You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 University of Connecticut Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Is UConn a wasted application for OOS applicants? MSAR says 76% of students are in-state, but the UConn website says 89%... that's a bit of a difference.
D
deleted671237
user-deleted said:Is UConn a wasted application for OOS applicants? MSAR says 76% of students are in-state, but the UConn website says 89%... that's a bit of a difference.
I've heard UConn gives OOS residents from other New England states both a better chance and better costs. Outside of New England, it's apparently very hard to get an interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard UConn gives OOS residents from other New England states both a better chance and better costs. Outside of New England, it's apparently very hard to get an interview.
This is absolutely WRONG. I'm a rising dental student at UConn and also a scholarship recipient for UConn dental. I'm an OOS resident. From across the country. BTW, OOS students get in-state tuition after the first year, and that together was cheaper than the in-state all 4 years at my home state and that's why I first applied to UComm. They explained the selection process at the interview though. They do not give a preference for OOS or In-state. It just so happens that statistically in-state students prefer to attend UConn. For example, if 80 students are asked to interview, 30 in-state and 50 OOS, and 20 instate are accepted and 40 OOS are selected. Would it not surprise you if all of the accepted in-state students choose their only in-state school? Well the OOS accepted students might make the same decision to choose their respective in-state schools because they want to live where they grew up with family and friends or whatever the reason, and maybe only 15 choose to attend UConn. Well then 20 would be in-state and only 15 OOS, so the statistics at the end make it appear that UConn has a preference for in-state applicants, but in actuality, they only choose the best applicants without a residency preference. The accepted students must decide based on various factors, moving across the country vs hometown is just one.
Last edited:
D
deleted671237
This is absolutely WRONG. I'm a rising dental student at UConn and also a scholarship recipient for UConn dental. I'm an OOS resident. From across the country. BTW, OOS students get in-state tuition after the first year, and that together was cheaper than the in-state all 4 years at my home state and that's why I first applied to UComm. They explained the selection process at the interview though. They do not give a preference for OOS or In-state. It just so happens that statistically in-state students prefer to attend UConn. For example, if 80 students are asked to interview, 30 in-state and 50 OOS, and 20 instate are accepted and 40 OOS are selected. Would it not surprise you if all of the accepted in-state students choose their only in-state school? Well the OOS accepted students might make the same decision to choose their respective in-state schools because they want to live where they grew up with family and friends or whatever the reason, and maybe only 15 choose to attend UConn. Well then 20 would be in-state and only 15 OOS, so the statistics at the end make it appear that UConn has a preference for in-state applicants, but in actuality, they only choose the best applicants without a residency preference. The accepted students must decide based on various factors, moving across the country vs hometown is just one.
Dental school isn't Med school. For instate, 215 out of 486 applicants were interviewed (44%) while for OOS, 146 out of 1976 were interviewed (7%). Conn applicants clearly get an advantage, its not a matter of only Conn students "choosing" to matriculate there. And OOS residents do get a tuition break.
I'm from NJ.... not really "New England" but a hell of a lot closer to U Conn than Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and even alot of Mass...
Just applied to UCONN SOM. OOS applicant
Last edited:
Also, do you know when we are supposed to get secondaries? I applied June 6th and I still have not heard anything.
Also, do you know when we are supposed to get secondaries? I applied June 6th and I still have not heard anything.
AMCAS doesn't transmit applications to schools until July 1st so no secondaries will roll out before Wednesday!!!
Has anyone applied OOS to UCONN?
Last edited:
Secondary received. I don't think anyone has posted the prompts yet, so here they are.
1. If you are interested in pursuing an MD/Masters Combined
2.If you are applying for the MD/PhD Combined Degree Program, check your preferred areas of concentration:
Please limit your responses to 1800 characters, including spaces, for each essay question.
*Note: If you are going to cut and paste your responses from another application,
it works best to first copy to a pure text editor, such as Notepad for windows
or TextEdit on the Mac O/S.
**If you get a submission error, this is the best way to remedy it.
3. Highlight your experiences in the health care field. What insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician?
4. By typing my name and the date in the text box below, I acknowledge that I have read the Technical Standards document and attest that I can meet all of the standards with or without reasonable accommodations.
5.How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a physician or physician scientist?
1. If you are interested in pursuing an MD/Masters Combined
2.If you are applying for the MD/PhD Combined Degree Program, check your preferred areas of concentration:
Please limit your responses to 1800 characters, including spaces, for each essay question.
*Note: If you are going to cut and paste your responses from another application,
it works best to first copy to a pure text editor, such as Notepad for windows
or TextEdit on the Mac O/S.
