You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 UT Rio Grande Valley
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I was actually typing @wysdoc can you call your people and talk some sense!That would have been easy for them to do , I agree!
On a side note, someone mentioned they called UH and requested a specific date that wasn't open and got it. Rio Grande should be more congizant of how bad students feel in these types of situations and that answer is seriously lacking in cognizance of how poorly it reflects on the school.
LynnPierce
New Member
I actually just did my interview with them today! I had the same issue with dates not showing up. When I emailed them they told me to keep refreshing as well. Eventually I kept refreshing and was able to get a date. Once some slots did open it was for two days (the 1st and the 2nd of September), and they filled up extremely fast.
But there’s hope! Just keep refreshing!! Also, a program coordinator for admissions called me also trying to help me get a spot (she didn’t know I was able to do it online after I refreshed). She was really nice and even asked if there was a specific date I needed and she would try to arrange it…..so I’d say also keep your phone on because if you aren’t able to get a date through the ZAP portal someone may call you! It was her personal number though so idk if It would be appropriate for me to give it out…but definitely don’t give up hope!
But there’s hope! Just keep refreshing!! Also, a program coordinator for admissions called me also trying to help me get a spot (she didn’t know I was able to do it online after I refreshed). She was really nice and even asked if there was a specific date I needed and she would try to arrange it…..so I’d say also keep your phone on because if you aren’t able to get a date through the ZAP portal someone may call you! It was her personal number though so idk if It would be appropriate for me to give it out…but definitely don’t give up hope!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how they screen for secondaries?? I submitted my primary in June and got a secondary on Tuesday.
D
deleted1017762
Is it too late to submit this secondary? I have had some major technical issues lately and haven't been able to finish my video. A lot of my ECs are rural-related so I think I might be a good fit for this school? But I'm not sure.
Not too late 😊
For the first question where you have to describe your community, do they literally just want 3 adjectives? Or do we have to explain it too?
psychaspiring
Full Member
Just 3 adjectivesFor the first question where you have to describe your community, do they literally just want 3 adjectives? Or do we have to explain it too?
classydolphin
Full Member
Hey everyone, I have an interview coming up but I haven't seen any sort of itinerary. I only see the two times for my interviews. For those who have interviewed, is it just the interviews that day? There's no virtual presentations or tours or student panel? I'm worried I didn't get more information.
forclosure
Full Member
Hey I interview here this week. I believe that it is compromised of two 30 minute interviews, one that is blind and one that is open.Hey everyone, I have an interview coming up but I haven't seen any sort of itinerary. I only see the two times for my interviews. For those who have interviewed, is it just the interviews that day? There's no virtual presentations or tours or student panel? I'm worried I didn't get more information.
olive_tapenade
Full Member
I interviewed in Aug. It was only the two interviews listed, no other presentations so it goes by very quick! My understanding is that it is supposed to be one closed file and one open file, but I ended up with two closed file interviews and I think it went well. Very best of luck--its a great program!!Hey everyone, I have an interview coming up but I haven't seen any sort of itinerary. I only see the two times for my interviews. For those who have interviewed, is it just the interviews that day? There's no virtual presentations or tours or student panel? I'm worried I didn't get more information.
texaspremed45
Full Member
Interview invite today!! So excited! My first one
coconutnights
New Member
Received my interview invite yesterday and I applied EDP!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?Interview invite today! Don't lose hope "low stat" applicants!
On 8/24!Hi! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
premed_2026
New Member
My interviews were exactly 30 mins each. Did not receive any videos/resources directly from the school, but lots of resources are readily available on their website!For people who have interviewed here already, how long were your interviews? And did you receive any videos/resources to learn more about the school afterwards?
texaspremed45
Full Member
My first interview was exactly 30 minutes, and my second one lasted 50 minutesFor people who have interviewed here already, how long were your interviews? And did you receive any videos/resources to learn more about the school afterwards?
D
deleted1019379
First one was exactly 30 minutes and the second one went over and was about 35 minutes. For what it's worth, both of my interviewers were very welcoming and it felt very conversational as well.For people who have interviewed here already, how long were your interviews? And did you receive any videos/resources to learn more about the school afterwards?
Best of luck on Friday, when all y'all who applied Early Decision should find out your results! 👍👍
and hopefully none of these👎.

and hopefully none of these👎.Received an II in the last hr! Secondary completed 08/27
II Received this morning!
forclosure
Full Member
Since tomorrow the program will be releasing EDP decisions best luck to all.
