You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 University of Rochester Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Just got an interview invite! So excited! Totally was NOT expecting this.
Complete: August 30th
Interview: February 28th
Mind sharing your stats?😳
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mind sharing your stats?😳
36Q, 4.00 overall
Complete: 8/30
Rejected: Just now...::sigh::
Me too, pal, me too 🙁
Life's a marathon, not a sprint. Sometimes you gotta trudge through **** to get where you need to be. Chin up.
Rejection... complete 9/28.
Oh well, at least they don't keep us hanging!
Oh well, at least they don't keep us hanging!
Rejected by email today (pre-interview). 🙁
This is the first flat-out rejection of the 15 schools I applied to, so it was bound to happen from somewhere eventually.
Complete 9/22, 3.66 / 33R / In-state.
This is the first flat-out rejection of the 15 schools I applied to, so it was bound to happen from somewhere eventually.
Complete 9/22, 3.66 / 33R / In-state.
Rejected by email today (pre-interview). 🙁
This is the first flat-out rejection of the 15 schools I applied to, so it was bound to happen from somewhere eventually.
Complete 9/22, 3.66 / 33R / In-state.
Well if you guys are getting rejections mine is sure to come soon.
3.5/29Q/OOS. Honestly I'm surprised that I've held on this long......
Just remember when one door closes another opens. Maybe there's a reason you got rejected from this school because there is an amazing opportunity waiting for you somewhere else!
Complete Sept 4th, rejected today pre-interview.
le sigh.
le sigh.
Well if you guys are getting rejections mine is sure to come soon.
3.5/29Q/OOS. Honestly I'm surprised that I've held on this long......
Just remember when one door closes another opens. Maybe there's a reason you got rejected from this school because there is an amazing opportunity waiting for you somewhere else!
Thanks, that is good advice. I would like to think that something good will happen this cycle, but I'm prepared to improve my application and reapply next year, if necessary. My only interview so far resulted in a waitlist, but maybe another invite is around the corner.
Also, don't count yourself out at U of R just because of stats. Stats get applications reviewed, but ECs get people interviews, and your experiences might be very good.
Thanks, that is good advice. I would like to think that something good will happen this cycle, but I'm prepared to improve my application and reapply next year, if necessary. My only interview so far resulted in a waitlist, but maybe another invite is around the corner.
Also, don't count yourself out at U of R just because of stats. Stats get applications reviewed, but ECs get people interviews, and your experiences might be very good.
Thanks, that's encouraging.
I know how you feel though. I've had 3 interviews which have all resulted in "deferred" or "on hold".....
I am currently worried about hearing back from Rochester. I interviewed there on 10/29. But to be honest, my stats are not the highest. I do have a lot of EC and other things to bring to the table. I am saying all this to say, stats don't guarantee an acceptance letter.
Hey guys, I was wondering if being an UR alumni has any bearing on the application. I was complete on 9/1, 31Q, 3.6 GPA, OOS but have heard nothing back as of yet.
Thanks!
Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Staybridge Suites are definitely the closest (right across the river, and there is a bridge that connects to the campus). It costs over 100 / night but its nice and definitely less creepy than some of the other, further away, alternatives.Anyone who interviewed here have any recommendations about where to stay? I'm interviewing 1/7. I've emailed two students about student hosting (one I emailed two weeks ago and the other I emailed a week ago), but I haven't heard back from either. I'm thinking I should start looking for an alternative, but I don't know the area. I'd like to stay as close to the campus as possible. Thank you!
Hey guys, I was wondering if being an UR alumni has any bearing on the application. I was complete on 9/1, 31Q, 3.6 GPA, OOS but have heard nothing back as of yet.
Thanks!
I think it does.. they had a whole page on the secondary asking if you had relatives who either attended/worked for the medical school or hospital. Seems like they strongly favor legacy. Sigh oh well.
Can somebody explain how the random review works?
Where do you guys see this?
I'm interviewing at Rochester later this week... looks like my all-wheel-drive might give me a reasonable chance of actually making it to the interview!
Rejected this morning. First flat-out rejection of the cycle for me.
I was complete way back on August 6th (took them long enough...haha).
Rochester looked like a great school to me, but I guess the adcom didn't think I'd be a good fit. Good luck to everyone else interviewing here!
I was complete way back on August 6th (took them long enough...haha).
Rochester looked like a great school to me, but I guess the adcom didn't think I'd be a good fit. Good luck to everyone else interviewing here!
where did you hear that all interview slots were filled up through march?Looks like all interview slots booked until March. At that point, will there be any slots left or will we just be interviewing for the waitlist?
Well if you guys are getting rejections mine is sure to come soon.
3.5/29Q/OOS. Honestly I'm surprised that I've held on this long......
Just remember when one door closes another opens. Maybe there's a reason you got rejected from this school because there is an amazing opportunity waiting for you somewhere else!
