2014-2015 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you speak more to this accelerated 1 year program?

I know very little about it, but from bits and pieces there from talking to deans and professors, it seems like it will be a much more intense year - for good reason; they're squishing a lot of material into one year. Not everything will be in the new curriculum, of course - for example, I heard our first 5-week biochem course will be thrown out (pieces of it will probably be integrated into other courses). They are still finalizing the curriculum; they might give people more info about it either during interview day or revisit.
 
Honestly, I really like the PBL based learning in NP as well as the opportunity to learn about the doctor-patient relationship on a more intimate level. I love PBL... and the NP vision really speaks to me as a student and a person. But at the same time HST is physician scientist preparation gold. Decisions, decisions...

I suppose if I am EVER blessed enough to have to make that decision, it might be a tough one, but for now I will let it stew 😉 Thanks YamNMangos!

No problem 🙂. I really like the PBL tutorial sessions as well - really puts what we learn in lecture into clinical perspective. I didn't like college biochem and cell bio as they were just too much memorization, details, and very little application - I definitely don't feel that here. They are also always adjusting the curriculum - our prof today actually incorporated a figure from a yet to be published paper, because he knew that this paper would make all the old models of that biological pathway obselete. Just hate the fact that tutorials are the first thing in the morning - I guess a good way to increase attendance at lectures haha.
 
I know very little about it, but from bits and pieces there from talking to deans and professors, it seems like it will be a much more intense year - for good reason; they're squishing a lot of material into one year. Not everything will be in the new curriculum, of course - for example, I heard our first 5-week biochem course will be thrown out (pieces of it will probably be integrated into other courses). They are still finalizing the curriculum; they might give people more info about it either during interview day or revisit.
Thank you so much!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No problem 🙂. I really like the PBL tutorial sessions as well - really puts what we learn in lecture into clinical perspective. I didn't like college biochem and cell bio as they were just too much memorization, details, and very little application - I definitely don't feel that here. They are also always adjusting the curriculum - our prof today actually incorporated a figure from a yet to be published paper, because he knew that this paper would make all the old models of that biological pathway obselete. Just hate the fact that tutorials are the first thing in the morning - I guess a good way to increase attendance at lectures haha.

Wow, that's Harvard for you! So at the forefront of innovation. And LOL on the attendance strategy 😉 At my Pitt interview, my interviewer who teaches a class to MS1's was griping to me about how all the students use podcast instead of attending lectures. I can see how it is both ways (from both the perspective of the professor and the student) but it looks like Harvard's got a good strategy!

HST interview invite! So excited, this is definitely my first choice!

OMG OMG OMG soccerusa! SO excited for you!!! What a fantastic cycle for you so far 😀
 
Does anyone know if Harvard sends out rejections alongside IIs, or do they just hold on to your app until the end of interview season? I was complete end of July and haven't heard back yet ... I'm starting to think it's a rejection but they're just holding off on telling me 🙁
 
When were you complete?

Complete 7/25. I am quite sure they review HST and NP applications separately so my date is probably only helpful if you are HST. I do know that I was assigned the first possible interview date so I was probably in the first wave.
 
Hey all,

I was hoping someone might be able to advise:

AMCAS verified my letter of recommendation packet last Friday, and most schools have reflected this change, but Harvard reports that they have not received the letter. Can anyone explain why? My secondary has been submitted, and I'd like for my application to be considered as 'complete'.

Would anyone suggest emailing/calling Harvard about this?

Thank you so much for your insight!
 
Are there more spots for NP or HST? Does it increase your chances of getting interviewed/accepted if you check both?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I was hoping someone might be able to advise:

AMCAS verified my letter of recommendation packet last Friday, and most schools have reflected this change, but Harvard reports that they have not received the letter. Can anyone explain why? My secondary has been submitted, and I'd like for my application to be considered as 'complete'.

Would anyone suggest emailing/calling Harvard about this?

Thank you so much for your insight!

Give it another week. If still incomplete, feel free to E-mail/call them.
 
Last edited:
Are there more spots for NP or HST? Does it increase your chances of getting interviewed/accepted if you check both?

There are ~130 NP and ~35 HST every year; although there are many more NP applicants, HST is generally more competitive due to the fewer number of spots. Theoretically it does increase ur chance of getting interviewed/accepted, but they are independent committees so ur decision to apply to one doesn't impact the other. It's like asking whether u have a higher chance of getting into med school if you apply to two instead of one.
 
There are ~130 NP and ~35 HST every year; although there are many more NP applicants, HST is generally more competitive due to the fewer number of spots. Theoretically it does increase ur chance of getting interviewed/accepted, but they are independent committees so ur decision to apply to one doesn't impact the other. It's like asking whether u have a higher chance of getting into med school if you apply to two instead of one.
was there any student who received II for both NP and HST?
 
From my digging in old threads, yes there have been a couple lucky folks like that! I believe they try and schedule the interviews to happen on adjacent days or something like that...
 
Psshh twice is weak sauce. We have one person who got admitted three times - one to NP, one to HST, and one to MD/PhD (which could work with either program). 😉

Also... u guys and ur penguins...
I'm not that ambitious.. give me one and i would be the happiest person in the world. Yeah, each penguin on my avatar stands for an offer from HMS~ so three🙂
 
Whoops. Never took basic algebra in the U.S. So I'm rather ignorant about some basic terms. My bad.

