You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 University of Rochester Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
MSTP program!! Definitely helped me get out of the post-rejection-from-vanderbilt depression!!
In case you're wondering-
3.8/34Q OOS, Complete: 8/18, Interview Invite: 9/20, Interview Date: 10/20-21, Acceptance: 11/22
It was a phone call from the director of the program. Sooooooooooooooo happy 😀😀😀 Hope all of you get good news soon!!
In case you're wondering-
3.8/34Q OOS, Complete: 8/18, Interview Invite: 9/20, Interview Date: 10/20-21, Acceptance: 11/22
It was a phone call from the director of the program. Sooooooooooooooo happy 😀😀😀 Hope all of you get good news soon!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed around the same time as you did - haven't heard anything.
Hell, some people with Sept interviews still haven't heard anything back yet.
Nevertheless, I think we are going to hear something this upcoming week...
Cool, thanks!
Good luck with everything.
Why is this upcoming week so special?
I'm one of those people that has not heard anything and I interviewed in sept.
I just expected to hear in Jan by this point!
I'm one of those people that has not heard anything and I interviewed in sept.
I just expected to hear in Jan by this point!
Congrats. Hey, my prediction earlier was correct I guess...
Did you get an email notification or status updates on the web portal -- or just the call?
Hey, Thanks!
So far just the phone call. They said they will be snail mailing me something soon. Perhaps I will also get an email, but as of now, just the call.
accepted just now via phone call!
interviewed 10/13/11
Good luck everyone!
I was 10/17...
L
laj85
Just got wait-listed here. Interviewed 10/31. Bummer. Good luck all.
Hey can anyone give me any information on what type of interview the University of Rochester has or any of the questions they typically ask.... Thanks!
http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/rochester/survey/26
Hey can anyone give me any information on what type of interview the University of Rochester has or any of the questions they typically ask.... Thanks!
Hey. You will have two interviews, both of which will be blind. Prior to interview day, you will be required to fill out a small amount of information (4 most meaningful experiences) on the applicant portal that will be available to the interviewers. Besides what you provide, and your name/school, they won't know anything. Overall, I really enjoyed the interview. It was very conversational and pleasant. Non stressful. Best of luck!
Wait listed today via e-mail. Boo. Interviewed 10/17. Good luck to everyone! 

D
deleted261193
does anyone know if rochester accepts pre-interview updates? and what format?
They do! I sent mine as a pdf attachment to an email. It should show up on your status page after you send it! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted261193
thank you!!! 🙂 🙂 good luck to you
I wish I would hear something from this school. I was complete 8/16 but haven't heard anything--positive or negative.
I am thinking of sending an update letter...
I am thinking of sending an update letter...
thank you!!! 🙂 🙂 good luck to you
Good luck to you too!!! Hopefully we'll be hearing something soon! I'm getting so tired of waiting, and you can't even call them to ask what's going on with your app. They'll get angry. 😡
if this helps at all.. I received a complete email 8/3 and received an interview invite 11/17... so it looks like it takes awhile.
good luck
good luck
Interviewed earlier, but haven't heard anything yet.
Best of luck to everyone!!!
Best of luck to everyone!!!
Last edited:
II today!!!!! You have no idea how excited I am. If anyone else is interviewing at the end of January/early February, let me know! Also, I'm from Rochester so if anyone has any questions...let me know!!!
II today!!!!! You have no idea how excited I am. If anyone else is interviewing at the end of January/early February, let me know! Also, I'm from Rochester so if anyone has any questions...let me know!!!
Nice!
Congrats to all those receiving invites! I had a great time in Rochester at my interview day. Good luck to all.
Has anyone who interviewed early November heard back yet?
I interviewed early in October and haven't heard anything yet.
I have my interview on 1/9! I'm really excited for it. I love upstate NY and they sent me a really nice brochure after I submitted my primary. =]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted261193
+1 here. if you call, let me know what they tell you...
+2
has anyone else here been complete since the summer and hasn't been rejected but hasn't gotten an interview invite? I'm debating whether i should contact the admissions office to see what's going on.
+3
has anyone else here been complete since the summer and hasn't been rejected but hasn't gotten an interview invite? I'm debating whether i should contact the admissions office to see what's going on.
+4
+5has anyone else here been complete since the summer and hasn't been rejected but hasn't gotten an interview invite? I'm debating whether i should contact the admissions office to see what's going on.
Why is everyone so scared to call? What's the worst thing that could happen?
