2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Please describe your parents' occupations: (250 char.)

2. If your first and last name is often mispronounced, how do you pronounce it? (250 char.)

3. Have you previously applied to P&S? (Yes/No)

If yes, briefly summarize your activities since your previous application:

4. If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)

5. In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage? (250 words)

6. Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer?
YesNo
If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (250 words)

7. If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (300 words)

8. What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? (250 words)

9. Is there anything else you would like us to know? (300 words)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is my number one choice above all schools. I would LOOOOOVE to get in here!

Let me mark this thread, I will come back later. Yay Columbia!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I'm a 3rd year student on the new curriculum here at Columbia. I finished the major clinical year in December and I'm now doing my Scholarly Project followed by a year off to pursue clinical research. Feel free to shoot me any questions that you may have along the way. Good luck!

mmmcdowe - what are your thoughts on Columbia being obsessed with numbers? I have been told that if you aren't around their averages (37 MCAT I believe) and didn't cure cancer, then you shouldn't apply. Just curious if there is truth to this.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :love:

Sincerely,
-not worthy

mmmcdowe - what are your thoughts on Columbia being obsessed with numbers? I have been told that if you aren't around their averages (37 MCAT I believe) and didn't cure cancer, then you shouldn't apply. Just curious if there is truth to this.

Columbia's average MCAT is about 35.8 every year for the matriculating class. I would say that, while academic excellence is a factor, Columbia is heavily invested in outside interests and passions as well. I'd daresay more so than any other school. This is part of the reason why they interview so many students (~1200). Extracurriculars are a major part of our culture. The P&S club, which is a formal funded organization on campus founded in 1894, oversees something around 70 active clubs on campus that include a full rugby team, a theater troupe putting on three plays a year, an arts magazine, a medical journal, countless interest groups, four student run clinics, etc. Every application is read from start to finish to see what a given applicant can add to our cultural diversity. While they aren't representative of the average joe here, we have been blessed with professional athletes, actors, a miss america contestant, a knife thrower, Olympians from several countries, etc, etc. There are no score cutoffs here.

Here is the current club list

http://psclub.columbia.edu/clubs-organizations

Almost all of them are fairly stable, though a few have come and gone over the years (photography club just got up and running again, with a dark room in Bard Hall, food tasting interest group has declined, juggling and magic club will probably only be a fad, etc).

Hi all, I'm a 3rd year student on the new curriculum here at Columbia. I finished the major clinical year in December and I'm now doing my Scholarly Project followed by a year off to pursue clinical research. Feel free to shoot me any questions that you may have along the way. Good luck!

I don't have any research experience. Do you think that would be a drawback for Columbia?

I don't have any research experience. Do you think that would be a drawback for Columbia?

Most students have some research experience prior to attending to Columbia. However, it is not universal and can be compensated for if your application has other strengths.

My composite MCAT score is 36 but with VR = 9. Would I be at disadvantage?
My GPA is 4.0 and my extracurricular activities are standard (research, volunteering, shadowing and school clubs). I am Canadian.

Please let me know!

My composite MCAT score is 36 but with VR = 9. Would I be at disadvantage?
My GPA is 4.0 and my extracurricular activities are standard (research, volunteering, shadowing and school clubs). I am Canadian.

Please let me know!

Frankly, I can't say for sure but it sounds like your numbers are fine.

Frankly, I can't say for sure but it sounds like your numbers are fine.

I see. Thanks for the quick reply.
EDIT: I am just worried because I saw this on the website:
MCAT scores--- Applicants who meet our academic requirements in scientific courses typically have MCAT scores of 11 or better on all of the numerically scored portions of the test

Also, what are some traits/experiences that Columbia looks for? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. Thanks for the quick reply.
EDIT: I am just worried because I saw this on the website:
MCAT scores--- Applicants who meet our academic requirements in scientific courses typically have MCAT scores of 11 or better on all of the numerically scored portions of the test

Also, what are some traits/experiences that Columbia looks for? :)

Yes, typically but not always. What can I say, higher is always better but at least your MCAT is average for our school and you have a strong GPA.

There is no "mold" for what makes a good applicant to Columbia. Passions within and without of medicine is a common feature of students. The axiom set forth by the former Dean of Admission for 30 years, Dr. Frantz, who is responsible for Columbia's philosophy that medical school should be a university experience, was "Would I want this person as my doctor?"

