2015-2016 San Juan Bautista Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II! Very excited about this school. Any current students want to tell us about curriculum, etc? I'm particularly interested in hearing about the Anatomy lab. How many students per cadaver?

Reactions: 1 user
II! Very excited about this school. Any current students want to tell us about curriculum, etc? I'm particularly interested in hearing about the Anatomy lab. How many students per cadaver?
Congrats! When did you get it? Email or call?

Wait, you got an interview? Because they sent me an email saying interviews start in november

Wait, you got an interview? Because they sent me an email saying interviews start in november

I got an invitation to interview. The dates they gave me are in November.

Yeah, I just realized my previous post makes no sense at all. Haha. What date? If I may ask. Are you in-state?

Congrats! Hope it goes well.

Did you take the MCAT2015 or the previous one?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

They gave me 3 dates in November, (4th, 13th, 20th), but I haven't chosen yet. I'm OOS.

Thanks. I took the old MCAT. 29.
Excellent. You already have 1 foot in. You just have to make sure not to mess up the interview and you most probably will get in! I have some friends there and they say it's amazing. Based on their experiences, it's a small class. I've been to the campus and it's relatively small but the professors are very nice and understanding. They promote collaboration and less competition between the students. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent. You already have 1 foot in. You just have to make sure not to mess up the interview and you most probably will get in! I have some friends there and they say it's amazing. Based on their experiences, it's a small class. I've been to the campus and it's relatively small but the professors are very nice and understanding. They promote collaboration and less competition between the students. :)

Thanks! My biggest concern is that I'm married with 2 kids. Do you know if any other students have family?

Thanks! My biggest concern is that I'm married with 2 kids. Do you know if any other students have family?
Yup. There are a couple students that are also married and studying @ SJB right now, some also have kids. Others are in process of being married. Others don't even plan on getting married. You will find a wide spectrum of people with different backgrounds and from different places. Last time I went there during a visit to see human cadavers, I got to talk to an indian student, I think he was MS3 or MS4. I don't think the fact that you have kids will affect their decision.

Hi, I'm an MS3 at SJB. if you guys have any questions please post them and I will try my best to answer them all. Good luck to you all.

Hi, I'm an MS3 at SJB. if you guys have any questions please post them and I will try my best to answer them all. Good luck to you all.

Thanks! How do you like it so far? How well do you feel classes have prepared you for boards? What are the facilities like? Do you feel like it's a good learning environment? Are classes in Spanish, English, both? Have people been matching well?

I really like it. We have an integrated organ-system curriculum, in which each system is offered in blocks, throughout the year. Classes are small, of about 60 students each. There is a 6:1 student-cadaver ratio. Cadavers are not pre-dissected (unlike UCC or Ponce); brand new for you to prepare and dissect. Facilities are beyond adequate: we have 2 large auditoriums where lectures are held and smaller, newly renovated classrooms. Study rooms and anatomy lab (each with separate A/C system) are available 24/7; security staff is also on campus 24/7 and parking lot is huge. The clinical skills center is undergoing renovation.
We are mainly affiliated with the Mennonite Health Care system, a very large group of hospitals and clinics located around the island. "Menonita caguas" is right next to our school. The hospital is currently undergoing major remodeling and is our main teaching site. I was there for my Peds EM rotation and the entire ER is brand new, state of the art.

Now with the biggest controversy of them all: language. Interviews can be conducted in English, Spanish or both. That ultimately depends on you and the interviewer. I know English speaking OOS that were only interviewed in English. In other words, you never know but you should be prepared to talk in Spanish of course.
As far as classes, that depends only on the professor. Some will only lecture in Spanish, some others will only lecture in English, however, most professors will lecture in Spanish (only 2 English speaking professors). We have visiting professors that will ask us for our preference and he/she will lecture based on that. Since all you'll do is study for your first 2 years, there's no really a need for you to use your Spanish. ALL lecture slides, presentations, textbooks, manuals, quizzes and tests are in English.

With all honesty (and trying to be as objective as I can) SJB is your best option of all PR schools as far as USMLE preparation. We take standardized, NBME tests at the end of each block. The NBME, the same company that makes all USMLE Steps offers these CAS exams. It is basically a large question bank where professors can browse and use to design our tests. There are only a handful of medical schools around the country that offer CAS exams. With that being said, there is no better preparation for your Steps than this. Exams simulate the Step every single time, with regards to difficulty, format and time. At the end of every CAS you obtain a report with your performance, compared to your class, divided by subjects, for your review and better preparation.

As far as the match, there has been no problem at all. From very respected programs (TX Southwestern, FL Jackson Memorial) to highly competitive specialties (radiology, IM/PEDS, Neuro/PEDS, surgery, orthopedics)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, also an MS3 from SJB. Any questions that md456 hasn't already answer, please feel free to ask! Good luck to you all!

What's the tuition? AAMC says 31k oos, but in a couple places online I read 60k

What's the tuition? AAMC says 31k oos, but in a couple places online I read 60k

Hi nairopil,

Tuition varies from year to year. When I was a first year tuition was about 31k. I suggest you call the FAO and ask how much the class of 2019 paid for their tuition.

II!!

They told me that SJB just switched to MMIs this year. Now I'm nervous.

Congratulations! What are the available dates?

Thanks!! They invited me for the 4th and I accepted so I don't know about other dates.
Good luck on the interview tomorrow, could you please PM me or post here how it went? I am preparing to interview there soon! Thank you!

Good luck on the interview tomorrow, could you please PM me or post here how it went? I am preparing to interview there soon! Thank you!
Thank you!! And of course, I will share my experience :D

Hi!
I loved my experience at SJB. As I said earlier, they just started doing MMIs so, to prepare, I just read some practice prompts online and felt pretty good during the interviews. There is always that one station with a 1 on 1 interview and, for that, I would prepare like I would for any other interview (usual questions).

If you are from the mainland, I urge you to practice your Spanish. You will be tested in both languages!!

I am not a very shy person and enjoy social interactions. If you are kind of shy, maybe you should practice with someone. Some really nice students also gave us a tour and talked to us about the school.

Overall, I really liked the school; more so than I arleady did before I walked in.
Good luck to you all!

Hi, malamia - did you have to write any essays during the interview? I read on one of the threads from a few years ago that applicants were asked to write essays in their non-native language. My Spanish is pretty good but I am not good at writing it.

Hi, malamia - did you have to write any essays during the interview? I read on one of the threads from a few years ago that applicants were asked to write essays in their non-native language. My Spanish is pretty good but I am not good at writing it.
Noooo, they changed the format completely this year. Just regular MMI.

Hey guys, I'm an MS1 OOS at SJB. I know how hard and stressful this whole process is (I went through it 3 times). If there is anything I can do to help, please feel free to email me and I can do my best to help and answer any questions [email protected] [email protected]. I probably won't be on sdn too much but I have my email open 24/7 (for better or for worse) and am pretty responsive to it. Just let me know!

When is the last time anyone has been invited for an interview? I applied a few months ago and havent gotten an interview request. I'm OOS.

Hey guys. Just interviewed Thursday. We had to sign a confidentiality form before the interview, so I can't give specifics, but it was a great experience. I actually really enjoyed the MMI format. Now just gotta wait and hope for good news.

Were some stations in English and others in Spanish, or was it more mixed?

Does anyone know if they offer interviews if they are LOR's missing or do they wait until everything is complete?

Does anyone know if we can complete prereqs with online classes or IB credits or at a community college? Thanks!

I was told that they accept CLEP credits for the Spanish requirement, but I'm not sure about any other courses.

On a separate note, has anyone who interviewed in December received any sort of response? Its early in January still, I know, but maybe someone out there has gotten good news already?

Does anyone know when the committee meets after the new year? I know they told us at the interview, but I can't remember.

during the interview, we were told late Jan/ early Feb. I called earlier today and was told that the comittee has not met yet.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Preface: I have no ties to PR (TX resident) and have only basic knowledge of Spanish (took 3 years of the language in high school).

This might be a question that I should ask the admissions people at these schools directly, but SDNers might know the answer!