**If you get a submission error, this is the best way to remedy it.
3. Highlight your experiences in the health care field. What insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician?
4. By typing my name and the date in the text box below, I acknowledge that I have read the Technical Standards document and attest that I can meet all of the standards with or without reasonable accommodations.
5.How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a physician or physician scientist?
Do you mind sharing your stats?Secondary submitted.
OOS but grew up in CT through graduating high school so I've got some pretty strong ties. Good luck to everyone!
For anyone who has submitted the secondary...do you know if there is a way to check if UConn has received your LORs?
LORs should be sent through AMCAS. Once AMCAS has it, then UConn should have it.For anyone who has submitted the secondary...do you know if there is a way to check if UConn has received your LORs?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love how each of the text boxes on the secondary gives you the option to enter emoticons and greek letters. Time to get REALLY creative with my secondaries. 

For the MD/PHD box checking, are we supposed to put "No Major/Not Applicable" or leave it blank if we're not doing MD/PHD??
Leave blank if you are not doing MD/Ph.DFor the MD/PHD box checking, are we supposed to put "No Major/Not Applicable" or leave it blank if we're not doing MD/PHD??
You just need to copy paste the confirmation number to the applicationIs there a way to check if Uconn has received the app fee? I have a confirmation email, but can't find anything on the application site.
When do we start hearing back for interviews?
II received. Lizzy M of 69
Edit: NE resident non-Conn
Edit: NE resident non-Conn
Last edited:
II received. Lizzy M of 69
Edit: NE resident non-Conn
Congrats! When were you complete?
Congrats! When were you complete?
7/14
Just got an interview for September 4th.
II!
LizzyM 74.5, IS and submitted/completed 7/8
Looks like I will be interviewing 9/11 or 9/24.
Email, regular decision
LizzyM 74.5, IS and submitted/completed 7/8Looks like I will be interviewing 9/11 or 9/24.
Congratulations!! Did you guys hear by email or phone. Also did you guys apply early decision or regular? Thanks.
Email, regular decision
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you even apply ED to UConn?Congratulations!! Did you guys hear by email or phone. Also did you guys apply early decision or regular? Thanks.
Do you think that I have a good chance of getting an interview here if I submit my secondary by the end of the week? IS, 31 mcat (b-13, v-6, p-12). 3.9 sgpa, 3.8 cgpa. I've lived in CT my whole life.
Also, for the first question on the secondary app did you guys write about healthcare insurance stuff/obamacare, or more about the challenges like work-life balance, etc?
Just submitted my secondary! Hoping for some love!
Do you think that I have a good chance of getting an interview here if I submit my secondary by the end of the week? IS, 31 mcat (b-13, v-6, p-12). 3.9 sgpa, 3.8 cgpa. I've lived in CT my whole life.
You're still early in the cycle and your MCAT is around the average, so you have a chance, especially because you are IS. Just be prepared to discuss the 6.
Congrats!! When did you apply? ThanksII! LizzyM ~70 OOS
Does anyone know if UConn goes in order for reviewing who gets interviews or not. I was finished july 6 and I did not get any response yet. I know it is still early but I am just worried that my application was rejected since people who submitted after me are getting interviews. Thansk for your help!!
Congrats!! When did you apply? Thanks
I was complete the first week of July
I was complete the first week of July
Did you receive an e-mail for your II?
Yup!Did you receive an e-mail for your II?
II! Complete 7/1. Will interview 9/25 or 10/2.
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you acutally recieved the interview? Thanks.II! Complete 7/1. Will interview 9/25 or 10/2.
Friday 8/7, early afternoon via email.Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you acutally recieved the interview? Thanks.
I will see you there! 🙂Just got an interview for September 4th.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did anyone get a complete email? wondering if I should check the online portal excessively or just wait for an email.
did anyone get a complete email? wondering if I should check the online portal excessively or just wait for an email.
I got an order confirmation for my payment as well as "Thank you for completing the Supplementary Application for the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. Thank you" - that's it. I think the latter is only referring to me submitting the secondary, so I don't think there's a "complete" email. However, my portal status says "You have been at the Application Complete stage since 07/08/2015," even after receiving the II.
Anyone applying with 2015 MCAT scores?
yes I amAnyone applying with 2015 MCAT scores?
I submitted my secondary on monday, and my portal still says that I haven't submitted my secondary. I got an email confirmation though. Did you have the same issue? Should I wait, or call them on monday?I got an order confirmation for my payment as well as "Thank you for completing the Supplementary Application for the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. Thank you" - that's it. I think the latter is only referring to me submitting the secondary, so I don't think there's a "complete" email. However, my portal status says "You have been at the Application Complete stage since 07/08/2015," even after receiving the II.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