From the website:
Diversity
Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons is a world leader in medical education, research, and clinical practice. This success stems from Columbia's dedication to diversity in thought, education, and selection of students. Columbia does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, or sexual orientation. Individuality is paramount at Columbia and the diverse student body and faculty exemplify this.
Medicine is an evolving landscape, with the science and those it seeks to serve constantly transforming. The issues and perspectives addressed are a function of the diversity and experiences of those participating. Columbia educated Physicians are uniquely equipped to assess and respond to the changing environment as a result of their diverse viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds. In doing so they succeed in furthering research, changing policy, and improving healthcare in the world around us.

Here is something unrelated to what you asked that I wrote last cycle. It's still worth a read:

.We are pass fail unranked during pre-clinicals.. The unranked part is the most important part, as a lot of schools say they are pass fail but have an internal system of rankings. Our system is not about slacking off and just breezing by, everyone works hard and the average grades have not changed since before the system was instituted. What it does is take as much of the anxiety out of medical education as possible and gives you the confidence to take advantage of the free time that is naturally built into the pre-clinical curriculum. So you can do volunteering, do fun things, do research, do shadowing, or just figure out what you want to do with yourself after medical school without a nagging voice in the back of your head eating away at you because you are terrified of getting a 99 and not a 100. Pre-clinical grades and rankings are ultimately not highly valued by residency directors, so you aren’t losing out on anything when compared to the confidence to build your resume in other ways.

..Columbia is well known for it's emphasis on outside activities, many of which are overseen by the P&S club. The P&S club is an umbrella organization that is formally run by the university with full time staff that work to maintain it and assist student groups. This is assisted by the fact that we have the oldest and largest alumni association of any medical school. This year alone we’ve had about 55 million dollars in donations, some of which goes towards funding the P&S club. The Alumni Association also buys every first year a Litmann III stethoscope and pay for an annual book signing gala with Dr. Eric Kandel (he invented memory essentially and won a nobel prize. He is also one of our professors in neuroscience). As far as organizations go, we have a wide number of clubs. For fun, we have the ultrasounds, our a capella group. We also have bard hall players, which I mentioned before, and the musicians guild. This group forms our pit for BHP musicals and also hosts a musical event every month known as Musical Mondays. We also have Bacchus, our wine tasting club. We also have the less formal Beerchus, Vodkus, and Whiskus. We have the squash club and the rugby team known as the Orthopedics. I find this funny because of the fact that the ortho department essentially donates a few thousand dollars to them and gets a million dollars in business from broken bones. We also have four tudent clinics known as COSMO, CHURON, an unnamed one, and “champ”. COSMO focuses on the uninsured while CHHMP focuses on the homeless. Cosmo is whenever you want to sign up where as CHHMP is a steady commitment for all four years with the same patient set. This allows you a more longitudinal look at health care than one can usually get in medical school. CHURON focuses on high risk individuals (IV drug use, HIV+, domestic violence). The fourth one doesn't have a name per se, but it focuses on people seeking asylum in the United States on the grounds of torture. These patients are required to have a physical exam in order to assess the validity of their claims (if their condition is consistent with torture or can in any way support their claims). It is a very new (hence nameless) and unique club. We also have a great interest groups who have great activities within them. The Whipple Society, our surgery interest group, has the transplant pager program. Basically, when the intern is too tired to go you get called up and hop and a plane to go assist a organ harvest. You aren’t being handed the scalpel and being told to hack away, but you do get to be a part of the team and do something that you very likely won’t ever do again unless you go into surgery for residency. You can go do acute stroke workups with the neuro interest group, learn blood drawing and suturing with the ER interest group, literally catch babies with the OB/GYN interest group, and learn to read magazines really well with the anesthesiology interest group. There are plenty of others, so go to the P and S club website (search P and S club Columbia) for a full list. The bottom line is, because of our deemphasized grading system during the pre-clinical year and a half you will have the confidence to take advantage of these groups for fun and for academic development. The idea is that medical school should be a university experience as well. For example, you are allowed to take up to 2 free classes per semester at any school or department on campus..

