You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Yale University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hope thats not the case lol
OMG I just got off the MSTP waitlist here!! I had currently planned on matriculating to Cornell MSTP but now I'm so conflicted...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations!!OMG I just got off the MSTP waitlist here!! I had currently planned on matriculating to Cornell MSTP but now I'm so conflicted...
Accepted MSTP off the waitlist +1...Now confused with what to do..OMG I just got off the MSTP waitlist here!! I had currently planned on matriculating to Cornell MSTP but now I'm so conflicted...
@Hermione L Knope MD. Ph.D and @nakittaxu. . .congratulations! So hard to choose between excellent and outstanding, isn't it? 🙂 Good luck making the tough decision!
Ahh, the first signs of life.. Hopefully they move to MD soon!
+1. We can all use a prolific and compassionate writer in our class!Get to @BengaliBrat next!
@Kelilah and @FriendlyFH, you are much too kind to me. (Didn't your moms ever warn you, "Don't encourage her or she'll never stop!" ?Get to @BengaliBrat next!
) I would still love to join you at Yale, but I have been so fortunate! I have a close friend at Yale (grad school) now, and I plan to visit her. If I don't end up as your classmate, we will still be colleagues. . .and I will probably demand (!) a meeting with both of you when I'm on campus. It would certainly be a pleasure to meet you "in real life"!
Hi everyone,
So I decided to call the admissions office about the waitlist and they told me that an email detailing where we are on the waitlist and when we can speak with Dean Silverman will be going out "sometime in May" but that they didn't have an exact date.
Just thought that some people might find this information useful as we enter the final stages of our application cycle.
So I decided to call the admissions office about the waitlist and they told me that an email detailing where we are on the waitlist and when we can speak with Dean Silverman will be going out "sometime in May" but that they didn't have an exact date.
Just thought that some people might find this information useful as we enter the final stages of our application cycle.
Hi everyone,
So I decided to call the admissions office about the waitlist and they told me that an email detailing where we are on the waitlist and when we can speak with Dean Silverman will be going out "sometime in May" but that they didn't have an exact date.
Just thought that some people might find this information useful as we enter the final stages of our application cycle.
Thanks! Did they say anything about if they've gone to the waitlist yet? Just from sdn, looks like the top 10s aren't really moving much yet, unlike other years at this point...
I'm guessing there's a lot less urgency on the schools' parts this year. From their perspective, they've got an extra two weeks to go through the WL (since the AMCAS traffic rules deadline was Arpil 30 instead of May 15.) Any news they provide before May 15 is probably just a bonus in their minds.
Hi everyone,
So I decided to call the admissions office about the waitlist and they told me that an email detailing where we are on the waitlist and when we can speak with Dean Silverman will be going out "sometime in May" but that they didn't have an exact date.
Just thought that some people might find this information useful as we enter the final stages of our application cycle.
This year does seem to be atypical. The last couple of years they accepted some people off the WL soon after the commitment deadline and well before the WL email. Hoping that they are just moving at a slower pace - better than the alternative possibility.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
So I decided to call the admissions office about the waitlist and they told me that an email detailing where we are on the waitlist and when we can speak with Dean Silverman will be going out "sometime in May" but that they didn't have an exact date.
Just thought that some people might find this information useful as we enter the final stages of our application cycle.
Thanks for calling! But I think I'm kind of confused with what Mr. Silverman's roll is in admissions. I thought he was the director? Does he have say in our application disposition?
Thanks! Did they say anything about if they've gone to the waitlist yet? Just from sdn, looks like the top 10s aren't really moving much yet, unlike other years at this point...
They didn't say whether or not they had gone to the waitlist yet, and I did not ask. I do know that other Ivies like Cornell have had movement, though.
Thanks for calling! But I think I'm kind of confused with what Mr. Silverman's roll is in admissions. I thought he was the director? Does he have say in our application disposition?
Apparently we will eventually be able to call him and find out what our actual chances look like. They said last year this happened in early June.
Hey guys, for anyone wondering about WL movement, I got the acceptance call yesterday!!!!
