2010-2011 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But they only send you the essay once they offer you an interview, or does everyone have to answer it. I recall that the Rochester secondary had no essays.

Oh sorry. Yes, they show up once you're offered an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite 8/24
Secondary submitted 8/12
Complete email 8/16

Interview invite!
Submitted July 20
Completed early August
no complete email
I'm so psyched! This is my one of my top choices!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite!

Complete 8/16
Invite 9/8
Interview 10/29

3.73/33Q OOS

Anyone know the best way to get to UR from Boston? I'm probably going to have to make the 8 hr drive aren't I...

Interview Invite!
Complete 8/16
Interview 10/29 - so psyched!

Just found out that there's an airport! Woohoo! (Tickets are pretty cheap too - about $100, cheaper than Amtrak and faster thank goodness!)

If you search with priceline (or whichever site you prefer) the airport can be found as "ROCHESTER,NY" or "ROC"

Last edited:
Interview Invite!
Complete 8/16
Interview 10/29 - so psyched!

To the person above, I have no idea how to get there other than a long drive, sorry :( I'm in NY and have about a 6 hour drive, gotta figure out if there's a train that goes there 'cause I don't drive :rolleyes:
There is.

For the essays, did anyone receive confirmation that they had submitted them? All I see on the essays page is a button that says "Save". Should just clicking Save suffice?

For the essays, did anyone receive confirmation that they had submitted them? All I see on the essays page is a button that says "Save". Should just clicking Save suffice?
If i remember correctly there was no essay here or did i miss it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 8/16... no news yet. anyone else who was complete on this date still waiting? do they send out pre-interview rejections or do they just leave us hanging?

Hey does anyone know what the rate of acceptance is for Rochester? Are they one of those schools that interviews a lot and then waitlists a lot or do interviewees have a good shot?

I have an interview on 10/29 -- trying to figure out what the best way to get to Rochester is...Megabus will probably be the way to go for me (from Boston)...

:xf:

For the post-invite essays, is it enough to hit "save" once I am done typing them in, or is there an actual "submit" button? I technically finished them 6 days before my interview, so I am wondering if there was a submit button that disappeared. Thanks!

Submitted 08/23
Invite Received 09/21
Interview 11/12

3.74/3.64 science
33R
OOS

My first invite, very relieved!

For the post-invite essays, is it enough to hit "save" once I am done typing them in, or is there an actual "submit" button? I technically finished them 6 days before my interview, so I am wondering if there was a submit button that disappeared. Thanks!

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

complete 8/16. no reply yet.

How many essays comes with the interview invite and is there any kind person who would be willing to post the prompts:rolleyes:? I'm contemplating whether to add Rochester... Is it too late?

How many essays comes with the interview invite and is there any kind person who would be willing to post the prompts:rolleyes:? I'm contemplating whether to add Rochester... Is it too late?

Please briefly list your 4 most significant extra-curricular/volunteer experiences – 25 word limit

(no more than a half-page/question)
- What interests do you hope to continue or develop as you pursue your medical education at Rochester?
- Currently, knowing you may change your mind, what medical career pathway (academic, private practice, specialty area) are you considering, and what factors have contributed to your choice?

What do you guys think are the pros and cons of attending Rochester?

I'm still trying to decide whether to add this school.

Hey everyone. I'm new here. Did anyone just get two app complete emails? I got one on 8/16 and one on 9/27...Probably not a good sign.

I just noticed that my letters, which had previously been downloaded in July, were re-downloaded last week :O Could this mean that they're reviewing my app now? Has anyone who has received an interview invitation noticed whether their letters were re-downloaded before they received their invite?

Yup my letters were also downloaded in July, but they were redownloaded last week. Then I got another application complete email. I wonder if that basically puts us on the bottom of the pile again...I hope not!

Yup my letters were also downloaded in July, but they were redownloaded last week. Then I got another application complete email. I wonder if that basically puts us on the bottom of the pile again...I hope not!

I haven't gotten another complete e-mail actually : \ But the business day isn't over yet! I don't think this puts us at the bottom of the pile - it could mean that our apps are going to be forwarded to the admissions committee now! Oh the horror...

