grades are largely irrelevant. My MSPE (Dean’s Letter) had a total of one sentence about my preclinical grades. The rest of it were my evaluations from core rotations, noteworthy characteristics, and a summary.

From what I remember, about half the class gets an A on every module. The remaining is split between 80/20 for Bs/Cs.

As for clinical rotations, they’re graded as honors/pass/fail. This is what I would compare to other schools and their grading scheme whether it’s pass/fail, honors/high pass/pass/fail or some other iteration.

Back when I was interviewing, other schools had pass/fail preclinicals and similar honors/pass/fail clinicals. It didn’t make a huge difference to me when making a decision and looking back on it now, it really didn’t matter that much for me as I was able to successfully match into a fairly competitive specialty.

I still qualify as a current student for a couple more weeks so I’ll take this one. Keep in mind that I’m an M4 so things may have changed from back when I was an M1.

Preclinical grades are largely irrelevant. My MSPE (Dean’s Letter) had a total of one sentence about my preclinical grades. The rest of it were my evaluations from core rotations, noteworthy characteristics, and a summary.

From what I remember, about half the class gets an A on every module. The remaining is split between 80/20 for Bs/Cs.

As for clinical rotations, they’re graded as honors/pass/fail. This is what I would compare to other schools and their grading scheme whether it’s pass/fail, honors/high pass/pass/fail or some other iteration.

Back when I was interviewing, other schools had pass/fail preclinicals and similar honors/pass/fail clinicals. It didn’t make a huge difference to me when making a decision and looking back on it now, it really didn’t matter that much for me as I was able to successfully match into a fairly competitive specialty.
And with that I will be turning down my acceptance. 1st/2nd year medical students competing for grades on a curve like they are freshman in college is silly. God forbid you don't get all A's and then have to compete with all the other higher-tier medical schools in FL that are pass/fail first 2 years. hope UCF changes this soon for the sake of their students. I will say, if you are a true gunner, this is the school for you it seems.

And with that I will be turning down my acceptance. 1st/2nd year medical students competing for grades on a curve like they are freshman in college is silly. God forbid you don't get all A's and then have to compete with all the other higher-tier medical schools in FL that are pass/fail first 2 years. hope UCF changes this soon for the sake of their students. I will say, if you are a true gunner, this is the school for you it seems.
The grading at UCF isn't on a curve -- it's just letter-based. Everybody can earn an A

Recently withdrew my application/acceptance! Best of luck to the many deserving applicants on the waitlist!

• Care
@LaurelePoole Have you started accepting students off the waitlist? If so, how far into the waitlist have student been extended offers?

Hey everyone, I have a few questions regarding UCF's curriculum. If a current student could answer these, that would be great, TIA!

What are the style of exam questions (NBME vs. in-house)?
I heard some classes within modules are P/F -- how many of these are like that?
How often are exams (what does a typical week look like in terms of exam frequency)?

It appears there either wasn't much action today, or those that were accepted aren't active here. In any case, I imagine things will pick up tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Wow, the OOS waitlist is moving fast if they're already in the middle third. I'm in lower half upper third for IS. I wonder if they've gotten to my sector yet or if they're still chipping away at the upper half of the upper third for IS folks.

Wow, the OOS waitlist is moving fast if they're already in the middle third. I'm in lower half upper third for IS. I wonder if they've gotten to my sector yet or if they're still chipping away at the upper half of the upper third for IS folks.
I'm in the upper half of the upper third IS and still haven't heard anything

I'm in the upper half of the upper third IS and still haven't heard anything
It's interesting how supposedly the entire upper third of OOS WL has been exhausted already but less than half of the upper third for IS. Makes me anxious for my position!

It's interesting how supposedly the entire upper third of OOS WL has been exhausted already but less than half of the upper third for IS. Makes me anxious for my position!
I wouldn't be too worried about it. I think the two lists (IS and OOS) are completely separate. If you're in the top third you'll likely get that A soon enough!

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I think the two lists (IS and OOS) are completely separate. If you're in the top third you'll likely get that A soon enough!
Hopefully this is true. For all we know the IS list hasn't been sent offers yet. I'm in the top half of the middle third IS and past threads show that the IS list usually moves faster than the OOS list. But they need to take more IS than OOS being a public school so this shouldn't affect our position much if at all. I myslef would like to go here and stay in state!

Good luck everyone!

Hopefully this is true. For all we know the IS list hasn't been sent offers yet. I'm in the top half of the middle third IS and past threads show that the IS list usually moves faster than the OOS list. But they need to take more IS than OOS being a public school so this shouldn't affect our position much if at all. I myslef would like to go here and stay in state!

