2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it too late to submit a secondary here?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I somehow ended up having a dream last night that I got accepted to Harvard Med (acceptance email and phone call and everything).

Does this mean that I have a good shot of getting in when I do apply? Please advise.

(I'm actually not kidding about the dream. I think it's because I read this thread before I went to bed).

No one answered my question. How rude...

Sucks that Harvard and Hopkins second look fall on the same weekend. What is one to do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Anyone received the snail mail packet yet / anyone last year know if they go out right away?

I was really hoping it would arrive by tomorrow... now I'm thinking next week. :(

First off, sorry if the following is poorly written, I am using a phone to write this.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who thinks Wangers is annoying? I happen to read some of the school specific threads that she posts on (which is quite frankly almost all of them). Now she is on Yale's thread talking about being worried if she'll get waitlisted there and how she is going to fight hard to get off of it if that happens. I read on here so many times that Harvard HST was her favorite program, and was even happy for her when she got her acceptance. It is such a slap in the face to realize that she's been saying the same about so.many.different.schools.

Wangers, I overlooked the enormous frequency with which you posted all across SDN, sometimes even preaching to the fellow SDN users to withdraw their applications unless it was their top choice. To some people, it may have come across as a grand gesture, a selfless deed, but to others including myself, your preaching was just really overbearing and annoying. Perhaps you should listen to your own advice and narrow down your "top choices" to just a few. It seems that all top schools (except Penn) ARE your favorites.

I am happy that you have gotten into so many great places including your dream school (well, schools.) You clearly are a strong applicant, and you deserve it. However, you seem like just another gunner to me. My head hurts from seeing your posts everywhere, and you are the reason I have been avoiding SDN. It is time for self-reflection and inward thinking to figure out where you REALLY want to go. Posting everywhere about your love for every school isn't going to do that for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, sorry if the following is poorly written, I am using a phone to write this.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who thinks Wangers is annoying? I happen to read some of the school specific threads that she posts on (which is quite frankly almost all of them). Now she is on Yale's thread talking about being worried if she'll get waitlisted there and how she is going to fight hard to get off of it if that happens. I read on here so many times that Harvard HST was her favorite program, and was even happy for her when she got her acceptance. It is such a slap in the face to realize that she's been saying the same about so.many.different.schools.

Wangers, I overlooked the enormous frequency with which you posted all across SDN, sometimes even preaching to the fellow SDN users to withdraw their applications unless it was their top choice. To some people, it may have come across as a grand gesture, a selfless deed, but to others including myself, your preaching was just really overbearing and annoying. Perhaps you should listen to your own advice and narrow down your "top choices" to just a few. It seems that all top schools (except Penn) ARE your favorites.

I am happy that you have gotten into so many great places including your dream school (well, schools.) You clearly are a strong applicant, and you deserve it. However, you seem like just another gunner to me. My head hurts from seeing your posts everywhere, and you are the reason I have been avoiding SDN. It is time for self-reflection and inward thinking to figure out where you REALLY want to go. Posting everywhere about your love for every school isn't going to do that for you.

Thank you! I can only take so many heart emoticons. When she brought her friend in here asking about Yale vs penn vs whatever I knew it was all too ridiculous. I'd tone it down, wangers. You're driving some people nuts. You even post in groups of places you haven't even applied! Chill, take a deep breath, and appreciate what you have.

Last edited:
Thank you! I can only take so many heart emoticons. When she brought her friend in here asking about Yale vs penn vs whatever I knew it was all too ridiculous. Also, from the HMS accepted students group, it's not difficult to see who the Asian chick from Berkeley is. I'd tone it down, wangers. You're driving some people nuts. You even post in groups of places you haven't even applied! Chill, take a deep breath, and appreciate what you have.

LOL. Or Wangers and her "friend" are the same person. And she advises people the opposite of what she herself would do.

I'm willing to bet wangers is a glorified troll. I can't imagine anyone behaving the way she does.

I'm willing to bet wangers is a glorified troll. I can't imagine anyone behaving the way she does.

LOL. Or Wangers and her "friend" are the same person. And she advises people the opposite of what she herself would do.

Thank you! I can only take so many heart emoticons. When she brought her friend in here asking about Yale vs penn vs whatever I knew it was all too ridiculous. Also, from the HMS accepted students group, it's not difficult to see who the Asian chick from Berkeley is. I'd tone it down, wangers. You're driving some people nuts. You even post in groups of places you haven't even applied! Chill, take a deep breath, and appreciate what you have.

