2022-2023 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if UCF still gives students a laptop and iPad, and if so, which models? Just trying to figure out if I need to buy my own (iPad at least lol)

The computer is some Dell, it’s not super new or flashy it just has the capacity for the testing software they use at UCF

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The acceptance letter said we have to reply within 5 business days
That would be 5 business days from the date of the letter, if Monday then that would be end of today. What was your position and are you IS or OOS?

Has anyone on the top half of top third of the IS WL still not received an offer?

just got accepted off the OOS waitlist few mins ago

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
The apparent lack of movement on IS so far, especially compared to OOS, is worrying for me. Hopefully, they will be able to get through the upper one-third of the waitlist before the end of this process.

Reactions: 3 users
The apparent lack of movement on IS so far, especially compared to OOS, is worrying for me. Hopefully, they will be able to get through the upper one-third of the waitlist before the end of this process.
Cant imagine that they will not exhaust the top 1/3 of both IS/OOS by the time it's all over. There is likely some movement, but not SDN'ers. Hang in there.....

Reactions: 2 users
Cant imagine that they will not exhaust the top 1/3 of both IS/OOS by the time it's all over. There is likely some movement, but not SDN'ers. Hang in there.....
Thank you for the reassurance REL. It's a pretty stressful time for us. I see that you were active in keeping the folks in the UCF SDN updated during the waitlist process in previous years. I understand that you are retired, but I was wondering if you are still privy to the admissions and waitlist or not? Regardless, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reassurance REL. It's a pretty stressful time for us. I see that you were active in keeping the folks in the UCF SDN updated during the waitlist process in previous years. I understand that you are retired, but I was wondering if you are still privy to the admissions and waitlist or not? Regardless, thanks.
As you say, I am retired, and as such am not involved in the day-to-day business process. That being said, there has not been much change in the national process nor the business process of UCF Admissions. It is simply a process of admits and deadlines. It does take some time to pass and, as you illustrate, waiting is the hardest thing to do.

As I told some of the people that DM’ed me, I got my acceptance off the waitlist during the first week of June 4 years ago. These things will typically work out how they are meant to. “Good things happen to those who wait”.

As I told some of the people that DM’ed me, I got my acceptance off the waitlist during the first week of June 4 years ago. These things will typically work out how they are meant to. “Good things happen to those who wait”.
What position of the wait-list were you, and were you IS or OOS?

Hey guys, just wanted to wish everyone good luck for this cycle. I recently talked to some friends who are current students at UCF COM and they gave me a new perspective that I wanted to share. They felt that with preclinical letter grades, they are at a disadvantage in terms of research and other activities which students at P/F schools have more time for. Considering that step 1 is now P/F, that may end up being a disadvantage when it comes to matching. On top of that, it looks like they will be implementing an internal rank based on percentage in a class rather than letter grade, which may mean more competition among students.

Hey guys, just wanted to wish everyone good luck for this cycle. I recently talked to some friends who are current students at UCF COM and they gave me a new perspective that I wanted to share. They felt that with preclinical letter grades, they are at a disadvantage in terms of research and other activities which students at P/F schools have more time for. Considering that step 1 is now P/F, that may end up being a disadvantage when it comes to matching. On top of that, it looks like they will be implementing an internal rank based on percentage in a class rather than letter grade, which may mean more competition among students.
I went on a tour and they said that starting with next year's class everything will be P/F

If true about the change to P/F, I personally feel that it is a big mistake ---

A majority of MD programs have transitioned to a P/F grading system. The boards are now also P/F. In addition, the MSPE was changed ~3 years ago to radically reduce the amount of written commentary input regarding the student and became more of a semi-redundant data report for residency director. In turn this appears to have caused applicants to apply to more programs. Imagine that you are a residency director that normally received 200 applications for 6 positions are now receiving 500 applications - and you only have the capacity to interview 50 because most Residency Directors have little to no staff to review these 500 MSPE's. What factors would you consider in an application to determine interview selection?

A few weeks ago, I believe it would be starting with the class of 2028.

huh interesting bc when i went to second look back in april they felt very strongly about they’re graded system and didn’t think they would ever transition to p/f

huh interesting bc when i went to second look back in april they felt very strongly about they’re graded system and didn’t think they would ever transition to p/f
I'm not sure if it was 100% definitive, but they seemed pretty confident they were looking to head in that direction in the future.

Just wanna come in and drop my 2 cents. Again current 4th year here, about to graduate, just matched, I will give you the unfiltered truth. I remember being in your guy's position 4 years ago and worrying about all of this minutia including match lists, P/F curriculum, etc. Please listen... it is all 100% irrelevant!