I did have a question. I did not apply EDP however I did interview here mid-september. Does anyone think that I might get my result along with the EDP applicants as well?
Thank you.
I did have a question. I did not apply EDP however I did interview here mid-september. Does anyone think that I might get my result along with the EDP applicants as well?
Thank you.
texaspremed45
Full Member
I don’t think regular decision can hear back until 10/15 at the earliestSince tomorrow the program will be releasing EDP decisions best luck to all.
I did have a question. I did not apply EDP however I did interview here mid-september. Does anyone think that I might get my result along with the EDP applicants as well?
Thank you.
I received a II earlier this morning! I am super grateful and looking forward to the interview. Good Luck ya'll 🙂
I interviewed here like 3 weeks ago! It was very chill and my interviewers were very kind and easy to talk to! Good luck with your interview!I received a II earlier this morning! I am super grateful and looking forward to the interview. Good Luck ya'll 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you!!! Do you know how many days before the interview I'll know what times the two interviews will be? Also, were the interviews open-file or closed-file?I interviewed here like 3 weeks ago! It was very chill and my interviewers were very kind and easy to talk to! Good luck with your interview!
forclosure
Full Member
I think I got my times around 3-5 days before my interview date. Also one of the interviews are going to be open file and one of them should be closed file!Thank you!!! Do you know how many days before the interview I'll know what times the two interviews will be? Also, were the interviews open-file or closed-file?
So I think something was wrong with the website or they didn't have times available posted. I ended up calling the school after about like 4 days of refreshing the page. They got my information and someone from the school emailed me asking if I was available to interview the next week. So it was kinda all over the place lol.Thank you!!! Do you know how many days before the interview I'll know what times the two interviews will be? Also, were the interviews open-file or closed-file?
To answer your second question, there are a total of 2 30-minute interviews, one was open-file (the interviewer knew everything in my application) and the other was closed (interviewer only knew my name). LMK if you have any other questions! Good luck with your interview!
I'm excited about interviewing here! I really love these type of interview settings rather than MMI. Extremely blessed. Good luck everyone it's early!
Last edited:
Is it too late to submit the secondary here?
They will be interviewing up until January, so I’d say no! Just do it asap if you do end up submitting the secondary! The video you have to submit personally took me a while lolIs it too late to submit the secondary here?
Awesome I will try and submit in next two days but yeah the video upload is definitely gonna take a few practice runs on my end lolThey will be interviewing up until January, so I’d say no! Just do it asap if you do end up submitting the secondary! The video you have to submit personally took me a while lol
Interviewed here today. One is open file and the other is closed file. It was a super pleasant and engaging experience. I can't say enough good things about the interviewers and the whole process. To those interviewing here, just be yourself and try to relax. Enjoy it and good luck to everybody!
premed1998
Full Member
Does anyone know if they will be releasing prematch offers on 10/15? I understand they don’t have to. Just wondering if anyone has heard from admissions about this. Thanks!
2 years ago they sent a couple on the 17th but last year not until mid NovemberDoes anyone know if they will be releasing prematch offers on 10/15? I understand they don’t have to. Just wondering if anyone has heard from admissions about this. Thanks!
premed1998
Full Member
Thanks! I will do my best to remain patient haha2 years ago they sent a couple on the 17 th but last year not until mid November
Do you remember the names or your interviewers? Thanks!Interviewed here today. One is open file and the other is closed file. It was a super pleasant and engaging experience. I can't say enough good things about the interviewers and the whole process. To those interviewing here, just be yourself and try to relax. Enjoy it and good luck to everybody!
I do but I will keep that Info to myself though. Good luck to everyone interviewing at RTVG it will be a great experience!Do you remember the names or your interviewers? Thanks!
Do the interviewers respond back to our thank you emails?
texaspremed45
Full Member
One of mine did and the other one didn’tDo the interviewers respond back to our thank you emails?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both of mine didn't lolDo the interviewers respond back to our thank you emails?
It’s ok both of mine didn’t also RIPBoth of mine didn't lol
It is not common for interviewers to respond back to thank you notes and should not be expected. Those who do may have additional responsibility of trying to recruit students or do it out of courtesy.It’s ok both of mine didn’t also RIP
Lol with your stats and profile you’ll be having fun at T5 soonII tonight! I was at a wedding and completely wasn't expecting one so late