You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Yale University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Still waiting on mine, also
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yikes is right, what a horrible man. Makes the skin crawl to read the excerpts from the complaints.
This is a different scandal from the one in the cardiology department that the NYT had written about last fall. For what it's worth, I asked some students about that one on my interview day, and they said they thought that Yale was no more plagued by this kind of behavior than other schools.
It is still scary to know those people are out there practicing medicine whether at Yale or anywhere else. As difficult and thorough as this application process is, you would think these people would be screened out. Nonetheless, I guess a few slip through the cracks, even at a wonderful institution like Yale.Yikes is right, what a horrible man. Makes the skin crawl to read the excerpts from the complaints.
This is a different scandal from the one in the cardiology department that the NYT had written about last fall. For what it's worth, I asked some students about that one on my interview day, and they said they thought that Yale was no more plagued by this kind of behavior than other schools.
I wouldn't let it color anyone's opinion of the school in general though. As you said, I'm sure Yale is not the only school that has to deal with this sort of behavior.
It is still scary to know those people are out there practicing medicine whether at Yale or anywhere else. As difficult and thorough as this application process is, you would think these people would be screened out. Nonetheless, I guess a few slip through the cracks, even at a wonderful institution like Yale.
I wouldn't let it color anyone's opinion of the school in general though. As you said, I'm sure Yale is not the only school that has to deal with this sort of behavior.
Of course, you are right that this sort of behavior is not unique to Yale. However, I think what is of concern is whether the Yale administators are acting appropriately in their handling of sexual harrasment cases. I would note, particularly in the case of the former cardiology chief, that the medical school twice ignored the recommendations of a university commission for a stronger penalty for the offending physician.
With reluctance, I withdrew from Yale today. I think that deep down, I feel that their system just isn't quite right for me.
It's still the happiest school around, and I know that the merry 100 matriculants will love it. I hope that the waitlist shifts into gear ASAP!
It's still the happiest school around, and I know that the merry 100 matriculants will love it. I hope that the waitlist shifts into gear ASAP!
Dear @breakintheroof, I've been following your adventures with interest and with a strong feeling (yeah, strange, I know) that I want to cheer you on. I was (against my own self-interest, I guess) really delighted when you got into Yale. Reading this posting, though, took my respect and admiration for you to a whole new level. It isn't easy to walk away from a school with such a reputation, and I appreciate the soul searching that you were willing to undertake, as well as your honesty about what suits you best. I know that Yale is not the only top school to recognize your worth and just want to wish you the education and career that suit you best. (In other words, I'm still cheering anonymous you on, wherever you go!)With reluctance, I withdrew from Yale today. I think that deep down, I feel that their system just isn't quite right for me.
It's still the happiest school around, and I know that the merry 100 matriculants will love it. I hope that the waitlist shifts into gear ASAP!
Received a notice in my email inbox that Yale would give me $25,000+/year scholarship on top of $50,000 in financial aid!!!
I can get a Yale M.D. without any debt! O_O
I can get a Yale M.D. without any debt! O_O
Received a notice in my email inbox that Yale would give me $25,000+/year scholarship on top of $50,000 in financial aid!!!
I can get a Yale M.D. without any debt! O_O
Wow!!
I believe they only give a few merit scholarships. Congrats to those of you that got one! I got my financial aid package yesterday by calling and having them email it to meyale has merit scholarships? did all notices go out yesterday???
why don't merit scholarships love me T.T
For anyone who went how was second look?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone who went how was second look?
I personally felt that my perspective on medical education was revamped. I came to see that there was no other place like Yale and I went from I "could" go to Yale to I "must" go to Yale.
If you want someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.
YOU DECIDED???I personally felt that my perspective on medical education was revamped. I came to see that there was no other place like Yale and I went from I "could" go to Yale to I "must" go to Yale.
If you want someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.
I personally felt that my perspective on medical education was revamped. I came to see that there was no other place like Yale and I went from I "could" go to Yale to I "must" go to Yale.
If you want someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.
Congrats!
Withdrew from Yale. 🙁
This was literally the toughest decision of my life! It's such an awesome institution!!!
Best of luck to those on the waitlist, and I hope that the merit scholarship is disbursed to someone else--one who undoubtedly will be more qualified than I am.
This was literally the toughest decision of my life! It's such an awesome institution!!!
Best of luck to those on the waitlist, and I hope that the merit scholarship is disbursed to someone else--one who undoubtedly will be more qualified than I am.
Withdrew from Yale. 🙁
This was literally the toughest decision of my life! It's such an awesome institution!!!
Best of luck to those on the waitlist, and I hope that the merit scholarship is disbursed to someone else--one who undoubtedly will be more qualified than I am.
I vote for ProbablyAPenguin to get some of that sweet scholarship money!
👍I vote for ProbablyAPenguin to get some of that sweet scholarship money!
I second that motion!I vote for ProbablyAPenguin to get some of that sweet scholarship money!
You need a co-signer and interest doesn't begin accruing until you graduate (it's subsidized).Anyone know the terms of the Yale alumni loan?
It comes with the fin aid package if you are determined to need those loan.You guys are the best. @FriendlyFH where did you get that sheet?
Has anyone still not heard anything since submitting the secondary? Obviously my odds of acceptance are 0% right now but I haven't received any interview or rejection emails.
Sign into the portal and click the decision tab.
Any word on the wait list? I remember hearing Yale breaks their wait list into tiers?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any word on the wait list? I remember hearing Yale breaks their wait list into tiers?
Last year the tier email went out around mid June? So this year it might be early June? Traditionally, there has been a phone-a-thon, on which day you can call in and speak with the director Mr. Silverman about your chances and possibly to impress. The date of the P-A-T closely followed the date of the Tier email.