I don't even know why I'm even posting in here, but:

u-jelly-brah-300x300.jpg

THANK YOU for posting this.

Yesss Ive been saying this to myself and another friend this whole entire time. Im not jealous, Im really happy for her and she deserves it. But her posting all over everywhere with those darn hearts is just flipping annoying!! Glad to know Im not the only one who thinks the same

Last edited:
Yesss Ive been saying this to myself and another friend this whole entire time. Im not jealous, Im really happy for her and she deserves it. But her posting all over everywhere with those darn hearts is just flipping annoying!! Glad to know Im not the only one who things the same

Same, it's a running joke in my lab. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love: Wangers, you are nationally known. Brava!

+1, i'm waiting for wanger's decision (press conference??) before making mine,really don't want to spend 4 years together

+1, i'm waiting for wanger's decision (press conference??) before making mine,really don't want to spend 4 years together

Same, it's a running joke in my lab. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love: Wangers, you are nationally known. Brava!

Yesss Ive been saying this to myself and another friend this whole entire time. Im not jealous, Im really happy for her and she deserves it. But her posting all over everywhere with those darn hearts is just flipping annoying!! Glad to know Im not the only one who thinks the same

THANK YOU for posting this.

Thank you! I can only take so many heart emoticons. When she brought her friend in here asking about Yale vs penn vs whatever I knew it was all too ridiculous. I'd tone it down, wangers. You're driving some people nuts. You even post in groups of places you haven't even applied! Chill, take a deep breath, and appreciate what you have.

ZOMG one of ze internets ppl is annoying me!!!1111elevenoneone. In any case, the guaranteed 4 step solution:

1. Click wangers name.
2. Click "Add wangers to ignore list."
3. ???????
4. Profit!!!

And now back your regularly scheduled neurotic school-specific threads.

Last edited:
sounds like a bunch of jealous dudes hating on another successful female... I think wangers' attitude is refreshing compared to all the others talking smack about respective schools and really making those accepted applicants less excited about their future. She's like SDN's little cheerleader. Her favourites are probably a reflection of how well the admissions committee put together showing off their school which is great. That's what second look is for, to distinguish amongst "favourites", no one really knows until after checking it out again and getting the financial aid package. So, why hate when we need more love/optimism in this forum... I would be honoured to have wangers as my colleague in the future in medicine any day. This thread is about those lucky few getting into Harvard, so let's close this disrespectful discussion about one of SDN's most successful applicants this cycle.

sounds like a bunch of jealous dudes hating on another successful female... I think wangers' attitude is refreshing compared to all the others talking smack about respective schools and really making those accepted applicants less excited about their future. She's like SDN's little cheerleader. Her favourites are probably a reflection of how well the admissions committee put together showing off their school which is great. That's what second look is for, to distinguish amongst "favourites", no one really knows until after checking it out again and getting the financial aid package. So, why hate when we need more love/optimism in this forum... I would be honoured to have wangers as my colleague in the future in medicine any day. This thread is about those lucky few getting into Harvard, so let's close this disrespectful discussion about one of SDN's most successful applicants this cycle.

I don't agree with the existence of the lynch-mob, but you realize disregarding their concerns outright as sexism is just as bad, right?

This fall, I'm going to take my talents to South Beach

[YOUTUBE]VyvavfpEwbI[/YOUTUBE]

Be sure to tune into ESPN at 4:30pm on May 15, where Wangers will make her national TV debut :love:

Haha, I laugh now but with application numbers increasing every year and people embracing social media even more, it wouldn't surprise me if this happens someday...

Edit: I've never seen that video before just now. That was REALLY anticlimactic. The reporter's just like "are you f***ing kidding me?"

Has anyone received their acceptance letter/packet in the mail? I'm hoping it will arrive early this week. :)

I am a female and I don't think it has anything to do with sexism. I also don't think it is an issue with jealousy. I think a lot of people, regardless of their application success, find wagners pretty annoying. Some of the advice she gives goes against her own actions and every school is her favorite!

If wagners isn't a trolling (and she and her annoying "friend" are not one in the same), then I hope she takes these comments to heart and takes a deep breath. If I were her, I would appreciate honest feedback. Posting a million posts a day takes lots of time and I would want it to help people...not makes them want to jump off a bridge.

I'm sorry :( :( :( :(
I didn't consider the greater consequences of my actions, this whole process went from very stressful to very exciting pretty fast. I'll tone down my presence. And hearts. This should be a mature forum.