. Housing is guaranteed to all medical students, but is Dorm style for the first year followed by apartment style for as long as you care to stay on campus. On campus housing is not required but it is convenient. About 80% students stay on campus for the first year and then maybe 60% stay on after that. There are optional meals served 3 nights a week that are all you can eat and allow you to take leftovers. They were 5 dollars a day this year I think. There are a number of places to eat around campus, especially if you are prone to exploration like I am. Yeshiva University is a little north of us, and they have a number of eating and drinking establishments nearby. The undergraduate campus is a 5-10 minute subway ride away (or a free intercampus shuttle ride), with a very large college district around and to the south of it. It's 20 minutes to Columbus Circle (59th street), 25 to the west village, and about 30 minutes to the east village by subway. JFK is further away, but you can take a direct subway ride up to Columbia for those who are interviewing in the future. It is possible to take public transport for NYLG, but it is kind of a pain to navigate if you are new to the area.

I have a question: How do people have the time to get involved in clubs and still study the immense amount of material required for medical school?

I have a question: How do people have the time to get involved in clubs and still study the immense amount of material required for medical school?

+1 .. i always wondered!

Medical school is like eating 10 pancakes a day. It's doable as long as you are religious in eating your pancakes. If you stop and try to cram later on, that's when it starts to hurt. You will find that at all medical schools with 1.5 and 2 year pre-clinical curriculums that there is some time for extra-curricular pursuits. At Columbia, you don't have MORE free time, per se, but I feel that they really strive to give you the confidence to take advantage of it. It's a very low stress environment thanks to unranked pass fail, few quizzes (all of which are half individual and half group and ~5 questions), and tons of optional material that lets you optimize your learning strategy as you go along and discard any low yield learning styles along the way. So basically you get to determine your goals and when you have mastered the material to satisfaction without worrying about that little voice in the back of your head goading you to memorize random appendix entries, etc. My opinion of pre-clinical grades is that they are much more likely to hurt you if you do badly than help you if you do top-notch, whereas taking advantage of your pre-clinical free time to destress, figure out what you want to do with your life, do research, do volunteering, etc etc is much more likely to help you.

Medical school is like eating 10 pancakes a day. It's doable as long as you are religious in eating your pancakes. If you stop and try to cram later on, that's when it starts to hurt. You will find that at all medical schools with 1.5 and 2 year pre-clinical curriculums that there is some time for extra-curricular pursuits. At Columbia, you don't have MORE free time, per se, but I feel that they really strive to give you the confidence to take advantage of it. It's a very low stress environment thanks to unranked pass fail, few quizzes (all of which are half individual and half group and ~5 questions), and tons of optional material that lets you optimize your learning strategy as you go along and discard any low yield learning styles along the way. So basically you get to determine your goals and when you have mastered the material to satisfaction without worrying about that little voice in the back of your head goading you to memorize random appendix entries, etc. My opinion of pre-clinical grades is that they are much more likely to hurt you if you do badly than help you if you do top-notch, whereas taking advantage of your pre-clinical free time to destress, figure out what you want to do with your life, do research, do volunteering, etc etc is much more likely to help you.

What are the things you do to destress? Do you feel you have more time after clinical years? Have you or any of your classmates taken advantage of the free courses there? What do you think fo the cities

What are the things you do to destress? Do you feel you have more time after clinical years? Have you or any of your classmates taken advantage of the free courses there? What do you think fo the cities

Well for destressing I am involved in a variety of groups on campus such as Bard Hall Players, an interest group, a student clinic, and I occassionally attend wine/beer tasting club events and the social events held by the school. I am also a passionate giver of tours :D. Outside of school, I am an amateur single malt whisky taster. I also enjoy video games, relaxing with my roomates, going to off broadway theater performance (and on broadway when tickets are cheap/free). Post clinical year, life is pretty good at Columbia and at most, if not all, schools. I have taken advantage of the free courses, as have many of my classmates. I took a history of medicine class in my pre-clinicals and I'm signing up for a biostats course to be taken during my research year. I love NYC.

Well for destressing I am involved in a variety of groups on campus such as Bard Hall Players, an interest group, a student clinic, and I occassionally attend wine/beer tasting club events and the social events held by the school. I am also a passionate giver of tours :D. Outside of school, I am an amateur single malt whisky taster. I also enjoy video games, relaxing with my roomates, going to off broadway theater performance (and on broadway when tickets are cheap/free). Post clinical year, life is pretty good at Columbia and at most, if not all, schools. I have taken advantage of the free courses, as have many of my classmates. I took a history of medicine class in my pre-clinicals and I'm signing up for a biostats course to be taken during my research year. I love NYC.