I don't think my +5 implied that I am "scared to call." More that I am the 6th, or read differently, "original poster + 1,2,3,4, FIF" poster in the same boat.Why is everyone so scared to call? What's the worst thing that could happen?
D
deleted261193
awww just got a pre-interview rejection via email =\ oh well!
Got a pleasant surprise on Friday with an acceptance call from Rochester 🙂
Secondary submitted June 23rd
Complete Aug 4th
Invite Oct 3rd
Interviewed Nov. 17th
Accepted Dec. 16th
Secondary submitted June 23rd
Complete Aug 4th
Invite Oct 3rd
Interviewed Nov. 17th
Accepted Dec. 16th
I very recently received an interview invite from Rochester, and the earliest interview dates are in early February. I know it's already late in the cycle, so my chances of being accepted would be slim, and it would be expensive for me to fly up there. Should I interview anyway?
Hey...myself just got an interview and kind of wondering the same thing. I don't think the chances are all that slim though...the interview dates went through mid-march...so there's still a month left of interviewing. Given that, I feel like there's still a legit chance at Rochester however if you've already gotten in somewhere or are interviewing at places just as prestigious that are more accomodating then maybe that may be your best bet....anyone know if interviewing in early February is too late? I was under the impression that it wouldn't be but is it?
just got an invite! i also got into NYU so I'm not sure if it's worth traveling to the interview...thoughts? how is Rochester with financial aid?
I don't know exactly how they are with financial aid but the class size for Rochester is right at 100 so I would assume that they would be pretty good/flexible about it. I grew up in Rochester and can tell you while the city has some cultural aspects and certainly has a nightlife scene that it would not compare to NYC although I don't know if that makes a difference. I also looked at last year's thread and seems that most of the people getting interviews in February were almost all placed on the waitlist...so I'm not sure if interviewing here in February is more for waitlist than actual admittance which kind of sucks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone with a lower verbal or uneven MCAT been interviewed or accepted?
I don't know how negatively Rochester's admissions would see my score but I don't know if it would be worth applying.
I'm an in stater and Rochester is one of my dream schools, but I'm afraid my 8 in verbal will screen me out before anyone can consider my application.
my breakdown was 34Q VR 8, PS 13, BS 13
Also did the school seem to put more emphasis on community service and clinical volunteering, or more on research? I have a stronger research background versus a volunteering background.
I don't know how negatively Rochester's admissions would see my score but I don't know if it would be worth applying.
I'm an in stater and Rochester is one of my dream schools, but I'm afraid my 8 in verbal will screen me out before anyone can consider my application.
my breakdown was 34Q VR 8, PS 13, BS 13
Also did the school seem to put more emphasis on community service and clinical volunteering, or more on research? I have a stronger research background versus a volunteering background.
I got an 8 in VR and have gotten 4 interviews this cycle...I think its the "cutoff" anything below and red flags start to appear. Your other scores are more than competent and I assume your GPA is on par as well. Given that and your research experience, you are absolutely fine. I find that people have so similar stats that the difference between someone with an 8 in VR or a 10 in VR is so miniscule given that that there are so many other factors in play. I wouldn't fret as for your research question - again not a big deal spin it the way you want to when your given an interview and connect to some aspect of medicine that you find deeply interesting and you should be fine...it shouldn't keep you out
Thank you so much, I feel a bit more relieved knowing you can get interviews with an 8. 🙂I got an 8 in VR and have gotten 4 interviews this cycle...I think its the "cutoff" anything below and red flags start to appear. Your other scores are more than competent and I assume your GPA is on par as well. Given that and your research experience, you are absolutely fine. I find that people have so similar stats that the difference between someone with an 8 in VR or a 10 in VR is so miniscule given that that there are so many other factors in play. I wouldn't fret as for your research question - again not a big deal spin it the way you want to when your given an interview and connect to some aspect of medicine that you find deeply interesting and you should be fine...it shouldn't keep you out
For everyone wondering about February interviews... I interviewed in February! And I have others in my class who also interviewed then. With any school, if you are interested and think you might have the "what if" kind of feeling if you don't check it out, then you should interview. If it's super expensive to get here, then you may have to weigh things more-- do you have an acceptance that you are thrilled about? I really, really love Rochester and still am so thrilled with the school after being here for 4 years. At my residency interviews when people ask how I ended up in Rochester, I gush. So if I didn't come interview here, I know I definitely would have had that "what if" thought. You just need to figure out if you will or if you are happy with what you have!
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K