Where do you check when your LOR's were downloaded? On the "Document Status" page in the Applicant Portal on Rochester's site?

Where do you check when your LOR's were downloaded? On the "Document Status" page in the Applicant Portal on Rochester's site?

Yes - it should say the name of the letter and then there should be a date and time next to that!

I sent in my secondary on 7/21, my panel letter was uploaded by my undergrad school on 8/19 to VirtualEvals --> AMCAS, I got a complete email from Rochester on 8/20, and my Document Status shows the panel letter was downloaded just last week, on 9/22...

I sent in my secondary on 7/21, my panel letter was uploaded by my undergrad school on 8/19 to VirtualEvals --> AMCAS, I got a complete email from Rochester on 8/20, and my Document Status shows the panel letter was downloaded just last week, on 9/22...
Ya mine were downloaded on same 9/22 after bein on AAMC on 9/02. I got my interview invite today!!!! the questions are not that bad I was dreading another secondary essay but at this point, i really really dont mind doing more!!!!

Mine were also downloaded on 9/22, but I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else hear something?

Hey, does anyone know what Rochester's rotation sites are? I searched their website but couldn't find a list.

The University of Rochester School of Medicine is inside the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC) - Strong Memorial Hospital. That is the primary training site. There are also rotations at Highland Hospital, which is part of the URMC, and is a couple of blocks away. All of the residents at Highland Hospital are University of Rochester residents who are rotating there, and even faculty go back and forth from Strong. Students also rotate at Rochester General Hospital, a community hospital, and Park Ridge Hospital. (There are a couple of other more specific sites too - like for Psych you can rotate at the state hospital, and for Neuro you can be at the VA, but those are just a tiny handful of third years each year).

What are we supposed to see under the document status tab? It shows my letters have been received on 9/30/10, but nothing under transcripts. Is it supposed to show anything there? I already got a complete email from Rochester on 9/30, so maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Hey guys, for the interview essay question regarding the four significant extracurricular activities, do you think its ok to go over the 25-word limit by 10 words?

Complete email mid-August
Interview invite 10/13 (yesterday)
Interview early December

Dr Pepp3r said:
Hey guys, for the interview essay question regarding the four significant extracurricular activities, do you think its ok to go over the 25-word limit by 10 words?

I wouldn't write any more than the 25 words.

First - going over by 10 words is significant, since 10 is 40% of 25 - it will stand out.

Second - they're pretty clear what the purpose of these 25-word descriptions are. They do closed file interviews, where the only information the interviewer will have about your activities are these four 25-word descriptions you write. These are not meant to be standalone descriptions of your activities. They are "teasers" which will function as jumping off points for discussion during your interview. In other words, it's good if they're incomplete in the sense that they leave your interviewer wanting to know more and wanting to ask you questions.

What are we supposed to see under the document status tab? It shows my letters have been received on 9/30/10, but nothing under transcripts. Is it supposed to show anything there? I already got a complete email from Rochester on 9/30, so maybe I'm just being paranoid...
you did not send them any transcript!!! so no it will not show up there... at least mine doesnt

Got the acceptance email this morning! And a call a few hours later! Good luck to the rest of you. :luck:

BTW, I interviewed the 2nd week of September...

Hey does anyone know what the rate of acceptance is for Rochester? Are they one of those schools that interviews a lot and then waitlists a lot or do interviewees have a good shot?

I have an interview on 10/29 -- trying to figure out what the best way to get to Rochester is...Megabus will probably be the way to go for me (from Boston)...

:xf:

From the US News stats, their acceptance rate isn't that great, especially in comparison to some other schools. I believe that it is around 35%, and from last year's thread, there was very little waitlist movement.

So I've been complete since July and my numbers are above their averages but I have heard nothing... Does anyone know if the school is receptive to update letters?

Accepted as well!! I received the email around noon but it went into my spam box so I didn't know until a few hours later when I received the call. Good luck everyone! :luck:

Just got a call this morning that I got in!! Interviewed 9/27. They originally said that it would take at least 8 weeks to hear back for a decision so this was a very pleasant surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.