2025-2026 Columbia (Vagelos)

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chilly_md

Full Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2025-2026 Columbia Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Did you work for compensation during college (either during the school year or summers)? If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)

2. If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (300 words)

3. Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions. (300 words)

4. Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (300 words)

5. Is there anything else you would like us to know? (400 words)


Good luck to all applying!

Interview Feedback:

 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Did you work for compensation during college (either during the school year or summers)?
Yes/No
If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)
2. If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (300 words)
3. Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions. (300 words)
4. Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (300 words)
5. Is there anything else you would like us to know? (400 words)

@chilly_md @wysdoc
 
+1 OOS MD/PhD.

Edited to add MSTP-specific prompts (in addition to all of the MD prompts listed above):

1. What academic honors have you received (e.g., prizes, scholarships, fellowships, honor societies)? (1000 words)
2. What are your major research interests? (20 words)
3. What are your PhD Goals at Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons? (1000 words)
4.Is there any other information you would like to include to the admissions committee? (1000 words) [this is in addition to the additional info prompt provided in the MD portion of the application]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
+1 OOS MD

For Prompt 1 ("Did you work for compensation during college..."), is it alright to write significantly under the word limit of 300? All of my employment during college was part-time research, and I have already explained what I did in these roles in my Work/Activities section. Padding this essay out for me would mean repeating a lot of this information.
 
+1 OOS MD

For Prompt 1 ("Did you work for compensation during college..."), is it alright to write significantly under the word limit of 300? All of my employment during college was part-time research, and I have already explained what I did in these roles in my Work/Activities section. Padding this essay out for me would mean repeating a lot of this information.
I am in a similar position as you (part-time research in college), and I used about 150 words
 
for any md-phd applicants, do you know if the experiences tab (5) is supposed to be all employment history or relevant research employment? thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone know if the "Anything Else" prompt is a good spot for a "Why Us" type of essay for Columbia specifically? some schools feel better or worse about those in the Anything Else space -- any insight is greatly appreciated!
 
Stuck on two things and would appreciate advice/thoughts 🙂

For #1, should I be writing something meaningful/including a story or reflection, or just listing what I did and the dates/hours? I've worked a few different jobs, so it would be hard to give thoughts about all of them within the word count. I get the feeling that it's not really asking for reflection, but I'm not sure.

For #2, I graduated in May and have just been working full-time at my clinical job since then, so I'm not sure how to fill the rest of the 300 characters. I also moved apartments and I saw my brother's graduation/got to see family which was really important to me, but I don't know if that's relevant or info they'd want me to write here. I could do an anecdote+reflection from my job, but I've already talked about it in my PS and in my MME essay and don't want to be too repetitive. Any advice? TY!
 
Stuck on two things and would appreciate advice/thoughts 🙂

For #1, should I be writing something meaningful/including a story or reflection, or just listing what I did and the dates/hours? I've worked a few different jobs, so it would be hard to give thoughts about all of them within the word count. I get the feeling that it's not really asking for reflection, but I'm not sure.

For #2, I graduated in May and have just been working full-time at my clinical job since then, so I'm not sure how to fill the rest of the 300 characters. I also moved apartments and I saw my brother's graduation/got to see family which was really important to me, but I don't know if that's relevant or info they'd want me to write here. I could do an anecdote+reflection from my job, but I've already talked about it in my PS and in my MME essay and don't want to be too repetitive. Any advice? TY!

1. I didn't do reflection on mine for a similar reason. I just listed the job, location, general description, and hours/time period. The question doesn't seem to be looking for more than that.

2. I don't know if this essay is the place to write family-related stuff?? At least, I thought it was mainly for continuing/new activities... I wouldn't try to pad the essay with words for the sake of hitting the word limit - if you've only been working in your clinical job, then just state that + maybe a short reflection. But you haven't continued volunteering/ECs or picked up any new hobbies and skills?

anyway, just my 2c! this is how I answered my secondary for Columbia
 
1. I didn't do reflection on mine for a similar reason. I just listed the job, location, general description, and hours/time period. The question doesn't seem to be looking for more than that.

2. I don't know if this essay is the place to write family-related stuff?? At least, I thought it was mainly for continuing/new activities... I wouldn't try to pad the essay with words for the sake of hitting the word limit - if you've only been working in your clinical job, then just state that + maybe a short reflection. But you haven't continued volunteering/ECs or picked up any new hobbies and skills?

anyway, just my 2c! this is how I answered my secondary for Columbia
i stopped volunteering bc the stuff i was doing was associated with my university and i graduated, and i'm also dealing w/ some lot of mental health stuff and treatment for that 15 hours a week on top of work has been brutal but i cant mention that rip). i feel like my best options are to either explain that i've been having non-specific "health challenges" or to write something brief abt my job bc i honestly have not done anything of interest since graduating, but i'm worried that they're going to wonder what i've been up to as a red flag. pls dont feel obligated to respond btw ur advice is already super helpful <3
 
i stopped volunteering bc the stuff i was doing was associated with my university and i graduated, and i'm also dealing w/ some lot of mental health stuff and treatment for that 15 hours a week on top of work has been brutal but i cant mention that rip). i feel like my best options are to either explain that i've been having non-specific "health challenges" or to write something brief abt my job bc i honestly have not done anything of interest since graduating, but i'm worried that they're going to wonder what i've been up to as a red flag. pls dont feel obligated to respond btw ur advice is already super helpful <3
ohh I see, okay that makes sense! I'm sorry to hear you're going through that :^(( but those are definitely important extenuating factors - you should mention them in the "anything else" question IMO! that seems like the proper place for it
 
Does anyone know what to write in the "comments" section of the question where it asks, "Have you previously applied to medical school?" Are they just asking for the years that we applied, or are we supposed to mention what is different compared to last years application? I am a reapplicant to medical school but not to Columbia.
 
for meaningful leadership question, is it better to focus on 1 of my most meaningful ones and really dive into that experience? or to write about several with less info
 
for meaningful leadership question, is it better to focus on 1 of my most meaningful ones and really dive into that experience? or to write about several with less info
since the prompt says "positions" having 2 is good and making a storyline where they interconnect and show your evolution. My friend who got in talked about 1 non-mme leadership and 1 MME leadership. I talked about 1 MME and 1 non-mme that were tied.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 OOS MSTP

for MSTP folks, did you just receive an md-phd interview? is there a separate md invite that we are supposed to receive?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad