2015-2016 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you. Is it a pain shuttling to/from the parking lot? What is the cost of parking lot? Is it safe at night? Hours of shuttle service? Is it worth the money to live close to campus?

Rejected yesterday OOS. This seems like a great school in probably one of the coolest areas in the country. They sent a nice email about how they just accept very few OOS applicants and that this doesn't reflect on me as an applicant. A nice thought, but one I had already figured out- which is why I never submitted my secondary, lol. So complete.... Never?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, I would say 95% of the people on hold heard back in Mid-March when the final interviews were complete. The other 5% were accepted throughout the cycle. Just a guess but the majority found out in March when they decided the alternate list.
damn i was worried that might be the case

Thank you. Is it a pain shuttling to/from the parking lot? What is the cost of parking lot? Is it safe at night? Hours of shuttle service? Is it worth the money to live close to campus?

First off, there are garages on campus that are very convenient and do not require a shuttle, although, they are tough to obtain by incoming first year students. MS2-4’s have the first pick of parking (before incoming MS1’s) so most of the on campus lots will fill before we get a stab at them. Thus, we inevitably get stuck parking off campus and taking the shuttle. Just keep in kind, you will more than likely only have to endure this for one year.

Parking at the shuttle lot (Hagood lot) is free and isn’t a pain IMO but it does add to commute time (5-10 min). The lot is shared with Charleston PD and there are officers always on duty, so safety isn’t an issue. The shuttle runs from 6:00AM – 12:50AM. Also, there is off street parking around MUSC that isn’t enforced after 6:00PM, so if you wanted to stay at the library after 12:50AM (and not get stuck walking from campus to the lot) you could move your car before the bus stops running. I like living in Mount Pleasant for the aforementioned reasons (I live 5 min away, flooding, cost, etc.) but it is all personal preference. The MS3’s that I know say that living close to downtown is imperative when you start clinicals but less important during your first two years. If you have the opportunity, I would recommend coming to Charleston before school starts and shop around. If you want a list of places in the area that I am familiar with, feel free to message me.

Does anyone know if this school is receptive to calling about status updates? IS, complete 9/29 and I still haven't heard anything. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
does anybody know if the majority of people are first put on hold before being accepted, or are accepted outright?

I'm OOS and understand that they don't usually even look at those till November-December, but does anyone know if the portal shows any update once they do look at it? Mine's looked exactly the same as when I submitted the secondary. (Complete 9/15)

I'm OOS and understand that they don't usually even look at those till November-December, but does anyone know if the portal shows any update once they do look at it? Mine's looked exactly the same as when I submitted the secondary. (Complete 9/15)

The portal doesn't change at all once you get offered an interview/when they've looked at your app

II just now! OOS with close ties to SC, complete late July!

I got an II as well! So excited! Complete late September, 3.7 GPA 512 MCAT! Can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the II as well! Complete mid-July, OOS w/close ties to SC. MUSC's a great place so I'm excited to visit and to meet you all! See you guys there!

(And to those who have yet to receive an II: I do believe interviews finish either the last or second to last week of February, so there's still some time left for an invite. Keep the faith, guys!)

rejected OOS, they were very nice about how impressive my background and ties were, but they don't accept very many OOS, etc etc.

Best of luck to everyone!

Good luck to everyone who has upcoming interviews. I interviewed in December and was pleasantly surprised to be accepted within the week. My second interview of the day lasted over an hour and was absolutely exhausting. Seriously, I think my interviewer's goal was to see how I handled stress and discomfort - I was told several times that he was unimpressed. A few days later, I received an email from him saying how much he liked me and that he knew I would go far. And a few days after that, I got my acceptance. So, with that in mind, keep your heads up!

Has any one heard anything back yet that interviewed in late December/January?

So should have we heard yai or nei yesterday or does that mean we will know today?

I think if we are going to hear anything this month it will be today

dont worry im pretty sure they are putting just about everybody on hold till march

Email made it seem as if they will review every one again mid March and then I'm kinda confused as to if they will send out some admissions or if they will just consider those ppl for alternative list? Could any one shed some light to this?

The way it was explained to us on interview day is that they accept some people outright but the majority of people go on a list that gets reviewed once again after interviews are completed in March. That way they can accept the applicants with the highest scores (they assign these based on MCAT, GPA, interview, and extra currics).

Per news from my interview day, the committee is meeting on March 8th, and I believe they are going to fill the class March 9th. They said there are still plenty of spots left for those who are wondering.

Also, does anyone have info on how many acceptances actually go out? I know their class is 160ish, but they made it sound like they accept the class size only outright. Do they follow accepting ~1.5x the class like other schools? Just kind of confused because they seemed to talk about the people who got acceptances was the same number of people who actually matriculated. Also, their website reports the same numbers for acceptances as MSAR does for matriculations. Just kind of confused on the discrepancy of acceptances vs matriculation, if anyone has insights on this. Thanks in advance!

Historically they have one of the highest yields in the country. They don't need to accept many students to fill their spots.

Historically they have one of the highest yields in the country. They don't need to accept many students to fill their spots.
So, just to be clear, you're saying they don't generally offer more acceptances than spots available like other schools do? Thanks for the response!

A med school with 170 spots and a 50% yield (average for med schools) will accept 340. At MUSC the yield is around 75% so they will accept around 255 to fill their class of 170.
Say they interview 450 and maybe 50 withdraw they will select 255 of 400 applicants.

Ooops, they would need to accept 226 students to fill 170 spots if they have a 75% yield.

Ooops, they would need to accept 226 students to fill 170 spots if they have a 75% yield.
A med school with 170 spots and a 50% yield (average for med schools) will accept 340. At MUSC the yield is around 75% so they will accept around 255 to fill their class of 170.
Say they interview 450 and maybe 50 withdraw they will select 255 of 400 applicants.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification, exactly what I was looking for! Seems like those are as good of odds as I'll get anywhere else!

Does anyone know when the adcom will meet again? I think they mentioned at interviews that it would be around the "beginning of March" ?

Edit - sorry, just saw March 8 above. Thanks for the info and best of luck to everyone :)

Well does anyone know if they get back to applicants in the AM or PM? ... Currently in Stockholm visiting family and dreading this whole 6 hour time zone difference.

Glad I'm not the only one, haven't heard anything either, driving me crazy... Best of luck to you folks!

Reactions: 1 users
Just received email saying that I did not get admitted this year and that an alternate/reject decision will go out by email by the end of the week. :(

Good luck everyone :(

Just received email saying that I did not get admitted this year and that an alternate/reject decision will go out by email by the end of the week. :(

Good luck everyone :(
Me too. Crushed. Felt awesome about my interviews too so I can't believe it

Me too. Crushed. Felt awesome about my interviews too so I can't believe it
I too felt awesome about interviews. I think that adds to the crushed feeling. Well, solidarity my friend. Hope that we get listed as alternates.

Dead silence here since the post interview on hold letter a few months ago. So did the ad com only sent out acceptances to ppl from last batch of interviews? Any one know? Any specific dates for alt list?

I was expecting to hear back today since I interviewed in mid Feb, any clue as to what it means if you receive no Email at all? Almost seems like a glitch. Wtf

Last edited:
I was expecting to hear back today since I interviewed in mid Feb, any clue as to what it means if you receive no Email at all? Almost seems like a glitch. Wtf
Any chance you missed "the call"? I thought everyone interviewed thus far was supposed to get some news today. This is just what I am remembering from interview day... Maybe no news is good news? Best of luck to you :)

I also haven't heard anything since my "on hold" email after my interview in November.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Any chance you missed "the call"? I thought everyone interviewed thus far was supposed to get some news today. This is just what I am remembering from interview day... Maybe no news is good news? Best of luck to you :)
Well since I am abroad I'm not sure I can receive phone calls... Am I supposed to hear about acceptances via phone or email?? True though.. No news is always good news. Fingers crossed.

Well since I am abroad I'm not sure I can receive phone calls... Am I supposed to hear about acceptances via phone or email?? True though.. No news is always good news. Fingers crossed.
They said on interview day that acceptances would come via phone, everything else email/snail. Maybe email them and let them know that you are abroad? Perhaps this could generate some info regarding your status?

They said on interview day that acceptances would come via phone, everything else email/snail. Maybe email them and let them know that you are abroad? Perhaps this could generate some info regarding your status?

It's strange that they told y'all that. My friend and I were both accepted in November and received emails, never a phone call.