I'm currently enrolled in Spanish I for the upcoming spring semester at a community college to satisfy the requirements of the PR schools that take OOS students . I understand that I'll need to take more than one semester of Spanish in order to be fluent, and I know that most of these schools need more than 3 credit hours, but my question is, would this school accept a student on the basis of "good faith," in that the student would continue to learn Spanish throughout medical school?

For instance, SJB require students to have at least 12 credits of Spanish on their transcript - after the application cycle would have started in 2016, I'd have 4, with the intent to sign up for Spanish II (either in the summer or fall semester), and so on; would SJB even consider me?

If somehow granted an interview after meeting prereqs / criteria, I'm obviously in no position to have an entire interview conducted in Spanish (unlike most of you!), but I wouldn't be averse to continue with learning Spanish either. I'm just wondering if it's worth spending the time and effort into taking Spanish, because I have no idea about school policies. (Not that there aren't any merits in taking Spanish - but the sole reason for me taking it is to get into a PR school!)

Also, does anyone have ratios on IS:OOS students that SJB takes? I couldn't find any data on their website.

Preface: I have no ties to PR (TX resident) and have only basic knowledge of Spanish (took 3 years of the language in high school).

This might be a question that I should ask the admissions people at these schools directly, but SDNers might know the answer!

I'm currently enrolled in Spanish I for the upcoming spring semester at a community college to satisfy the requirements of the PR schools that take OOS students . I understand that I'll need to take more than one semester of Spanish in order to be fluent, and I know that most of these schools need more than 3 credit hours, but my question is, would this school accept a student on the basis of "good faith," in that the student would continue to learn Spanish throughout medical school?

For instance, SJB require students to have at least 12 credits of Spanish on their transcript - after the application cycle would have started in 2016, I'd have 4, with the intent to sign up for Spanish II (either in the summer or fall semester), and so on; would SJB even consider me?

If somehow granted an interview after meeting prereqs / criteria, I'm obviously in no position to have an entire interview conducted in Spanish (unlike most of you!), but I wouldn't be averse to continue with learning Spanish either. I'm just wondering if it's worth spending the time and effort into taking Spanish, because I have no idea about school policies. (Not that there aren't any merits in taking Spanish - but the sole reason for me taking it is to get into a PR school!)

Also, does anyone have ratios on IS:OOS students that SJB takes? I couldn't find any data on their website.

I don't think any medical school that asks for prerequisite courses will accept students on the basis of "good faith" if they don't have them. Either you meet the prereqs or you don't. That's it. Unless you already have the remaining 9 credits enrolled for this semester (and it shows somewhere in your transcript) you won't be an eligible candidate for August 2016 since you don't meet the requirements.

Hi!

I suggest you take the CLEP exam to test out of those Spanish credit.

Answering my own question because I just interviewed. The interview + tour lasted 2 hours and 45 minutes total.

Does anyone know how much spanish is needed for the interview? such as will we have to give our whole response in spanish? Thanks.

Hi!
I loved my experience at SJB. As I said earlier, they just started doing MMIs so, to prepare, I just read some practice prompts online and felt pretty good during the interviews. There is always that one station with a 1 on 1 interview and, for that, I would prepare like I would for any other interview (usual questions).

If you are from the mainland, I urge you to practice your Spanish. You will be tested in both languages!!

I am not a very shy person and enjoy social interactions. If you are kind of shy, maybe you should practice with someone. Some really nice students also gave us a tour and talked to us about the school.

Overall, I really liked the school; more so than I arleady did before I walked in.
Good luck to you all!

Does anyone know how much spanish is needed for the interview? such as will we have to give our whole response in spanish? Thanks.

I know you say practice your spanish, but will there by ALOT of spoken spanish like my whole reason of why I want to be a doc in spanish, or just certain MMI situations that I will have to reply in spanish?! THANKS!

I know you say practice your spanish, but will there by ALOT of spoken spanish like my whole reason of why I want to be a doc in spanish, or just certain MMI situations that I will have to reply in spanish?! THANKS!

Dear ramification,

You need to be fully bilingual for the interview process. I've heard many different stories from my classmate and it changes every year. However, as a general consensus, it's better off knowing Spanish well as they want to see how fluent you are in it.

I hope this helps.