You're part of the Bard Hall Players group?! That's pretty cool :cool: What's the time commitment for that, or something like the P&S Dance club considering you're preparing for a performance like Coffeehouse or something? What do you think of Harlem/Washington Heights? Also, I was wondering if you met any other med students from around the NY areas and what the differences were in the NYC experience (adjusting/freetime/networking) compared to students experiences from NYU/Cornell/...?

You're part of the Bard Hall Players group?! That's pretty cool :cool: What's the time commitment for that, or something like the P&S Dance club considering you're preparing for a performance like Coffeehouse or something? What do you think of Harlem/Washington Heights? Also, I was wondering if you met any other med students from around the NY areas and what the differences were in the NYC experience (adjusting/freetime/networking) compared to students experiences from NYU/Cornell/...?

The time commitment for BHP varies on your part. It can be once every week or two, or it can be several days a week several hours each day. When I performed in the Dance Show a couple years ago, I was practicing 1-2 times a week for a couple hours each time.

I have met many students from a variety of schools in the city, as we have mixers with them. I don't feel comfortable making judgments about their school's based on those interactions, but I will say that it has been my experience that Sinai and Columbia students seem to have the most in common and that NYU and Sinai tend to be who we interact with most, whereas my experiences with Cornell and Einstein students have been much more limited. There are a lot of possible reasons for that (Cornell is smaller, Einstein is further away, etc), so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

I did not participate in any research during my UG years and will be starting at Columbia this August! There is no "cookie cutter" mold that all students have to fit in! Don't give up!

applying to Columbia for the hell of it. Hopefully my "story" will set me apart as my stats are pretty mediocre for Columbia :p

I'd say this thread has just tipped me over the edge. I'll be applying to Columbia soon!

It seems, at least from last years application thread, that there is a secondary regarding awards. I do not have any major awards to speak of (other than deans list and small scholarships). Would it be safe to assume that a majority of accepted students can fill this question with a substantial list?

It seems, at least from last years application thread, that there is a secondary regarding awards. I do not have any major awards to speak of (other than deans list and small scholarships). Would it be safe to assume that a majority of accepted students can fill this question with a substantial list?
I didn't have really any awards either. A majority of accepted students can NOT fill this question with a substantial list. It's a remnant from a much more archaic admissions process where AMCAS didn't exist. They just are giving you a chance to include anything that didn't make it to amcas that you wanted to include (as well as the amcas stuff).

I'm really interested in the Columbia-Bassett program. Does anyone know how competitive it is and how many slots are open this year?

I'm really interested in the Columbia-Bassett program. Does anyone know how competitive it is and how many slots are open this year?

Very competitive, more so than even normal MD admissions. There are about 10ish spots and 1000 applicants a year.

I'm applying; pre-writing based on last year's secondary. Hopefully it's the same.

I am very interested in Columbia's curriculum and recently sent my primary out to them among others. Comments on this thread have led me to believe I might not be too far off but I am curious if I should spend more time with secondaries at other schools. Bio-Medical Engineer with 3.87 gpa and 33 mcat. 2 years research for multiple projects, volunteering and the rest. The program looks amazing! Fingers crossed.

Am i correctly seeing that the secondary last year was only 750 character limit? Seems tiny... Im having trouble fitting 1000 character limit essays. 750 is like 3/4ths of a paragraph...

Am i correctly seeing that the secondary last year was only 750 character limit? Seems tiny... Im having trouble fitting 1000 character limit essays. 750 is like 3/4ths of a paragraph...
Yup, it was 750 chars last year. Good luck :)

I always wonder how anyone can form definitive opinions of a person based on such a small secondary essay. I mean thats restrictively small! I guess its all about knowing exactly the right things to say haha

Hello,

I'm interested in Columbia's MD/MPH program. Can only current medical students apply to this? Or can medical school applicants (like me) apply as well?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'm interested in Columbia's MD/MPH program. Can only current medical students apply to this? Or can medical school applicants (like me) apply as well?

Thanks in advance.

