2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected. On the plus side, it was a very nice rejection letter...

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected. No surprise as I haven't heard a peep from them since July :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted last night, holding on for Penn and Yale now

Ah, rejected. Probably for the best, since I couldn't have afforded to fly out for one more interview anyway. Cheers!

Ah, rejected. Probably for the best, since I couldn't have afforded to fly out for one more interview anyway. Cheers!

They require another interview? :scared:

(Also I noticed my posts on this list have elevated me from "New Member" to "Junior Member" on sdn, lol, at least got some promotion out of the waiting process)

I never got an interview :) I knew this rejection was coming for a few months.

haven't gotten my waitlist/rejection email yet.. there's still hope!

just kidding, as soon as i post this i'll probably get that rejection. ah, harvard.

accepted to Harvard, Penn, Yale, P&S, and Hopkins? "crapshoot" :p
I don't think that helps other applicants feel better...:eek:

This is the same attitude that made that guy on the Columbia thread question your "altruism".

Regardless, you've obviously worked hard and I do think that it's natural and somewhat good to gloat for a little bit. Be proud of your accomplishments that you have earned and I am glad I'm not in your shoes: having to pick between so many wonderful institutions. Good luck:thumbup:

In a way, I'm just glad the wait was over. Couldn't eat, sleep, or speak to people properly because of the tension all weekend. And yet, out of all the bad news, the wait list from Harvard brought the most tears and bouts of depression. It's like the end of a dream I've had all my life :(

Today, though, is a new day. Congrats to all accepted! You have so much going for you! I will keep hoping that my remaining two schools show me some mercy.

This is the same attitude that made that guy on the Columbia thread question your "altruism".

Regardless, you've obviously worked hard and I do think that it's natural and somewhat good to gloat for a little bit. Be proud of your accomplishments that you have earned and I am glad I'm not in your shoes: having to pick between so many wonderful institutions. Good luck:thumbup:

Wangers wasn't bragging she was commenting on the other poster who said the process was a crapshoot because he got into Penn, Harvard, Yale, etc. She was pointing out that most people would not consider that a "crapshoot."

accepted to Harvard, Penn, Yale, P&S, and Hopkins? "crapshoot" :p
I don't think that helps other applicants feel better...:eek:
I guess my point was that I got rejected from UNC, BU, and GW while getting into these other schools. Who would think that GW would reject a person, and then that person ends up getting into several top 10 schools? The point is that there is little method to the madness of med school admissions, so people shouldn't be too hard on themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there separate NP and HST rejection emails? Got the NP, but only interviewed HST

I'm sorry, I'd be remiss to not express my sincere regret to those who were rejected. Like another member expressed, it does become a little bit of a crapshoot. I remember getting into Harvard, Penn, Yale, P&S, Hopkins,etc. but I was rejected at GW, Boston U, and UNC Chapel Hill. It never feels good, but none of us really get in everywhere. Remember, this news really says very little to nothing about the strength of your app. I wish you all the very best, and I'm sure you're all going to become great physicians. Good luck and Godspeed.

Obviously you haven't met Wangers haha...

In a way, I'm just glad the wait was over. Couldn't eat, sleep, or speak to people properly because of the tension all weekend. And yet, out of all the bad news, the wait list from Harvard brought the most tears and bouts of depression. It's like the end of a dream I've had all my life :(

Today, though, is a new day. Congrats to all accepted! You have so much going for you! I will keep hoping that my remaining two schools show me some mercy.
We do accept people off of the wait list...just so you know. A friend of mine from class said he didn't even hear from them until like JUNE, yet he's in. It's not over yet.

I guess my point was that I got rejected from UNC, BU, and GW while getting into these other schools. Who would think that GW would reject a person, and then that person ends up getting into several top 10 schools? The point is that there is little method to the madness of med school admissions, so people shouldn't be too hard on themselves.

I agree. I believe that many people would consider this process a crapshoot in that sense. I'm sure stellar applicants like tots and wagners will receive a higher proportion of acceptances in more prestigious institutions. I'm not saying that individuals cannot increase their odds of acceptance at an institution, but ultimately there are a myriad of variables and no concrete method to ensure your acceptance at any institution. A Rhodes scholar not getting accepted is a pretty good example of this, and this is not to take away from any of the hard and amazing efforts produced by wagners and others. You guys are all amazing and I can't wait to work with you in the future as your colleague.

Understood. I guess high stats really get you far in the application process.