Aww Friendly!! @nakittaxu was teasing because our friend on sdn is named @infinitessimal... her username is a wordplay on infinite and I believe @nakittaxu was playing with it further 😀 It's not a real math term

Psshh twice is weak sauce. We have one person who got admitted three times - one to NP, one to HST, and one to MD/PhD (which could work with either program). 😉

Also... u guys and ur penguins...

I say, this year is the year of the penguin! It all started in the Duke forum. Superstition's going around that it leads to II's (some are getting results LOL!) I've been trying to get people to join team SpongeBob but to no avail 🙁

Btw I've always loved your avatar, I love babies 😍
 
Psshh twice is weak sauce. We have one person who got admitted three times - one to NP, one to HST, and one to MD/PhD (which could work with either program). 😉

Also... u guys and ur penguins...
Is that cute baby in your avatar scared of penguins? Penguins supposedly are lovable because their big heads and awkward walk make them look like toddlers. . .
 
Hadn't gotten any IIs for a few weeks, but an NP interview invite this morning more than made up for it. Complete late July, 3.75, 37.

Also, there were a ton of dates in October available so I don't think they're anywhere near done offering IIs. Hope others hear soon!
Good for you!! Congratulations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
giphy.gif


II!! NP Complete 7/15
 
Okay let me rephrase I guess...

Anyone care to comment on the surrounding area outside HMS...?

Ha ha, I feel bad that I teased you earlier so here is a real answer. I only interviewed at HMS, current students could tell you with more authority. The school is located in the Longwood Medical Area, which is a massive concentration of hospitals, graduate/professional schools, and research buildings. It feels like the medico-industrial complex set up its own compound a few miles outside downtown Boston. Some HMS students told me they take Uber to get to the more fun parts of the city; there's also public transportation except late on weeknights. There are some really nice neighborhoods not far from the school, including in the leafy independent city of Brookline. All of the nearby areas are expensive to very expensive to live in. I was told that 80% of first years and 50% of second years live in Vanderbilt Hall, which is across the street from campus.

It's worth noting that students do most or all of their third-year (changing to second-year in the latest New Pathway curriculum) clinical rotations at one of four affiliated hospitals, and some students move to live closer to the one they end up at. Beth Israel-Deaconess and Brigham & Women's are located in Longwood, Mass General is more downtown, and Cambridge Health Alliance is in fact in Cambridge.
 
Ha ha, I feel bad that I teased you earlier so here is a real answer. I only interviewed at HMS, current students could tell you with more authority. The school is located in the Longwood Medical Area, which is a massive concentration of hospitals, graduate/professional schools, and research buildings. It feels like the medico-industrial complex set up its own compound a few miles outside downtown Boston. Some HMS students told me they take Uber to get to the more fun parts of the city; there's also public transportation except late on weeknights. There are some really nice neighborhoods not far from the school, including in the leafy independent city of Brookline. All of the nearby areas are expensive to very expensive to live in. I was told that 80% of first years and 50% of second years live in Vanderbilt Hall, which is across the street from campus.

It's worth noting that students do most or all of their third-year (changing to second-year in the latest New Pathway curriculum) clinical rotations at one of four affiliated hospitals, and some students move to live closer to the one they end up at. Beth Israel-Deaconess and Brigham & Women's are located in Longwood, Mass General is more downtown, and Cambridge Health Alliance is in fact in Cambridge.

Nice summary.
Also to comment that HMS is about 30 minutes away from the main Cambridge campus, where the undergrad is and a lot of the other grad schools. The only Harvard affiliated one near HMS is the public health school (and dental, but they take classes with us NP students).

The Children's Hospital is also right next door, in addition to the two mentioned. In addition, the area is surrounded by quite a few colleges, and is very safe (though Boston is like this in general anyways).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Day is very unorganized you have a brief orientation and get your schedule of interviews with taxi vouchers to take you off site. Then they let you loose with an optional tour, optional lunch with students. You can just leave after your interviews are over. Interviewers have all been relaxed and friendly no stress questions. Interview length can vary. In my group some had 60+ minutes while some had 20 minutes. They said at the beginning not to put too much thought into timing though it depends on the interviewer
 
II!!! :biglove:What an awesome way to start the week!

Quick scheduling question: for anyone interviewing for NP and HST, does it matter which one I schedule first? I was assigned a single date for HST but can pick earlier or later dates (all in late October) for NP. Thanks!
 
II!!! :biglove:What an awesome way to start the week!

Quick scheduling question: for anyone interviewing for NP and HST, does it matter which one I schedule first? I was assigned a single date for HST but can pick earlier or later dates (all in late October) for NP. Thanks!

May I ask when you were complete, and/or your stats?
 
II!!! :biglove:What an awesome way to start the week!

Quick scheduling question: for anyone interviewing for NP and HST, does it matter which one I schedule first? I was assigned a single date for HST but can pick earlier or later dates (all in late October) for NP. Thanks!

CONGRATS!!!!