You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Alabama Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
How long was your status "Secondary complete and under review"?
Like three days
How long was your status "Secondary complete and under review"?
mine was about one week. you should probably receive something this week, if not, next week probably.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any MSTP applicants in the house? I'm wondering how long it takes from primary submission to secondary...
Any MSTP applicants in the house? I'm wondering how long it takes from primary submission to secondary...
I'd check the 2011-2012 thread. They are really insightful on their!!
Thanks!I'd check the 2011-2012 thread. They are really insightful on their!!
MSTP rejection here. 20 minutes after a "hey, complete 8/9, are secondary applications coming soon?" email. 3.85 / 36Q
Ouch. I'm sorry man. I'm sure another program would love to have you with those stats. How's your research background?MSTP rejection here. 20 minutes after a "hey, complete 8/9, are secondary applications coming soon?" email. 3.85 / 36Q
Ouch. I'm sorry man. I'm sure another program would love to have you with those stats. How's your research background?
Yah, I'm not worried. Five years of infectious diseases clinical research in top hospital ICUs and a few publications on fungus and pneumonia. UAB would've been a fitting viral option.
Anyhow, the take away is that if you ask UAB about the game, you lose the game. 🙄
Meh, keine loss, a drop in the bucket, right? There are plenty of octupi in the sea. ;-)Yah, I'm not worried. Five years of infectious diseases clinical research in top hospital ICUs and a few publications on fungus and pneumonia. UAB would've been a fitting viral option.
Anyhow, the take away is that if you ask UAB about the game, you lose the game. 🙄
Cool research background. I wish you had an MDApps so I could peruse your stuff. Good luck!
Any MSTP applicants in the house? I'm wondering how long it takes from primary submission to secondary...
I received my MSTP secondary a few weeks after I submitted my primary. Ive been complete and under review for almost 2 weeks now and haven't heard anything. Im a little nervous since someone already got rejected with a 3.85/36 and that kind of research experience.
Don't be too paranoid. The entire process is a crap shoot. I looked last year and someone with a 24 MCAT was accepted to an MD/PhD program.I received my MSTP secondary a few weeks after I submitted my primary. Ive been complete and under review for almost 2 weeks now and haven't heard anything. Im a little nervous since someone already got rejected with a 3.85/36 and that kind of research experience.
On a side note, was the secondary huge? I remember the secondary for the MD program being a BEAST. Would you mind sharing any prompts that might be on there?
Thanks for sharing and good luck! Hang in there.
The MSAR states that they screen or do they just send the secondary to all applicants? Thanks.
Yes, they do screen.The MSAR states that they screen or do they just send the secondary to all applicants? Thanks.
Yes, they do screen.
I checked their website and it indicated they send to all AMCAS verified applicants. They said that the lowest MCAT they consider is 24 and I have a 22, so if they screen why would they send me one?
Also, I am having a hard time uploading my photo. It is 33 kb.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, I thought you were one of the MSTP applicants I was chatting with earlier. To clarify, they screen for MSTP applicants before sending out secondaries. As for regular MD applicants, they advise you to review their requirements on the front of the secondary before submitting it. You'll get rejected with anything less than a 24. :-( They're unwavering on that limit. I'm sorry.I checked their website and it indicated they send to all AMCAS verified applicants. They said that the lowest MCAT they consider is 24 and I have a 22, so if they screen why would they send me one?
Also, I am having a hard time uploading my photo. It is 33 kb.
Ok. Thanks.
You're welcome. I went ahead and sent mine in last year with a 23 and was rejected for being less than 24. I know how it feels. Just rest assured that you didn't waste your money like I did. Good luck.
Does any one know how long to expect being in "secondary complete and under review" until status changes? and do we get notified by email, or must we constantly check the website?
They will send you an interview invite via e-mail.Does any one know how long to expect being in "secondary complete and under review" until status changes? and do we get notified by email, or must we constantly check the website?
They will send you an interview invite via e-mail.
thanks! how long were you under review for?
I checked their website and it indicated they send to all AMCAS verified applicants. They said that the lowest MCAT they consider is 24 and I have a 22, so if they screen why would they send me one?
Also, I am having a hard time uploading my photo. It is 33 kb.
