2015-2016 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted here :) But hopeful that I might be able to join y'all at this school my interview and experience here was great! :D

Did you get an email or just call the office and find out?

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted here :) But hopeful that I might be able to join y'all at this school my interview and experience here was great! :D
Did you get an email from the school confirming this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them and asked about my status with the school :)

Did they tell you specifically that you were waitlisted, or did they tell you that you were in the "favorable pool"? I took the "favorable pool" comment as being on the waitlist, but they never told me specifically that I was on one. I called the same morning of the match, so maybe they've solidified an actual waitlist by now.

"Favorable position" which I took to mean waitlisted :)

Reactions: 1 user
"Favorable position" which I took to mean waitlisted :)

Also wondering if it's a ranked waitlist. They said they didn't know when I called Monday morning, but I wonder if they have it settled out by now.

Also wondering if it's a ranked waitlist. They said they didn't know when I called Monday morning, but I wonder if they have it settled out by now.

I don't really think it's a ranked list, but rather a pool so that when one person drops out they'd look for someone who matches the same demographic. I might be totally off though

I wonder if everyone who interviewed is "favorable?"
Recall a comment from interview day where the Admissions Director said "... to date we have yet to reject anyone." That was the final interview date. :laugh::xf:

People have got matched.

Two friends of a friend of mine were matched and added to the fb group.

Another friend of mine is at the top of the waitlist.

Keep the faith guys! A few of you will probably get accepted :).

Last edited by a moderator:
People have got matched.

Two friends of a friend of mine were matched and added to the fb group.

Another friend of mine is at the top of the waitlist.

Keep the faith guys! A few of you will probably accepted :).
How does he know he is in the top of the waitlist?

How does he know he is in the top of the waitlist?

She spoke to someone in admissions on the day of match, and to the same person yesterday. According to my friend, she is expected to hear something as early as three weeks.

Does anyone know if they will be sending out emails about waitlist status? Or are we expected to call to find out if we are on a waitlist?

Does anyone know if they will be sending out emails about waitlist status? Or are we expected to call to find out if we are on a waitlist?
I just called. As of now, no one has been rejected (i.e. everyone not accepted is waitlisted), and the school is being conservative on this process since they are new. They may eventually send out an official email on this.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to get a feel for the waitlist, are most matched students 100% committed to here? Or are you guys still waiting for other schools?

This doesn't answer your question, but did you receive an email or phone call saying you are on the waitlist?

By tiny chance, has anyone talked to admissions and heard anything about when they might start looking to extend offers to those on the waitlist? :shy:

I don't know how anyone else who interviewed here feels about this subject but I'm kind of disappointed and surprised at how admissions at UTRGV have handled the whole process post-match. Granted, I realize that it's a brand new school and this is their first rodeo. However, I would at least like an email or something letting me know my status. Thankfully, I matched to a lower ranked school but I truly liked UTRGV. Furthermore, I realize that if we didn't match, we're on the waitlist and I also understand that if I were to call, they'd tell me that I'm on the waitlist. However, and this is a matter of opinion but it would be really nice to recieve an email of some sort telling me what I already know even if only for the sake of peace of mind. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel entitled to recieve word from them. However, I don't think it's something that I need to go and inquire about either. I am in no way trying to belittle this great school. All I'm saying is that I would have at least liked some kind of notification from the admissions office post-match. Congratulations to those who matched here or anywhere else and best of luck to those still waiting!

That's understandable. But if it's any recourse to you, the notification and breadth of communication that was sent to waitlisted students at UTRGV was/is the same that other Texas schools sent to their waitlisted applicants. I am not aware of any (at least IS) school that lets waitlisted students know their actual position. Although that would be a huge benefit to the applicants, I hope you realize that UTRGV is not being unusual in this sense.

EDIT: if you have not received ANY email at all post match, such as simply notifying you of the waitlist, I would contact the school. I believe most people did.

I don't think they've sent out any waitlist emails actually. I didn't put much thought into the lack of communication because I called and found out my waitlist status but I definitely understand OP's sentiments

Last edited:
Wtf. Only 5 oos acceptances? Stats?

Public Texas schools can only have 10% of the seats go to OOS students (state law mandates that the public schools seat 90% IS), so since UTRGV only has an inaugural class of 50 students (along with Dell Medical School), there will only be 5 oos acceptances.

Yeah i knew that. But i didnt know that the class size was so small. I saw north texas and they had like 20 ish seats open to oos

Yeah i knew that. But i didnt know that the class size was so small. I saw north texas and they had like 20 ish seats open to oos
Oh well yeah it's because of class size. UTH, UTSW, UTMB the schools with the largest class sizes have way larger OOS numbers.

Waitlist email this morning. No movement so far, very little chance for movement into the future.

It's March. Plenty of time left for WL movement!

Could someone please PM me the Secondary topic(s) for UTRGV? I was unable to find them on the school's website under FAQ :/

Could someone please PM me the Secondary topic(s) for UTRGV? I was unable to find them on the school's website under FAQ :/
They probably won't be available since UTRGV didn't have a secondary for their first application season.

Yeah, we don't know what they are because it was waived for us. It would be best to assume "why UTRGV" and an essay regarding your involvement in the community/some community focused essay.

There has been no movement recently. Expect movement (if any) to occur after April 30.

Update: The school will actually be admitting 54 students instead of the original 50 this cycle and those students have already been notified.

Wait what?? Did they accept 4 people off the waitlist?

how would you know they took someone from a wait list ? Maybe they offered a certain number of applicants a spot and had fewer people turn them down than expected. In that case they would feel bad taking back an offer because they misjudged their yield.

What happens June 1st? I am Out of State and am not sure what are the different traffic rules for TMDSAS for in-state applicants vs out of state applicants.
Texas med schools can only extend waitlist acceptance offers to those who haven't already been accepted to another Texas med school starting June 1. So that doesn't apply to you, unfortunately.