To address earlier comments:
1) I don't operate my friend's account, she made it herself.
2) I have many favorite schools/programs (I'm an optimist), but my top choice is Yale. Best fit for me and I like the school. I'll otherwise be going to HST or UCSF next year, pending visits during Second Look Weekends in April in case Yale doesn't work out.
3) I'll stop posting things.
4) The only advice I gave that contradicted my own actions was in the Columbia/Vanderbilt poll. That was on the verge of trolling, but both are incredible institutions. Otherwise, I haven't given any advice contradicting my own actions--correct me if I'm wrong.
5) Please don't gang up on me. After seeing my high school friends go off to amazing schools on the east coast while I remained on waitlists, I understand what jealousy can do, and it's weird being on the other side of it this time around.
6) Don't just choose a school because I'm not going there. Make your decisions based on what school is best for you, not because you're trying to avoid me. I'm really nice in person, I promise.

Good luck to all of you. Byebye :love:
~Wangers

PS- My username was chosen because it's similar to my last name, but I recently discovered that apparently UrbanDictionary has a pretty funny definition for my username... :laugh:

PPS- No actual public announcement of where I matriculate. The above was a joke. I'm not LeBron James.

Edit: This is the Harvard thread, not the Wangers thread. Back to business. Go Crimson!!!

I never really ever come on these boards. In the few times I have come here, I've seen you doing some of what these other people are complaining about and I have just one thing to say - keep doing you man. Look. I applied to this school to (and I'm here undergrad) and they didn't take me and it P%$$ED me the F%#K off and I will hold it against this school forever - but despite this, even I can see that all of you complaining about Wangers (seriously, hilarious name) need to chill. You should be ashamed of yourselves man. What you're doing is NOT okay. I'm a competitive @$$-hole who has now sworn a life-long intifada against HMS and all its students -- but even I can tell that you all are just hating. If Wangers really wanted to troll, she'd be gloating. Goodness, just let people be happy.

Now, having said all of this, Wangers - I'm hoping you do get into Yale.
1. Because, you're right, Yale is kind of awesome.
2. If you do go to HMS, you'll be on my list.
But kidding aside, don't stop posting and don't stop being engaged in the conversation just because some people cannot separate their disappointment from their aggression. This school in particular has a way of bringing out the worst in people because people become so consumed by the idea of going to Harvard that they shelve the parts of themselves that want to be happy; Harvard - the name itself is toxic. Keep doing you man. Ride on! Ya boy's outy

Man I hate to be snarky but it's just gotten so over the top that I can't help it. Plus, it's SDN, come on. Wangers is definitely the topic of convo and eye rolling among my SDN reading friends too, although I think I find her more troll-funny than annoying most of the time.

but yeah, I would put some money down that her friend and her are one and the same, and that she's just the biggest troll SDN has ever known. Now THAT would be great, wouldn't it.

For real though Wangers, do you. Acting like the mother teresa/cheerleader hybrid of SDN will bring on the haters, but if you're serious about how crazy perfect your cycle has been, then who even gives a flip, really.

Why all the backlash? If this happened every time a SDN poster annoyed some people, that's literally all this forum would be. I can't help but think that it's not just what Wangers has written that has ticked you guys off. And in my own opinion, she really hasn't done anything wrong. She's generally constructive, occasionally funny, and relatively humble - even if she has an "in-your-face" way of going about things.

Why all the backlash? If this happened every time a SDN poster annoyed some people, that's literally all this forum would be. I can't help but think that it's not just what Wangers has written that has ticked you guys off. And in my own opinion, she really hasn't done anything wrong. She's generally constructive, occasionally funny, and relatively humble - even if she has an "in-your-face" way of going about things.

It's not one annoying post it's a life time of annoying posts. Listen wagners, anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you worse advice. If you truly are not a troll, then make real friends and celebrate with them. :love::love::love::love::love:

It's not one annoying post it's a life time of annoying posts. Listen wagners, anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you worse advice. If you truly are not a troll, then make real friends and celebrate with them. :love::love::love::love::love:
Go be a dick somewhere else.

Go be a dick somewhere else.

Ok this thread has gotten a little out of hand. While I can understand some of the sentiment regarding wangers and the issues with trolling, I don't agree with the lynch mob. Everyone has made their point. I think we should all just move on.

