You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Any current students who were choosing between here and Sinai have time to talk? Hit me up.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
i wonder what proportion of the class is made of accepted waitlisters. maybe 1/4 or 1/3?
Yeah between 1/3 and 1/2
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Wow 1/2! That is quite a lot. And quite encouraging for my buddies on the waitlist! Thanks, mmmcdowe.
I think I'm definitely going to Columbia at this point, so any others of you who are equally enthusiastic... Can't wait to meet you in the fall if I didn't already at second look! I love this school.
Between one third and one half, just to emphasize. Closer to 1/3 I'd imagine, but it varies year to year.
How long does Columbia (or possibly all schools under AAMC rules) give you to make a decision if they choose to accept you off the waitlist? I'd assume that since most of us will know shortly after May 15, we can still only hold one acceptance. How quick does that response have to be?
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
How long does Columbia (or possibly all schools under AAMC rules) give you to make a decision if they choose to accept you off the waitlist? I'd assume that since most of us will know shortly after May 15, we can still only hold one acceptance. How quick does that response have to be?
About two weeks.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
This years step 1 saverage is out for our school: 241, same as last year.
This years step 1 saverage is out for our school: 241, same as last year.
beastly?
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Second highest ever recorded (Penn had a confirmed 242 a few years ago) that was legit (meaning all MD students who took it that year, no exceptions).
Second highest ever recorded (Penn had a confirmed 242 a few years ago) that was legit (meaning all MD students who took it that year, no exceptions).
wtf...
I'm going crazy from indecision
Do you think it's moreso the students that they choose to go to Columbia or is there something about the curriculum/structure?
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Baylor has a confirmed 244 this year, typically the highest year-to-year followed by Columbia, Penn, and others.
Confirmed how? Not on their website at least.
http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/successindicators.html
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
wtf...
I'm going crazy from indecision
Do you think it's moreso the students that they choose to go to Columbia or is there something about the curriculum/structure?
I'm sure the curriculum helps, but yeah I think most scores have to do with the student body. FWIW people fail to realize that a standard deviation on the step 1 is 22 points or more.
I think this data might be outdated and for 2009. I have heard the 244 number was on the new USNWR, but I could be wrong.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think this data might be outdated and for 2009. I have heard the 244 number was on the new USNWR, but I could be wrong.
On USNWR, the most recent data for step 1 is from 2012. The baylor average is reported as 241. Columbia is listed as 237. I don't know how reliable these figures are however because I've spotted a lot of mistakes in the statistics listed on USNWR before.
On USNWR, the most recent data for step 1 is from 2012. The baylor average is reported as 241. Columbia is listed as 237. I don't know how reliable these figures are however because I've spotted a lot of mistakes in the statistics listed on USNWR before.
Lol and also, for Columbia, it says only 20 student scores were evaluated, while 163 were evaluated for Baylor. wtf lol
On USNWR, the most recent data for step 1 is from 2012. The baylor average is reported as 241. Columbia is listed as 237. I don't know how reliable these figures are however because I've spotted a lot of mistakes in the statistics listed on USNWR before.
Lol and also, for Columbia, it says only 20 student scores were evaluated, while 163 were evaluated for Baylor. wtf lol
Good catch. I'm glad I didn't pay to get access to incorrect stats. Regardless, Columbia's track record is ridiculously impressive and I hope to be able to continue that tradition ~3yrs from now.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Lol and also, for Columbia, it says only 20 student scores were evaluated, while 163 were evaluated for Baylor. wtf lol
That's really weird. 20 is the approximate number of MD/PhD students so IDK.
well. this is where im going next year! hi classmates!!
im 100% decided 👍
im 100% decided 👍
well. this is where im going next year! hi classmates!!
im 100% decided 👍
Congrats buddy! See you in August!
La la la, May 15 is still about 3 weeks away
Keep us updated!!
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
have some offers already been made for those on the waitlist?
Maybe one or two, but now's a great time to send an update letter.
how do i accept my spot to become part of the class of 2017? what do i need to do?
how do i accept my spot to become part of the class of 2017? what do i need to do?
were you accepted off of the waitlist or earlier in march?
After sitting in front of the computer for an hour with my finger poised over the button, I have withdrawn.
Good luck everyone....and God speed. I hope a writer takes my place.
Good luck everyone....and God speed. I hope a writer takes my place.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After sitting in front of the computer for an hour with my finger poised over the button, I have withdrawn.
Good luck everyone....and God speed. I hope a writer takes my place.
Congrats medauthor on your awesome cycle!! What have you decided on?
Congrats medauthor on your awesome cycle!! What have you decided on?
Mount Sinai
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
for columbia, do most of the waitlist offers come on may 15th? or are the offers spread over several days mid-may?
Spread out through May and early June.
I tried calling to speak with Dean Nicholas, but I was told by whoever answered the phone that all communication should be via uploads to the application website.
:/
:/
D
deleted503015
Withdrawing. Good luck waitlisters!
Well, movement from WL has definitely begun. Good luck to everyone!!
That's great! How do you know it has begun?
I got in off the waitlist around 4 pm yesterday! So movement has definitely started. Good luck!
Congrats Soma50! Did you get a phone call? Hoping for good news

Yup Dean Nicholas called meCongrats Soma50! Did you get a phone call? Hoping for good news![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much movement has there been recently? Hoping for some good news..
Recently off the waitlist yay!! So excited!
Question.... What do I do about financial aid? How do I find out what my aid package is?
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Recently off the waitlist yay!! So excited!
Question.... What do I do about financial aid? How do I find out what my aid package is?
They will mail it to you, if it is like past years. You should fill out the need access and fafsa stuff.
Recently off the waitlist yay!! So excited!
Question.... What do I do about financial aid? How do I find out what my aid package is?
Congrats, smallone! Been rootin for ya. Fingers crossed we get to be classmates 🙂
Recently off the waitlist yay!! So excited!
Question.... What do I do about financial aid? How do I find out what my aid package is?
They emailed me mine
Withdrew my acceptance, hope the waitlist moves some more for you guys.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K