2014-2015 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

OOS but applying here! i've never been to colorado but i'd love to visit. it seems like a great state.

Also OOS but love this school and location-reminds me of my home state of AK!

Members don't see this ad :)
IS Applicant! Top Choice! Unless their website isn't up to date they have already posted their secondary question.

Reactions: 1 user
IS +3! Top Choice +3! Love CUSOM

Does anyone know when secondaries were sent out last year, and if that's likely to change this year?

Based off last year's thread, they didn't receive secondaries until late August. Seemed like there was a lot of reorganization going on in the admissions department, lots of changes were made and everything was kind of slow/not very transparent...hopefully this year things will be a little clearer!

CU is my top choice too! IS, but go to OOS school, getting ready to submit my amcas and anxious/excited/kind of freaked out by this entire process. Good luck to everyone!

Hey guys,
I was accepted to CUSOM in the 2013-2014 application cycle. I really found this school specific thread helpful and comforting during that stressful time and I just wanted to post on here that I am happy to answer questions and assist you guys in any way that I can! So feel free to pm me or just post questions here.

Secondaries did go out late in August last year: received mine 8/23.

Hey guys,
I was accepted to CUSOM in the 2013-2014 application cycle. I really found this school specific thread helpful and comforting during that stressful time and I just wanted to post on here that I am happy to answer questions and assist you guys in any way that I can! So feel free to pm me or just post questions here.

Secondaries did go out late in August last year: received mine 8/23.
Looking at USNEWS data, the class seems to be about 80% non traditional. Do you find that to be the case at interviews? Are you traditional and, if so, do you have any advice for being successful as a younger applicant?

@claduva94 Yes I was a traditional applicant. Honestly I didn't really notice it until second look day. My interview day was a pretty even spread of older nontrads and traditional applicants.

When I received emails from my interviewers offering their congratulations they both mentioned that it was my strong interpersonal skills and the maturity I demonstrated during my interview that sealed the deal.

CUSOM traditionally accepts older applicants for several reasons including their life experiences, overall maturity, and if they are older and already settled in CO then that increases the likelihood that they will continue to work as a physician in CO after completing medical school.

Edit: So in terms of advice I would just stick with the tried-and-true method of being yourself and practicing your interviewing skills and etiquette.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am an accepted CUSOM student (2013-2014 cycle), and I will be matriculating here in just under a month :eek:. Just wanted to pop by and say good luck to all those applying to CU this year. I received the secondary on August 23rd last year and an II on September 18th. I am IS, so if you have any questions about the process please feel free to ask on here or send a PM.

Good luck again!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I am an accepted CUSOM student (2013-2014 cycle), and I will be matriculating here in just under a month :eek:. Just wanted to pop by and say good luck to all those applying to CU this year. I received the secondary on August 23rd last year and an II on September 18th. I am IS, so if you have any questions about the process please feel free to ask on here or send a PM.

Good luck again!!!

Thanks for sharing your time to help us!!

Posted using SDN Mobile

And this year it will likely be a bit earlier.

And this year it will likely be a bit earlier.

I agree. I am a reapplicant (was WL'ed this cycle) and received my secondary last year on 8/23. But the AMCAS process was delayed last year , so perhaps they will come a bit earlier.

I agree. I am a reapplicant (was WL'ed this cycle) and received my secondary last year on 8/23. But the AMCAS process was delayed last year , so perhaps they will come a bit earlier.
That and there were probably hiccups with the new administration.

That and there were probably hiccups with the new administration.

There were definitely hiccups. I interviewed in early October last year and was told on my interview day that we would hear a decision "sometime between next Wednesday and the end of March." I received my waitlist letter on 4/22.

I am hoping that the process is smoother and more predicable this time around.

There were definitely hiccups. I interviewed in early October last year and was told on my interview day that we would hear a decision "sometime between next Wednesday and the end of March." I received my waitlist letter on 4/22.

I am hoping that the process is smoother and more predicable this time around.
Good luck this time around! Reapplicants with stats like yours are the ones that really make me worried. :p

Question about this school:

I'm considering applying here but to my knowledge they interview VERY few OOS people that are not located in adjacent states. Most people that go here are CO residents and residents of neighboring states that don't have an instate medical school. Do OOSers from the midwest have a chance here or is my secondary fee just a donation? If it helps I have family in Colorado and have been visiting there all my life, just have never been a resident. Not sure if that would give me "ties to the state."

Question about this school:

I'm considering applying here but to my knowledge they interview VERY few OOS people that are not located in adjacent states. Most people that go here are CO residents and residents of neighboring states that don't have an instate medical school. Do OOSers from the midwest have a chance here or is my secondary fee just a donation? If it helps I have family in Colorado and have been visiting there all my life, just have never been a resident. Not sure if that would give me "ties to the state."

I have two friends from California who were interviewed, waitlisted, and accepted. Both had pretty average stats, no ties, but a lot of ECs with underserved communities.