Good luck! When you do get off waitlist, I hope you can choose to come here! 😉
Here's hoping that your decision will bring you joy and success! Good luck on the journey, @samsunimomo!Withdrew from Yale. 🙁
This was literally the toughest decision of my life! It's such an awesome institution!!!
Best of luck to those on the waitlist, and I hope that the merit scholarship is disbursed to someone else--one who undoubtedly will be more qualified than I am.
Thank you so very much. I wish you the same!Here's hoping that your decision will bring you joy and success! Good luck on the journey, @samsunimomo!
For anyone at Yale getting financial aid, Since the cost of attendance increases as one progresses from MS1 -> MS2, etc, if we are getting financial aid, does our estimated family contribution increase proportionally due to this? Or does the estimated family contribution stay constant (everything else equal) and the increase in cost is offset with more scholarship?
Just withdrew from Yale 🙁
Most difficult button to press in my entire life. I really loved it here, and their financial aid package was devastating. Best of luck to @FriendlyFH and all the other Yalies 🙂
*EDIT* SERIOUSLY SO SAD ABOUT THIS
k i'm done
Most difficult button to press in my entire life. I really loved it here, and their financial aid package was devastating. Best of luck to @FriendlyFH and all the other Yalies 🙂
*EDIT* SERIOUSLY SO SAD ABOUT THIS
k i'm done
Last edited:
@ProbablyAPenguin, that had to be hard! But you know that you will be spectacular wherever you go--and that it will be spectacular to / for/ because of you!Just withdrew from Yale 🙁
Most difficult button to press in my entire life. I really loved it here, and their financial aid package was devastating. Best of luck to @FriendlyFH and all the other Yalies 🙂
*EDIT* SERIOUSLY SO SAD ABOUT THIS
k i'm done
Really sorry to hear that 🙁. I really hope that you'll find where you'll be able to thrive.Just withdrew from Yale 🙁
Most difficult button to press in my entire life. I really loved it here, and their financial aid package was devastating. Best of luck to @FriendlyFH and all the other Yalies 🙂
*EDIT* SERIOUSLY SO SAD ABOUT THIS
k i'm done
You know I'm not okay with this Penguin. But what can I do. It's not your fault that you have so many amazing options.Just withdrew from Yale 🙁
Most difficult button to press in my entire life. I really loved it here, and their financial aid package was devastating. Best of luck to @FriendlyFH and all the other Yalies 🙂
*EDIT* SERIOUSLY SO SAD ABOUT THIS
k i'm done
xoxo
😍
Good luck!
WL, Puhhleeeasssee move soon....
From last year's thread it looks like some people heard on May 16 (day after May 15th deadline) -- so could be tomorrow! I keep hoping that there will be a lot of movement this year.
I just saw your earlier posts about not getting enough loans in your package to pay for med school. Federal Grad Plus loans usually aren't included in the aid package but it's a given that you can receive up to your COA. None of my aid packages covered the full COA because the Grad Plus is expected to do the rest.Just withdrew from Yale 🙁
Most difficult button to press in my entire life. I really loved it here, and their financial aid package was devastating. Best of luck to @FriendlyFH and all the other Yalies 🙂
*EDIT* SERIOUSLY SO SAD ABOUT THIS
k i'm done
I know but somehow I feel like even if that's the case, it won't be me lol It doesn't hurt to hope though!From last year's thread it looks like some people heard on May 16 (day after May 15th deadline) -- so could be tomorrow! I keep hoping that there will be a lot of movement this year.
yup! realized this eventually, it was confusing b/c my other aid packages listed my grad plus loan amount.I just saw your earlier posts about not getting enough loans in your package to pay for med school. Federal Grad Plus loans usually aren't included in the aid package but it's a given that you can receive up to your COA. None of my aid packages covered the full COA because the Grad Plus is expected to do the rest.
Gotcha. Yeah, 3 years ago I applied to an MPH program and ended up not going because it didn't list Grad Plus loans on the aid package and I didn't think I could afford it. (There were other reasons too, but that helped.) It's very strange to me that some schools don't make it clearer that the Grad Plus is an option.yup! realized this eventually, it was confusing b/c my other aid packages listed my grad plus loan amount.
haha well regardless... even with the grad plus loans... still hard to stomach paying that much!Gotcha. Yeah, 3 years ago I applied to an MPH program and ended up not going because it didn't list Grad Plus loans on the aid package and I didn't think I could afford it. (There were other reasons too, but that helped.) It's very strange to me that some schools don't make it clearer that the Grad Plus is an option.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When is the deadline for taking out federal direct loans? I left my FinAid packet with the timeline of important dates at home, and I won't be back for a couple weeks. From what I remember the deadline is sometime in June, but I wanted to make sure I'm not mistaken. I figured someone here would probably have an idea 🙂.
Correct, June 1st is the deadline. You're good!When is the deadline for taking out federal direct loans? I left my FinAid packet with the timeline of important dates at home, and I won't be back for a couple weeks. From what I remember the deadline is sometime in June, but I wanted to make sure I'm not mistaken. I figured someone here would probably have an idea 🙂.
I think the documents (like all the master promissory, entrance consoling stuff) are due June 1st, but the federal loans don't have to be taken out at a specific date. You can take none until you needed it, or take out half now and another half in the spring or any time during the school year.This way one can save on interested on the unsubsidized loan.When is the deadline for taking out federal direct loans? I left my FinAid packet with the timeline of important dates at home, and I won't be back for a couple weeks. From what I remember the deadline is sometime in June, but I wanted to make sure I'm not mistaken. I figured someone here would probably have an idea 🙂.
Anyone sign up for the dorm? The application almost seemed too simple I feel like I'm missing something lol
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K