Anyways, I withdrew from Cornell (pre-decisions), Chicago, and Columbia this morning. Hopefully opens another spot at Cornell before they launch their decisions on the 15th, and one less person a waitlist headache. Others accepted to NP/HST should really give others a break too, it will make the decision game that much less stressful. To all those continued by Chicago or waitlisted by Columbia, I hope you get my spots!!! :) :love:

That is awesome. I hope you guys continue to use this forum while in medical school and perhaps give others some advice on how you have been able to be so successful. Also, I think it would be neat if you were to write in a few years how your experience has been at HMS.

Can those of you that were accepted please withdraw from Mayo at this point? Thank you. :laugh:

Actually, people accepted to HMS should just withdraw from everywhere else! Follow my lead and troll the med schools into making them use their waitlists in March!

After some thought this week, I'll probably give the boot to the rest of my schools I'm currently holding...weird to think....

I'm guessing you'll either go to HST or UCSF! 4:1 odds!

I think your main point was that you're so fantastic that "lesser" schools would not even bother accepting you since you're such a great applicant. I'm not sure name dropping all these schools made anybody on this thread feel better. It was more of a self-serving comment.

As your classmate I know how awesome you are and that you will do great things in your career...just think this method of consoling failed. I'll make sure to call you out after class lol.

Anyway, sorry to all of those rejected...I'm sure you are all great people who will be great physicians!

Rejeeected.......well it's not like I didn't see it coming.

Actually, people accepted to HMS should just withdraw from everywhere else! Follow my lead and troll the med schools into making them use their waitlists in March!

After some thought this week, I'll probably give the boot to the rest of my schools I'm currently holding...weird to think....

If you'd go to Harvard over a full scholarship at WashU, your decision's already made, and you're just waiting to see if you have the illusive "perfect cycle" :p Congrats wangers :)

Sorry to everyone who got rejected! Things'll work out for everyone :) Unless you only applied to Harvard. Then I guess better luck next year. Sorry. Friend of a friend did that. Didn't get in, ragequit medicine, and is now doing something else. I guess the field (doesn't) takes all kinds...

Rejected. I don't know what happened. My interview went so well....

...Wait, that was a dream. I didn't interview!

Congrats to everyone who got in!

If anyone/everyone here could withdraw from Yale before decisions go out, that'd be great! Oh and also UCSF. Let's get some waitlist movement going.

Please don't try to rack up "points"

Congratulations!! My sister is a 4th year and has loved this school to death.

If anyone/everyone here could withdraw from Yale before decisions go out, that'd be great! Oh and also UCSF. Let's get some waitlist movement going.

agree

+1, I'm trapped in limbo at Mayo & Chicago.

Decided to hit the Withdraw button on the Penn application, too. I think Harvard is a better fit for me personally. No preclerkship grades = also a plus haha.

The notion of going for a "perfect cycle" is immature and selfish. If you have your dream school, that's all you need. If you're doing this to wallpaper your apartment with al the acceptance letters you get, you shouldn't be going to med school.

Hear me out, future classmates, and do the rest of the applicants a huge favor by withdrawing from other schools, including those you haven't heard from (particularly those pesky non-rolling schools). Nobody wants to be begging after May 15, though it's inevitable. The sooner we all make decisions, the sooner the Class of 2017 can start training where they want to be.

Awww, this is gracious of you! Thanks! :laugh:

Decided to hit the Withdraw button on the Penn application, too. I think Harvard is a better fit for me personally. No preclerkship grades = also a plus haha.

The notion of going for a "perfect cycle" is immature and selfish. If you have your dream school, that's all you need. If you're doing this to wallpaper your apartment with all the acceptance letters you get, you shouldn't be going to med school.

Hear me out, future classmates, and do the rest of the applicants a huge favor by withdrawing from other schools, including those you haven't heard from (particularly those pesky non-rolling schools). Nobody wants to be begging after May 15, though it's inevitable. The sooner we all make decisions, the sooner the Class of 2017 can start training where they want to be.

Congratulations, HMS accepted students!!!! :love:

That's actually a good point. We might save some kids from having to write LOIs altogether.

How generous is Harvard financial aid?

The notion of going for a "perfect cycle" is immature and selfish. If you have your dream school, that's all you need. If you're doing this to wallpaper your apartment with all the acceptance letters you get, you shouldn't be going to med school.

Congratulations, HMS accepted students!!!!