Also, I was told that an email concerning tiers and movement should go out the week of the 18th. Hope this helps, good luck to everyone, I hope to see you in New Haven this August!
Also, I was told that an email concerning tiers and movement should go out the week of the 18th. Hope this helps, good luck to everyone, I hope to see you in New Haven this August!
Hey guys, for anyone wondering about WL movement, I got the acceptance call yesterday!!!!
Also, I was told that an email concerning tiers and movement should go out the week of the 18th. Hope this helps, good luck to everyone, I hope to see you in New Haven this August!
Congrats and thanks for the info. How is the WL movement happening now different from "tiers and movement" starting next Monday? Any idea how many WL acceptances are going to be released this week? Thanks.
omg. that's so great! I hope you choose "wisely" and be my classmate!!!Hey guys, for anyone wondering about WL movement, I got the acceptance call yesterday!!!!
Also, I was told that an email concerning tiers and movement should go out the week of the 18th. Hope this helps, good luck to everyone, I hope to see you in New Haven this August!
Hey guys, for anyone wondering about WL movement, I got the acceptance call yesterday!!!!
Also, I was told that an email concerning tiers and movement should go out the week of the 18th. Hope this helps, good luck to everyone, I hope to see you in New Haven this August!
wow dude, that's amazing. huge congrats to you bud, much deserved!
Congrats and thanks for the info. How is the WL movement happening now different from "tiers and movement" starting next Monday? Any idea how many WL acceptances are going to be released this week? Thanks.
From what I gather there are still 3 tiers (maybe a special lower 4th tier this year just for me) and that some of the WL in the 1st tier actually get pulled before the WL email gets sent.
Congrats Willy38!
Last edited:
So Yale poached you from Chicago?? Congrats.Hey guys, for anyone wondering about WL movement, I got the acceptance call yesterday!!!!
Also, I was told that an email concerning tiers and movement should go out the week of the 18th. Hope this helps, good luck to everyone, I hope to see you in New Haven this August!
Poached from washU pending decent fin aid lolSo Yale poached you from Chicago?? Congrats.
New Haven is just a better fit for my personal situation, and I'm crazy about the med school obviously!
Poached from washU pending decent fin aid lol
New Haven is just a better fit for my personal situation, and I'm crazy about the med school obviously!
Woo! Join us!
Congrats and thanks for the info. How is the WL movement happening now different from "tiers and movement" starting next Monday? Any idea how many WL acceptances are going to be released this week? Thanks.
I believe that is correct @Cubsfan15 (or should I say John Snow, please tell me you've seen the clip of john snow at a dinner party).From what I gather there are still 3 tiers (maybe a special lower 4th tier this year just for me) and that some of the WL in the 1st tier actually get pulled before the WL email gets sent.
Congrats Willy38!
much appreciated Dr. Lacrosse ! Its been a long and crazy ride but I'm ecstatic with where I'm ending up.wow dude, that's amazing. huge congrats to you bud, much deserved!
Yes Kelilah, i believe that to be the case!! (as long as I'm not strapped with ridiculous loans here)Wonderful news, @Willy38! I creeped on your MDApps and it sounds like you'll be matriculating with @FriendlyFH and me?
Congrats! I am seriously so excited to meet everyone this fall.
And I'm pumped to meet you all too! !
Last edited:
Crossing my fingers for good fin aid for you. 🙂Poached from washU pending decent fin aid lol
New Haven is just a better fit for my personal situation, and I'm crazy about the med school obviously!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the superstition, it worked ! I got some decent aid so now its official!! I will be heading to Yale this August!!Crossing my fingers for good fin aid for you. 🙂
I just withdrew from Yale. I've been weighing my choices pretty much constantly for the past two weeks; in the end Yale just wasn't feasible for me. Even though I've got the reasons worked out in my head, officially withdrawing still stings. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back 🙂
@Willy38, I am so delighted for you! Congratulations!Hey guys, for anyone wondering about WL movement, I got the acceptance call yesterday!!!!
Also, I was told that an email concerning tiers and movement should go out the week of the 18th. Hope this helps, good luck to everyone, I hope to see you in New Haven this August!