Good luck everyone!
Same, in the top half of middle 1/3, IS. Biting my fingernails over here lol

Hey everyone, I have a few questions regarding UCF's curriculum. If a current student could answer these, that would be great, TIA!

What are the style of exam questions (NBME vs. in-house)?
I heard some classes within modules are P/F -- how many of these are like that?
How often are exams (what does a typical week look like in terms of exam frequency)?
Hey there! Current M4 here as well, free to answer any questions anyone has in my DM's!

1.) Exams are in house, but modeled after the NBME "style". They follow the same structure as NBME exams and have been vetted internally so as to reduce any bias in the questions. Exams were more than fair and I can tell you as someone who got straight B's/2 C's in med school, it did not affect my match whatsoever!

2.) Some classes are P/F. Your P1/P2 (practice of medicine) modules where you learn all your clinical skills is P/F, the C1 module which is psyhcosocial issues in healthcare is P/F. Most of the science modules if not all are graded A/B/C/F, only during my first year (during covid) were some of the science modules P/F. Again grading is irrelevant and if you want an A you will be able to get 1, they don't gate keep A's.

3.) There is usually 1 exam for each module, apart from the first module (biochem/genetics) and the second (anatomy/phys/embryo/histo). Those ones have midterms that are graded. The other modules that have 1 exam, usually have a formative exam (doesnt count for anything apart from seeing where you are at) halfway through. Theres also formative quizzes weekly to cover that weeks material for most of the modules, and some modules will have biweekly or weekly quizzes that are worth a small portion of points. In general most have 1 large final exam but it doesn't usually dictate your whole grade, there is plenty of buffer points through some small assignments/quizzes.

Again happy to try and answer any questions ya'll have though I am a bit far removed from the first 2 years.

Hey there! Current M4 here as well, free to answer any questions anyone has in my DM's!

1.) Exams are in house, but modeled after the NBME "style". They follow the same structure as NBME exams and have been vetted internally so as to reduce any bias in the questions. Exams were more than fair and I can tell you as someone who got straight B's/2 C's in med school, it did not affect my match whatsoever!

2.) Some classes are P/F. Your P1/P2 (practice of medicine) modules where you learn all your clinical skills is P/F, the C1 module which is psyhcosocial issues in healthcare is P/F. Most of the science modules if not all are graded A/B/C/F, only during my first year (during covid) were some of the science modules P/F. Again grading is irrelevant and if you want an A you will be able to get 1, they don't gate keep A's.

3.) There is usually 1 exam for each module, apart from the first module (biochem/genetics) and the second (anatomy/phys/embryo/histo). Those ones have midterms that are graded. The other modules that have 1 exam, usually have a formative exam (doesnt count for anything apart from seeing where you are at) halfway through. Theres also formative quizzes weekly to cover that weeks material for most of the modules, and some modules will have biweekly or weekly quizzes that are worth a small portion of points. In general most have 1 large final exam but it doesn't usually dictate your whole grade, there is plenty of buffer points through some small assignments/quizzes.

Again happy to try and answer any questions ya'll have though I am a bit far removed from the first 2 years.
Thank you for posting here. I know that your posts have been of great value to the app's this year. Congrats on the Match. We will miss ya!

was accepted off WL monday, top half of upper third IS. Has anyone accepted off WL so far received a financial aid package?

Still waiting for my acceptance off the WL but how long does the financial aid package take. Also we only have five days to respond right and then withdraw from the other school we planned to enroll?

Things are moving slowly but surely. The OOS list has had a little more traction because those students typically have a higher turnover. Offers have been made to both the IS and OOS lists. Hang in there everyone! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Things are moving slowly but surely. The OOS list has had a little more traction because those students typically have a higher turnover. Offers have been made to both the IS and OOS lists. Hang in there everyone! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
@LaurelePoole How far did the IS list move?

According to @gyngyn in the waitlist support thread:

"There appears to be a glitch in the CYMS tool for schools.
This is likely to slow processing of alternate lists until it is fixed."

This could explain any waitlist movement slow down or at least play a role in doing so.

Does anyone know if UCF still gives students a laptop and iPad, and if so, which models? Just trying to figure out if I need to buy my own (iPad at least lol)

Does anyone know if UCF still gives students a laptop and iPad, and if so, which models? Just trying to figure out if I need to buy my own (iPad at least lol)
They give students a laptop and iPad mini at matriculation.