Every single school to some degree whether they are A/B/C/F, Honors/Pass/Fail, or Pass/Fail is internally ranking their candidates. How else do you decide AOA, report quartile the student is in on the MSPE? and if the first 2 years are P/F trully, your 3rd year is for sure going to be ranked to determine AOA. Honors/Pass/Fail is essentially the same thing as A/B/F. Only about 10% of students at our school (again been a few years since I was pre-clinical) got a C. The large majority got A's and B's. There was no fighting or competition between classmates, your ability to match is a product of how hard you are willing to work and all of you are Type A pre-meds whether you believe it or not, that is the type of people who make it to medical school, myself included. You aren't just gunna stop trying once you get to medical school, youre intrinsically motivated by nature. \

The things that are 100% going to matter for you guys if you are interested in matching into a competitive specialty are Step 2, CLINICAL (3rd year) grades, sure pre-clinical for determining AOA, and research output. Those are all controllable factors and are the same factors that everyone across the country is controlling. I promise you, grades or P/F is not going to affect you whatsoever. Every medical school to a degree is providing the same product. There is very little difference between how schools are organized, the biggest thing is your ability to set yourself up for the future. So I would stop worrying about grades, stop worrying about curriculum (you're gunna use 3rd party resources anyways), stop worrying about match lists (those a product of class interests), and focus on where you see yourself being happy, where you can go for the cheapest and where you will have support not only from friends/family, but the school and administration. You will realize that there is more to life than worrying about the small things in medical school. Life keeps goin and if you aren't somewhere where you are happy, it is going to be tough. Your parents are gunna get older, friends will change, big things will happen and when that stuff hits, the last thing you are gunna care about is a stupid arbitrary grade in a preclinical course.

I am not trying to sway you one way or another. I have a few gripes about UCF but in the grand scheme of things I was provided adequate support and plenty of resources over the 4 years. I promise you all, these things you are weighing so heavily will become so irrelevant its not even funny. Put in the work for yourself and you will reap the benefits wherever you go! Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Reactions: 6 users
Just wanna come in and drop my 2 cents. Again current 4th year here, about to graduate, just matched, I will give you the unfiltered truth. I remember being in your guy's position 4 years ago and worrying about all of this minutia including match lists, P/F curriculum, etc. Please listen... it is all 100% irrelevant!

Every single school to some degree whether they are A/B/C/F, Honors/Pass/Fail, or Pass/Fail is internally ranking their candidates. How else do you decide AOA, report quartile the student is in on the MSPE? and if the first 2 years are P/F trully, your 3rd year is for sure going to be ranked to determine AOA. Honors/Pass/Fail is essentially the same thing as A/B/F. Only about 10% of students at our school (again been a few years since I was pre-clinical) got a C. The large majority got A's and B's. There was no fighting or competition between classmates, your ability to match is a product of how hard you are willing to work and all of you are Type A pre-meds whether you believe it or not, that is the type of people who make it to medical school, myself included. You aren't just gunna stop trying once you get to medical school, youre intrinsically motivated by nature. \

The things that are 100% going to matter for you guys if you are interested in matching into a competitive specialty are Step 2, CLINICAL (3rd year) grades, sure pre-clinical for determining AOA, and research output. Those are all controllable factors and are the same factors that everyone across the country is controlling. I promise you, grades or P/F is not going to affect you whatsoever. Every medical school to a degree is providing the same product. There is very little difference between how schools are organized, the biggest thing is your ability to set yourself up for the future. So I would stop worrying about grades, stop worrying about curriculum (you're gunna use 3rd party resources anyways), stop worrying about match lists (those a product of class interests), and focus on where you see yourself being happy, where you can go for the cheapest and where you will have support not only from friends/family, but the school and administration. You will realize that there is more to life than worrying about the small things in medical school. Life keeps goin and if you aren't somewhere where you are happy, it is going to be tough. Your parents are gunna get older, friends will change, big things will happen and when that stuff hits, the last thing you are gunna care about is a stupid arbitrary grade in a preclinical course.

I am not trying to sway you one way or another. I have a few gripes about UCF but in the grand scheme of things I was provided adequate support and plenty of resources over the 4 years. I promise you all, these things you are weighing so heavily will become so irrelevant its not even funny. Put in the work for yourself and you will reap the benefits wherever you go! Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

this was super helpful and made me feel so much better🫶

I agree with you that at the end of the day, most schools will have some sort of grading/evaluation system in place to determine AOA. However, I was curious to know how having preclinical grades may have affected your time to spend on other things like pursuing research and shadowing in your first two years. From what I understand, UCF doesn't have many home residency programs (and the ones they do have, have not developed academic infrastructure for research) and students are left trying to create research opportunities on their own (through Orlando Health, AdventHealth, and other schools, etc.). For students interested in competitive specialties, is it possible to maintain good grades and pursue research at the same level that students at other schools are doing?

I agree with you that at the end of the day, most schools will have some sort of grading/evaluation system in place to determine AOA. However, I was curious to know how having preclinical grades may have affected your time to spend on other things like pursuing research and shadowing in your first two years. From what I understand, UCF doesn't have many home residency programs (and the ones they do have, have not developed academic infrastructure for research) and students are left trying to create research opportunities on their own (through Orlando Health, AdventHealth, and other schools, etc.). For students interested in competitive specialties, is it possible to maintain good grades and pursue research at the same level that students at other schools are doing?
Again, I’m not really sure what everyone here thought was going to happen? You don’t just get into medical school, take your foot off the gas and coast. If you are shooting for a competitive specialty (uro, plastics, derm, neurosurg, etc) you are going to have to continue to work hard. Whether that’s at a P/F school or graded school your work ethic isn’t changing. You’re still gunna have to balance your research, community service and grades, that’s the nature of the residency app process. We only have ourselves to blame for that as it continues to be an arms race style competition to see who can flood the literature with the most stuff.