Don't count yourself out just yet. I didn't think I had any shot at an interview (3.8, 30Q) and then I got the invite. It's been about a month and a half since I got it, and I honestly still can't believe they didn't pass me over. Interviewing in early January... afraid I won't be able to speak a word except to say "PLEASE, LET ME COME TO ROCHESTER!!"
rejected today...
bummer. pre or post-interview?
bummer. pre or post-interview?
pre-interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't count yourself out just yet. I didn't think I had any shot at an interview (3.8, 30Q) and then I got the invite. It's been about a month and a half since I got it, and I honestly still can't believe they didn't pass me over. Interviewing in early January... afraid I won't be able to speak a word except to say "PLEASE, LET ME COME TO ROCHESTER!!"
Thanks for the encouragement! It gives me hope (although your GPA is significantly better than mine!). I love the idea of going to Rochester but I'm really trying not to get my hopes up too much.
Good luck on your interview!

I had to register for an interview, earliest slot available was in March.where did you hear that all interview slots were filled up through march?
Just called the admission office - asked how much longer interviews are offered and she said through the end of January - thats just to get the invite, not sure when they would actually take place...
Not good news to hear that scheduling is up to March already
👎
Not good news to hear that scheduling is up to March already
👎
Looking at last year's thread there seemed to be minor waitlist movement. They do have a really small class (104) and a good portion of their class is occupied by people who are in the BS/MD program with their undergrad, the MD/PhD program which is a different pool, and linkage programs with post-bacs at Bryn Mawr and Johns Hopkins... I think in the end its like ~75 seats for regular MD admissions, maybe slightly less I'm not 100% sure.waitlisted...
34S, 4.0.
Idk if this is a school with a lot of waitlist movement or if I should figure that as a no... 🙁 any opines?
But it can happen! so keep optimistic and good things could happen come this spring!

Waitlisted. 33P, 3.90/3.93. Shame.
I don't know if this has been addressed... for those of you who have written the two essays for your interview, do you think the half-page limit corresponds to when text is single-spaced?
Yes- single space is the norm unless you are turning your essays in to someone who is a teacher and needs to grade them.
Are we basically just interviewing for the wait list at this point as in there is only room for truly exceptional students?
Also, how long does it normally take to hear back from admissions?
Did they say this somewhere? I'm interviewing next week... I'd like to think it's not a "wait list interview."
Did they say this somewhere? I'm interviewing next week... I'd like to think it's not a "wait list interview."
I don't know for sure. There has just been a string of wait listings lately for people with better scores than mine... So, I am concerned that they are getting really picky. So, I am asking opinions.
Also, I interview soon too.
Also, how long does it normally take to hear back from admissions?
They say it takes 6-8 weeks but I heard back in something like 2.5 weeks. They make decisions 1ce a month (I believe early in the month) so it depends on a) when you interview and b) if your interviewer(s) get your notes in on time.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete: 8/30
Rejected: 1/6
No interview offered.
40S, 3.64 GPA, Penn undergrad
Seriously? WTF? I'm out of state though. Is anyone able to shed light on rejections that I'm qualified for at least in numbers? This is the second school that was mostly a safe bet that has done this to me. Someone said they won't even bother if a school thinks I am unlikely to go there because I might have better options, is that true?
Rejected: 1/6
No interview offered.
40S, 3.64 GPA, Penn undergrad
Seriously? WTF? I'm out of state though. Is anyone able to shed light on rejections that I'm qualified for at least in numbers? This is the second school that was mostly a safe bet that has done this to me. Someone said they won't even bother if a school thinks I am unlikely to go there because I might have better options, is that true?
Complete: 8/30
Rejected: 1/6
No interview offered.
40S, 3.64 GPA, Penn undergrad
Seriously? WTF? I'm out of state though. Is anyone able to shed light on rejections that I'm qualified for at least in numbers? This is the second school that was mostly a safe bet that has done this to me. Someone said they won't even bother if a school thinks I am unlikely to go there because I might have better options, is that true?
Sorry to hear that Jovialape. The same thing has happened to me a couple of places.
I just don't think that there's a way to shed light on rejections based on numbers alone.
That's probably true to a degree. Schools obviously have an interest in recruiting applicants who want to go there (read: will enjoy being there and be happier, more productive students), but that's not the whole story either.
It's a fairly random process at best (within reason).
Out of state doesn't matter, Rochester is private. And every top 50 medical school receives so many kids who are qualified in numbers that they have to make selections based on your extracurricular activities/letters/PS/things that aren't numbers. Rochester I feel is particularly large on this non-numbers portion.
In summation, medical school admissions isn't law school admissions and everything isn't about numbers, but I am sure that with a 40 on the MCAT you will get it somewhere awesome!
In summation, medical school admissions isn't law school admissions and everything isn't about numbers, but I am sure that with a 40 on the MCAT you will get it somewhere awesome!
Rejected, 29Q 3.5 OOS. Meh
Didn't really have much hope for this place in the beginning w/ my stats.
Good luck everyone else!
Didn't really have much hope for this place in the beginning w/ my stats.
Good luck everyone else!
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K