I don't recall if you can apply into it as an applicant, but it is very easy to get into the program once you are a medical student. Columbia also allows you to complete your MPH at any institution you care to. The catch is if you do it at other schools you actually have to legitimately apply to their program when you are a medical student, rather than just sliding into the Columbia one.

I don't recall if you can apply into it as an applicant, but it is very easy to get into the program once you are a medical student. Columbia also allows you to complete your MPH at any institution you care to. The catch is if you do it at other schools you actually have to legitimately apply to their program when you are a medical student, rather than just sliding into the Columbia one.

I am extremely interested in this route as well. I have spoken with members in the admissions faculty and I am also a part of the Summer Public Health Scholars program. An applicant cannot apply for this program but they are allowed, once in the medical school, to take a leave between their 3/4 years to pursue an MPH at Mailman.

I was wondering how the classes are structured at Columbia. The website talks a lot about the curriculum, but not so much about if the "Fundamentals" year is mostly lecture based or if students work in groups (problem based learning).

I was wondering how the classes are structured at Columbia. The website talks a lot about the curriculum, but not so much about if the "Fundamentals" year is mostly lecture based or if students work in groups (problem based learning).

Lecture is typically from 9am to 12PM. On various days there may be a small group from 12-1 or from 11-1. Twice a week on average you will have afternoon classes (anatomy first semester, psych, epidemiology, dermatology, etc later on). There is also an evening physical diagnosis preceptorship with an attending on one of the 3 other evenings. The classes and content vary semester to semester, but that is essentially the standard structure. Both small group and lectures are non-mandatory except if there is a patient or a quiz/exam scheduled. All lectures are recorded and small group materials are online.

Hey could anyone feed me into to some insight on how to really get the College of Physicians and Surgeons to take me seriously. I mean my gpa isn't great; I'll be honest. Also, I just took the MCAT back in May of this year and I might be getting my scores later today. I am just hoping that I did well on the MCAT to look impressive enough. I do have extra-curricular activities and I have been very involved in my university throughout since I was a freshman and had/have some leadership roles and positions. Would that seem impressive to them and other schools? Serious comments and replies would be greatly appreciated along with some messages too. Haha thanks guys and have an awesome day!

p.s. good luck to my fellow class of 2017 hopefuls :)

Hey could anyone feed me into to some insight on how to really get the College of Physicians and Surgeons to take me seriously. I mean my gpa isn't great; I'll be honest. Also, I just took the MCAT back in May of this year and I might be getting my scores later today. I am just hoping that I did well on the MCAT to look impressive enough. I do have extra-curricular activities and I have been very involved in my university throughout since I was a freshman and had/have some leadership roles and positions. Would that seem impressive to them and other schools? Serious comments and replies would be greatly appreciated along with some messages too. Haha thanks guys and have an awesome day!

p.s. good luck to my fellow class of 2017 hopefuls :)

The what are my chances forum would be an excellent resource for you, provided you give extensive information about your EC's, MCAT, and GPA. The general answer to your question is "yes, Columbia and other schools like EC's."

you're right haha thanks

The what are my chances forum would be an excellent resource for you, provided you give extensive information about your EC's, MCAT, and GPA. The general answer to your question is "yes, Columbia and other schools like EC's."

How can you specify that you want to apply to the Columbia-Bassett program?

How can you specify that you want to apply to the Columbia-Bassett program?
It has been in the secondary in the past.

Of note, if you apply for Bassett and are rejected, you are considered for the MD program on an equal footing as if you had just applied MD.

Has anyone received a secondary invite? If so, please post the prompts! Thank you.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Columbia secondary? I am able to log in but when I click to start the actual secondary it brings me back to the log in page!

Has anyone else had a problem with the Columbia secondary? I am able to log in but when I click to start the actual secondary it brings me back to the log in page!

I'm sure if people had received it, this thread would've already blown up. When did you get the secondary? I've been verified for over a month and still haven't received it.

Don't worry, I tried a few times today and had the same problem. Kept sending me back to the long in page or to an error screen. Was going to call tomorrow to see what's up.

I'm sure if people had received it, this thread would've already blown up. When did you get the secondary? I've been verified for over a month and still haven't received it.

I received the secondary this morning:

Dear [your name here],
We invite you to complete the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons secondary application. Below you will find the link and login information for the P&S online secondary application.

And then it talks about the username and password with a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.