Your FIRE project is a huge way to kickstart your research interests. UCF Burnett school of medical science has a huge network of researchers doing things, Nemours has tons of researchers doing projects, there’s a whole fair we had with all the local docs doing research that we could pick from during my M1 year. Sure not having a residency program has made it harder for some people doing competitive specialties but lucky for you guys, a lot of the ortho/plastics/urology people have created their own opportunities and research infrastructures for students ti benefit from. Our ortho applicants have an impressive coalition of students from UCF who all work through Orlando Health, Nemours to do research.

Your ability to maintain good grades and have solid research experiences is on YOU. Nobody can do that for you, but I’m telling you, that is not unique to only our school. You will be forced to do what you need to do as does everyone looking to get into a competitive specialty. I know I sound harsh right now but I want you guys to get into the mindset that you control every factor that goes into your ERAS application.

I was initially anesthesia when I came in (switched to peds) and decided to do research back home in CA during my 3rd year off block. I wanted to go home to CA and created my own opportunity to do that. You do what is necessary to get yourself to the next stage but if people from my class now can match Ortho/plastics with 15+ pubs, AOA and crazy step 1/2 scores, you can too. Because that’s what it takes to get into competitive specialties.

TLDR: the person from UF or Miami is not going to have an easier time matching into competitive specialties just because they are P/F. They still need to try for AOA and still need to do research. Whether it’s graded or P/F affects nothing guys. They are still gunna be worried about being top of their class if they are P/F.

Last edited:
well, upper middle 1/3 isn’t looking too hot this year :( really got my hopes up

It’s odd because the April update said movement was right on schedule. Is it really true that there will be less movement this year? It seems like things could be just moving a bit slower for whatever reason.

It’s odd because the April update said movement was right on schedule. Is it really true that there will be less movement this year? It seems like things could be just moving a bit slower for whatever reason.
The in-state update I got the other day said that they still expect to make many offers, but that it's moving slow, however they are still making offers every day. I also read on other boards there was a glitch in the wait-list system with the AMCAS (can't verify this bc it was word-of-mouth, but if it was true then it makes sense to see other schools other than UCF moving slow as well). The April update also said they expected it to start moving faster 2-3 weeks after April; it's only been 2 weeks so hopefully we see it picking up speed soon!

Crossing my fingers here (top half of middle third) 🤞

The in-state update I got the other day said that they still expect to make many offers, but that it's moving slow, however they are still making offers every day. I also read on other boards there was a glitch in the wait-list system with the AMCAS (can't verify this bc it was word-of-mouth, but if it was true then it makes sense to see other schools other than UCF moving slow as well). The April update also said they expected it to start moving faster 2-3 weeks after April; it's only been 2 weeks so hopefully we see it picking up speed soon!

Crossing my fingers here (top half of middle third) 🤞
Same spot as you and holding out hope for now!

Are they still in top half top third for the IS list?

I hope that's the case at least, but in theory, we have a good few more weeks to get through.
Perhaps this holds some weight. I just got accepted off the WL today. In-state bottom half of the upper third.

Reactions: 4 users
I went on a tour and they said that starting with next year's class everything will be P/F
Just want to clarify. The grading scale for those starting in 2024 will be Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail....essentially A, B, C and F ( a 4-point grading scale) because the Dean is strongly opposed to a true P/F.

Yes, we are still in the top-half of the upper 1/3 of the FL list.
There have been multiple people on here in the bottom-half of the upper 1/3 who have said they were offered acceptances. Is that not accurate?

Last edited:
There have been multiple people on here in the bottom-half of the upper 1/3 who have said they were offered acceptances. Is that not accurate?
I deleted my post. I misspoke. We were in the bottom 1/2 of the upper 1/3 of the WL.

No worries, thank you. Do you think you will make it through the upper middle 1/3?
I'm not sure how far down the upper 1/2 of the middle 1/3 we will get. We had very little movement for a while but then right at the PTE deadline we were able to make offers. Same thing might occur as we get closer to our CTE deadline on June 23rd. Right now I have 6 people I'm waiting on to make a decision. Depending on what they do will determine if more offers are made this week.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS withdrew acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you!

• Care
Just committed to another program because their CTE deadline is today. UCF was my top choice and even though they were getting closer to my spot on the waitlist, I didn't want to gamble not getting in anywhere. Good luck to everyone and I hope that if they reach my spot it goes to one of you instead!

• Care
I'm not sure how far down the upper 1/2 of the middle 1/3 we will get. We had very little movement for a while but then right at the PTE deadline we were able to make offers. Same thing might occur as we get closer to our CTE deadline on June 23rd. Right now I have 6 people I'm waiting on to make a decision. Depending on what they do will determine if more offers are made this week.
Does UCF provide in state tuition to OOS students after 1 year?