Congrats to all the HMS accepts. I recently graduated and I think you all will enjoy your time. There is some waitlist movement (I personally know 1 person who got in after being waitlisted) after May 15. So good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I never really ever come on these boards. In the few times I have come here, I've seen you doing some of what these other people are complaining about and I have just one thing to say - keep doing you man. Look. I applied to this school to (and I'm here undergrad) and they didn't take me and it P%$$ED me the F%#K off and I will hold it against this school forever - but despite this, even I can see that all of you complaining about Wangers (seriously, hilarious name) need to chill. You should be ashamed of yourselves man. What you're doing is NOT okay. I'm a competitive @$$-hole who has now sworn a life-long intifada against HMS and all its students -- but even I can tell that you all are just hating. If Wangers really wanted to troll, she'd be gloating. Goodness, just let people be happy.

Now, having said all of this, Wangers - I'm hoping you do get into Yale.
1. Because, you're right, Yale is kind of awesome.
2. If you do go to HMS, you'll be on my list.
But kidding aside, don't stop posting and don't stop being engaged in the conversation just because some people cannot separate their disappointment from their aggression. This school in particular has a way of bringing out the worst in people because people become so consumed by the idea of going to Harvard that they shelve the parts of themselves that want to be happy; Harvard - the name itself is toxic. Keep doing you man. Ride on! Ya boy's outy

I echo everything said here (including the part about having a vendetta against HMS for not giving even an interview to an H undergrad) except the part about Yale being awesome (agnostic about that). Be you wangers.

For everyone else, there are plenty of characters at HMS. I almost think they screen for it (as opposed to my school, where one of the criteria an interviewer told me she used was simply 'not weird'). Get used to it.

I echo everything said here (including the part about having a vendetta against HMS for not giving even an interview to an H undergrad) except the part about Yale being awesome (agnostic about that). Be you wangers.

For everyone else, there are plenty of characters at HMS. I almost think they screen for it (as opposed to my school, where one of the criteria an interviewer told me she used was simply 'not weird'). Get used to it.

lmfao at username

I echo everything said here (including the part about having a vendetta against HMS for not giving even an interview to an H undergrad) except the part about Yale being awesome)

Hahahaha It's funny you make this point lol. After 4 years of bashing on Yale, I kept asking myself "could I really go to Yale?" I did some work with the admissions office, and I would get the occasional HYP cross admit for admin-week as a hostee. A few were actually split between Yale and Harvard. I would always look at them in a really pretentious manner and say, "I could see you giving up H for Stanford maybe Princeton...but YALE?! Never Yale...don't go to Yale." lol

This has been disheartening to read. I'm leaving SDN now. Amazing what this site does to people. I hope by the time you're all attendings, you are nicer people.

To those who have supported me (KDizzle, Tots, others), your kindness has been greatly appreciated and this forum is so much better with you guys.

PS- Feel free to PM me on MDApps.

I'm just posting several detestable heart emoticons as a protest of all this absurdly harmful and insensitive cyber-bullying (anonymity doesn't make it okay, a-h0l3s):

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Wangers, there are certainly people on here who appreciate your comments and who are truly saddened by what has happened on this forum. Such behavior is completely unacceptable.

I'm just posting several detestable heart emoticons as a protest of all this absurdly harmful and insensitive cyber-bullying (anonymity doesn't make it okay, a-h0l3s):

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Wangers, there are certainly people on here who appreciate your comments and who are truly saddened by what has happened on this forum. Such behavior is completely unacceptable.
Amen.

Anyone know how often/how many hours you are in PBL per week?

Congrats to everyone that got accepted here! Granted choosing Harvard over other acceptances is a bit of a no brainer (well at least for the most part), its about that time of the year that you guys start letting up those spots you're holding onto at other schools. It would mean a lot to us "less fortunate" folks.

Thanks in advance!

- Waitlisted

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone that got accepted here! Granted choosing Harvard over other acceptances is a bit of a no brainer (well at least for the most part), its about that time of the year that you guys start letting up those spots you're holding onto at other schools. It would mean a lot to us "less fortunate" folks.

Thanks in advance!

- Waitlisted
I do not think it is a no brainer to choose Harvard. I am most likely going to choose my state school!

I do not think it is a no brainer to choose Harvard. I am most likely going to choose my state school!

Then why even apply to Harvard?

Last edited:
To the waitlisted: have any of you received "a letter confirming your wait list status, and financial aid information for wait listed candidates," as described in the 3/4 email? Would love to know, thanks!

Thanks in advance!

- Waitlisted

I am also having a hell of a time deciding between HMS and my state school. Sooo....

Status
Not open for further replies.