@Dinitrophenol, I know how hard the choice must have been. Like everyone else here, I wish you joy and success at the school you chose--and thereafter.I just withdrew from Yale. I've been weighing my choices pretty much constantly for the past two weeks; in the end Yale just wasn't feasible for me. Even though I've got the reasons worked out in my head, officially withdrawing still stings. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back 🙂
+1So just got the WL email and it looks like I'm in group 2. I was pretty set on ucsf but now I'm thinking it's possible Yale might be a choice. Really conflicted 🙁
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So just got the WL email and it looks like I'm in group 2. I was pretty set on ucsf but now I'm thinking it's possible Yale might be a choice. Really conflicted 🙁
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully you get to talk to Mr. Silverman soon and see what he says. Did the letter indicate when you can call him?
Ya, it's in early JuneHopefully you get to talk to Mr. Silverman soon and see what he says. Did the letter indicate when you can call him?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you did not get an email, does that mean you're on tier 3? or has tier 3 emails already gone out?
Hi everyone! I am also a Tier 2 WL applicant. After a lot of thought over the past few months, I've finally decided to withdraw my application. It's been something I've struggling with, and even though it seems there is a very possible chance of acceptance in June, I do not want to keep myself in limbo over what has already been an extremely long process. Best of luck to all other waitlisters who have decided to wait it out and to everyone going here next year, congrats, and hit me up if you're ever in NYC! 🙂
So when the email says to call and discuss our candidacy, is this like a second interview of sorts or simply Mr. Silverman telling us the current status of the WL?
Know it is tough, @WedgeDawg, but it sounds as if you considered deeply. I will be looking for you in New York!Hi everyone! I am also a Tier 2 WL applicant. After a lot of thought over the past few months, I've finally decided to withdraw my application. It's been something I've struggling with, and even though it seems there is a very possible chance of acceptance in June, I do not want to keep myself in limbo over what has already been an extremely long process. Best of luck to all other waitlisters who have decided to wait it out and to everyone going here next year, congrats, and hit me up if you're ever in NYC! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read the threads from previous years pretty carefully--I find that process very helpful. I gather that this is not an interview at all, but merely a courtesy (and it really is!) to let candidates get a realistic idea about their chances for a last-minute admit. I have known lots of folks who were, in the past, Tier 2 waitlisted and never got the "come here!" call. During my Yale interview, the students said "Lots of people in the class came from the Tier 1 waitlist. Realistically, being in Tier 2 is a long shot. . .don't make plans based on getting to matriculate here if that's where you end up." This advice seems very realistic to me. It would be flattering to be asked to matriculate, but I don't think that so many people turn Yale down or decide to defer. I don't want to sound discouraging, but I am thinking of the call-in as a way that Yale can consolidate all the anxious calls into a single set time. I have also been told (very small sample) that when Dr. Silverman says that you have a shot, it is way too early to get elated. On a previous year's thread, someone describes being told that he was just 3 or 4 names down when he called in. He was elated, and surprised that he never got off the WL. Then at the school where he matriculated, he met two other people from his class who had also been told that they were just 3 or 4 names down when THEY called in the same day! It is very, very difficult to say something that amounts to, "Don't hold your breath, Buster!" or "If there is a plague that pinpoints prospective Yale students, you stand a very good chance." Bad news is really tough to break. I'm not planning to call in. I'll be out of the country. . .and I already have a pretty fair idea of my chances. ("What? It's freezing over? Your pig sprouted wings?")So when the email says to call and discuss our candidacy, is this like a second interview of sorts or simply Mr. Silverman telling us the current status of the WL?
Hey fellow waitlisters! I was placed on Tier 2 as well, and I just got a call today from Director Silverman to accept me! There's definitely hope, so keep your chins up!
Congratulations, @yummyoatmeal!!!Hey fellow waitlisters! I was placed on Tier 2 as well, and I just got a call today from Director Silverman to accept me! There's definitely hope, so keep your chins up!
Thanks for sharing the good news and the words of encouragement.Anyone trying to call actually manage to get through yet?
No, but at least I know my "call is important"...Anyone trying to call actually manage to get through yet?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K