My picture won't go either...
Is 9/20 the first interview day of the cycle this year?
I believe 9.20.12 is the first interview date for this cycle.
I believe 9.20.12 is the first interview date for this cycle.
it actually started last thursday...I saw a few interviewee when I was taking a break
Interview invite for 10/4.
Interview invite for 10/4.
+1, woohoo pumped, especially since it looks like you are from Tuscaloosa.
I believe 9.20.12 is the first interview date for this cycle.
First interviews were last week.
Just interviewed here today. 1 on 1 interview with three admissions. Great Experience. Would love to be accepted here!! 😍
My status changed to "secondary complete and under review" yesterday. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the MSTP applicants out there, do you happen to know if your secondary was any different than the regular MD secondary?
For the MSTP applicants out there, do you happen to know if your secondary was any different than the regular MD secondary?
Its a separate application. There is no application fee for it and they do not make you complete the regular MD secondary unless you are invited for an interview.
Its pretty straightforward and just touches on your research interests and accomplishments. The whole app is done in list form so no essays!
Thank goodness!! After doing nearly 30, I couldn't bear the thought of another insane secondary. I remember the MD secondary from last year being pretty lengthy in terms of re-listing all of my experiences and such. But knowing I'd have an interview would definitely assuage the tediousness of that task. 🙂
Thanks for letting me know and good luck!
Thanks for letting me know and good luck!
soo about this "number of occasions" thing in the activities.. what's the consensus? it's a required field apparently. so like if i worked full-time somewhere for a year an a half, am i supposed to put 273 occasions??
First interviews were last week.
Just interviewed here today. 1 on 1 interview with three admissions. Great Experience. Would love to be accepted here!! 😍
Totally agree. It was pretty great. The campus was nice and the interview experience was awesome. The parking pissed me off though bahahahah
I submitted my secondary 2 weeks ago and recieved an interview for oct 4th!
congrats! The interview wasn't bad at all 😎
Today marked my 2 week period since receiving a notice that my MSTP application was under review. I sent an email requesting an update. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm honestly expecting a rejection; but it's an update for you all nonetheless.
Any advice from people who have already interviewed? Any specific questions that caught you off guard? Also how is everyone preparing for their interviews?
Any advice from people who have already interviewed? Any specific questions that caught you off guard? Also how is everyone preparing for their interviews?
I had an interview here last week. Great experience. I think someone already mentioned it, but it was three one on one interviews.
They were quite relaxed, and I can't remember a single question I was asked on current issues in healthcare or any ethical questions. All of my questions stemmed from my primary and secondary application (they were basically 100% the same for me). They asked about my volunteer activities, part time job I once held, my current research, hobbies, etc. This definitely made it more relaxed obviously, as those activities were definitely easier to talk about than healthcare issues and ethics.
As expected, I received the MSTP rejection email today. I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to switch to MD. How much is the secondary?
It's pretty lengthy, but it costs $75..
Ugh, after spending nearly $3k and completing around 30 secondaries, I just don't know that I can bring myself to do it. I love the school and would be ecstatic to attend, but I have no confidence that they'd actually consider me. :-(It's pretty lengthy, but it costs $75..
Every shot not taken is a shot missed, right? I switched to regular MD today. Here goes nothing.Ugh, after spending nearly $3k and completing around 30 secondaries, I just don't know that I can bring myself to do it. I love the school and would be ecstatic to attend, but I have no confidence that they'd actually consider me. :-(
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Every shot not taken is a shot missed, right? I switched to regular MD today. Here goes nothing.
Best of Luck!!!!
Does any one have any info on how many/ what percent of applicants get an interview after receiving "Still under consideration for an interview" status?
I got an interview invitation this morning for 10/11. First II of the year!!
Submitted my secondary 9/7. 33R, 3.71 cGPA/3.64 sGPA. Any advice or warnings for interview day? 😛
Submitted my secondary 9/7. 33R, 3.71 cGPA/3.64 sGPA. Any advice or warnings for interview day? 😛
Interviewed here yesterday. It was a great experience, and I would love to get accepted. They did a really good job of keeping it as low stress as possible. I was only asked by one of my interviewers "Why medicine". They just seemed like they really wanted to get to know you.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