You're awesome!! I wish everyone was as cool as you! I bet you are making one person's day/month/year when those Penn decisions come out.

If this was reddit and I could give you reddit gold, I would

I think your main point was that you're so fantastic that "lesser" schools would not even bother accepting you since you're such a great applicant. I'm not sure name dropping all these schools made anybody on this thread feel better. It was more of a self-serving comment.

As your classmate I know how awesome you are and that you will do great things in your career...just think this method of consoling failed. I'll make sure to call you out after class lol.

Anyway, sorry to all of those rejected...I'm sure you are all great people who will be great physicians!
Lesser schools? I would hardly call UNC a "lesser school." Secondly, I don't think I was rejected from these schools because I was "too good." I applied to many lower ranked and even unranked schools (Howard, Meharry, Eastern Virginia, VCU, etc) and got in. Why would I think it had anything to do with me being "too good?" It probably had something to do with them not wanting me for a myriad of other reasons (I'm older, went to a middle of the road undergrad institution, I only did summer research, I was not interested in primary care, my MCAT writing grade was mediocre, etc, etc). I think it's an important illustration about the predictability of the process. It's absurd to claim UNC wouldn't accept me because I was too good. Ultimately, in the admissions game you win some and you lose some. Fortunately for me, I got into a medical school I liked, but it very well could have worked the other way around.

As it turns out, the admissions office is setting up a facebook group page of its own (hopefully not to spy into your lives...lol), so I will be taking down the page I posted earlier (less work for me... and you don't need two pages). I don't know when it will be up or how they'll let you know, but it will likely be up soon. I highly encourage you to participate.

Wow wangers, very impressed by you on all your threads even before your HMS and P&S decisions came out. Bravo, the adcom at HMS really got this right.

Wish you could be my classmate for this med school journey, but sadly, no HMS for me :). Congrats, you will be a great doctor one day!

It depends on your financial need. We only consider your parents' income (biological only) when assessing need. So, it can be very generous if your parents make less than $180 k or so, but rather ungenerous if your parents are wealthy. We don't engage in merit based scholarships at all. We also require all students to take out a unit loan if they are to be eligible for grant/scholarship aid.

Last edited:
I somehow ended up having a dream last night that I got accepted to Harvard Med (acceptance email and phone call and everything).

Does this mean that I have a good shot of getting in when I do apply? Please advise.

(I'm actually not kidding about the dream. I think it's because I read this thread before I went to bed).

Love your attitude mann. Thanks for your wishes, and i'm sure you r going places yourself. Hold on dearly to that waitlist...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Congratulations, HMS accepted students!!!! :love:

Congrats on your whole cycle thus far, Wangers. If there are two people on SDN that I enjoy seeing succeed, it's you and Tots. You both have earned all your acceptances and I would be overjoyed if I end up accepted at any school on your lists!

Hi everyone!

Current MSI here. Not sure if Harvard started sending out waitlist notifications yet but just wanted to throw out a morsel of hope to those of you who do get waitlisted. I was waitlisted last cycle and didn't find out "until like, JUNE" (was growinpains referring to me?). So do not give up hope! Harvard has a very small waitlist with a lot of movement. If you get waitlisted, send a letter confirming your interest, with any updates. Also send your latest transcript and send your transcript AGAIN after the spring semester ends. (sidenote: I am sitting with a classmate who was also waitlisted who did none of those things and still got in so I guess the moral of the story is to send an update if it gives you peace of mind).

Also, just wanted to let you all know that the students here are awesome and fun and diverse as hell. Sometimes the sample size on studentdoctor can be a bit....abrasive. Do not let that discourage you from coming here. I love it here and I am the antithesis of a gunner. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE. Applying sucks, but seek solace in the fact that you have not sold your soul to an investment bank. (sorry friends in ibanking, I :love: you)

So... uh... anyone else think that it's very weird and distrustful for the director of admissions to monitor the facebook page she created until the waitlist period is over...

This is pure speculation but I think she is just a part of the FB page to field questions that may arise. Other schools also have members of the admissions team (Director or Dean of Admissions) in the official FB page.

I thought it was nice that she included a friendly reminder that she is there.

So... uh... anyone else think that it's very weird and distrustful for the director of admissions to monitor the facebook page she created until the waitlist period is over...

I think she's there to add new students to the group and to help out with answering questions/providing information. I don't think she's meant to be the official facebook group babysitter or something of the sort :p

Status
Not open for further replies.