Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
YesAnyone on the hpwl still waiting?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
YesAnyone on the hpwl still waiting?
To all current Einstein students:
Can someone please talk a bit about textbooks? Do students need textbooks for classes (ie need to buy hardcopies?) Are there pdf versions (or any other digital version) of textbooks available? Or do students just use slides from lectures to study?
Also, if textbooks ARE required, can someone please post a list of the titles, authors, editions, etc?
Thanks!
hello, this is a quick question for current einstein students
How much of your curriculum is pbl or small group vs traditional lecture ?
secondly typically how long is your day i.e when do lectures normally start and end?
I'd say approximately 20-30% pbl, 70-80% lecture. Really depends on the course.
1st and 2nd year usually is from 9am-4ish.
Doc einstein (and any other AECOM students), could you share your opinion on using an ipad/tablet during the first two years, for note taking and studying? It seems like AECOM has the best video/slide synching system out there for lectures, which is great for review, but I'm also wondering if it's worth the investment to get one of these devices that lets you annotate powerpoints, pdfs, store study materials, etc. And if you have any recommendations on which kind of device and which apps (assuming you use them) work best, that would be appreciated too. Thanks
Any AECOM students wanna shed some light on whether the large class size at AECOM (183, if i'm not mistaken) has affected their experience? Do you like it? Do you prefer the class was smaller? Is the class broken up into smaller groups like other schools with large classes? Does it help or hurt your learning? Thanks!
hello, this is a quick question for current einstein students
How much of your curriculum is pbl or small group vs traditional lecture ?
secondly typically how long is your day i.e when do lectures normally start and end?
To all current Einstein students:
Can someone please talk a bit about textbooks? Do students need textbooks for classes (ie need to buy hardcopies?) Are there pdf versions (or any other digital version) of textbooks available? Or do students just use slides from lectures to study?
Also, if textbooks ARE required, can someone please post a list of the titles, authors, editions, etc?
Thanks!
Gosh doc Einstein you are the best ! I have more questions.
Do the apartments take single or twin beds ?
How often do you have tests,quizzes or exams ?
Do most students get the health insurance or get something else ? It is pretty steep in price.
Thanks once again
Gosh doc Einstein you are the best ! I have more questions.
Do the apartments take single or twin beds ?
How often do you have tests,quizzes or exams ?
Do most students get the health insurance or get something else ? It is pretty steep in price.
Thanks once again
Gosh doc Einstein you are the best ! I have more questions.
Do the apartments take single or twin beds ?
How often do you have tests,quizzes or exams ?
Do most students get the health insurance or get something else ? It is pretty steep in price.
Thanks once again
Hey Doc Einstein, do you know when the school sends out room assignments?
Can some of Einstein's current students comment on this thread?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=593648
It's been a few years since then, but it's still a little troubling. That policy sounds ridiculous, but I think I remember hearing about it from someone else as well. The school should be trying to get their students into the best residencies possible, if only for their own image, such a policy works against both the school and the students? Hopefully they've addressed this? I was specifically referring to the "ugly" portion.
Can some of Einstein's current students comment on this thread?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=593648
It's been a few years since then, but it's still a little troubling. That policy sounds ridiculous, but I think I remember hearing about it from someone else as well. The school should be trying to get their students into the best residencies possible, if only for their own image, such a policy works against both the school and the students? Hopefully they've addressed this? I was specifically referring to the "ugly" portion.
I'll answer the ugly part since I'm a 4th year. To a point this policy isn't what it seems - and as a fourth year you are fine with interviews.
A more detailed answer: in 4th year you have 4 months required and 7 months to do whatever you want with plus 1 interview month in dec. If you have a required Sub-i (2 months of the 4 required months) during the interview months (and mostly you chose to schedule it that way) you are allowed to miss 5 days/month without having to repeat part of the Sub-I. If you miss greater then 5 days you may have to repeat part of the Sub-I that you missed. Missing 5 days is very doable if you apply to something like derm where you might have to go on 30+ interviews (including TY/prelims). If that is the case then don't schedule your Sub-I during interview months... otherwise just bite the bullet and repeat part of it. and to put it in perspective, allowing you to miss basically 25% of your sub-I for interviews without any make up is generous. The other two required courses Neuro and Amb medicine are much more easy to fit your schedule around.
Einstein is a great choice, esp now that I'm looking toward residencies. Last year people in the specialty that I'm applying into (semi-competitive) matched at amazing programs (east and west coast) with average board scores and third year grades. If you are a rockstar here you will go even farther.
As most of you know - Beth Israel Medical Center (part of Continuum Healthcare) is a clinical affiliate of Albert Einstein, and serves as Einstein's Manhattan campus. Continuum is currently in the process of merging with Mount Sinai, which means that Beth Israel will soon be a Sinai hospital. Can any current students at Einstein shed light on how the Continuum-Sinai merger is going to affect the Beth Israel-Einstein affiliation? I know that if the merger goes through, the faculty at Beth Israel will no longer be affiliates of Einstein, but will actually be Sinai faculty. Does this mean Einstein students lose the opportunity to rotate through Beth Israel in the near future?
I'm aware that this may be a sensitive issue, but I just cant seem to find any information on this whatsoever on the internet. I've asked staff who work for Beth Israel and all they can tell me is that the merger is essentially assured and is in the midst of taking place.
Thanks in advance for any insight!
I noticed that Einstein's academic calendar page has certain holidays marked off in September (Rosh Hashanah, Succoth, Shemini Atzeret, Simchat Torah)...are classes not held on these days?
Has Einstein started giving out student Id's or room assignments yet ?
I noticed that Einstein's academic calendar page has certain holidays marked off in September (Rosh Hashanah, Succoth, Shemini Atzeret, Simchat Torah)...are classes not held on these days?
To all current students:
What textbook is used for the first class (molecular and cellular foundations of medicine?) If possible, please give the title, author, and edition! Thanks!
To all current students:
What textbook is used for the first class (molecular and cellular foundations of medicine?) If possible, please give the title, author, and edition! Thanks!
MCFM is a multi-month long course with 6 different sections/topics. (eg genetics, immunology, cancer, etc)
Different textbooks for each section, although for many of the sections you don't need the actual textbook. I don't have the list with me now but PM me an ill do my best to get it to you.
I recommend not buying anything yet though. Often you don't rlly need the book, and also many of the books we have as PDFs
Same for me, except they keep asking me to email things I emailed over month ago...Is anybody still waiting on their financial aid award ? I don't want to get annoying by calling the office but I am beginning to get scared. I thought 07/07 was the deadline to accept any award you may have been given.
Are you talking about the scholarship and research awards for free loan money or the straight up FAFSA loans?
Has anyone accepted off the waitlist received a service & research scholarship yet?
Any waitlist movement lately?
Do you know how he found out? Through snail mail or e-mail?Some kid from my church got in off the waitlist and they got the service and research scholarship. $30,000 I think.
Do you know how he found out? Through snail mail or e-mail?
give them a call. (I assume you're talking about regular aid--loans, etc?) They told me over the phone what my award was, but even if it's ready you might want to ask them how you can get started applying for loans etc, as it took another two or three weeks for the actual letter to reach me.he said phone call then snail mail.
On another note, is anyone still waiting to hear back from financial aid ? I didn't know it took this long. Should I start worrying or am I still ok ?
It ain't over until school starts. Keep hoping keep dreaming. Einstein may be called home for u in just under a month
Just rejected from the wait list. Interviewed Feb. 1, wait listed about two weeks later.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.