Just received the secondary!

Received my secondary. OOS applicant.

Secondary received!

I'm OOS and wondering if it's worth applying. My stats are 35/3.9+ and great ECs, but perhaps not as strong on the underserved communities as they would like.

Considering their only essay appears to strangely be almost a carbon copy of the Stanford prompt it won't be difficult to apply, but wondering if I should spend the money. Thoughts?

I got it too! But... 2000 word essay?! I hope they mean characters.... That's a CRAZY LONG essay if not!

+2
I was one secondary away from being caught up again lol
Seriously, today was bad. Should have waited to add schools!

Here's the main essay:
Required Colorado Essay
Part A. The School of Medicine regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. Please write about things in your background that have been important to your development or that have been challenging to you on your path to a career in medicine. These could include your socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and work or life experiences. Explain how these have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Part B. Please write about the “fit” between your experiences and goals and the University of Colorado School of Medicine. If you are a reapplicant, please include information on how your application has changed.

Please answer both parts in this single essay, limiting it to 2000 words.

Prompt:

Required Colorado Essay
Part A. The School of Medicine regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. Please write about things in your background that have been important to your development or that have been challenging to you on your path to a career in medicine. These could include your socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and work or life experiences. Explain how these have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Part B. Please write about the “fit” between your experiences and goals and the University of Colorado School of Medicine. If you are a reapplicant, please include information on how your application has changed.

Please answer both parts in this single essay, limiting it to 2000 words.

I got it too! But... 2000 word essay?! I hope they mean characters.... That's a CRAZY LONG essay if not!
Well, that is the limit, they don't say that you have to use all of them. At least that's how I plan to approach it, there is not much to be gained by boring the adcoms with a wall of text. We'll see how it turns out...

Yeah I'm probably going to do a nice 500 word essay. 2000 is a bit ridiculous, haha. It's annoying how they say to do Part A and Part B in a single essay though. Terrible for the essay's unity lol

Does anyone know what percentage of applicants receive secondaries?

Secondary received!

I'm OOS and wondering if it's worth applying. My stats are 35/3.9+ and great ECs, but perhaps not as strong on the underserved communities as they would like.

Considering their only essay appears to strangely be almost a carbon copy of the Stanford prompt it won't be difficult to apply, but wondering if I should spend the money. Thoughts?
I'm in the same boat as you. 35/3.9 from missouri. I love colorado but honestly if they take so few OOS idk if it's even worth it to spend the money.

I'm in the same boat as you. 35/3.9 from missouri. I love colorado but honestly if they take so few OOS idk if it's even worth it to spend the money.
Ok, I just don't get it when people put in their primary, then to realize that they want to back out because of factors that are already known things.

Take a risk! Or don't, and make the OOS pool easier for the rest of us :)

Never been so happy to be on FAP. It's nice to be able to throw cheap darts at cool schools like this.

Update: Ignore the word count totals. The real limit is 2500 characters. For the Colorado Springs essay the limit is 1500 characters.

Update: Ignore the word count totals. The real limit is 2500 characters. For the Colorado Springs essay the limit is 1500 characters.

Yea saw this when I tried to put my 670 word essay into there. Woof.

Does CU screen or send 2ndaries to all of their applicants? I'm kind of in shock because I'm OOS and my GPA and MCAT aren't amazing. The MSAR says that "applicants selected by the admissions committee" receive it, which to me suggests a pre-screen.

colorado springs essay?

Do we know if the 2000 word or 2500 character is the correct specification? Like confirmed by the admissions office?? I want to submit my original (super long) essay...

Secondary Submitted. Now the ever slow process of CU admissions begins. #firstchoice

Do we know if the 2000 word or 2500 character is the correct specification? Like confirmed by the admissions office?? I want to submit my original (super long) essay...

I think it cuts you off if you try to submit an essay that's longer than 2500 characters. If you have already completed a polished draft, maybe you can try to submit and just see what happens...?

-Bill

I think it cuts you off if you try to submit an essay that's longer than 2500 characters. If you have already completed a polished draft, maybe you can try to submit and just see what happens...?

-Bill
Yeah thats what I did, and it cut me off at 2500 characters. What I think happened is that they changed the prompt from last year (which had a 2500 character limit), but they failed to change the program to allow the new 2000 word specification. For this reason, I am going to email admissions and wait for a response before submitting an abridged essay as my longer one is good, and I dont want to look like I was lazy when they really want a long essay...

Edit x 2: grammar and content

Yeah thats what I did, and it cut me off at 2500 characters. What I think happened is that they changed the prompt from last year (which had a 2500 character limit), but they failed to change the program to allow the new 2000 word specification. For this reason, I am going to email admissions and wait for a response before submitting an abridged essay as my longer one is good, and I dont want to look like I was lazy when they really want a long essay...

Edit x 2: grammar and content
Let us know what you find out, please!